PDA

View Full Version : Power shift-vs-Ultra Shift

jeduardo
03-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Hello all just a few quick ones.
I'm Campy to the core but I've yet to graduate from 10spd to 11, but now I'm getting ready to receive my new custom frame and I guess 11 is the way to go
I can save a few 2010 Athena Ultra Shift over 2011 Powershift but the question is this...
As returning Cat3 crit racer (injury/poor fitness forced sabbatical) who tend to drop/pick up gears rather rapidly am choosing one system over the other (I usually don't worry about mimicking what the pros use since they are paid to race whatever they are given)?
I've heard that the Powershift mechanism going to shift very much in the same way the older "escape" shifters did (for better or worse) is this true?
So if you're gonna go Ultrashift, where would your mechanical issues lie?
Thank you for any info

oldpotatoe
03-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Hello all just a few quick ones.
I'm Campy to the core but I've yet to graduate from 10spd to 11, but now I'm getting ready to receive my new custom frame and I guess 11 is the way to go
I can save a few 2010 Athena Ultra Shift over 2011 Powershift but the question is this...
As returning Cat3 crit racer (injury/poor fitness forced sabbatical) who tend to drop/pick up gears rather rapidly am choosing one system over the other (I usually don't worry about mimicking what the pros use since they are paid to race whatever they are given)?
I've heard that the Powershift mechanism going to shift very much in the same way the older "escape" shifters did (for better or worse) is this true?
So if you're gonna go Ultrashift, where would your mechanical issues lie?
Thank you for any info

One higher gear at a time with Powershift, able to 'dump' to higher gears with Ultra shift. Both work fine. Save the $, get the 2010 stuff.

jeduardo
03-05-2011, 08:39 PM
I meant to say thanks OP for the response and advice. I've put in the request for the 2010 w/LBS this afternoon

One higher gear at a time with Powershift, able to 'dump' to higher gears with Ultra shift. Both work fine. Save the $, get the 2010 stuff.