PDA

View Full Version : Best biking purchase in the last year?

akelman
03-02-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't know if this thread has been done recently, but if not, what's the best biking purchase you made in the last year? Actually, let's have two categories: purchases of greater than $200 and less than $200. For me, the smaller purchase would have to be one of these (http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar=pro___333222346505___478). I don't perspire, I don't glow, I sweat. A lot. And this thing keeps the sweat out of my eyes on long rides. It's really quite amazing. As for the big purchase, the used Ottrott I bought here a few months back probably takes the cake. I had completely forgotten how great they are. Anyway, what about you?

FlashUNC
03-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Best under $200 purchase:
Gloves (http://www.giro.com/us_en/lx-5493.html)

These Giro LX gloves are fantastic. They're pricey but worth every penny.

Above $200 has to be the lugged Serotta frame I bought from Liberace last year. Reynolds 753 frame and fork, James lugs. Rides like a dream.

Aaron O
03-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't know if this thread has been done recently, but if not, what's the best biking purchase you made in the last year? Actually, let's have two categories: purchases of greater than $200 and less than $200. For me, the smaller purchase would have to be one of these (http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar=pro___333222346505___478). I don't perspire, I don't glow, I sweat. A lot. And this thing keeps the sweat out of my eyes on long rides. It's really quite amazing. As for the big purchase, the used Ottrott I bought here a few months back probably takes the cake. I had completely forgotten how great they are. Anyway, what about you?

Under $200...it's a close one between this http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=487&product_id=1571847&outlet=, this http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid8000054?cid=SE%7CGoogle&campaign=gbaseMesh%20Skull%20Cap&CAWELAID=128374617 and this http://www.rei.com/product/765247

Overall, I'm going with the Keens. Absolutely LOVE cycling with sandals in the summer and they're great for walking around downtown. Also damned nice stiffness (considering) and ride quality.

Over $200?

This:

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Photo0473-1.jpg

akelman
03-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I actually need gloves, Flash. What makes those so great/worth the money?

akelman
03-02-2011, 08:53 PM
If I haven't said before, Aaron, that bike is beautiful.

BCS
03-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Over $200: Edge/Powertap Wheels.

Under $200: Oakley Photochromic lenses or Showers Pass Softshell Jacket.

AngryScientist
03-02-2011, 08:59 PM
in the last year?

<200:

rapha essentials case:
http://www.labicicletta.com/edatcat/uploads/rapha_essentialscase1.JPG

>200

(only slightly!) record/cxp-33 wheels

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/Picture004-1.jpg

akelman
03-02-2011, 09:01 PM
>200

(only slightly!) record/cxp-33 wheels

Only slightly more than $200?!!!? Nice!

Also, Showers Pass has to have some of the best word of mouth that I've ever heard. I mean, nobody doesn't LOVE their stuff.

Jeff N.
03-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Best under: FIZIK handlebar tape.
Best over: MAVIC Ksyrium Premium wheelset. Jeff N.

Aaron O
03-02-2011, 09:05 PM
If I haven't said before, Aaron, that bike is beautiful.

Thank you kind sir...I'm rather partial to it :D

BobbyJones
03-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Under 200: Bar Mitts

I can't believe I hemmed and hawed (sp?) for years before buying.

chuckroast
03-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Hmmmm....

Less than $200: About a month ago, I picked up a Dawes Galaxy at an estate sale for $12.50 (it was impaled in a snow bank). It has a 531 frame and I'm building it up as a tennis shoe cruiser/grocery getter bike.

More than $200: The CSI I bought last week off Craigslist.

FlashUNC
03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
I actually need gloves, Flash. What makes those so great/worth the money?

Pittard leather top that stretches and conforms to your hand over time. Easy to clean, pull tab makes 'em easy to get off after a long ride and they're not over-padded like so many gloves I've dealt with in the past. Just seems to have the right amount in the right places.

And they have a bit of that retro 1970's aesthetic, if you're as vain as I am.

I've beaten mine up over the last year, wash 'em once every month or so and they still look new.

drewski
03-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Pittard leather top that stretches and conforms to your hand over time. Easy to clean, pull tab makes 'em easy to get off after a long ride and they're not over-padded like so many gloves I've dealt with in the past. Just seems to have the right amount in the right places.

I've beaten mine up over the last year, wash 'em once every month or so and they still look new.

Less than $200.00. I bought these silk gloves from REI made by Gore.
They are light and windproof. I like that they keep me warm on 30-50 degree
days and they don't rob me of feel. Plus I never get that clammy feeling
from being too warm. Smartly designed insulating and windproofing gloves.

Over $200.00 Dinotte rear and headlight. They can be border line
obnoxious to other drivers but the world we live in has caused me to fight
fire with fire. As the poet William Stafford states, " The darkness around us is deep."

Dinotte lights make it easy for me to unambigoulsy request other folks on the road to proceed with caution. I look at this as almost an aid in negotiation.

In a fair and principled world we would have 10% of the USA
riding to work instead of .02% percent. I have a wife and 2 children
and if I am obnoxiously light up, raison d'tre is out of desire for risk mitigation and self-preservation.

drewski
03-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Thank you kind sir...I'm rather partial to it :D

Hey Aaron

What kind of brakes are on that bicycle? Nice looking bicycle.
Classic but without the need to use down tube shifties.

jtakeda
03-02-2011, 09:24 PM
<200: Davidson Road frame and fork.

>200. 10sp Centaur group (minus brakes) with open pros laced to record hubs. and thomson elite seatpost (460 total)
Don't know if its the best in terms of performance but these are the best bargains I got in the last year.

fiamme red
03-02-2011, 09:27 PM

I've beaten mine up over the last year, wash 'em once every month or so and they still look new.These look really nice. How does the sizing run compared to other gloves?

Aaron O
03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey Aaron

What kind of brakes are on that bicycle? Nice looking bicycle.
Classic but without the need to use down tube shifties.

Thanks Drew...that's what I was going for, modern mixed with classic.

It's a super record 11 gruppo with record hubs laced to OPs and a ti regal. OMAS headset. It has a Cinelli XA stem, Cinelli giro bars and a non-aero C-record seatpost.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Photo0478-1.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Photo0476-1.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Photo0484.jpg

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Photo0488.jpg

tuxbailey
03-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Best under $200:

Gore Bike Wear Phantom II jacket for $91 in HTO.

Best over $200:

A set of Ksyrium ES for $300.

jonnyBgood
03-02-2011, 09:40 PM
More than $200. would have to be the Garmin Edge 500. I use it EVERY TIME I ride and LOVE it.

Under $200. has to be the four Craft baselayers I replaced. The Cool, Zero Extreme, Zero Extreme with Windstopper front and Zero. I don't leave home without wearing a baselayer reguardless of the weather.

The baselayers add up to more than $200 but are less than $100 each. :D

Fixed
03-02-2011, 10:08 PM
jitensha bars for my fixed gear number one then
new helmet .
new sunglasses
new knickers
new jerseys
new tires
new peddles
new saddle
most from the classified section of the forum thank you i love riding again
cheers
soma rush as soon as get it in the mail 200<

texbike
03-02-2011, 10:26 PM
<$200 = Easton Circuit wheelset from bonktown
>$200 = Pegoretti Fina Estampa

I'm really enjoying both of them!

Texbike

tuscanyswe
03-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Best buy <200 was likely my moots post with fizik saddle from Eric of the forum.
Best buy >200 was without a doubt the moots compact :)

Worst buy last year had to have been the pasela 32 tgs. They roll like bricks! I got better rolling with my cx tires.

troymac
03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
<200 the campy record eleven shifters I picked up from cc
>200 the Csi I picked up last year of which the shifters get to be part of the Csi

Wilkinson4
03-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Used Serotta fit cycle for $60.00. Flipped it on ebay and used that profit to buy me some wheels for my Bilenky Rando!

mIKE

bicycole
03-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Probably building some new king hubs to DT rr465's. best wheelset evarrrrrr.

definitely gets the most use. on everything.

KevinPak
03-02-2011, 11:50 PM
tw-2 torque wrench !

false_Aest
03-03-2011, 12:19 AM
i bought my GF a Jamis Xenith frame.

for me:

CAAD9 frame

Dura Ace 7700 28h hubs for training wheels

Boyd Cycling 50mm tubulars.

Under $200:
Racing License renewal.

Also:
Toupe saddle
boydcycling.com 50mm tubulars
28h Dura Ace 7700 hubs for training wheels.

oliver1850
03-03-2011, 12:44 AM

fogrider
03-03-2011, 01:03 AM
first, I only ride tubulars. clearly over $200 and well worth it...super light carbon tubular wheels...I mean they weigh in at 1,150 grams! (without skewers) I was amazed after my first ride! I climb two gears lower and at anytime I can quickly accelerate 5 mph with ease. should have bought carbon tubulars sooner! these things make me faster...way faster. I would trade two bikes for these wheels.

srice
03-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Under $200 - the box of Stinger Waffles I picked up from my LBS. Finally, an easy to carry energy food that I actually enjoy!

Over $200 - a Surly Pugsley. This is the only complete bike I have purchased in the last 20 years (everything else is a project). The bike is slow, heavy, and has a few really cheap parts on it - but it is a blast to ride. I rode it exclusively from November through January.

bobswire
03-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Best purchase last year (or ever ), Seven Axiom I purchased from Thwart.

http://i51.tinypic.com/6f1i7q.jpg

Under $200 is a toss up between Specialized Taupe Saddle and 3T Ergosum (compact) Bars.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ikwn4o.jpg

rugbysecondrow
03-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Over 250, my bike fitting with Smiley. Enhanced my riding enjoyment and let to two new Bedfords...very fruitful.

Under 200, my Sidi Dominatora I bought on sale for 140...great shoes for a great price.

Cheers

LesMiner
03-03-2011, 07:45 AM
For me, the smaller purchase would have to be one of these (http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar=pro___333222346505___478). I don't perspire, I don't glow, I sweat. A lot. And this thing keeps the sweat out of my eyes on long rides. It's really quite amazing.

I use the same Halo sweat band indoors and it is really effective keeping sweat from running down into my eyes. Outdoors I do not need it so much because the wind evaporates the sweat enough to keep from running into my eyes.

My recent over $200 purchase was a used Garmin 705 for $250. Everything was included, handlebar mounts, cadence sensor, etc. I purchased it at a swap meet a few weeks ago. Now that the 800 is out I see new 705 bundles for under $500 so $250 used is a fair price. I was able to register it on the Garmin website. I uploaded and downloaded maps without any problem. Now my riding buddy is trying to talk me into buying a wireless Power Tap.

Aaron O
03-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Under $200 - the box of Stinger Waffles I picked up from my LBS. Finally, an easy to carry energy food that I actually enjoy!

Over $200 - a Surly Pugsley. This is the only complete bike I have purchased in the last 20 years (everything else is a project). The bike is slow, heavy, and has a few really cheap parts on it - but it is a blast to ride. I rode it exclusively from November through January.

I want a Pugsley so badly...I don't even like Surly, but winters the last two years in Philly have been BRUTAL...and a Pugsley would come in handy. Maybe next year.

FlashUNC
03-03-2011, 08:23 AM
These look really nice. How does the sizing run compared to other gloves?

They tend ot run a tad tight when new, but stretch out as the leather breaks in and conforms to your hand. So I ended up buying the Large (same size I wear in every other glove).

It was a snug fit the first ride our two, but they fit really nicely now. I got the all black pair, so can't speak to how they look after accumulating a bit of grit, though the tan pair does look pretty cool.

veloduffer
03-03-2011, 09:37 AM
This post made me think a bit and I've got more >$200 purchases than <$200. :o

<$200
Nokian studded tires for cross bike and mtb: considering the winter we had in NJ, these tires kept me riding outside and are a blast. Heavy but amazing grip.

>$200

Pearl Izumi 3x1 winter jacket: like three jackets in one. It has a Primaloft insulated liner that can be a light warm, quilted jacket unto itself; perfect for spring and fall riding. Outer shell is a softshell similar to the other softshell jackets; can wear this down to the high 30s. And put together, an excellent winter jacket you can wear into the teens & 20s with miminal layers. I rode in high 20s with just a Craft longsleeve base layer underneath and am plenty warm. It also comes with its own balacava!

Garmin Edge 800: I had the Garmin 605 but this unit is better. Starts and syncs faster, touch screen is better than buttons, excellent mapping. My cycle club now has TCX/GPX files for all their routes and I load them into the Garmin (drag and drop) before any club ride. It eliminates looking at cue sheets when I'm in areas that I am not familiar with. I also think the display screen is better and easier to read than the 605, which is a really good unit too.

2011 Trek Fuel EX 8: after not having an mtb for over 15 years and doing my off-road riding on a cross bike, I took one out and it just blew me away. What a blast to have full suspension, and it's great for my aging body on the rocky trails. I'm amazed at how advanced mtb technology is with dual chamber rear shocks, etc. It provides another riding venue for this usual roadie. I've used it this winter with studded tires and got some outdoor riding on some really windy, nasty days that would have been hell on the road.

WeakRider
03-03-2011, 09:37 AM

Those Stinger waffles are tasty, but the packages sure are difficult to open on the go!

My best purchase was Outlier pants:

http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/0/9/09jpcloselo.jpg

Not having to change clothes in the bathroom at work is amazing.

Aaron O
03-03-2011, 09:44 AM
This post made me think a bit and I've got more >$200 purchases than <$200. :o

<$200
Nokian studded tires for cross bike and mtb: considering the winter we had in NJ, these tires kept me riding outside and are a blast. Heavy but amazing grip.

>$200

Pearl Izumi 3x1 winter jacket: like three jackets in one. It has a Primaloft insulated liner that can be a light warm, quilted jacket unto itself; perfect for spring and fall riding. Outer shell is a softshell similar to the other softshell jackets; can wear this down to the high 30s. And put together, an excellent winter jacket you can wear into the teens & 20s with miminal layers. I rode in high 20s with just a Craft longsleeve base layer underneath and am plenty warm. It also comes with its own balacava!

Garmin Edge 800: I had the Garmin 605 but this unit is better. Starts and syncs faster, touch screen is better than buttons, excellent mapping. My cycle club now has TCX/GPX files for all their routes and I load them into the Garmin (drag and drop) before any club ride. It eliminates looking at cue sheets when I'm in areas that I am not familiar with. I also think the display screen is better and easier to read than the 605, which is a really good unit too.

2011 Trek Fuel EX 8: after not having an mtb for over 15 years and doing my off-road riding on a cross bike, I took one out and it just blew me away. What a blast to have full suspension, and it's great for my aging body on the rocky trails. I'm amazed at how advanced mtb technology is with dual chamber rear shocks, etc. It provides another riding venue for this usual roadie. I've used it this winter with studded tires and got some outdoor riding on some really windy, nasty days that would have been hell on the road.

Veloduffer...I was considering a pair of those but couldn't find many reviews. Glad you mentioned these! Do you think a 32c set on a cross bike would get me through packed snow and ice?

srice
03-03-2011, 10:00 AM
I want a Pugsley so badly...I don't even like Surly, but winters the last two years in Philly have been BRUTAL...and a Pugsley would come in handy. Maybe next year.

If you aren't a Surly fan - take a look at a Salsa Mukluk. Another QBP brand, but a little better bike than the Pug. My Pug was a spur of the moment purchase that I picked up for less than $1200. I haven't regretted the purchase for one second. Now that I understand the fatbike thing a little better, I will be modifying the bike this summer to get ready for the Arrowhead 135 next year.

akelman
03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
first, I only ride tubulars. clearly over $200 and well worth it...super light carbon tubular wheels...I mean they weigh in at 1,150 grams! (without skewers) I was amazed after my first ride! I climb two gears lower and at anytime I can quickly accelerate 5 mph with ease. should have bought carbon tubulars sooner! these things make me faster...way faster. I would trade two bikes for these wheels.

So what are these mysterious, rocket-powered wheels? "Super light carbon tubular" only takes me so far in my quest for the holy grail: a bike part that will supercharge my sputtering engine.

Aaron O
03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
If you aren't a Surly fan - take a look at a Salsa Mukluk. Another QBP brand, but a little better bike than the Pug. My Pug was a spur of the moment purchase that I picked up for less than $1200. I haven't regretted the purchase for one second. Now that I understand the fatbike thing a little better, I will be modifying the bike this summer to get ready for the Arrowhead 135 next year.

I think the Salsa is aluminum. With those tires it might not make a difference, but generally speaking...I HATE aluminum and would probably go with the Pugsley.

srice
03-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I think the Salsa is aluminum. With those tires it might not make a difference, but generally speaking...I HATE aluminum and would probably go with the Pugsley.

Well, if you hate aluminum and dislike Surly, then the answer for you is a Fatback. Little bit spendier, but their Ti frames and carbon forks are sweeeeet!

Keith A
03-03-2011, 10:32 AM
I think the Salsa is aluminum. With those tires it might not make a difference, but generally speaking...I HATE aluminum and would probably go with the Pugsley.Yes indeed, this is from their website "6061-T6 Aluminum heat-treated, double-butted frame tubing"

Chuckjg112
03-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Under 200.

Ism podium saddle

Over 200

Quarq

Ray
03-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't think I bought anything more than tires and chains last year - bad bike consumer, BAD BAD BAD bike consumer!

On the other hand, I spent a load of money on a vacation of a lifetime that included, among other wonderfulness, a week of riding in the Italian hills. That, without a doubt, is my best biking purchase of 2010!

-Ray

barker
03-03-2011, 10:50 AM
<200 Seirus glove liners. Made winter riding bearable.
>200 Record 10 group.

weiwentg
03-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Less than $200.00. I bought these silk gloves from REI made by Gore.
They are light and windproof. I like that they keep me warm on 30-50 degree
days and they don't rob me of feel. Plus I never get that clammy feeling
from being too warm. Smartly designed insulating and windproofing gloves.

Over $200.00 Dinotte rear and headlight. They can be border line
obnoxious to other drivers but the world we live in has caused me to fight
fire with fire. As the poet William Stafford states, " The darkness around us is deep."

Dinotte lights make it easy for me to unambigoulsy request other folks on the road to proceed with caution. I look at this as almost an aid in negotiation.

In a fair and principled world we would have 10% of the USA
riding to work instead of .02% percent. I have a wife and 2 children
and if I am obnoxiously light up, raison d'tre is out of desire for risk mitigation and self-preservation.

Under $200, Lezyne floor pump.

Over $200 for me would also be the DiNottes.

veloduffer
03-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Veloduffer...I was considering a pair of those but couldn't find many reviews. Glad you mentioned these! Do you think a 32c set on a cross bike would get me through packed snow and ice?

Yes, they would. Any knobby will get you through packed and crunch snow. Deep snow would be a problem, as you would sink rather than float. The studs shine where there is ice. I used to worry about wiping out on black ice in a high traffic area, and this virtually eliminates the fear. It's not as good as a dry road but not as far as you think. You can slam on the brakes without worrying about sliding out and turning isn't an issue, but don't lean excessively (stay more upright like turning on wet or sandy roads).

I read reviews on other studded tires before purchasing and Nokian gets the nod (slightly) over Schwalbe's studded. Very few folks liked the Conti and Kenda versions.

regularguy412
03-03-2011, 01:16 PM

Same for me ^^

The carbon tubulars I got aren't quite 1,150 grams, but 1,250 ain't too shabby. I have a similar experience re: climbing and accelerating. I also find that I can corner much better on them. Definitely worth the money.

Mike in AR:beer:

akelman
03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Same for me ^^

The carbon tubulars I got aren't quite 1,150 grams, but 1,250 ain't too shabby. I have a similar experience re: climbing and accelerating. I also find that I can corner much better on them. Definitely worth the money.

So, what kind of wheels did you get?

torquer
03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
This may be pushing the envelope of this discussion a bit, but my best recent bike-related expenditure (if not "purchase" per se) was for a long weekend with the wife at the ProTour race in Montreal. Lovely city, great food, exciting racing (and the company wasn't bad). We got some miles in on the municipal rent-a-bikes, which was fun, too.

sjbraun
03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
>$200
Ligero Model 1 wheels. I know some folks have had trouble with Ligero, but my wheels have been great. I had a hub problem after the first ride, (the hub manufacturer tried a shortcut,) but the response was from Troy was fast and corrected the issue.

<$200
Cygolite Expillion 250- 250 lumens, internal (user replaceable) battery and lots of light for just over $100. It's been great for commuting and worked well as a headlight during 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo.

19wisconsin64
03-03-2011, 04:40 PM
under $200 ...either Gore Wear Helmet liner, or Gore shoe covers.

over $200 ..... a fine white Nagasawa track frame. (yeay)

sin911
03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
<$200 1993 Cannondale track frameset (cost me a six pack of beer) :beer:
>$200 Black SiSL Crankset

Clydesdale
03-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Nokians rock and would have been my last year's best purchase. Have ridden comfortably on smooth sheet ice without problems.
Pugsleys also rock and will get you out when nothing else can go - but I'm only borrowing one. I hope it will be my answer to this thread next year :)

Best <200 would be a giro fuse ski helmet. Way warmer than a balaclava around 0 degrees and work better with ski goggles.

Best>200 - Carl Strong Fixed frame. I can't get over how good that frame rides. Amazing.

rounder
03-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Over 200 - bike fit by Smiley / bike by Kelly. Both were well done.

bigman
03-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Under 200, Princeton Tec swerve rear light (15), Descente cold out gloves(16)
Over 200 Tesch S-22

Scott Shire
03-03-2011, 05:14 PM
<$200 1993 Cannondale track frameset (cost me a six pack of beer) :beer:
>$200 Black SiSL Crankset

That Cannondale track, unless very beat up, is worth a good chunk of money. A nice '93 just sold for 1200 on the bay.

As for me...
Under $200 - Labor for Joe Young handbuilt track wheels (36h DA high flange track to Velocity Aerohead)
Over $200 - Ishiwata-tubed Georama Track F/F

onsight512
03-03-2011, 05:17 PM
I bought a bianchi pista late last year to commute on. It was my first road bike (I'm 41) and although I had it less than two months (stolen), it got me absolutely hooked on riding. Best money I've spent on myself in a long, long time.

sin911
03-03-2011, 05:21 PM
That Cannondale track, unless very beat up, is worth a good chunk of money. A nice '93 just sold for 1200 on the bay.

a good amount of paint chips with a really small dent in the top tube..other than that it's pretty amazing!

Elefantino
03-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Over 200: Surgery.

All the nasty is gone. Should be back on the bike soon without complications.

Bliss.

PaulE
03-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Under $200 - a re-fitting with Rad Pedal cleat placement, Crud Catcher Road Racer Mk 2 fenders.

Exactly $200 - a like-new Cateye CS-1000 cyclosimulator trainer (that was actually in late 2009) found on craigslist. Cateye discontinued these a few years ago but many claim it was the best trainer ever made.

Over $200 - a nearly brand new 2009 HSG frame, S-3 fork and Chris King headset in my size. And a pair of Lightweight Standard model clincher carbon fiber wheelset.

regularguy412
03-03-2011, 07:07 PM
So, what kind of wheels did you get?

OH! I purchased Easton EC90SL 38mm carbon tubulars. I managed to get them on closeout for just over $1,000.

:)

Pete Serotta
03-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Yep....it is a wonderful ride.......... :D Pete

wc1934
03-03-2011, 07:42 PM
over 2 - wheels - fulcrum 5

under 2 - 3T compact bars, tifosi polarized sunglasses

anomaly
03-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Got a really good fit done. Best money I've ever spent on a bike.

salem
03-03-2011, 10:03 PM
>200 Nope
<200 No doubt, a old Sugoi thermal jacket. Back in the mid-90s, the team I raced for gave us these, and for me it was best top I ever had, but once I left the team, I sold the three I had rather than advertise for the old sponsor.

When riding, I need so much less on my back than front, but I've never found anything as polarized as this jacket: windblock and insulation on the front and shoulders, just thin spandex on the back. Even the arms are split like that. I finally went looking for a plain one on ebay, and found it in Poland.

It's like this one, but cost less than half as much (including shipping) and is less than half as hideous a pattern!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sugoi-Mens-sz-Med-Thermal-Cycling-Jacket-/360247628964?pt=US_Men_s_Athletic_Apparel&hash=item53e06e94a4#ht_499wt_1159

fogrider
03-03-2011, 11:48 PM
So what are these mysterious, rocket-powered wheels? "Super light carbon tubular" only takes me so far in my quest for the holy grail: a bike part that will supercharge my sputtering engine.
reyonlds 32T rims with velomax hubs...sim to these:
http://www.reynoldscycling.com/index.php?p_resource=items_wheels_item&p_itm_pk=594
during the week, I ride a steel bike with alum wheels...jump on a lightweight bike with these wheels and if feels like I just go at half speed with the group...and turn it on a the last 200 meters!

93legendti
03-04-2011, 05:26 AM
$44 Foxwear winter tights. 300 wt power stretch, no zippers, light weight, comfortable against the skin, wide temp range -they work as low as 20 degrees with 20mph winds. Simple to pull on and go.

oldguy00
03-04-2011, 06:40 AM
I think I paid just over 200 from Bonktown, I love them:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2qb95id.jpg

srice
03-04-2011, 07:17 AM
$44 Foxwear winter tights. 300 wt power stretch, no zippers, light weight, comfortable against the skin, wide temp range -they work as low as 20 degrees with 20mph winds. Simple to pull on and go.

Foxwear rocks! I picked up a pair of the PowerShield pants, a PowerDry base layer, a PowerStretch shirt and an eVap jacket. I have never been able to wear the eVap jacket. It hasn't gotten cold enough. The base layer and the PowerStretch shirt alone were good enough for single digit windchills.

TimD
03-04-2011, 07:36 AM

Lou Fox rocks!

TimD
03-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Under $200 - NiteRider MiNewt 350.

Over $200 - Salsa Vaya frameset, which I then built up, including the wheels (Velocity Dyads with M765 centerlock disk hubs).

Tim

93legendti
03-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Power Stretch is an awesome fabric. I'm working with Lou on a Power Dry/Wool hoodie.

bozman
03-04-2011, 02:43 PM
my new Strong which I should have in the next few weeks.

cnighbor1
03-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Best buy for me was a all Campagnolo super Record with Ti Burce Gordon nearly new $625. Ask for photos <cnighbor1@comcast.net>
Your allowed to cry at anytime
Charles

Bob Ross
03-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Under $200? Hmm... probably the complete overhaul/tuneup for my Cannondale done by the incomparable Mark Purdy http://ifixbyx.com/site/

Over $200? That's easy:
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu144/Dildo-Boy/BobR1.jpg

mjbrekke
03-04-2011, 10:30 PM
< $200: The Rudy Project Sterling helmet that arrived today (thanks for the tip, mcallen), great upgrade from my circa 1998 Giro.

> $200: Ottrott frameset last summer, perfect fit for my ultra-short torso: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78630. Maybe my best bicycling purchase ever.

rickbb
03-05-2011, 06:18 AM
> $200: The Serotta steel cross bike (from the Forum) and 1993/4 (Colorado?) Ti frame (eBay) that somewhat legitimized my participation here.
Neither has been ridden yet due to crash recovery and Maine winter, but I can't wait!

kramnnim
03-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Over $200- Look 585 frameset...maybe tied with LASIK, which is great all the time, just not when on the bike.

rdparadise
03-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Good thread if you ask me.

>200--tie with my Zanc road bike, steel fork and king H/S and a Campy Record group barely used.

<200--Assos Airjack 851. Very nice, bought from forumite new with tags still on. I got a nice Wabi Woolens jersey for Christmas too, so that was freebie! :banana:

That's it for me. You?

Bob