PDA

View Full Version : Euro style workstands

Alan Dolid
03-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Looking to get either a Tacx Spider Team T3050 or a Park PRS20 Pro workstand. They are both Euro style stands. Anyone have any experience with either of these? Any preferences? Thoughts? Thanks!

torquer
03-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Team Radioshack mechanic seems to like the Traxc.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/03/bikes-and-tech/ask-nick-calling-car-1-come-in-car-1-and-more_162271
http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2011/03/cancellarastand-300x565.jpg
Maybe my monitor is not so great, but can someone tell me what's supporting the bottom bracket of this bike? It looks like it's levitating 3 or 4 inches above the stand. Is the bike being supported by the chainrings?

tele
03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
according to the article from VeloNews the bb is supported by 2 rubber pads that cradle the bb.

ultraman6970
03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Non experience in any of them but with some carbon frames u cant use the conventional, and in the cheappo ones like the spindoctor ones the problem is the BB area because the BB does not fit right.

What you can do if you like do things your self is to make something like this one using a spindoctor one.

I would love to have one like this tho...

CHeers :D

AngryScientist
03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
good topic. i've been meaning to make one of these myself for years. i figure i could start with a thule skewer mount and go from there, interested to hear peoples thoughts on what works and what doesnt.

cendres
03-03-2011, 02:31 PM
I bought the Park version about a year ago. It has all but replaced my older clamp-style stand, which I still need for my fendered bike. I'm pretty happy with the PRS. I wish it were a bit more stable and that the blue rubber coating on the BB support was more robust, but otherwise no complaints.

tv_vt
03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I've had the Park model for a couple of years. Really don't know how I lived without it. Like it a lot. You can adjust the 'front-center' on the stand so it will fit different size bikes easily. Has two rubber coated U shaped metal brackets that the bottom bracket sits in. Comes with a strap that can be placed over the downtube above the BB to cinch the frame down, but I never use it. Gravity keeps it in place just fine. Can also mount it backwards with rear wheel in mount, but I've rarely done that.

It can be tippy if the bike is pointed so that one of the tripod legs is not right under it. Hard to explain, but not a big issue. Tripod legs also fold up, so can be tucked in the foot wells of the back car seat.

Think it comes in lighter and heavier version. I got the heavy one. Not cheap, but something you will be using for a decade or more.

Thom

PS. Cendres mentions fenders. I have a bike with plastic fenders. Originally the fenders did extend too far down (front wheel) so that it hit the workstand horizontal bar. I have plastic fenders (old Esge silver ones) and just hacksawed the fender to just fit above the workstand bar. Wasn't a lot to cut off and now works fine on the stand, and fenders still work as intended.

miguel
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
i have an old cinelli workstand. it's good but it also can fumble the FD cable routing.

bicycletricycle
03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
i don't understand why anyone would want one of these stands. I have used the tacx one for a while at a shop that wanted to be extra "Euro". It was kinda useful, I only liked to use it when i was working on aero carbon integrated seat tube bikes that were otherwise unclampable. I guess there are going to be more and more of these bikes.

torquer
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
according to the article from VeloNews the bb is supported by 2 rubber pads that cradle the bb.
I read that too, but I don't see anything "cradling" the BB.
http://tacx2009.ilink2.nl/MEDIA-REPOSITORY/Afbeeldingen/producten/Fietsgereedschappen
This bike (from the Tracx web site) doesn't appear to be floating like the Radioshack Trek.

ultraman6970
03-03-2011, 03:45 PM
The stand is doped, that's why has special powers and the bikes float now :P

TimmyB
03-03-2011, 03:50 PM
if you look at the englarged image (http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/03/bikes-and-tech/ask-nick-calling-car-1-come-in-car-1-and-more_162271/attachment/cancellarastand) you can see that there's a gray box of some sort wedged between the bb and stand... DI2 battery pack?

giverdada
03-03-2011, 03:52 PM
so while everyone out there is getting fancy and having people who know what they're doing make fandangled bike repair stands that hold precious frames securely and make cleaning and all that possible, i'd just like to pass along an image of what a good circular saw and some ol' fashion hillbilly sensibility will get you with a couple 2x4's, a camera tripod for $10 off CL, some screws, and a couple L brackets plus a beat LX hub and skewer. give'r.

n.

picstloup
03-05-2011, 05:06 AM
DI2 battery pack?

yes,...looks like it's sitting on battery pack...one inconvenience of trek's new 6 frame using shimano's electric stuff...but only when using stands like this...