PDA

View Full Version : Ksyrium SSC TdF

vaxn8r
02-05-2004, 01:23 AM
I was looking for a wheelset today for yet another new ride. I came across this TdF wheelset. I understand it's only different from the 2004 SSC SL in that they have ti skewers.

But, these are pretty cool. Individually engraved. I have set #1972. Wheel bags included. I've heard only several hundred sets were imported into the states. Then there's the single yellow spoke. That's so me....as every bike I have has at least some yellow on it.

Oh, the bike....ready? Caad 7, Ultegra and Ksyrium TdF. Way cool. So now I feel complete....I've owned steel, ti, CF and finally alum. I'll report after I ride it.

gwk
02-05-2004, 05:09 AM
vaxn8r, Didn't you say you were looking at some Rolfs? Wondering if you ever tried any and if you did what you thought of them. Thanks! George

Kevin
02-05-2004, 05:30 AM
I hope that you enjoy it.

Kevin

vaxn8r
02-05-2004, 10:29 PM
I was debating about the ROlfs but I just couldn't get enough info from people who have used them. This will probably be a rain bike and the Ksyriums have bullet proof hubs that I know will withstand abuse. I can't say that about the Rolfs.

The CDale is about as stiff out of the saddle and sprinting as the Calfee. It's maybe 3/4 pound heavier. Chalk that up to Ultegra and not ultra light stem/seatpost/fork etc. It does not nearly have the buttery smooth ride over chip seal and imperfect surfaces like the Calfee. The CDale is a huge bargain though and if I hadn't just got off a 50 miler on the Calfee before I rode the CDale I bet I would have been more glowing in my assessment. The Calfee is the best bike I've ever ridden so the bar has been set.

Russ
02-05-2004, 11:56 PM
vaxn8r,

The front wheel, more than the rear in this Mavic wheel set has undergone more changes. The hub is now different in the front, while the rear has remained virtually unchanged... other than the color (black to silver).

IMO, I do not think that the Ksyriums make a good set of "rain wheels". I say that because I have gotten caught on the rain a couple of times with these wheels and the rims get very noisy and dirty. For instance, last year, I went to the now famous (in the forum, at least) TdFL and we got caught in the rain a few times. Those riders that had Ksyriums had VERY, VERY NOISY wheels when they applied the brakes. I used Topolino's and my rims were clean and quiet and as good as new.

One final suggestion.... Why not save some cash and get yourself just the "regular" silver Ksyriums? I have seem many of them on eBay as cheap as $640 a set. The TDF wheels, on the other hand, always sell for at least $200 -$250 more....

Good luck!

vaxn8r
02-06-2004, 01:08 AM
thanks for the info Russ.

BTW, I paid a lot less than the prices you quoted. I won't say how much less. But the deal was pretty much why I bought them, that and their reputation for fairly light yet durable, low maintenance wheels.

Russ
02-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Hey vaxn8r,

If that is the case, then great! Can you ask the source where you got them if they have more they want to sell?

However, I would not use these wheels in the rain unless I have to.

Russ

Bruce K
02-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Russ;

I'm not sure where in FL you are but Lake Worth Cycle had a set of TdF Ksyriums with a Shimano hub hanging on the wall of their shop when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know if they are interested in moving them for a reduced price or even if they still have them, but it might be worth a call.

Good luck,

BK

vaxn8r
02-06-2004, 12:21 PM
last ones.

I understand they were imported in very limited numbers...maybe only several hndred to the entire US. The lbs got tired of having them sit up on the wall I guess. Good for me. But there are no more.

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2004, 02:06 PM
. . . wouldn't you ride them in the rain?

BBDave

oracle
02-06-2004, 02:39 PM
WOULD one ever intentionally subject equipment of good quality to rain?

oracle

Tom
02-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Because it's raining?

oracle
02-06-2004, 04:00 PM
the truth of your words cannot be denied, tom, but the idea of using a fine bike or a good pair of wheels on a rainy day is to me, completely alien. similarly, i would not subject my 'nice' car to salty winter road grime. good equipment obviously lasts far longer, and generally stays in much better condition when not subjected to foul weather. an extra set on cheap hoops and hubs will pay you off in the long run. please forgive me for not making clear the broader implication of my question, but i did not expect that it would be taken so literally.

:beer: oracle

Larry
02-06-2004, 04:07 PM
The Ksyrium do indeed look very cool.
I would consider a different wheel set for better aerodynamics, climbing, and all out performance.
I would take a good look at Speeddreams.... relatively inexpensive at $575.00.
They are significantly better in headwinds and crosswinds than Ksyriums. They are really quiet in the headwinds, but Ksyriums have a noticeable drag.

Speeddreams do not look quite as cool, but they are without a doubt ...... faster.

Larry

Second choice for Campy fans......... Campy Eurus. They look similar to
Speeddreams and are On Sale through Colorado Cyclist.

Larry

oracle
02-06-2004, 05:48 PM
what say ye 'bout the new dura ace wheelset on yer calfee?

oracle:beer:

Kevin
02-06-2004, 05:53 PM
I agree with Larry. The Speed Dreams are better than the Ksyrium SSLs. I also think that the Topolinos are better as well. I have relegated my Ksyriums to rainy rides and the trainer.

Kevin

vaxn8r
02-06-2004, 09:25 PM
First of all, if you live in the PNW between mid Nov and Feb. you are either going to get out of shape or you're going to ride in the rain a lot. Not that it doesn't rain in October, March or even June here. Now, I can ride a piece of crap bike for 5-6 months or bite the bullet and ride something good all the time. The Calfee is numero uno. The CDale is the rain bike and the OCLV is relegated to the trainer/rollers/backup. I haven't found a niche for the Atlanta yet, other than I just think it's cool and I like how it rides (but not close to the ride/performance of the Calfee and it's hard making a steel bike into a trainer/roller bike or even a winter rain bike because of rust concerns. So....anyone want a virtually new Atlanta? Actually I'm not sure I can part with it yet.

vaxn8r
02-06-2004, 09:31 PM
As for the DA wheels, I think they are awesome. Not ultra light like some Topolino or something, but they roll buttery smooth and seem plenty stiff for out of saddle hammering and climbing, yet not harsh at all (though that may be because they are on my Calfee).

One item to be aware of. These are 10 speed specific wheels only. They will not accept a 9 speed cassette. I understand it had to do with moving the bearings out as far as they could go or some other nonsense. Anyway, if you want to be able to switch back and forth they are not for you.

I'm curious to put the Ksyrium on the Calfee and compare.

BTW, the Ksyrium may not be the lightest or most aero wheel but they are very versatile and absolutley bullet proof. My shop sponsors a lot of racers and it's one of the wheels there are virtually never problems with.

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2004, 10:40 PM
<<. . . I would not subject my 'nice' car to salty winter road grime.>>

I appreciate the logic of your comment, but unfortunately many of us do not necessarily have the financial option of having a separate bike just to ride on crappy days.

And no one seems to have answered my original question . . . Why not ride Ksyriums in the rain? Mine seem to work fine.

BBDave

Russ
02-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by BumbleBeeDave
And no one seems to have answered my original question . . . Why not ride Ksyriums in the rain? Mine seem to work fine.

BBD,

How are the rims on your Ksyriums doing? Do you get the same problems I have pointed out?

Russ

vaxn8r
02-07-2004, 01:32 AM
I'll be riding them in the rain.

I wonder what brake pads you're using Russ?

Honestly there is no way around the extra wear when riding in the elements. Theres always road grit and wet grit is just like sand paper. Sooner or later you will wear through the rim. I've already worn through one set of Open Pros in several years of rain rides (Record pads). Mavic hubs will withstand water abuse more so than a vast majority of other "high end" hubs out there. The hub/quick release mechanism allows you to crank 'em on without stressing the bearings at all. Very cool feature you don't see others do.

But, the wheels are meant to be ridden and enjoyed. Everything is replaceable. I'd rather wear it out than have it sit in the garage and gather dust for months at a time.

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2004, 11:27 AM
What problems have you had? I have not ridden mine in the rain a lot, but I also did not cancel a ride this past season just because of rain and what it might do to my wheels.

I have noticed that a bit of water seems to accumulate in the rims that comes out when I change a tire, but not much. Just a few drops--not enough to add any significant weight--or rust anything, since the rims are aluminum.

As for the hubs, the only problem there has been the retaining collar on the front wheel loosening a bit, but I got the right size Park pin spanner to tighten it (the plastic Mavic tool is useless) and that works great.

BBDave

Tom
02-07-2004, 01:44 PM
I was being smart ass because it was late Friday and I was feeling giddy.

I tend to agree with you about not abusing things for no particular reason but in the case of the wheels I'm not sure how I would be. I'm under the impression that the bearings are sealed and water on the rims shouldn't beat them up that much. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. I do know I'm too lazy to swap the rear cluster back and forth with the backup set of rims all the time.

Dave doesn't have the problem with his rims because he knows if he brakes he definitely won't be keeping up with me. Heh heh.

Redturbo
02-07-2004, 06:11 PM
bbd,

use some blue loctite on the threads and then you will have no issues. well, with the k's at least.

turbo

BumbleBeeDave
02-07-2004, 09:32 PM
. . . Rust never sleeps!

And BTW, I WAS braking the whole time you were drafting on my zebra-striped butt. Didn’t want to embarrass you by dropping you too quickly!

BBDave

Scott
02-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Where can I find info on the Speed Dreams. I'm looking for new wheels... never heard of them. But then again I'm only a few years in the sport.
Thanks.

Larry
02-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Scott,

Dave Thomas is the builder of Speeddreams.

Velocity rims, Sapim spokes, and a really excellent hubset from White Industries.

Look up: www.speeddream.com

I am really pleased with my new wheels. They are fast and solid!

Larry :banana: :banana: :banana:

Kevin
02-08-2004, 06:02 AM
Dave Thomas is also a dream to deal with. Very knowledgable. Because we all have different needs his website is kind of sparse, you really have call him and speak to him. If you are honest with him and yourself as to what you want out of a wheel and your riding style, he will make you a great wheel. I have had a set for about a year. They are a fast set of wheels.

Kevin

Plato
02-08-2004, 06:49 AM
Ksyriums are not aero, handle poorly in windy conditions and aren't all that light, especially the rims which is where none of the weight savings exists. Not sure why these wheels get so much fanfare other than their stiffness. $700 or more for stiff wheels seems like a big stretch when you can custom build wheels which will be just as stiff and have better aero qualities about them with lighter rims. I rode Ksyriums for a season, they were a sponsorship gift and I always thought they were slow, mediocre performing wheels with big graphics. I switched to some SpeedDream Aerolites and they were not only as stiff as the SL's but definitely better in winds, and better accelerators to boot while costing less.

Kevin
02-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Plato,

Thanks for joining the forum. You are 100 percent correct on the Ksyriums. I don't know how they got their reputation. They are not light, they do not accelerate quickly. I have relegated them to the trainer and the rain. I much prefer the Topolinos, the Speed Dreams and the Campy Nucleons. These wheels are all better than the Ksyriums in almost everyway.

Kevin

Larry
02-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Kevin and Plato,

It is really quite simple: The Ksyriums are very cool appearing, and tend to be trouble-free, which is fine for the average rider. Harshness of ride is all relative to the individual. Air pressure in tires can be adjusted to the individual.

But, when I think back, my old Campy Ventos rode much better than Ksyrium.
Those Campys were dynamite through head and crosswinds. And..... bombproof.

The Speeddreams are better than the Campy and Ksyrium, no questions asked.
My ride partner is freaking out over the significant speed increase. I could easily estimate a 1.5 mph increase in speed with Speeddreams. He will counter the attack with a set of Campy Eurus for around $825.00 at the LBS. He now rides Ksyriums.

I am quite heavy, and it will be interesting to see how much spoke adjustment
and truing will be necessary on the Speeddreams.
Kevin: Have you encountered any significant changes in spoke tension, or the need to have your one year old wheels trued. I am thinking that they will require
minor adjustments, but..... I am not harsh on rims..... I lift up over tracks and big bumps in the pavement. The significant aero qualities with bladed spokes are worth the effort of getting spokes tweaked here and there....

The Speeddreams are really alot of bang for the buck at $575.00 total. They are quick and will make you significantly faster. It was a shot in the dark, when I ordered mine. I had never seen them at all here in Dallas. Dave Thomas really knows his wheels. I would do it again without hesitation.

Good riding folks.

Larry :banana: :banana: :banana:

Kevin
02-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Larry,

I weigh about 170. Because I rotate my stable of wheels I have to estimate the miles on the Speed Dreams. I would guess they have about 1500-2000 miles. The have never come out of tru. They have never broken a spoke. I try to bunny hop over potholes, but living in the North-East it is easier said than done.

You should also try the Topolinos. They are as nearly as fast as the Speed Dreams. A review of my log for last year has the Topolinos less than a 1/4 of mph slower than the Speed Dreams. Compared to the Ksyriums SSC Sls, which were 1 mph slower than the Speed Dreams. The Topolinos have a much nicer ride. The carbon/kevlar spokes are great at absorbing road vibration.

Kevin

oracle
02-09-2004, 11:47 AM
wow! hellenomania 21st century style. maybe socrates and agathon will show up up next....:beer:

oracle