PDA

View Full Version : EddieF: How many miles on the 'bent these days?

Louis
05-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Eddie,

I'm just wondering, how much of your riding is on the recumbent lately?

Any long term ride comments, 'bent vs. standard? Have you not yet fully joined the cult?

A buddy of mine at work bought one last year, but has not been riding it much, to the point where his wife even mentioned that he had not been using it much...

I just thought I'd see how you were doing, since I don't recall you mentioning it recently.

Louis

eddief
05-25-2005, 11:07 PM
talk about going for the gusto with a hair up one's butt. I worked super hard on my Bacchetta recumbent project. Dialed in the fit, dialed in the gearing, dialed in the cleats and shoes.

I put about 250 on it and could finally spin that mother up some steep hills here in the Bay Area. But I gotta say, when push came to shove, I found myself choosing one of my fine upright singles over the recumbent most of the time.

I just never got super comfortable with the riding position in traffic, spinning up steep hills, and starting from a full stop on any sort of uphill slant. Many months ago I put it up for sale and ended up learning a lesson that cost in the neighborhood of $350. Pretty cheap for all I learned, the fun I had and now able to say I know what that sort of recumbent is all about.

Ultimately, I think I'd have been more content with something like a long wheel base Gold Rush than I was with the slightly more radical Bacchetta. My back felt comfy on the Bacchetta, and I still get a pain in my lower back on a upright single, but I do really enjoy the current 4 bike stable of singles.

Thanks for asking.

Louis
05-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Eddie,

Thanks for the update. Sorry the Bacchetta didn’t work out. I don’t own a ‘bent, have never ridden one, and don’t have any immediate plans to buy one, but I’ve always thought that they are cool in a different sort of way.

It’s interesting that no one on the forum chimed in on this thread. You would have thought that at least somebody out there would have something to say about recumbents. I guess this is the wrong sort of crowd for that type of bike.

Louis

BarryG
05-27-2005, 06:38 AM
Louis, I'd be happy to respond to any questions as well. I ran into Eddie in the e-world of recumbents. Two ruptured cervical discs sent me there 3 years ago, but I'm back riding 100% DF as of now. Last year I tried to ride 50%DF and 50% recumbent. I loved riding the Bacchetta Aero, but I couldn't sort out the knee pain that it was causing, and I spent way too much time on the sidelines because of it. The Aero was almost effortless in its ability to pull away from DF's on the flats and I could stay with DF's on short hills, but long climbs were significantly slower. My unsupported hypothesis is that it is caused by diminished blood flow to the elevated legs when climbing on a high racer. As soon as I started a bit of hill training with the recumbent, the knee pain became a constant. Of course, the comfort level was MUCH higher than on the DF, but being sidelined by knee pain was a show stopper.

I found it problematic to ride the recumbent on group rides with DF friends. The natural rhythms of accelerating/deccelerating are just not in sync. And you don't get the joy of "dancing on the pedals" with the ability to throw your body around for power and balance, like you do on a DF. Also, you can't ride shoulder-to-shoulder with your buddies and it was best to stay out of the pacelines, not that you needed the draft on the flats.

For me it's a juggling act with neck, shoulder and knee issues, but this year I've got a new more upright DF frame and it's going fairly well. I suspect that my knee problems with the recumbent were somehow caused by the relatively high bottom bracket of the high racer design and at some point in the future, I'd like to try a less radical design with the seat and bottom bracket at the same level. For casual riding on not-too-hilly terrain, nothing beats viewing scenery from the cockpit of a fairly upright recumbent seat. For go-fast group rides, it's a different story.

Barry

Too Tall
05-27-2005, 07:12 AM
What is a DF?

I know Bill Cook (Barcroft). He meets other recumbent riders at a parking lot about 1 mile from my house on weekends.

I'll admit a desire to set a recumbent tandem speed record or break the absolute time record for PBP but that's as far as it goes. I think it's very cool these bikes have attracted so many to sports.

PS - Bill, I want your Volvo. I'll give it a good home.....crushing rice burners :cool: That is one sick car.

BarryG
05-27-2005, 08:07 AM
What is a DF?
diamond frame

eddief
05-27-2005, 08:44 AM
I might recommend that you give yourself a day, find a bent dealer, and do some test rides. My local dealer charges $25 per hour for allowing people to do just that. My point is, once you get the hang of balancing, there really is nothing quite like cruising on the flats on a bent. Very aero, very smooth, very comfy. You might just get hooked. If nothing else, just checking it out can be a great day all by itself.

ChamUK
05-27-2005, 11:16 AM
I rode a bent (hpvelotechnik speedmachine) for a season. Lots of fun. Once I got into shape, I started using my old road bike (Litespeed Catalyst) more and more. The speedmachine collected dust. I decided to sell it. And I bought a new road bike-a centaur equipped Colnago. Needless to say, I'm very happy.
I have to admit, that the most fun ride I've ever had was test riding a Greenspeed GTO tadpole recumbent, and a Windcheetah recumbent. Nothing compares-they are incredible fun, just not practical. But great toys to have!!!!

Louis
05-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Interesting info guys. IMO it's just a snob appeal thing. If 'bents were allowed in the TDF then everyone would be riding them. Since Lance doesn't ride one they aren't cool.

If it weren't so darn hilly near my house I would buy one.

Louis