PDA

View Full Version : Blowouts

scrooge
05-26-2005, 10:46 AM
So I was clipping along with on the group ride last night (tends to be the highlight of my week in the cycling department) when I heard the old , "Bang" (there was not fsssss. . . it went out to fast). I'm suddenly riding on rim, on the shoulder, and the group is long gone.
I've ridden quite a few miles, but have never had a blow out (many flats, on the other hand). I was suprised to see that the rubber was gone on a bout a one inch patch on my tire and that there was a hole going right through it at one point. I've never had this before. Is this because a.) Our group did a wild skid two miles before trying to avoid an oncoming truck (oops!) b.) The tires (conti ultra 2000) have 2500-3000 miles on them (plus a number of hours on the trainer) c.) I used a patch and the patch blew off (I think the hole may have been near the patch on the tube d.) it just happens sometimes.

Incedently, I tried the old dollar bill in the tire trick and it got me about 2 miles further down the road before I flatted again (put several holes in my 10 dollar bill!). I did fix that one as quickly as possible, but apparently was too quick because I flatted again within a minute. At that point, I asked a nice man for a ride in his pick-up. He obliged. We talked about the deer population in West Michigan vs. Iowa, and he let me off at home. I tried not to be too crabby the rest of the night.

Oh, and while we're on the topic: Do all frame pumps/mini-pumps suck?

Ken Robb
05-26-2005, 11:57 AM
my Silca and HPX frame pumps do not suck--they blow, and quite well. I've never ridden a tire for more than 2000 miles--when they get squared off or funny-looking in any way I toss them. I sometimes ride / CO2 inflator which is very quick and easy but leaves you SOL for flat #2 if you're really unlucky.

I've had zero flats with Conti Ultra Gatorskins in 700x25 and 700x28. Flats were very common with Michelin Axial Pros, less common with Vitoria Open Corse clinchers. Same roads.

george
05-26-2005, 11:58 AM
If you can avoid it never, ever patch a tire. It worked when we were kids going around the block, but know with theese high pressure skinny tires "fugetaboutit" carry a spare and change the tube. As far of a mini pump I have the Crankbrothers mini pump it can service both prests and schrader up to 120 psi. It is small enough to fit in the back jersey pocket.

William
05-26-2005, 12:54 PM
If you can avoid it never, ever patch a tire. It worked when we were kids going around the block, but know with theese high pressure skinny tires "fugetaboutit" carry a spare and change the tube.

Couldn't agree more.

I've never ridden a tire for more than 2000 miles--when they get squared off or funny-looking in any way I toss them. I sometimes ride / CO2 inflator which is very quick and easy but leaves you SOL for flat #2 if you're really unlucky.

Again, I agree. And I always carry at least two CO2 cartriges.

William

dgauthier
05-26-2005, 03:07 PM
What a coincidence. Same thing happened to me on Saturday descending at about 40 mph (luckily it was the rear tire.) This had never happened before. An inch long cut in the tire went right through the tread and some of the casing.

This was a relatively fresh tire that had run about 1000-1500 miles on the front, that I had just rotated to the back two weeks ago (I always rotate tires front to back only). So to answer your question: d) it just happens. Yet another fun thing to think about besides traffic.

I too used the "dollar bill" boot trick, and it held just fine for the 5 miles left on the ride. The trick is to use a fresh bill, or several, and fold it/them over about 4 times.

Kevan
05-26-2005, 03:45 PM
you could have experienced one like that going on in the Serotta gallery section.

Blackburn frame pump. Ugly but dependable. I've gone over to the gas side, suits my diet.

Spinner
05-26-2005, 03:46 PM
a four inch section of tire with the bead removed is found in all of my fix kits. i have used one once an it easily withstood the 25 mile return to base ride.

Chief
05-26-2005, 05:05 PM
I once did a panic stop where I locked up the rear tire on a chip-sealed road and the surface roughness of the road tore the rubber off down to the casing. This may have happened in during your skid. Like Spinner I carry boots with me that I made from a worn out Vittoria tire. You can easily peal the rubber tread off the tire to where only the casing remains. The casing has a kevalar strip on it which provides puncture protection. I then cut the casing up into boots that I carry with me and give to my biking buddies.

scrooge
05-26-2005, 10:07 PM
you could have experienced one like that going on in the Serotta gallery section.

Blackburn frame pump. Ugly but dependable. I've gone over to the gas side, suits my diet.

Hey, I have a blackburn pump! Are you calling my pump ugly! How could you do that! That pump is near and dear to me! What am I supposed to do, return a $24 frame pump and get something that you think is better?! Oh, the nerve. Who appointed you the frame pump expert anyway? :argue:

Never mind. I can't go on like this any longer.

Actually, you're right. The Blackburn has been dependable. There are just those moments when I can't seem to get the air to go directly in and it's a bit frustrating. However, it gets me home and I don't have to live in fear of a flat (which happened on my ride tonight, AGAIN...probably the cheap tire I got.)

vaxn8r
05-26-2005, 11:11 PM
I've had good success on the road using a power bar wrapper. 2 cm gouge and it held about 20 miles until I got home. This was a new tire too.

I would not be riding tires with that many miles on them. Especially on the rear. You're asking for disaster. Save them for your trainer or throw them out.

William
05-27-2005, 03:18 AM
I've had good success on the road using a power bar wrapper.

Ditto.:banana:
Vanilla Crisp wrapper works best. :rolleyes:

William

Too Tall
05-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Fed Ex tyvex material. Couple wraps around the tube.

saab2000
05-27-2005, 07:16 AM
I have had some mini pumps that will get about 85 PSI. Barely adequate, but will get you home.

But if you really want a functional on-the-road pump there is only the Zefal HPX. This will give you as much pressure as you want and won't take 40,000 strokes to get to 110 PSI.

Get a flat and with this pump you will be back on the road for the rest of a normal ride in no time. With a mini pump the rest of the ride is compromised because you have reduced pressure. I am not a fan of CO2 cartridges for a couple reasons.

1. They produce trash.
2. Those who have them will, if on a group ride, say, "Hey, you have a pump! Can I use it so I can save my CO2 cartridges?"

Fixed
05-27-2005, 09:11 AM
I think saab knows more about tires than most of us, I like tubulars,and carry a cell.