PDA

View Full Version : Great NAHBS thread across the hall

Lifelover
03-04-2011, 01:45 PM
NAHBS brain dump (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/nahbs-brain-dump-20180.html)

For anyone interested in NAHBS past and future, this thread is a great read. At one point it was growning faster than I could read it.

I know some will think it's taboo or bad form to link another cycling forum's thread here, but this is the type of discussion that can only happen there. If any mods feel this way, please delete.

JMerring
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM
where's across the hall?

sorry, couldn't resist. :crap: and then :) and then :crap: and finally :beer:

fiamme red
03-04-2011, 01:57 PM
where's across the hall?Damn, you beat me to it! :crap:

Ahneida Ride
03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I knew it was only a matter of time ... :crap:

Please ..... Lets' keeps this civil. :beer:

Dave B
03-04-2011, 02:03 PM
In all seriousness it is a good thread. Regardless of how people feel for specific personalities, the ideas and complete transparancy is very good.

There is a tremendous amount of pride in displaying work you create for others to be judged. I respect the builders all of them, regardless of how i feel personally about them for the guts it takes to be subjected to critics.

NAHBS has changed from show one. Listening to people who have different goals, opinions, and names in the game discuss it is incredibly cool.

Put aside and issues you have personally and read what they write, it is write, some have some incredible insight.

JMerring
03-04-2011, 02:05 PM
In all seriousness it is a good thread. Regardless of how people feel for specific personalities, the ideas and complete transparancy is very good.

There is a tremendous amount of pride in displaying work you create for others to be judged. I respect the builders all of them, regardless of how i feel personally about them for the guts it takes to be subjected to critics.

NAHBS has changed from show one. Listening to people who have different goals, opinions, and names in the game discuss it is incredibly cool.

Put aside and issues you have personally and read what they write, it is write, some have some incredible insight.

well said. for the record, i have absolutely no issues of any kind with anyone or anything over "there."

BumbleBeeDave
03-04-2011, 02:11 PM
NAHBS brain dump (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/nahbs-brain-dump-20180.html)

For anyone interested in NAHBS past and future, this thread is a great read. At one point it was growning faster than I could read it.

I know some will think it's taboo or bad form to link another cycling forum's thread here, but this is the type of discussion that can only happen there. If any mods feel this way, please delete.

. . . as a mod with linking to "their" thread. Nor would I have any with them linking to a thread over here as long as it is done in the spirit of sharing interesting information on cycling rather than either group trying to make the other look bad.

It's all great cycling info and I would participate more over there--or just hang out--if I had the time to do it. I wonder how others find the time . . . :rolleyes: :confused:

BBD

dekindy
03-04-2011, 02:51 PM
The members here that are members over there will see it. The members here that are not members there cannot see it. What is the point of posting information about over there here?

I applied for membership over there and did not receive confirmation. So I could care less about what is going on over there. I am really sick of seeing threads about over there or even seeing references to it. Any doubt as how I feel about hearing about over there?

BumbleBeeDave
03-04-2011, 04:45 PM
The members here that are members over there will see it. The members here that are not members there cannot see it. What is the point of posting information about over there here?

I applied for membership over there and did not receive confirmation. So I could care less about what is going on over there. I am really sick of seeing threads about over there or even seeing references to it. Any doubt as how I feel about hearing about over there?

. . . but I'm wondering why you can't read anything over there. I darted in earlier in the day without signing in and it was fully visible.

BBD

e-RICHIE
03-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Regardless of how people feel for specific personalities, the ideas and complete transparency is very good.

ya - it's a win/win thread atmo.
i hope it touches all sides.

arrange disorder

:) :) :)
:) :) :)
:) :cool: :D

Lifelover
03-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Strong opinions for someone that couldn't care less.

As Dave said, it is not true that you have to be a member to lurk. There have been a few short periods over the years where they blocked it to non members. I have no idea why that was but both were short lived.

JeffS
03-04-2011, 06:35 PM

Oh come on...

People here post links to other internet sites all the time. Hell, the classifieds are full of links to craigslist and ebay items.

It's just a link, and you don't have to be a member to read it.

eddief
03-04-2011, 06:55 PM
and I find the conversation sorta interesting. A sliding scale for exhibitors is an interesting idea. Keeping out the big guys is an interesting idea. Big guys pay, little guys get in free.

Made me wonder how much value this could bring to the "average" one at a time framebuilder.

Does this already exist?

I was thinking some sort of really well put together "virtual" marketplace for one person framebuilders would be great. Think of what it costs for each builder to do a show ie Dave Kirk = $6-12K. Dave already has is own great website/blog, but what if there was a humongous well done virtual marketplace for builders. Photos, videos, interviews, hi hi res, live webinars!!!!! Or at least a website that aggregates all the individual sites.

Great photos, good copy writing, and the telephone is not like being there face to face, but pretty damn effective.

Frankwurst
03-04-2011, 07:09 PM
ya - it's a win/win thread atmo.
i hope it touches all sides. :D

One of the best threads on any forum I've read. :beer:

dekindy
03-04-2011, 07:47 PM
I am sick of seeing references to "Over There" and "Across the hall", the inevitable questions about what it is, and all that goes with it. Why don't you just treat them like any other forum instead of this "Over There" crap. It is a broken record.

soul survivor
03-04-2011, 08:04 PM
One thing I can tell you -- those posters "across the hall" include some truly NASTY individuals, from personal experience. I won't get into the details, because that would start another pissing contest.

Dave B
03-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I am sick of seeing references to "Over There" and "Across the hall", the inevitable questions about what it is, and all that goes with it. Why don't you just treat them like any other forum instead of this "Over There" crap. It is a broken record.

But why does it bother you? I cannot imagine that you have any less value to who you are as a person if you are or are not accepted there. Hell I literally add nothing of significance there other then moronic jokes and "that's what she said" comments. In fact I don't really add much quality content at either place, yet the conversations there differ from here and I can expand my knowledge. I don' t think this pseudo Hatfield vs. McCoy mentality helps.

Regardless of the thread's resting place, the information is genuinely succinct and clever. Talented talented men are showing all of their cards and to a complete moron like myself it is terribly fascinating. There are builders who are incredibly quality individuals that I would admire if they made sandwiches at subway. Richard Sachs, Tim O'Donnell, Dave Kirk, Don Walker, and Dazza all share incredible amounts of class and their views on this industry are as meaningful as any I have ever read.

It sucks when folks cannot see the value in the wisdom shared due to the amount of starch in their shorts.

In the words of one of today's greatest philosophers...."Every rose has it's thorn!" - Bret Michaels

rounder
03-04-2011, 09:35 PM
I think that being across the hall means that we are neighbors and that we all like bikes. A lot of those guys are us.

Lifelover
03-04-2011, 09:39 PM
... Why don't you just treat them like any other forum instead of this "Over There" crap. It is a broken record.

Because I can barely spell "across" (get confused with the number of C's) and sure as hell can't spell velocipede.

Why would you open a thread that has "across the hall" in the title?

Ahneida Ride
03-04-2011, 10:09 PM
I cann;t speel att alle. and that is the truth ! :hello:

Fixed
03-04-2011, 10:25 PM
i can't spell any of the serotta line but i still like them
cheers

William
03-05-2011, 02:28 PM
http://hwcdn.themoviedb.org/posters/035/4c35ffa87b9aa102cb000035/across-the-hall-original.jpg

William ;) :)

BumbleBeeDave
03-05-2011, 03:12 PM
. . . TooTall was having some surgery, but . . . Wow.

:D ;)

BBD

Smiley
03-05-2011, 05:07 PM
About going to NAHBS this year and we could not justify the time or expense of this show. What we did instead is target our marketing in my area to having Kelly be the featured speaker at PPTC's annual cycling club meeting (Potomac Pedaler Touring Club at www.bikepptc.org ) and I arranged a meet and greet at my home for friends of Kelly Bedford bikes ie: folks that bought Bedfords and Serotta's and got fits from me which netted us 30 plus folks that came to my home for a nice event where we has some Bedford bikes on display as well some sexy Wrap from Ray (BTW this was or second meet and greet of this nature, as we did one last year before NAHBS Richmond).
In the end the results spoke louder than words as a direct result of these 2 events not more than 8 hours away from Kelly's shop we have Three Ti road bikes on order now and some other stuff percolating in the pipe line. So I see where Zank and others are struggling with. We did the same mental excersie and decided to fish in proven waters. We will not rule out NAHBS for the future but Austin was too far to drive and take our products on the road.

CNY rider
03-05-2011, 05:45 PM
About going to NAHBS this year and we could not justify the time or expense of this show. What we did instead is target our marketing in my area to having Kelly be the featured speaker at PPTC's annual cycling club meeting (Potomac Pedaler Touring Club at www.bikepptc.org ) and I arranged a meet and greet at my home for friends of Kelly Bedford bikes ie: folks that bought Bedfords and Serotta's and got fits from me which netted us 30 plus folks that came to my home for a nice event where we has some Bedford bikes on display as well some sexy Wrap from Ray (BTW this was or second meet and greet of this nature, as we did one last year before NAHBS Richmond).
In the end the results spoke louder than words as a direct result of these 2 events not more than 8 hours away from Kelly's shop we have Three Ti road bikes on order now and some other stuff percolating in the pipe line. So I see where Zank and others are struggling with. We did the same mental excersie and decided to fish in proven waters. We will not rule out NAHBS for the future but Austin was too far to drive and take our products on the road.
Smiley lots of "we's" in there.
Are you ,Kelly and Ray in business together or are you just an enthusiastic supporter?

BumbleBeeDave
03-05-2011, 07:32 PM
. . . that Smiley is a very strong supporter of Kelly. And for good reason.

While I am not a Bedford owner, I'm looking forward to it. Take a look at what he does. One cannot see what kind of work he does without also becoming a supporter.

BBD

Smiley
03-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Smiley lots of "we's" in there.
Are you ,Kelly and Ray in business together or are you just an enthusiastic supporter?
I am the representative for K Bedford frames in the Washington Metro area. Kelly designated me this prestigeous title last year before NHABS Richmond. I have sold about 15 so far since I was offically made the area dealer. I guess this makes it OK for me to use "We" as I am sure Kelly and I have a pretty good meeting of the minds :) Yeah and as Ray would say it NO BEDFORD can go Bra Less :banana: so all my Bedford sales get a Bra Treatment too.

Seriously I would sell Bedford's without the Title cause I believe in the guy and his body of work. I am proud to own 2 of his works of rolling art and my wife Karen will recieve shortly a Legend Ti of hers re-sized and coupled to her new fit measurements. This is another marketing idea WE hatched up when Dekonick pressed me to ask Kelly to cut and couple and re-size his beloved Hors Cat so we added Karen's Legend Ti to that list too. I think this will be a very good valued added proposition to re-cycle and re-size Legend's or Merlins etc before you give them away for peanuts.

I am excited as Ray is in helping K Bedford Customs grow from the ground up.

CNY rider
03-06-2011, 06:40 AM
I am the representative for K Bedford frames in the Washington Metro area. Kelly designated me this prestigeous title last year before NHABS Richmond. I have sold about 15 so far since I was offically made the area dealer. I guess this makes it OK for me to use "We" as I am sure Kelly and I have a pretty good meeting of the minds :) Yeah and as Ray would say it NO BEDFORD can go Bra Less :banana: so all my Bedford sales get a Bra Treatment too.

Seriously I would sell Bedford's without the Title cause I believe in the guy and his body of work. I am proud to own 2 of his works of rolling art and my wife Karen will recieve shortly a Legend Ti of hers re-sized and coupled to her new fit measurements. This is another marketing idea WE hatched up when Dekonick pressed me to ask Kelly to cut and couple and re-size his beloved Hors Cat so we added Karen's Legend Ti to that list too. I think this will be a very good valued added proposition to re-cycle and re-size Legend's or Merlins etc before you give them away for peanuts.

I am excited as Ray is in helping K Bedford Customs grow from the ground up.

That is really excellent.
You are connecting cyclists with a great builder; it sounds like everyone wins. :beer: