PDA

View Full Version : Firefly # 1 looked good!

Pegoready
03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I'll let the FF guys debut pics of their own bike, but it is sweet.

rugbysecondrow
03-04-2011, 12:09 PM
That decal needs to be toned down some. Its a bike, not a bill board.

avalonracing
03-04-2011, 12:12 PM
That decal needs to be toned down some. Its a bike, not a bill board.

Agreed but it is still less doofy than the IF logo.

rugbysecondrow
03-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Agreed but it is still less doofy than the IF logo.

Agreed...to Litespeed-ish a logo for me.

pdbrye
03-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Where's the pic? It's not on the website.

mosca
03-04-2011, 04:06 PM
up now

http://fireflybicycles.com/599

BumbleBeeDave
03-04-2011, 04:41 PM
. . . but other than that I'm struggling to see anything really, really distinctive about it.

I recognize they want to show off the metalwork and welds, but it looks kinda plain with no paint or color at all.

BBD

Tim Porter
03-04-2011, 04:50 PM
I kinda like the logo/font/whatever on the downtube, and I wish them all the best, but did anyone else look at the firefly headtube badge and think it looks like a Serotta "S", at least on first impression? Tim

BCS
03-04-2011, 04:50 PM
. . .

I recognize they want to show off the metalwork and welds, but it looks kinda plain with no paint or color at all.

BBD

I think that is the point. Kinda like the plain Ti Legend on this website's homepage-both are classic. Nice paint can hide mediocre welds

rwsaunders
03-04-2011, 05:04 PM
I kinda like the logo/font/whatever on the downtube, and I wish them all the best, but did anyone else look at the firefly headtube badge and think it looks like a Serotta "S", at least on first impression? Tim

Yes....I only shared my thoughts with Charlie Sheen, though...

Tim Porter
03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
LOL, let it all hang out, man.

SEABREEZE
03-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Two observations, where the bottom bracket and down tube connect, it looks like they stoped welding, and a hairline space exists and picked up welding on the otherside. not all continuous.

Disclaimer I am not a welder, so dont know if thats cool or not

The other is they only have two fasteners centered in the logo, top and bottom, and it appears one could snag the end where it raps around head tube and possibly rip it off

Other than that, bike looks great

Wish them the best

Lifelover
03-04-2011, 05:40 PM
I'll let the FF guys debut pics of their own bike, but it is sweet.

I understand the sentiment but I would be very surprised if they come here to do it.

I would think a link would be fine.

bicycletricycle
03-04-2011, 06:09 PM
you cant weld a tube onto a bicycle in one go, it is always a start stop kinda deal. double pass welds help hide this. i wish there was a better shop of the dropouts. Dropouts are a big deal for me.

the bike looks nice

mike p
03-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Looks like a great well made bike, but I don't see anything that seperates firefly from at least a half dozen other small builders. The headtube badge looks cheap and needs to go.

Mike

JeffS
03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Looks ok.

Plenty of qualified guys who will build me the same thing for less though.

John M
03-04-2011, 06:36 PM
I like that---a lot.

I don't get the negative comments.

From what I have read, Tyler considers his skills to be equal to anybody and probably feels that they justify top of the line prices.

Pretty sure that Firefly is not trying to compete with Soma or Surly.....

JeffS
03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't get the negative comments.

From what I have read, Tyler considers his skills to be equal to anyones and probably feels that they justify top of the line prices.

Obviously he does.

I guess some of us thought this was an honest discussion of the bike, not just a free advertising lovefest for the company.

BumbleBeeDave
03-04-2011, 06:49 PM
. . . that honest commentary was being solicited. So those are my honest comments. I know nothing of these guys except they used to work at Indy Fab. so my views are filtered through that lens. I think my situation probably is similar to many others. I see what Indy Fab HAS made and how impressed I am by much of it. Then I look at this bike and I'm thinking they used to work at Indy Fab so I'm expecting something that looks like what I've already seen from that maker.

It's a decent looking bike but by no means makes me go "Wow!" . . .

BBD

John M
03-05-2011, 11:32 AM
The proof or lack thereof will be in the sales. If Tyler and company at Firefly have a product that justifies the price in the buyers eyes and a successful business model, then they will survive. If not, then they won't.

oldpotatoe
03-05-2011, 02:24 PM
up now

http://fireflybicycles.com/599

Shame they used the FSA crank rather than a far better Campagnolo crank and BB30/46 cups.

William
03-05-2011, 02:30 PM
My first thought was DEAN. I like it.

William

moran
03-05-2011, 04:32 PM
My first thought was, for those prices I would buy from Serotta, Seven, IF, Moots, or other....a company whose been around a while and I could count on the warranty if needed.

that guy
03-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Agreed...to Litespeed-ish a logo for me.

Good eye. The design firm that helped Firefly with its ID and branding - ID29 (http://www.id29.com/work.html) -also developed the current Litespeed look.

Dave B
03-06-2011, 06:43 AM
The bike also has the first shaped XCR stainless tubing...ever.

While that may not jump out of you that is pretty significant.

mike p
03-06-2011, 09:07 AM
This is true and it is significant. It was lost on me, tend to think of any naked bike as being TI. Not sure if it changes my overall thoughts or not.

Mike

bicycletricycle
03-06-2011, 09:30 AM
i was thinking that the tubes would be more heavily shaped. They compare them to max but these look much less ovalized. I am thinking these are getting smashed in a vice.

cincicycles
03-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Subtle tie to their roots. The "I" on the downtube is highlighted orange along with the "F" on the headtube. Hmmm

Derailer
03-07-2011, 10:45 AM
I think they did a great job with the brand name and the decals.

ultraman6970
03-07-2011, 11:08 AM
The bike looks good, wish them luck :)

spacemen3
03-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Remove the obnoxiously large ENVE and FSA branding, and it would really look classy. I like.

jerome
06-20-2011, 03:32 PM
I do agree with you Mike - no difference with any others frame builder and most are making nicer bikes, more artisanal.
The hardwares are said to come from Paragon MW in CA.
After it takes a while to establish a brand and hone its products.
You can't become Serotta or Moots over night, it is a long team effort, for anybody even for well seasoned pro.

there is no spontaneous generation he

Peter B
06-22-2011, 08:46 AM
<snip>

...no difference with any others frame builder and most are making nicer bikes, more artisanal.

....it takes a while to establish a brand and hone its products.

Look again.

http://fireflybicycles.com/1587

Liberace
06-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Look again.

Holy crap.............that thing is so well thought out and the execution is flawless.

fiamme red
06-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Look again.

http://fireflybicycles.com/1587UltraCommuter? Nice craftsmanship, but it's just a race bike with custom-made flat bars.

buldogge
06-22-2011, 09:07 AM
World's better...If they take the direction of doing subtle, interesting builds like this I would think they would find a niche.

-Mark in St. Louis

Look again.

CNY rider
06-22-2011, 09:25 AM
UltraCommuter? Nice craftsmanship, but it's just a race bike with custom-made flat bars.

Agree.
As a real world, year-round commuter I don't know how you would do it without fenders and lights.
Unless you only commute when it's sunny and 70F outside.

But that is a really beautiful bicycle. :beer:

cody.wms
06-22-2011, 09:35 AM
As a real world, year-round commuter I don't know how you would do it without fenders and lights.

I agree, but I'm guessing that cat has a "bad weather" commuter, too.

fiamme red
06-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Agree.

But that is a really beautiful bicycle. :beer:It's a "Stealth Fair Weather Commuter." :)

There are no provisions for carrying anything either.

Germany_chris
06-22-2011, 09:44 AM
I like it!! can't/won't afford it but I looks nice I even like the headtube badge and decals

Mark McM
06-22-2011, 10:09 AM
It's a "Stealth Fair Weather Commuter." :)

There are no provisions for carrying anything either.

I'm having trouble seeing what makes this bike specifically a "cummuter." Other than the flat bars and triple cranks, it looks like a traditional road racing frame - short chainstays, short wheelbase, minimal tire clearance (even with skinny tires), no fender/rack eyelets, no pump peg, etc. Okay, there's one thing missing that a road racing frame usually has -no water bottle bosses.

I think the only "commuter" aspect is what the owner actually does with it, not what the frame is actually optimized for. (Not that there's anything wrong with that - I often commute to work on my road bike as well.)

rugbysecondrow
06-22-2011, 10:16 AM
You are mistaken, this is a, "Stealth UltraCommuter", not just a commuter. Anyway, it seems this is what the customer wanted, so that is what the customer got. Pretty cool if you ask me. Not what I would spend my money on, but cool none the less. A titanium bar mounted coffee holder would have been a nice touch. :)

"The Titanium Stealth UltraCommuter, Bertone Edition, was an exciting challenge for us. We dove headfirst into making all aspects of the bike meet the specific needs of the customer and its intended use…"

I'm having trouble seeing what makes this bike specifically a "cummuter." Other than the flat bars and triple cranks, it looks like a traditional road racing frame - short chainstays, short wheelbase, minimal tire clearance (even with skinny tires), no fender/rack eyelets, no pump peg, etc. Okay, there's one thing missing that a road racing frame usually has -no water bottle bosses.

I think the only "commuter" aspect is what the owner actually does with it, not what the frame is actually optimized for. (Not that there's anything wrong with that - I often commute to work on my road bike as well.)

fiamme red
06-22-2011, 10:19 AM

I think the only "commuter" aspect is what the owner actually does with it, not what the frame is actually optimized for. (Not that there's anything wrong with that - I often commute to work on my road bike as well.)I've done quite a few brevets on a track bike (with a front brake), but I wouldn't call it a randonneur bike. It may do the job, and be fun to ride while doing it, but it's certainly not the ideal bike for the purpose. :)

"Stealth," as I understand it, means: a) the graphics are understated, so that a bike with no graphics at all would be even more "stealth"; and b) it's bare titanium, not painted. I assure you that this bike is not "stealth" enough to fly under any thief's radar.

Those aren't triple cranks, by the way. The caption says that they're compact cranks.

avalonracing
06-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Not so impressed by everything else yet but this might be the coolest logo treatment ever:

"For the graphics on the frame we went with a polished and anodized treatment in bronze."

gearguywb
06-22-2011, 10:40 AM
It is not about wether the bike is an ideal commuter, but rather, it is an example of workmanship. If Firefly can build something along these lines then they could certainly build something that fit your individualqualifications as an "ultimate" bike.

rugbysecondrow
06-22-2011, 10:49 AM
It is not about wether the bike is an ideal commuter, but rather, it is an example of workmanship. If Firefly can build something along these lines then they could certainly build something that fit your individualqualifications as an "ultimate" bike.

Agreed. I think what it articulates is that they can meet the needs of the customer in a variety of ways. They don't control the need of the customer, they just help achieve them.

Climb01742
06-22-2011, 11:17 AM

agree. the owner will decide how functional it is, but dang, there's some craft going on in that thing.

palincss
06-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Other than being first and its obvious shapliness, what is the significance of shaped XCR stainless tubing? Does it do anything better than any other stainless tubing, or is it just a cosmetic kind of thing?

cuda2k
06-22-2011, 10:01 PM
agree. the owner will decide how functional it is, but dang, there's some craft going on in that thing.

this.

Wow there are some though critics in the room. From what I've seen FireFly's MO is simple elegant design and near flawless execution with little to no paint work. While it's not everyone's cup of tea, I'm honestly surprised at some of the comments. I tend to lean towards lugs and traditional lines, but FireFly's recent work has perked my interest all the same. This new Stealth Commuter rig shows a lot of custom one-off work with the same attention to detail (both in the craftsmanship and to the customer's requirements). Again, just because it's not your idea of a commuter, doesn't mean its not the customer's idea of one. Sounds like the customer got exactly what he wanted, and FireFly was able to show off what they are capable of when it comes to not only designing clean looking frames but also integrating the latest shifting technology in a different and interesting way.

Peter B
06-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Gets it.

Jason E
06-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Nice bike, but "Bertone"? ... :rolleyes:

rcnute
06-22-2011, 10:39 PM
This is my favorite photo.

slowandsteady
06-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Look again.

Now THAT bike is some sexy SH*T!

soulspinner
06-23-2011, 08:59 AM
This is my favorite photo.

Sheesh those are consistant................ :beer:

Clydesdale
06-23-2011, 09:10 AM
That thing is awesome. Proprietary hardware, battery in the custom post, full on customer determined build and incredible craftsmanship. A very select few builders would/could put that thing together. It's a great showcase for FF. Bag on the decals, geometry, "stealth," functionality, or whatever you would do differently... but from a pure build perspective - Amazing imo.

oldguy00
06-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Shame they used the FSA crank rather than a far better Campagnolo crank and BB30/46 cups.

That's the one thing that caught my eye as well. For such a high end bike, high end wheels and components, and then you slap a POS FSA crank on there?!

Germany_chris
06-23-2011, 01:13 PM
That's the one thing that caught my eye as well. For such a high end bike, high end wheels and components, and then you slap a POS FSA crank on there?!

Did anyone read BSNYC's take on the ultimate commuter..It was GREAT!!

fiamme red
06-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Why would someone put aero carbon rims and flat handlebars on the same bike?

crownjewelwl
06-23-2011, 01:37 PM

cuz they look dope...don't overthink it

rugbysecondrow
06-23-2011, 01:41 PM
cuz they look dope...don't overthink it

Booya.

Peter B
06-23-2011, 10:11 PM

"The customer is always right."

bicycletricycle
03-17-2012, 10:35 AM
firefly has really come a long way since the original launch. The cool anodized graphics, stems, posts, ISPs, internal routing, polished head badges. Everything has sharpened up. I was one of the people who was unimpressed at the launch but that has changed.

thanks for the eye candy Firefly.