PDA

View Full Version : how difficult would you rate this century route?

///Mik3
03-02-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm currently training for my first century ride ever in May. I've been training for the past couple months so far, and i'm still kind of nervous how well i'm going to do when the time comes. I'm still relatively new to cycling (basically doing the "weekend warrior" thing for about 8mos so far), so i don't really know comparatively if this would generally be considered an easy, average, or difficult route. So what would you consider it? Right now it seems a little scary to me, because that's a lot more climbing than i've ever done on a ride.

century route
http://www.charlesmichaelphotography.com/temp/tdc_route.jpg

On another note, this is the ride i've been doing recently each weekend for my training. Would you say this is a decent training ride for the route i'll be facing on the century? note, it's actually closer to 77miles cause there are a couple bits missing in the tracking:

recent training route
http://www.charlesmichaelphotography.com/temp/tdc_train.jpg

Louis
03-02-2011, 02:09 AM
I'm hardly an expert at climbing, but I'd say that the century route has a moderate amount of climbing. Not too much, none at the end, but enough to make it interesting.

More importantly, it does have a lot more than your route. If I were you I'd look for training rides with bigger climbs, especially at the 40-60 mark in the ride, so you can better simulate the century profile.

It's tough to tell exactly what the grade is from this sort of profile, but if they are going to have some pretty steep grades be sure that you are prepared for them, both by having the right gears and by knowing what you have in your legs as you approach.

Good luck - centuries give a great feeling of accomplishment, no matter how beat you are at the end.

Fixed
03-02-2011, 02:28 AM
I'm hardly an expert at climbing, but I'd say that the century route has a moderate amount of climbing. Not too much, none at the end, but enough to make it interesting.

More importantly, it does have a lot more than your route. If I were you I'd look for training rides with bigger climbs, especially at the 40-60 mark in the ride, so you can better simulate the century profile.

It's tough to tell exactly what the grade is from this sort of profile, but if they are going to have some pretty steep grades be sure that you are prepared for them, both by having the right gears and by knowing what you have in your legs as you approach.

Good luck - centuries give a great feeling of accomplishment, no matter how beat you are at the end.

+1
take your time stop often drink talk to your new friends laugh some and smile .you will have done something few people can do
cheers

troymac
03-02-2011, 05:38 AM
Make sure your getting good base miles in on a consistent basis ... try to stay in zone 2 for your base miles. Nothing in training simulates climbing only climbing does. Climbing is more mental than physical once you gotten in riding shape. Also if there is a local club where you live join up with a group. It's much more fun to suffer with others than by yourself. Besides you'll probably meet some really good folks that way. Good luck :banana:

rustychain
03-02-2011, 06:25 AM
Some hill repeats would be my advise. Also remember to eat and drink often. One last thing, only light riding for a few days before the event. you need fresh legs

dekindy
03-02-2011, 06:49 AM
It depends upon the gradients. Like others, I am not able to guage the steepness of the climbs from the graph. If the climbs are in the 6-7% range you will probably be okay. If there are short, steep climbs, for me that means 12%+, you can very easily hit maximum heart rate and blow up. The key will be to eat and drink often and take breaks.

It appears that most of the training route climbing is in the first 30-40% of the ride. I would ride this as a loop. Get at least half the climbing of the century route into a 50-mile route, if possible or as close as you can, and ride that as a loop or out and back. Once you have done this a few times, ride the 50-mile loop in the morning, have lunch and rest, and ride it again. This will answer your question.

Remember also that it will be much warmer in May and you will have to deal with the additional heat. Cooling requires blood and your heart beat for a given effort will increase so that is a major consideration depending on your weight and body fat %.

rugbysecondrow
03-02-2011, 07:12 AM
In addition, I would train for what it appears you will encounter, two peaks back to back after a 40 mile warm up. If you are tired after forty miles now, you might want to train for how these hills will impact you. Also, go slower than you think, with the course being flat initially, you might be inclined to go faster, but you have to save yourself for these bubbles in the middle.

Looks like fun, May should be great weather.

Kevan
03-02-2011, 07:14 AM
the one thing I've learned, be prepared for flats. Bring a couple tubes, patches, and plenty of co2. The condition of those busier roads out there are just awful.

Oh, I'm not bragging; our roads here were destroyed by this winter.

AngryScientist
03-02-2011, 07:17 AM
dont get caught up in the century number, 100 miles is just a number, think of it as two back-to-back 50 mile rides if that's more manageable for you.

there are two key essentials to longer rides:

-fitness
-fueling

it is just as important to train your body to handle the miles as it is to train it to fuel efficiently and properly. learn how to eat,drink, and get required electrolytes now, the better you do at this, the more enjoyable the ride will be.

i would consider the route you posted as not too difficult, but that's relative to me, it's you, and your preparation that matters.

good luck, remember to enjoy yourself, bring us back a nice ride report and maybe a few snapshots.

ahumblecycler
03-02-2011, 07:51 AM
There is a third essential and that is "just do it!" Don't stop, don't hesitate, don't doubt ... just do it!

mpetry
03-02-2011, 09:11 AM
The San Diego ride is a moderately difficult century. I don't think the training route you've identified is nearly as hard.

Unless you can go down there and ride the hills on the course beforehand, I'd suggest you do a training ride from Palo Alto to Pescadero, over Woodside road, crossing the mountains twice, which is a similar profile to the San Diego ride.

Remember it will be quite a bit warmer in San Diego. Take 2 waterbottles, drink lots, pace yourself.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Jack Brunk
03-02-2011, 09:42 AM
It's a pretty avarage century for Southern California. I've ridden the course that outlined and it's not bad at all. Your training route that your doing now will have you prepared well. Add Mt. Tam in once a while and you'll be fine.

///Mik3
03-02-2011, 10:18 AM
thanks guys. thanks guys. With the century route having me a little nervous, I'm happy to hear that this isn't considered just an "easy" ride haha.

I kinda figured the general thoughts would be that i need to add more climbing so i guess i'll try to start adding more to my weekend rides. I probably also need to ride a little more often than i currently am. Hopefully my schedule will open up some in the next couple months to allow that.

JohnHemlock
03-02-2011, 10:35 AM
I agree with the posting about pretending it's just 2 50 mile rides.

I have been surprised at how easy a century ride really is when you are mentally prepared for it, even if your physical chops aren't awesome. I have had tougher days on a 40 mile ride into a headwind and slight grade than I have had on centuries where I gained and lost 12,000 feet of elevation.

dekindy
03-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I agree with the posting about pretending it's just 2 50 mile rides.

I have been surprised at how easy a century ride really is when you are mentally prepared for it, even if your physical chops aren't awesome. I have had tougher days on a 40 mile ride into a headwind and slight grade than I have had on centuries where I gained and lost 12,000 feet of elevation.

Do you weigh less than 160 pounds?

Bud_E
03-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Good advice given above.

My 2cents from an old slow guy who's done lots of centuries:

If you're doing 75 mile training rides I'd say you got it made. When you hit the climbs just remember to stay in a low gear and go at a comfortable pace - don't get caught up in going at someone else's pace and leave something for the end. From the profile it looks mostly downhill/flat after 67 miles. Have some endurolytes or whatever in case you start cramping.

edit - Don't forget to enjoy the scenery.

cdn_bacon
03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Sorry misread.

Enjoy your ride.lots of fluids. When you get to a hill... climb it. And pace yourself. Only you know your limits.

zray67
03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Some hill repeats would be my advise. Also remember to eat and drink often. One last thing, only light riding for a few days before the event. you need fresh legs

+1

tv_vt
03-02-2011, 12:24 PM
One question for you - how many low gears do you have left (unused) when you do your regular weekend ride? I'd hope you have maybe two lower gears that you're not using now - cuz it looks like you will need lower gears for the century (which looks to me like a hard 65 mile ride and a really easy 25 mile ride, with a 10 mile downhill in-between!).

PS - if you're riding 75 miles regularly now, no matter what terrain, you'll do fine with a century. Try to get into a group and just sit in a lot. (You do not need to pull at the front like a draft horse to justify riding in a group with strangers.) :)

Have fun, and watch the weather. If really hot, take it easy and drink a lot of fluids.

(I'm jealous... it's snowing out.)

BCS
03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
My $0.02

Make sure your bike is in good working order. Don't let a mechanical failure ruin your event.

No one will care about your time, the idea is to finish.

Good luck.

cnighbor1
03-02-2011, 01:41 PM
I would take BART over to Pleasant Hill and ride to North gate road and go to top of Mt diablo. 4000' elevation . If you can do that your in shape for century
I go with you
Charles
<cnighbor1@comcast.net>

dd74
03-02-2011, 04:25 PM
My advice would be to take advantage of every rest stop. Don't pass up any of them. Eat the food that is there, and drink...a lot. Take about five or more anti-cramping pills the night before, and continue to take them through the ride. And also keep sipping on a HED mixture throughout the ride, which should be in your second water bottle. Hopefully your frame can support two water bottles, the other one being strictly for water.

A Century is a great experience. Good luck with it. :beer:

JohnHemlock
03-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Do you weigh less than 160 pounds?

Ha, around 210!

It was more a mental thing during last year's Ride the Rockies. It was the shortest day of the week, no passes or real climbs, etc. I took a casual attitude towards it, since it looked so modest. But a long stretch of no shoulder, beating sun, headwinds, and slight uphill grade made it the toughest day of the ride because I was prepared for it to be way easier than it was.

jbrainin
03-02-2011, 09:58 PM
the one thing I've learned, be prepared for flats. Bring a couple tubes, patches, and plenty of co2. T

I'd forgo the CO2 and carry a pump. I've yet to have a pump fail during a ride while it's way too easy to run out of CO2 canisters.