PDA

View Full Version : Any Fellow Cheeseheads Here?

saab2000
05-25-2005, 09:37 PM
I have been making some noise here about a trip/training camp this summer. Got me thinking. Right here in WI in the area between La Crosse-Madison-Rockford-Dubuque is some of the best riding in the US. And it is totally undiscovered.

When I am in the US I am a cheesehead (I was born here and my German-speaking heritage is right at home here..... :beer: ) and I am thinking of spending my vacation right down in that area doing 100 mile rides in those hills.

Anyone from there?

I know the Mr. Beshear is from the Quad Cities, and that is close. That Madison area is very appealing, just seems a bit less exotic than going back to Switzerland and climbing in the Alps for 2 weeks.

H.Frank Beshear
05-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Saab check with the guys at Cronometro in Madison. Great shop good bunch of guys. Colin, one of the owners held the U.S. hour record for a while. They would be able to put you on some nice roads. Dubuque has some nasty hills I'll get a taste of them on TOMRV in a couple weeks. Hope the cold is getting better. Frank

Too Tall
05-26-2005, 07:00 AM
Actually, I've been involved in Ultradistance racing from Davenport. Yep, it's a fantastic area for riding. Tons of long drags up glacial wash and the low hills never quit. Nice folks, friendly cows. The randoneering groups from Iowa and Wi are first rate and you've got the Haldeman's home base in Sharon Wi.

I'd encourage you to give the 300 and 400k distance a shot. The Great Lakes Randoneur Club puts on a good event and I'm sure Haldeman will be there to ride : http://www.iit.edu/~csbole/calendar.html Terrain is rolling and the Stupor 8 motel in Delavan is the starting place.

Say hi to Emmy, SuzieBell and Buttercup for me....dang I miss the cows.

saab2000
05-26-2005, 07:26 AM
Frank,

The cold has turned into a sinus infection. No riding now for 10 days and counting......... I am on antibiotics.

:crap:

paulh
05-26-2005, 07:43 AM
Me and some of the guys would routinely go over to just SE of LaCrosse and do some riding out of the town of St. Joeseph. You can really get in some good hills. There was a guy who wrote about some rides in this area in Silent Sports magazine. I think he had one called "the Abomination".. 110 miles with 10,000ft of climbing. Beautiful riding... and you probably know there are_no_gravel_roads out there. Years ago I guess the milk industry got the promise of paved roads throughout cow country.

Or come just west into Minnesota and you can also combine some nice hills with the Root River Trail... just don't do it on a nice weekend day.

Good Luck!!