PDA

View Full Version : e bay shipping

Fixed
03-02-2011, 07:59 PM
i bought my bike last friday and the guy still has not sent it yet ..
if i sell something i send it the next day but that is me .
he has some line about the box being too small and has to go to the bike shop for another box .. ....
i got a bad feeling about this
cheers

bkboom123
03-02-2011, 08:06 PM
what was his feedback like?

Fixed
03-02-2011, 08:10 PM
90 something sells 100 % feedback .
i probably have nothing to worry about but i ship fast i know guys want they stuff after they pay for it .. that is how i have stayed at the law office for 20 years i don't put things off
cheers

bkboom123
03-02-2011, 08:16 PM
yeah i tend to be the same way when it comes to shipping...I doubt you have much to worry about here, maybe the guy just had a bad week...lets be optimistic. :banana:

biker72
03-02-2011, 09:25 PM
It took over a week before my last eBay bike shipped. They claimed they had taken it to their LBS to get it packed. It arrived with part of the front wheel protruding out of the box. Without a doubt, the worst bicycle packing job I had ever seen.

Thankfully there was very little damage. Very lucky.

Fixed
03-02-2011, 10:00 PM
i am getting it from usps .that is a first fedx ups yes but usps that is going to cost him a lot shipping was 50 dollars for me
have any of you had a bike shipped in the mail ?
cheers

i checked his history he is a buyer not a seller most of the time and small (cost ) stuff . that is why is rating is high

bkboom123
03-02-2011, 10:07 PM
yep...if you can cut the box down small enough to their specs its really cheap.

I sold a bike on ebay two days ago and was able to get the box small enough to ship usps. $200 insurance with delivery confirmation. from ny to texas was only $27.

Its hard though because sometimes i cant get the box small enough and get burned with $55 shipping via UPS.

Side note: I have a hatred for Fed Ex when it comes to bikes. I have received two bikes using them and both time the box has holes ripped in the side. One time the bike was scraped up from the holes (by holes it looked like a forklift ripped through the sides of it). I Will never use them :rolleyes:

Jeff N.
03-02-2011, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't panic just yet. Give it a week or so, then bug him for a tracking number and all that. Jeff N.

Fixed
03-03-2011, 05:16 AM
thanks guys
cheers

tuscanyswe
03-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Know exactly the feeling. Since im Sweden its not unusuall that shipping takes 2 weeks after item was actually shipped. Its hard to not send those emails requesting ease of mind that goods are actully on the way.

They always turn up in the end tho!

Im assuming this is the red soma? Hope you get it asap!

rugbysecondrow
03-03-2011, 07:06 AM
I bet all is good and the guy is on the up and up. Most folks don't ship and swap goods like many here so it is likely a legit issue for him. I wouldn't worry especially if he is communicating. If all was silent, then I would worry.

Cheers

Fixed
03-05-2011, 08:55 PM
my new bike is in the mail got an email from seller yesterday said he mailed it out thursday means i'll get it next week. i am excited first new ( to me ) bike in a few years .. then he says it cost more than he expected and could i send a 100 .00 extra to cover his cost he said it cost $150 to ship and he only listed shipping at $50 , the $ 50 dollar shipping was one of the factors in my bidding
budget $ 800 for this project ... so do i send him a extra 100 after get my bike?
cheers

Jeff N.
03-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Nope.

bobswire
03-05-2011, 09:03 PM
my new bike is in the mail got an email from seller yesterday said he mailed it out thursday means i'll get it next week. i am excited first new ( to me ) bike in a few years .. then he says it cost more than he expected and could i send a 100 .00 extra to cover his cost he said it cost $150 to ship and he only listed shipping at $50 , the $ 50 dollar shipping was one of the factors in my bidding
budget $ 800 for this project ... so do i send him a extra 100 after get my bike?
cheers

In that case I'd split it with him and tell him you budgeted your bid factoring in the original shipping quote.

bkboom123
03-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Was it a complete bike shipped? Or just the frame?

If anything I would split it....but if its just the frame then he is feeding you bullsh%t.

Either way it shouldnt cost $150

pbjbike
03-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Do not send extra for shipping after the fact. They could have contacted you before sending. Seller cannot leave neg. feedback for you. It's not karma, it's due diligence on their part.

tuscanyswe
03-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Even ebay users are human right?

Id split it with him if i was comfortable with paying the total ship+bike cost for what i actually got in my hands. If i were pleased with the bike after inspection id try an make us both happy if it was reasonable cash.

rounder
03-05-2011, 09:22 PM
First thing i ever bought on ebay was a CIII frame. I really did not know what to expect. Over a week went by and i got anxious. I figured out his email address and asked what was going on. Within rhe next week the frame came packed in a bike box. Every tube was wrapped in bubble. Hope your bike arrives likewise.

jtakeda
03-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I would split it only and i mean ONLY if he provides a receipt that proves he paid 150 for shipping.

Fixed
03-05-2011, 09:30 PM

If anything I would split it....but if its just the frame then he is feeding you bullsh%t.

complete soma rush + wheels the whole deal
cheers

ti_boi
03-05-2011, 09:38 PM
I did a ton of buying and selling on eBay over the past 10 years. But I gotta tell you, the last several transactions as a buyer and a seller have been really agonizing. I'm done. :) I figure I will be better off. At least those late night impulse buys will cease.

DRietz
03-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Shipping for a complete bike usually costs me $45.

$60 if it's in my bike box and I get a non-cardboard packaging surcharge.

If I were even nice enough to split the $100 with him, I'd need to see some receipt or other documentation first - sounds like a load of... well... you know.

rickbb
03-06-2011, 05:19 AM
yep...if you can cut the box down small enough to their specs its really cheap.

I sold a bike on ebay two days ago and was able to get the box small enough to ship usps. $200 insurance with delivery confirmation. from ny to texas was only $27.

Its hard though because sometimes i cant get the box small enough and get burned with $55 shipping via UPS.

Side note: I have a hatred for Fed Ex when it comes to bikes. I have received two bikes using them and both time the box has holes ripped in the side. One time the bike was scraped up from the holes (by holes it looked like a forklift ripped through the sides of it). I Will never use them :rolleyes:
+1 on all of this, consistent with my experiences with both carriers.

I would not pay him additional shipping unless you think you got a really good deal (steal). It was his responsibility to get a correct shipping quote before the auction.
If you are guilt-stricken with this and want to split, at least wait until the bike arrives to make sure it is as represented.

biker72
03-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Check the condition of the bike when you get it. If you feel you got a great deal then maybe give the seller half of the shipping cost he's wanting.

You are under NO obligation to give him anything. Shipping is his problem.

Fixed
03-06-2011, 06:43 AM
i not guilt stricken i view a bid as a contract and the seller should do his homework before he enters into it .. i have not received the bike yet , so i don't know what shape it will arrive in . yeah i think i got a deal but that is why i bid on it
i was the only bidder though so maybe not . will i send more money i will defiantly wait and see what i get.
thanks guys for the views
cheers

oldpotatoe
03-06-2011, 08:03 AM
cheers

I just sold a converted Athena lever set to a gent on this forum. I charged him $7.50 for shipping. It actually cost almost $20 with insurance..I ate the difference because I stuck to the quote-he should also.

Jeff N.
03-06-2011, 08:09 AM
I just sold a converted Athena lever set to a gent on this forum. I charged him $7.50 for shipping. It actually cost almost $20 with insurance..I ate the difference because I stuck to the quote-he should also.
Exactly. It's a lesson learned for the seller. You paid what he asked for shipping. That's the end of it. If it turned out to be more, that's his problem, not yours. He needs to do some research before he quotes a shipping cost. Live and learn. Jeff N.

Dan Le foot
03-06-2011, 09:48 AM

I wouldn't split it.
The shipping cost was part of the price and the contract he agreed to. If he had $150 on shipping instead of $50 I wouldn't have bid as high.
atmo
Dan

ultraman6970
03-06-2011, 10:11 AM
150 sounds like too much but it depends also of the currier, ups and fedex are charging a lot lately also, it depends also of how far the bike has to travel and how the seleer is sending the stuff, obviously if he is sending it 3 days instead or ground it will be a lot more.

I would split the cost also, well if you got a good deal obviously.

handsomerob
03-06-2011, 10:33 AM
as far as shipping goes... a lot of bike boxes are exactly at the tolerance to be shipped at an normal threshold. The people that measure them round up so if one side is 29 1/4 they round up to 30 and then bam it goes into a super oversized catagory that gets really damn expensive.

I literally had to borrow a box cutter at ups one time and trim an inch off the top of the box to save about $65.

for what it's worth, I just shipped a frame only in a box that was 36x29x7 and the shipping was $44 from TN to NY... I have no idea how anyone can ship a full bike that cheap (and pack it properly). I put pipe insulation on all tubes before shipping.

Fixed
03-06-2011, 10:48 AM
If he had $150 on shipping instead of $50 I wouldn't have bid as high.
atmo
Dan

+1
it would have been a deal breaker for me as well
cheers

zray67
03-06-2011, 07:35 PM
I try to stay with the adage; "You make your deal, you live your deal." And, over time I have felt the pain of my miscalculations and also benefited from someone else's miscalculations.
It breaks down for me; What can I live with?

oliver1850
03-06-2011, 08:19 PM

maximus
03-07-2011, 06:50 AM
He should have planned better as a seller. You had a budget, and I would stand by it.

It would be like eating a meal and the chef coming out of the kitchen to inform you that he slipped up when creating the menu and wanting more money.

I think you need to see the bike before you make any moves. Access the packing job and the item and see where you want to take it.

rugbysecondrow
03-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Fed Ex would have been oodles cheaper. It was likely more convenient for the seller to just go to USPS then Fed Ex, that comes at a price IMO.

Enjoy your new ride!

jr59
03-07-2011, 07:34 AM
I would wait until I got the bike. If it comes packed correctly and arrives safely, then I would think about splitting the over charge with him.

I could see someone saying, "ok I'll pay the difference" and getting a poorly packed bike.

Good luck, and tell us how this works out.