PDA

View Full Version : Advice: cheap bike

Skrawny
03-04-2011, 05:39 PM
So here's the deal:
My brother in law, who lives in Chicago, has asked me for help selecting a bike. He doesn't make a whole bunch of money, and when I asked him what his budget was he said: "Basically just looking for a "decent" bike that'll get me from point a to point b without breaking down or costing me a lot in maintence....so is $500 good?"

He is an avid runner who has enjoyed running half-marathons. He is specifically looking for a bike for his relatively short commute to work, but admits to me that there is a POSSIBILITY that he could get into cycling as a sport. He also said he would "prefer the kind of bike with drop handlebars rather than flat"

Most of the bikes on this forum cost more than 10X that. But I know there are many people here who know a lot about a lot of bikes.

My brother in law does not know about bikes and I live in a different state, so -although I acknowledge that a used bike is the best way to get value/$, I am not there to check out anything he would get and weed out the lemons.

When I looked at the market for entry level bikes, here is the sense I get:
1) entry level road bike $700-800
2) entry level road bike that won't very quickly limit the rider if he finds he likes the sport ~$1000
3) <$700 are "hybrid" or "fitness" bikes that appear to lack quality and performance, and although are decent bikes that will get him from a to b, will squelch rather than kindle any spark of interest in cycling he may have.

Am I right?
Any suggestions or recommendations?

-s

AngryScientist
03-04-2011, 05:46 PM
the first pertinent question, with a small budget, in my mind is this:

does he really need gears? if the answer is not really, you can get a really great single speed bicycle for cheap money. other than weight, what makes a cheap bike feel cheap is lack of quality and adjustment of the drivetrain and wheels, if he chooses a single speed bike, with a SENSIBLE gear ratio, that could be a great place to start and get the feel of cycling without the complexity and decisions that come with a multi-gear set-up.

that's where i would start...

Ken Robb
03-04-2011, 05:57 PM
He won't have many hills riding in Chicago. Maybe a Forumite in Chicago could steer him to a decent used bike for $500.

Nil Else
03-04-2011, 06:03 PM
What would be his size?

Skrawny
03-04-2011, 06:12 PM
He is all torso:
5'9" with a 30" inseam.

-s

biker72
03-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Your LBS may have some leftover 2010 models that they would like to clear out. Some of these can get discounted quite a bit.

Sam in VA
03-04-2011, 07:08 PM
the first pertinent question, with a small budget, in my mind is this:

does he really need gears? if the answer is not really, you can get a really great single speed bicycle for cheap money. other than weight, what makes a cheap bike feel cheap is lack of quality and adjustment of the drivetrain and wheels, if he chooses a single speed bike, with a SENSIBLE gear ratio, that could be a great place to start and get the feel of cycling without the complexity and decisions that come with a multi-gear set-up.

that's where i would start...

+1, but remember that Chicago is known as "The Windy City". Maybe a flip-flop hub with a bail out single speed gear?

asava
03-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Totally understand the bit about being able to check it out, but I've boughten plenty of used bike stuff and bikes online. There's no reason you couldn't craigslist it and use something like paypal to protect his investment. Chicago is just too good of a market for used bikes to pass up the chance at a great deal. Hopeyou find something! Another good option is a one or two year old schwinn Madison. Good looking and functional for most.

oliver1850
03-04-2011, 07:41 PM

jaykosta
03-05-2011, 08:32 AM
For a mostly flat-ground short distance commuter, I suggest a single-speed, fat tire, coaster brake, with fenders and chain guard & kick stand. And get a comfortable saddle.
If seatpost is too short, use a piece of iron pipe. Just use flat pedals, no clips or straps.

Buy used, or from thrift store - just make sure everything works. New from Sears is about $200.

A bike like that (I use mine on 30 mile rides) is dependable, and good exercise. and it is not likely to be stolen. With the seat at the correct height, and handlbars adjusted for comfort, a good position is possible and the bike is really rideable. FYI, I'm 5'10", 165 lbs.

For commuting, I carried dry clothes in a waterproof bag inside a backpack. Shoes kept at work.

Carry a replacement tire tube and basic tools, pump optional if there are gas stations along the route.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Lifelover
03-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Don't over complicate this for you or him.

Anything along the lines of this Fuji from Performance will be fine. I rode a Sora drive chain for many miles problem free.

Fuji Newest 3.0 (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1077564_-1_20000__400309)

This one has rear rack mounts but I don't think it has front fender mounts. If you think he needs fenders than just keep looking around. Nashbar, bikesdirect or somebody will have a $500 bike that suits his needs.

He can get a comparable bike from an LBS for $50 - $100 more and they will offer help with fit and tune ups.

sin911
03-05-2011, 08:50 AM
have him drop by Performance Bicycle Shop on Halsted and Diversey if he has a budget of $500. Any bike purchase comes with free lifetime adjustments if he's not the hands on type. Another shop he can go to is The Bike Lane on Milwaukee.. They have some great deals on the 2010 models.

godfrey1112000
03-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Craigslist is full of bikes in Chicago Land, there is one frame on CL that would fit him perfect, but the additional cost of the components would blow the budget

I can understand keeping the initial cost low to see if this works out.

the other suggestions of the 2010 models and potential clearance sales is the way I would go,

also maybe a friend has his size in a garage and it can be borrowed

Lewym
03-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Last summer, at the OR coast, I rented an entry level Giant Defy (the one that runs $700-800 new) and took it for a 40-some mile loop that included climbs, headwinds, rollers, etc. . . I was surprised and favorably impressed. The Sora shifters moved the chain just fine (and felt more like knock-off Campy than Shimano) and the ride quality was actually very nice. Alu has come a long way in ride quality compared to my early 90s Cannondale.

If you want to go new, I could see a bike like this being a perfect intro for the purposes described. Low initial $ commitment, and if your bro-in-law decides that he is into cycling, it wouldn't be an absurd platform for better wheels and something like veloce, 105, rival-level components.

Another value-play that intrigues me is the Specialized Allez Steel which runs about $600 (seeing $525 on close-out on the interwebs in a 3 second search). Tig welded, traditional geo, cromoly frame/fork with DA downtube shifters. Something like that might be a nice compromise for the flatlands. You get gears (that you probably don't need) for cheap, the weight isn't likely to be an issue and a very solid platform for upgrade to modern shifters.

We live a little bit out of the mainstream on this board - and that's OK. I am as big an offender as any here. :beer: But there are entry level bikes like the Defy that none of us typically ride that don't suck at all and serve their intended purpose well.

onsight512
03-05-2011, 10:17 AM
I'll chime in with the folks suggesting a single speed. Apart from a brief foray into mountain biking seven or eight years ago, I really hadn't ridden a bike since I was a teenager. I wanted something for commuting to work (12 miles, roundtrip). My budget was the same as you brother-in-law's.
The ss turned out to be the perfect choice. Nice bike, in my budget, and simple to maintain.

veloduffer
03-05-2011, 10:37 AM
A good start would be buying a used cross bike or frame, and outfitting with a 1x9 (or 1x7-8) drivetrain. You could use a bar-end shifter or thumbshifter (for a flat bar). Plenty of good old wheels with 7 or 8-spd spacing.

For example, I managed to get a Empella aluminum frameset for $100. It was a few years old with a small dent in the top tube (cosmetic). I plan to make it into a 1x7 flat bar townie type bike.

You could probably find a Redline cross frame pretty cheap and it would have clearance for wide and knobby tires.

Scott Shire
03-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Angry Scientist raises a great point. If one gear works,
Mercier Kilo TT (http://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott.htm)
is $359 shipped w/ brakes. It's the best of the cheapo singlespeeds.

If multiple gears are essential, the bikefag has done all the work for you... ;)
Bikefag's Broke-Ass Buyer's Guide for Road Bikes (http://bikefag.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/bikefag-broke-ass-buyers-guide-for-road-bikes/)

hiljentaa
03-05-2011, 05:52 PM
If he wants gears, I'd definitely go with a used steel bike. A nice road or cyclocross bike from the 90's or early 2000's can easily be had for ~$500.

If he wants a singlespeed, I'd build up a Kilo from the frameset on Bikeisland (especially if you have some parts lying around).

Fixed
03-05-2011, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Shire]Angry Scientist raises a great point. If one gear works,
Mercier Kilo TT (http://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott.htm)
is $359 shipped w/ brakes. It's the best of the cheapo singlespeeds.

If multiple gears are essential, the bikefag has done all the work for you... ;)
Bikefag's Broke-Ass Buyer's Guide for Road Bikes (http://bikefag.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/bikefag-broke-ass-buyers-guide-for-road-bikes/)[/QUOTE

+ 1
always listen to scott he is very wise
cheers

thwart
03-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Bikefag: 9-speed Dura Ace rules.

Sure there are other hassle-free groups.

All Campy groups come to mind. But Dura Ace has higher coolness. Campy 9-speed and non-carbon Campy 10-speed groups work just fine, but they’re ugly and thus lower your bike’s coolness.

Interesting. Entertaining writing, but obviously the guy has a screw loose.

I'd agree with those who vote for a older nice steel bike with a 8 or 9 speed group. He'll learn how to ride a 'real' road bike, the bike will be lively and enjoyable, and the mechanics of shifting and such will be similar to the bike he'd move up to if he has the desire to do so later. And... he could turn around and sell it for pretty much what he paid.

Fixed
03-05-2011, 06:45 PM
campy is always cool even the lower priced groups
my best season of racing was on chorus 9 speed
cheers

soul survivor
03-06-2011, 02:41 PM
I rode (and still own) a Specialized Allez -- paid about $800 for it about 10 years ago. Still rides fine (like yesterday) and I'd buy it again in a minute if I was your friend. Have had only minor repairs and I'm certain the current Allez blows away mine.

oliver1850
03-06-2011, 07:22 PM

drewski
03-06-2011, 07:56 PM
So here's the deal:
My brother in law, who lives in Chicago, has asked me for help selecting a bike. He doesn't make a whole bunch of money, and when I asked him what his budget was he said: "Basically just looking for a "decent" bike that'll get me from point a to point b without breaking down or costing me a lot in maintence....so is $500 good?"

He is an avid runner who has enjoyed running half-marathons. He is specifically looking for a bike for his relatively short commute to work, but admits to me that there is a POSSIBILITY that he could get into cycling as a sport. He also said he would "prefer the kind of bike with drop handlebars rather than flat"

Most of the bikes on this forum cost more than 10X that. But I know there are many people here who know a lot about a lot of bikes.

My brother in law does not know about bikes and I live in a different state, so -although I acknowledge that a used bike is the best way to get value/$, I am not there to check out anything he would get and weed out the lemons.

When I looked at the market for entry level bikes, here is the sense I get:
1) entry level road bike $700-800
2) entry level road bike that won't very quickly limit the rider if he finds he likes the sport ~$1000
3) <$700 are "hybrid" or "fitness" bikes that appear to lack quality and performance, and although are decent bikes that will get him from a to b, will squelch rather than kindle any spark of interest in cycling he may have.

Am I right?
Any suggestions or recommendations?

-s

A road bicycle in Chicago are you kidding me? Maybe if you have some
bicycling wrenching skills and the tools yes. But if someone is a newb
and you are riding in a urban, and tough environment like Chicago
may i be so bold as to recommend a German style commuter.
Think mountain bikeish components, bullet proof frame, disk brakes,
belt driven, fenders. City of broad shoulders beefy bike.

I am not affiliated with this person

Check this out on ebay. These German bicycles what you need for commuting in Chicago. Depending on his size. These frames are in a large whatever that means. These are
great size they offer up the durability of a mountain bike with size wheels
of road bike. The tires are 40cm wide. Very stable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400161531155&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Aaron O
03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
The two answers that immediately pop to mind are buying used and Bikes Direct. To go used he'll need someone who really knows his stuff helping/accompanying him.

hockeybike
03-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks to bikefag, I may have convinced a friend to go from cheap beater to something with that certain 'je ne sais quoi.' Thanks for posting that link, and bleeding another person of their income...