PDA

View Full Version : Night Rider

scrooge
05-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Because of my time crunch today I'm not going to be able to get a ride in during daylight hours. I was thinking about putting in an hour on the trainer ( :crap: ) but then remembered the lheadlight/ tail light sitting in my closet (purchased for when my wife was doing commutes at dawn). So I'm thinking about going for a night ride. Does anyone do this, or is this a foolish venture? Anyone have any tips?
By the way, partial motive is the 24 hr challenge I've signed up for--need to put some night hours in sometime, just not sure where.

TimD
05-26-2005, 04:53 PM
1. Use as many lights and reflectors, or reflective tape, as you can. Best if they are in motion as you ride.

2. Stick to roads you are familiar with. If you've had a big storm lately (why am I thinking of this??? :( ) try to avoid wooded areas as you'll likely encounter sticks on your path.

3. Keep a loose but firm grip on the bars, with bent elbows, to better absorb
any unexpected road shocks.

My $0.02

TimD

Ginger
05-26-2005, 05:02 PM
The more lights and reflective clothing the better!

One of my buddies who rides roads at night has a headlight on his helmet and a flashing white light on the bars, a tail light.

I add a flashing ankle band, and a few more blinky lights clipped to my clothes.

Ozz
05-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Did you get a headlight that lets drivers see you (most of them) or one that lets you see the road (light & motion & niterider)? I had the less expensive ones until I really needed to get out and get my rides in before sunrise...big difference between the two types....I picked up a Light & Motion ARC for about $295 (including shipping) off ebay....oh look, here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22689&item=7159319673&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

They have ones with fancier batteries, but this is a good start and the other batteries will work with this light....mounts to either helmet or bike....

Lots of reflective gear and lights are good recommendations too....as well as glasses with clear lenses...yellow lenses are not a substitute.

OT: got an All Clad stainless steel paella pan from same seller....very nice!

I am not related to seller, other than being a customer.....

scrooge
05-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the tips.
I ended up going with what I had in the house--I nighthawk (?) headlight, a Petzl headlamp strapped to my helmet, a cateye flashing taillight, and my high-vis Pearl Izumi jersey. It was a good time, but a little freaky. ONe of the fun things was that I felt like I was going much faster than I was (maybe night rides are good way to force recovery rides?). It was a challenge getting used to only being able to see such a short distance ahead of me, especially since the roads I ride on are pretty rough. I was just getting used to it when I got a flat. I decided that riding in the dark is one thing, changing a tire is another. I took the easy way out and had my wife come and pick me up.

All in all, it reaffirmed my desire for a nice Audax/Randoneering (sp?)/DBRK style bike decked out with a good lighting system. Maybe someday . . .

So does anyone here regularly ride at night on purpose?

vandeda
05-26-2005, 10:16 PM
So does anyone here regularly ride at night on purpose?

Scrooge,

That's me, I ride at night weekly because I commute to friends places, youth group, wherever ... and I don't want to be held back just 'cause it's dark out. I ride in the winter when it gets dark out around 4:30 pm, so I'm riding to my destination in the dark, and back home in the dark. I run a blinking taillight and Planet Bike Alias 8/12/15W headlight ... 8W is usually adequate.

Hmmm ... some of us at work are planning a midnight century at some point too which I think will be a blast.

I agree with Tim ... stick with roads you know best. My rim is in bad shape on my commuter from a pothole. Bent the rim so bad that the tire was rubbing the frame, and I had to put the wheel in the frame crooked to make it home. All spokes were still in tension ... well, except for one which was in serious compression (on a 36 hole rim no less). A hammer, vise grips and a bench vise got the rim back into a semi-round shape until my new set arrives.

Bike paths are your friend if you have them. I looooooove riding the bike path with no lights (if there is enough moonlight). It's almost magical. The best roads are those that you know have wide, clean shoulders, but if you're commuting like me, that's not always possible unfortunately.

And oh yes .... clear glasses are good. I still don't have a pair, and the wind can just get irritating to the eyes.

So there you have it ... two thumbs up from me. I find night riding can be soooo peaceful because the roads are empty and it can be so quiet out. :banana:

Dan

scrooge
05-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey Vandeda,
Where in NY is Niskayuna located? (My wife's from the Rochester area--Palmyra).

vandeda
05-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Albany NY area .... so about 4 hrs east of Rochestor. Ahhhh ... as a better indicator, it's about 45 minutes south of Serotta's home in Saratoga Springs :D

BTW ... tonight is my weekly night ride ... good & bad ride. Couple dumb drivers, my left leg feels really weird, flatted about 1/2 mile from leaving youth group while it was raining & dark ...

but then, it was beautiful out, I got to talk w/a couple cops as I was coming out of the woods from a bathroom break (it was kinda amusing actually), and I found a pair of cheap, but usable sunglasses :D

Dan