PDA

View Full Version : bike wipe-down

AngryScientist
03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
after wet or grimy rides i like to give my bike a wipedown. i generally use pedros bike lust to wet a rag and wipe the bike down.

http://www.pricepoint.com/images/styleimages/D_085%20PEDBL2.jpg

this for my painted frames and the Ti bike. it really makes the bike shine, and cleans it nicely, removing dirt and grime easily. its billed as a silicone polish with a biodegradable cleaner mixed in, sort of a cleaner/polish fluid.

well, it's pretty expensive relatively speaking, and i need to go to a bike shop or order it to get it, so not convenient to obtain.

besides water, does anyone use something else thats more readily available to wipe the bike down to clean it?

Charles M
03-01-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm stuck on motorex bike shine now...

Sheds dirt better later than most other stuff. Doesn't attract dust and dirt like pledge.

firerescuefin
03-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Maguires quick detailing spray works great/readily available/reasonably priced.

92degrees
03-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Maguires quick detailing spray works great/readily available/reasonably priced.

+1 that's the stuff. I'm still working off my first bottle and I use it daily.

old_fat_and_slow
03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Dam, I'm so behind the times!

All this time all I've been usin' is good ol' agua.

tfunkin
03-01-2011, 03:15 PM
People who use the Maguire's [edit: is it actually "Meguiar's"?], do you only use that, or do you wipe it down with a wet cloth or something, first?

firerescuefin
03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
I use the Mags/microfiber on everything but big stuck on dirt/mud/sand. After using, the bike becomes exponentially easier to keep clean.

rugbysecondrow
03-01-2011, 03:32 PM
If I wipe it down, I use baby wipes. If they work to get poo off my sons arse in a gentle yet effective way, it will work just fine for my bikes.

I am not a slave to my bike though, so I don't wipe it down unless it is needed. A little dirt is ok.

layneo59
03-01-2011, 03:32 PM
What ever happened to just plain water to clean, followed by Pledge for a nice shine and lemony smell? Can't beat the price!

rnhood
03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
I buy the cheap washcloth packets from Walmart - 18 cloths for $3 - and after most any ride of 62 miles or greater, or after wet rides, I dampen the cloth with water and wipe the entire bike down including the wheels. Works great. Before discarding the rag, I'll sometimes loosely run the chain through it to knock off any dirt and/or topical residue. Then re-lube.

I'll use straight Simple Green or similar cleaner on a rag when I'm cleaning the white handlebar tape. Also works great.

Bud
03-01-2011, 03:35 PM
So should I not be using a general purpose cleaner such as 409? It hasn't harmed the paint or finish on my bikes, and it cleans the grime. And I like the baby wipe solution too. We have a lot of those around now that we have twins.

fourflys
03-01-2011, 03:47 PM
for my Ti, I'll wipe it down with a baby wipe first and then hit it with some lemon Pledge... some of the more "experienced" minds on here told me about the Pledge... I was told to use lemon specifically though...

YMMV

SEABREEZE
03-01-2011, 04:07 PM
If you seek out a detaling supplier in your area, they carry commercial products. you will find the prices quite reasonable for carring for your cars boats rv's and bikes.

Serotta Pete shared this link a while ago

http://store.carcareonline.com/wax.aspx

godfrey1112000
03-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I have been using Turtle Wax Spay and wipe

Cleans and protects also get the Road Tar/grime off, but I might try one of the mentioned

thanks

miguel
03-01-2011, 04:27 PM
mcguiars and sham wow

sham wow after riding home in rain

biker72
03-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Meguiar's makes a number of different waxes. Which one do you use??

92degrees
03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I was referring to Meguiar's Quik Detailer. It's not a solution for a filthy bike -- it's for wiping down a fairly clean bike that maybe you've sweated over or sprayed with sports drink. It makes a clean bike immaculate and helps keep the bike clean (water beads). It's great after you've washed the bike -- no streaks and the bike stays clean longer.

If you want to "wax" the bike with something that polishes and protects for longer term, then you want a paste wax. YMMV.

Bob Loblaw
03-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Plain old lemon Pledge. Works great, leaves a nice shine.

BL

dd74
03-02-2011, 12:55 AM
My LBS uses Pledge to wipe down their bikes. I'm just suspicious of the long-term effect Pledge might cause on the paint in lieu of wax and polishers. Would anyone know? Thx.

Geeeewiz
03-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Try Armor All Cleaning wipes. They come in a handy tube and work great.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=188440&productId=188440&WT.mc_id=Shopping_Feed_Products_Google_Free_Listin g