PDA

View Full Version : I Tried SRAM!

Lovetoclimb
03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
In Austin for NAHBS, I rented a bike from Bicycle Sport Shop. Lovely shop with a great and helpful staff. Although it was an expensive 48 hours of cycling, I found it much more fulfilling to cycle Austin than drive it. The main topic for this post is . . . SRAM. I have bad-mouthed the gruppo for years now, never liking it for a multitude of reasons. Perhaps the most ironic part of this is, my teammate works for the company as a sales rep and could likely get our team some degree of bro deal were we not such Campagnolo enthusiasts. More so than anyone else, he was excited for my trial and subsequent feedback.

After two days of 60 and 35 mile road rides respectively, many more miles spent commuting and exploring the city and its treasures, I can say my opinion of SRAM is . . . . I hate it.

Could it be I went into the experience jaded, missing the smooth precise, and silent shifting of my Campagnolo groups? Could it be the intuitive hand positioning and impeccably engineered ergonomics of Campagnolo shifting is so ingrained in my bio-mechanics that nothing else will ever work? Yes, these among other reasons could be to fault, but a near new well adjusted SRAM Rival group rates the absolute lowest of anything I have ever ridden. I return to the ranking system my friend and teammate devised:

1) Campagnolo
2) Shimano (new models)
3) Suntour
4) Attempt to create my own gruppo, wood, metal, or other . . .
5) Switch to running

In a strange turn of events, one of my other teammates tried SRAM the same weekend. His report was favorable, despite being Italian, owning an Italian racing bike, and outfitting his bike exclusively with Campagnolo. I would be lying if I did not say my stomach felt uneasy that day.

So I hope through this PSA that any fellow Campy enthusiasts out there become a little more wary of rental bikes. Be sure to ask what you are getting, seek out the Campagnolo Pro Shops in the cities you are traveling to. Learn the secret handshake (okay this doesn't really exist, but it would be pretty rad), and enjoy waxing nostalgia with those aficionados who have come to love the true innovator in cycling, Campagnolo!

jr59
03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Good for you!

There is a place for Sram. It on someone else bike!

I'll take my Campy!

EDS
03-02-2011, 01:44 PM
In Austin for NAHBS, I rented a bike from Bicycle Sport Shop. Lovely shop with a great and helpful staff. Although it was an expensive 48 hours of cycling, I found it much more fulfilling to cycle Austin than drive it. The main topic for this post is . . . SRAM. I have bad-mouthed the gruppo for years now, never liking it for a multitude of reasons. Perhaps the most ironic part of this is, my teammate works for the company as a sales rep and could likely get our team some degree of bro deal were we not such Campagnolo enthusiasts. More so than anyone else, he was excited for my trial and subsequent feedback.

After two days of 60 and 35 mile road rides respectively, many more miles spent commuting and exploring the city and its treasures, I can say my opinion of SRAM is . . . . I hate it.

Could it be I went into the experience jaded, missing the smooth precise, and silent shifting of my Campagnolo groups? Could it be the intuitive hand positioning and impeccably engineered ergonomics of Campagnolo shifting is so ingrained in my bio-mechanics that nothing else will ever work? Yes, these among other reasons could be to fault, but a near new well adjusted SRAM Rival group rates the absolute lowest of anything I have ever ridden. I return to the ranking system my friend and teammate devised:

1) Campagnolo
2) Shimano (new models)
3) Suntour
4) Attempt to create my own gruppo, wood, metal, or other . . .
5) Switch to running

In a strange turn of events, one of my other teammates tried SRAM the same weekend. His report was favorable, despite being Italian, owning an Italian racing bike, and outfitting his bike exclusively with Campagnolo. I would be lying if I did not say my stomach felt uneasy that day.

So I hope through this PSA that any fellow Campy enthusiasts out there become a little more wary of rental bikes. Be sure to ask what you are getting, seek out the Campagnolo Pro Shops in the cities you are traveling to. Learn the secret handshake (okay this doesn't really exist, but it would be pretty rad), and enjoy waxing nostalgia with those aficionados who have come to love the true innovator in cycling, Campagnolo!

To summarize, you badmouthed SRAM for years without trying it and now, having finally used it, are badmouthing it again?

weiwentg
03-02-2011, 01:46 PM
To summarize, you badmouthed SRAM for years without trying it and now, having finally used it, are badmouthing it again?

+1. And I'm a Campyphile too.

old_fat_and_slow
03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Can you explain how this "double-tap" business works?

I have never tried SRAM at all. However, how does the dam derailleur know whether after 1 tap, whether it's supposed to downshift (or whatever it does after the first tap) or wait for the second tap? Can somebody splain please?

EDS
03-02-2011, 01:52 PM

I have never tried SRAM at all. However, how does the dam derailleur know whether after 1 tap, whether it's supposed to downshift (or whatever it does after the first tap) or wait for the second tap? Can somebody splain please?

It is not how many times you tap, but rather how far you push the lever that matters. Even the luddites figure it out after a while.

NRRider
03-02-2011, 01:53 PM

On the right shifter, you push the lever a little to the left until it clicks once and release to upshift. Push a little further without releasing and it'll click twice (or more, depending on how many gears you're downshifting) and it downshifts. Same basica approach for the left shifter.

Lundbeck
03-02-2011, 01:58 PM

The hardest part about figuring out the "double tap" is learning morse code. For exampleTap tap tap tap little tap fast tap tap = 13 cog. But after you get the signaling down its pretty easy.

sg8357
03-02-2011, 01:59 PM

Here you go, the interweb is your friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbg2s2bfjhw

I'm waiting for SRAM to intro their triple group,
which is shifted using the "Mozambique Drill"

Wilkinson4
03-02-2011, 01:59 PM
I always thought double-tap meant you had to shift twice to make sure it shifted once:) Like in Zombieland.

Rule 4: Doubletap: Carrying a gun is a great idea but it should never be your primary weapon. When you do end up using it for that last minute ‘oh ????’ moment remember to double tap. Its an emergency and thats why your using it and not your cricket bat so why skimp? One bullet more in the head will go a long way to ensuring your survival.

mIKE

false_Aest
03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm probably younger than most of you and even I'm tired of the "this sh1t is better than that sh1t" banter.

whatever it is one of us is gonna have a problem with it.

Don't delude yourself, this thread was only 2/3 of a PSA.

Please mail my 2 minutes of reading time back.

FlashUNC
03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
To each his own, but good to hear you've reconfirmed your own suspicions...I guess?

Personally, if I ever switched from Campy, it'd be to a SRAM setup. Love it on my cross bike.

Aaron O
03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
I admit that I didn't ride SRAM enough to get used to it, but I also don't see the point of having to get used to something when Campy Ergo works so perfectly, every time. I don't want a product I have to learn to tolerate, I want something that works PERFECTLY out of the gate.

Until Shimano or SRAM invent a lever that injects me with coffee while riding, or look attractive to super models and/or female comedians, I'll stick with Ergo.

ultraman6970
03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
The shifting has a delay then, doenst look like a bad system but looks like is not instantaneous to me. How red does it? the same and faster?

TMB
03-02-2011, 02:11 PM
I had SRAM on one of my bikes.

I rode it for quite a while and took it off over the Christmas Holiday. I put Campy back on it.

As I told my friend B21, I am so over SRAM.

He said I should get a bumper sticker made up that says that.

TMB
03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm probably younger than most of you and even I'm tired of the "this sh1t is better than that sh1t" banter.

whatever it is one of us is gonna have a problem with it.

Don't delude yourself, this thread was only 2/3 of a PSA.

Please mail my 2 minutes of reading time back.

Whipper snapper

old_fat_and_slow
03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
... Even the luddites figure it out after a while.

Ouch ! that stings damnnit.

Lovetoclimb
03-02-2011, 02:16 PM
My first 3 bikes had Shimano, Sora, Ultegra, and DA 7800 respectively. I put many thousands of miles of those with only minor wear and typical issues. Hence Shimano being a distant, but still acceptable 2nd to Campagnolo.

I find DI2 to be just stunning in its execution. However, given my experience with mechanical gruppos, I believe the Campagnolo electric will have both a sexy Italian name (fulmineo, spostarsi tempesta perhaps . . . ) and somehow prove better than DI2. At the very least it will have a Ferrari badge version and one off Colnago attached to it at a trade show.

WeakRider
03-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Hmm...Japanese electronics vs. Italian electronics...

Hmm...

;)

d_douglas
03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
I am a Campy user and I tried SRAM last year and never liked it, but I attribute that to bad setup because I am a crap mechanic.

Once I got used to DoubleTap, I could see the value in it, but I think my brain is wired to Campy - ie., lazy.

As someone else said, there is a place for SRAM - on someone else's bike. HA HA!

Nil Else
03-02-2011, 02:36 PM
The hardest part about figuring out the "double tap" is learning morse code. For exampleTap tap tap tap little tap fast tap tap = 13 cog. But after you get the signaling down its pretty easy.

Whodathunk dime a dozen 'Sram vs' thread would be this fun? Good thing I clicked on it.

crownjewelwl
03-02-2011, 02:44 PM

the problem is climbing...when you're desperately going up a hill and you forget you're in your biggest cog already, you sweep the lever and you will actually shift into a smaller cog...it is devastating and infuriating.

Ralph
03-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I have Campagnolo on the bikes I ride every day...and have for about 35 years....but I notice SRAM doesn't seem to hold back the guys that get paid to ride it. And the chain drop don't count.

Lovetoclimb
03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
I have Campagnolo on the bikes I ride every day...and have for about 35 years....but I notice SRAM doesn't seem to hold back the guys that get paid to ride it. And the chain drop don't count.

I have been shocked by the infusion of SRAM into the OEM and professional markets. Campagnolo seems to be reserved for specific European teams, or discerning enthusiasts shopping at their LBS of choice.

fourflys
03-02-2011, 03:06 PM
I've test-ridden SRAM and I have to say I personally didn't care for double-tap... I currently have Campy on my bikes (10 and 11sp), but would go back to Shimano without even thinking about it...

fourflys
03-02-2011, 03:10 PM
I have been shocked by the infusion of SRAM into the OEM and professional markets. Campagnolo seems to be reserved for specific European teams, or discerning enthusiasts shopping at their LBS of choice.

it's all about the $$$... SRAM owns so many divisions (Avid,Rock Shox, etc) that they have the ability and $$$ to get their product out there... plus, I'm guessing they have the best deal for manufacturers, thus making it harder to resist... kind like when you look at government vehicles, you usually see fords, chevys, or chryslers... it's not just because they are American...

znfdl
03-02-2011, 03:11 PM
I have switched all of my bikes from Campy 10 speed to SRAM and have never looked back.

I have tremedously enjoyed the SRAM shifting. I do not understand when people say they do not get it. It has a different feel and takes a while getting used to it. It took me all of one ride to get used to SRAM.

When I have recently ridden a campy equiped bike, the shifting was different. Not better or worse, but different.

I also am enjoying not spending a tremedous amount of money on campy specific tools and cassettes.

Chorus cassette 250 frn
Ultegra cassette 99 frn

A big difference in coin if you have mutiple set of wheels and ride a lot of miles....

fourflys
03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
I also am enjoying not spending a tremedous amount of money on campy specific tools and cassettes.

Chorus cassette 250 frn
Ultegra cassette 99 frn

A big difference in coin if you have mutiple set of wheels and ride a lot of miles....

that's one reason I may switch in the future...

Charles M
03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
I had Campy on everything for a long time... Now I have SRAM on everything.

The learning curve was less than 2 minutes and I've had no issues.

Dont like it so much that I've lost the ability to appreciate other things, or go one step further and feel the need to trash em...

cp43
03-02-2011, 03:22 PM
the problem is climbing...when you're desperately going up a hill and you forget you're in your biggest cog already, you sweep the lever and you will actually shift into a smaller cog...it is devastating and infuriating.

They fixed this. I had read about this, and bought a 2011 SRAM Rival group anyway. First ride on it I tried to reproduce this issue. There is now a "dead" click where the shift to the non existent next bigger cog would be. So, if you're in the biggest cog, and try to shift, you'll get the normal "shift to a smaller cog" click, then, if you keep pushing the lever, you get a different sounding click from the "shift to a bigger cog" click, but no shift back down.

I like my Rival group, but I've never used Campy, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

Chris

Nooch
03-02-2011, 03:26 PM
I'll admit that my experience with other groups is limited (first bike had Sora, so no real benchmark, although the fiance's bike has 105 and it seems to work well), but my Rival equipped Caad9-5 and my Red equipped Caad9-4 both work well above and beyond my expectations.

I will say, Red is a lot more precise than Rival, never a question that you're only going up one gear when you want to, always engaging right past the downshift throw for the upshift... Rival, admittedly, is a little sloppier, sometimes taking two gears unintentionally, and Rival set up poorly is even worse.

Before swearing off SRAM, try Red. Really -- you might like it.

92degrees
03-02-2011, 03:33 PM
I've been thinking about this a bit lately -- prolly because it appeared to me that there was a huge outpouring of support for SRAM at one point (and everyone was Making The Leap) but lately everyone spends a lot of energy badmouthing SRAM.

The shop I ride for is a SRAM shop and they push it heavily (disclaimer).

Until fairly recently I had Record, DA, and Red on various bikes. It's taken a while for me to switch bikes over to one group. I wouldn't have bothered but having wheel and parts compatibility between bikes became overwhelmingly desirable.

I must not be a very discerning cyclist, because they all seem pretty fab to me. You move the lever and the chain moves. Every time. Every group.

My LBS has a very good wrench (disclaimer).

mgd
03-02-2011, 03:39 PM
to me. and i'm talking red stuff, which is not at all cheap.

to my eye, it looks crappy and cheap in pictures and a zillion times worse in person. it feels _okay_ to ride, but jeebus it feels like cheap too when you're fondling it before assembling the bike.

and yes, i get that campy is not 1985 super record polished and solid and nice any more, but sram took the unrefined mountain bike level of finish to high-end road components that don't spend their time covered in mud or worse (or snapped into a couple of pieces and replaced instead of worn out)'.

and yes i get that it's about the $$$ in the marketplace, but a richard sachs with red looks awful, atmo.

Aaron O
03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
to me. and i'm talking red stuff, which is not at all cheap.

to my eye, it looks crappy and cheap in pictures and a zillion times worse in person. it feels _okay_ to ride, but jeebus it feels like cheap too when you're fondling it before assembling the bike.

and yes, i get that campy is not 1985 super record polished and solid and nice any more, but sram took the unrefined mountain bike level of finish to high-end road components that don't spend their time covered in mud or worse (or snapped into a couple of pieces and replaced instead of worn out)'.

and yes i get that it's about the $$$ in the marketplace, but a richard sachs with red looks awful, atmo.

That's interesting, the only thing I do like about Red is that I think it's extremely attractive...more so than Campy SR actually. I just don't like how it rides nearly as much as Campy.

I also disagree about your last comment...a Richard Sachs looks great with ANYTHING ATMO. For those with ugly Richard Sachs Red covered bikes...I will take the burden of storing them for you :)

Lundbeck
03-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Since people are talking about the things they like about SRAM....1 thing that I love is the shifting is nice and loud. When I am racing its easy for me to know when my competition is making a move. Sometimes I would get tricked and think that a lumberjack was taking out a tree, but I know better now.

CHF
03-02-2011, 04:02 PM
But you don't know which way he's shifting. I can tell which way the Campy guy shifts based on the swoosh from the lever or clunk of the thumb lever. :rolleyes:

I started with Shimano and moved over to SRAM. I run red with Yokozuna cables and it shifts crisply every time. I like the ergonomics better and I think it looks like a modern group. I've never ridden Campy. Got turned off really quickly once I found out I would have to pay more for a top end cassette that would wear out faster than a Shimano 105...

I think all the groups are good, it just depends on what you want.

benb
03-02-2011, 04:04 PM
This is a funny thread.. when I bought my Serotta I bought the "SRAM is rebuildable" hype and promptly destroyed the brifters in less then 2 seasons.. when I took the shifters into the dealer they contacted SRAM, and found out that SRAM actually wasn't shipping parts to rebuild.

I'm actually taking those shifters back to the dealer again tonight as supposedly SRAM is actually doing stuff about broken/worn out shifters these days. Since the warranty was only a year and forbade racing, even the last time I took them in I knew I was going to be paying.. so if they can actually fix them at the factory (they gave up on teaching shops to fix them) and charge say 50% of new shifters I might pick up a new frame (CX maybe) and be riding some SRAM again.

I think the thing that makes it feel "cheap" is SRAM made a bunch of tradeoffs in durability to bring the weight in lower then Shimano. Stuff like threading into aluminum rather then putting a replaceable insert into the parts, aluminum fasteners, and other nonsense. One of my other "todo" tasks is to get the trashed aluminum pulley bolt out of my X.0 rear deraiuller on my mountain bike and replace it with a steel or Ti bolt. For the outrageous price of that rear deraiuller SRAM should have shipped it out with a Ti bolt. I mean geez a CF cage wasn't too expensive...

I don't like SRAM's shift quality one bit.. but I have large hands and SRAMs hoods are *way* more comfortable then the Shimano hoods I have on my bike now.

Oh and IMO SRAM makes a killer bottom bracket.. I'm starting my 5th season with mine.. best life I've gotten out of a road BB.

fourflys
03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
the only other thing I'll say is that SRAM is the "go to" group for cx racing it seems... well, Shimano just announced some cross specific parts (crankset,FD, redesigned shifters) in the 105 and Tiagra line... also they announced the 105 and Tiagra (10sp now) will accept a 30t cassette ala Apex...

there may be a shift on the horizon next cross season...

Shimano Cross (http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-releases-new-cyclocross-components-refines-105-and-tiagra-component-groups)

godfrey1112000
03-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Hmm...Japanese electronics vs. Italian electronics...

Hmm...

;)

got to be better than Italian Mail
When they get behind they throw it away

Just got Sram Red on my new frame, very nice so far :beer:

AngryScientist
03-02-2011, 04:29 PM
i'm with the OP - campy rules.

nahtnoj
03-02-2011, 04:30 PM
To the OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9jhGiIAFM

And (in a 5 year olds voice) if you love Campy so much, why don't you marry it?

fiamme red
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
As I told my friend B21, I am so over SRAM.

He said I should get a bumper sticker made up that says that."Made the leapmo, made the leap backmo." :)

johnnymossville
03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Made the leap and am still leaping. If any of you wanna have a pity party for me you can send all your old SRAM stuff for me to dispose of properly.

bkboom123
03-02-2011, 05:28 PM
I am younger then a lot of people on here, therefore am not so stuck in my ways. I started on shimano tora, then ultegra, then 7800.....After a season and a half of riding all those I decided to try something new, Sram RED.

I could not be happier with the move. I found setup to be completely dummy proof. That 1:1 pull ratio is a no brainer, and stays in "tune" longer over the course of the cables life. Just a twist of the barrel adjuster and you are good to go. Everyone always raves about shimanos front shifting being the best, and it is, but SRAM's is by no means a slouch if setup properly (I use a force FD because its stiffer then Red's). Personally I dont shift in the front that often....
Sram is FAR superior in regards to rear shifting; super fast, and precise. I would take that any day over the "best front shifting group"
As far as campy is concerned, I have been on it once. It was super smooth and buttery, but i really HATED the thumb shifters. I ride in the drops mostly, unless doing big climbs, and it is so damb awkward reaching for the thumb nub things. Personally, I prefer the positive sound of sram because I know 100% that i shifted "X" amount of gears....where shimano and campy its sometimes hard to tell if it shifter depending on the cassette an where you are on it...

Thats just my 2 cents with the groups.....Havent had a technical issue with Sram yet and love how it looks and how littel it weighs.

TMB
03-02-2011, 05:43 PM
I have switched all of my bikes from Campy 10 speed to SRAM and have never looked back.

I have tremedously enjoyed the SRAM shifting. I do not understand when people say they do not get it. It has a different feel and takes a while getting used to it. It took me all of one ride to get used to SRAM.

When I have recently ridden a campy equiped bike, the shifting was different. Not better or worse, but different.

Chorus cassette 250 frn
Ultegra cassette 99 frn

I should explain my earlier comment.

I had some Rival ( first gen I believe) that I put on a bike. I actually didn't mind it. The hoods felt good in the hands, it was a good second to Campy.

However, it was early Rival. The FD was NOT trimmable and the sound of my chain rubbing on the FD cage was getting to be like a dentist's drill.

The cost of upgrading the shifters to Force or Red was simply out of this world.

I have lots of Campy 10 speed kicking around so I was able to change the bike over completely for the cost of new bar tape.

I tried SRAM, it was OK, but it's done for me. I'm over it. I have Campy 10 speed on all my bikes and I like it, I see no reason to ever change it.

soulspinner
03-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Worked in a shop the last few years and had the chance to ride everything. Maybe the best bargain is new Force. Properly set up it seems as good as Red and with the bb30 option is almost the same weight. You can race with Shimano wheels, cassettes and chains are not too much $$, and the durability has improved since first out, especially chainrings. Full disclosure, Ive ridden Campy for 15 years and Suntour Superbe before that.

Aaron O
03-02-2011, 05:49 PM
I am younger then a lot of people on here, therefore am not so stuck in my ways. I started on shimano tora, then ultegra, then 7800.....After a season and a half of riding all those I decided to try something new, Sram RED.

I could not be happier with the move. I found setup to be completely dummy proof. That 1:1 pull ratio is a no brainer, and stays in "tune" longer over the course of the cables life. Just a twist of the barrel adjuster and you are good to go. Everyone always raves about shimanos front shifting being the best, and it is, but SRAM's is by no means a slouch if setup properly (I use a force FD because its stiffer then Red's). Personally I dont shift in the front that often....
Sram is FAR superior in regards to rear shifting; super fast, and precise. I would take that any day over the "best front shifting group"
As far as campy is concerned, I have been on it once. It was super smooth and buttery, but i really HATED the thumb shifters. I ride in the drops mostly, unless doing big climbs, and it is so damb awkward reaching for the thumb nub things. Personally, I prefer the positive sound of sram because I know 100% that i shifted "X" amount of gears....where shimano and campy its sometimes hard to tell if it shifter depending on the cassette an where you are on it...

Thats just my 2 cents with the groups.....Havent had a technical issue with Sram yet and love how it looks and how littel it weighs.

Sounds to me like you're awfully set in your ways :)

PS...no one I know that has ever ridden ergo can tolerate DA's front trim. That might not be true for the DI2...but 7700 and 7400, the last I rode, were amateur hour compared to Campy.

FixedNotBroken
03-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I bought a Red group thinking it was going to be sweet, light, and smooth..within a month I sold everything and went to a Campy Record 11 group. Enough said and there will be no changes from here on out.

dogdriver
03-02-2011, 05:55 PM

I view this (now outdated) feature as my bike's way of telling me I'm a pussy.

I have RED on a road bike because a rep basically gave me a gruppo when it was first released. Works fine (except the ceramic BB which added gray hairs and was replaced and a RED cassette which exploded and was replaced with Force-- SRAM sent me a replacement cassette which I sold on this forum), no plans to replace it, but all in all I prefer Shimano. That said, I do prefer SRAM's mtb stuff to Shimano-- I like the shifters better and it seems to be more durable.

Have never owned Campy, but rode a Campy bike on a century a couple years ago and can see what the rabid allegiance is all about.

Bottom line-- If the gears shift when I push the lever, the brakes slow the bike down when I need it to, and nothing breaks, I'm a pretty happy guy. I'm not a strong enough rider to realize a gain from any of these three groups.

FWIW, Chris

crownjewelwl
03-02-2011, 06:17 PM
I view this (now outdated) feature as my bike's way of telling me I'm a pussy.

i am a pu$$y on the hills...admitting it is the first step

TMB
03-02-2011, 06:18 PM
"Made the leapmo, made the leap backmo." :)

That's not bad.

Tim
03-02-2011, 06:59 PM
After riding Campy for maybe 20 years, and then Shimano Dura Ace for about 10, I switched over two years ago to SRAM Red on the road and Rival on the cross bike. This stuff works! Way less sensitive than Shimano for slightly out of adjustment rear deraillers- and the brake lever hoods are super comfortable too. And, the price is right. It takes about 1 ride to get used to the double tap system and then you don't think about it. I'll admit that Campy may be beautiful but (in Canada anyway) it's way too expensive to be worth the money.

jasond
03-02-2011, 07:03 PM

+1...I have DA on one bike and Force on another. I often switch from riding one to the other and never have an issue.

Peter P.
03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
If nothing else, Lovetoclimb's post was well written, and enough so-look at the response it prompted!

I'd love to at least TRY SRAM. I'm concerned with what I've read about durability and aluminum threadings/parts to shave weight, and the non-trim-ability of Rival. Has that been fixed?

Elefantino
03-02-2011, 07:55 PM
If it shifts ...

If it's paid for ...

It gets ridden.

Top pros are probably more in need of precise shifting than the rest of us combined, and they ride whatever is put in front of them. They don't seem to have any problems (except if they try to do something stupid, like A. Schleck). They ride Campy one year, Shimano the next, SRAM the next, no biggie. They'd ride Microshift if the Chinese paid them to.

That said, chicks dig only Campy. But don't just take my word for it. ;)

Cinci Jim
03-02-2011, 08:37 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86343

Seems like a lot of trouble. I think Campy is like Italian women - when everything is well lubed and the backfield is in motion, you are going to have a good time. But when things go a little wrong - it's back to the barn, hang it up and oh my it is going to cost you!

Just sayin'

firerescuefin
03-02-2011, 08:58 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=86343

Seems like a lot of trouble. I think Campy is like Italian women - when everything is well lubed and the backfield is in motion, you are going to have a good time. But when things go a little wrong - it's back to the barn, hang it up and oh my it is going to cost you!

Just sayin'

Either you don't how to treat your women, or you haven't used Campy....or both. ;) :fight:

rustychisel
03-02-2011, 09:26 PM
oooooh, slap. Good thing you guys are friends. :beer:

Actually, thinking about it, the best thing about SRAM is that it gives many people a new dog to kick. It used to be that Shimano got people irate in the great ongoing debate but with 3 to choose from that is now SRAM. It's appreciated the Shimano just works, and works, and works...

sez me who ran 9 speed Ultegra for 7 flawless years and now 10 speed Chorus

Aaron O
03-02-2011, 09:37 PM
If it shifts ...

If it's paid for ...

It gets ridden.

Top pros are probably more in need of precise shifting than the rest of us combined, and they ride whatever is put in front of them. They don't seem to have any problems (except if they try to do something stupid, like A. Schleck). They ride Campy one year, Shimano the next, SRAM the next, no biggie. They'd ride Microshift if the Chinese paid them to.

That said, chicks dig only Campy. But don't just take my word for it. ;)

Do you really think they don't have preferences? Because they have to ride it doesn't mean they consider it all the same.

allenwhy
03-02-2011, 10:01 PM
i'll just add my two cents: i don't ride nearly as regular as i'd like and my knowledge of the best way to utilize gears in certain riding conditions is pretty weak, but i know what's intuitive for me and what's not. the thumb shifter on ergo is what sells me and why i have it on both my 10 speed bikes. i had force on my gazelle cross bike for about a week but i felt every time i tried to "doubletap" i would feel the chain going the wrong way a bit before hopping to the cog i wanted it to. felt clunky. also the levers are kinda bulbous for my small hands.

PaMtbRider
03-03-2011, 07:03 AM
I bought a cross bike last year and had my first experience with SRAM. At first it was pretty cool, and something new to try. Every time I would get back on my campy equipped bikes though, things just felt right. So yea, SRAM works and I can see how some people would prefer it. For myself, after tens of thousands of miles on Campy, that is where I am comfortable and want to ride. It is sort of like the way I tried road shoes and new pedals last year. The different pedals I tried all worked, but nothing was as comfortable as going back to my well worn SIDI Dominators and Shimano spd pedals.

oldpotatoe
03-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Worked in a shop the last few years and had the chance to ride everything. Maybe the best bargain is new Force. Properly set up it seems as good as Red and with the bb30 option is almost the same weight. You can race with Shimano wheels, cassettes and chains are not too much $$, and the durability has improved since first out, especially chainrings. Full disclosure, Ive ridden Campy for 15 years and Suntour Superbe before that.

Besides the function of it, particularly the FD, the thing I don't like is the reliability. I have warrantied about a dozen levers, 2 cranks and a few RDers. Some MTB/Avid disc calipers, a MTB shifter. Altho their warranty is spectaculor, it is the best and worse about sram.

It's cheap, light and lots of sponsorship $ thrown around but I think they have a way to go before they match the fit/function of Campagnolo and shimano. I rate them at about Sampson/Microshift stuff.

soulspinner
03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Besides the function of it, particularly the FD, the thing I don't like is the reliability. I have warrantied about a dozen levers, 2 cranks and a few RDers. Some MTB/Avid disc calipers, a MTB shifter. Altho their warranty is spectaculor, it is the best and worse about sram.

It's cheap, light and lots of sponsorship $ thrown around but I think they have a way to go before they match the fit/function of Campagnolo and shimano. I rate them at about Sampson/Microshift stuff.

Ya,seen a lot of shifters and rear der failures early. Their chainrings wore quickly, too. Guess Im spoiled. My 27000 mile Chorus BB is still smoother than a new Force BB............... :rolleyes:

Z3c
03-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Better dead than Red has been my motto since trying it a few years ago..

Lovetoclimb
03-03-2011, 09:50 AM
During my commute this morning the flawless efficiency of my Campy Athena gruppo working well into it's 7000th mile was simply a joy. As spring beckons with earlier sunrises and the shedding of 3rd and 4th layers, my Record 11 racing rig is growing restless. I am very excited to drop the block on some people as I crest the hills and zoom into an aggressive descent.