PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on removing road goo

steven.k.davis@
05-26-2005, 07:39 AM
This past week I discovered that the State of Virginia likes to use a brown road adhesive in their road repairs. Unfortunately, I have found some of this goo hardened on the underside of my down tube. I have a brand new Legend that is half-paint and half polished Ti. Before I have a heart attack, and try to do something stupid, I thought you all might have some advice for me. I have tried hot water, hot soapy water, both to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

weisan
05-26-2005, 07:50 AM
Try rubbin' some alcohol...I am serious!!! ;)

weisan

dave thompson
05-26-2005, 07:54 AM
I've used kerosene and mineral spirits in the past with good results. A good coating of your favorite wax, after your cleaning efforts. will help the goo come of more easily next time.

Hard Fit
05-26-2005, 07:57 AM
I guess I would be worried about the paint. Are some cleaners too strong? Are the products used for getting the tar off of automobile paint okay?

Blastinbob
05-26-2005, 08:03 AM
I use Goof-off ! This stuff works great. (http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp)

sspielman
05-26-2005, 08:27 AM
WD-40 usually does the trick.

TriJim
05-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Whether the brown adhesive is on the paint or Ti; WD-40 or Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover should be safe and effective. I'd apply with a soft cloth. The products should dissolve the "stuff" starting at the surface so it may take patience if you have a large contaminated area or a big chunk on the frame. Good luck. :)