PDA

View Full Version : rolling bill board

Fixed
03-01-2011, 06:24 AM
why do so many companies put such large (their name ) stickers all over everything ?
it looks so cheap to me . i guess some guys may think it looks pro or something. i think we should get a discount for advertisement space
cheers

LesMiner
03-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Perhaps one could negotiate the price on say wheels. No stickers agree to pay the MSRP. With stickers free and agree to ride them everywhere in full view just like any other advertising.

Fixed
03-01-2011, 07:32 AM
small stickers are ok the big i inch letters all over over the place a bit much
cheers

Lifelover
03-01-2011, 09:30 AM
The most important aspect of marketing is name recognition. Always has been and always will be. Not understanding it doesn't change it.

Fixed
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
doesn't mean i have to like it
cheers
in the old days ad stickers were much more tasteful and artful

Steve in SLO
03-01-2011, 09:42 AM
+1 to fixed.
When handlebar and stem grapnics became bolder than my old bike's frame decals I decided I didn't really like the new style of competing sponser graphics. I guess it's PRO, though
I tend to desticker my wheels and appreciate stealth. Thomson, VO, even Ritchey are much more attractive to me than 3T and ENVE. I can't get past the graphics of some of the carbon wheels to even consider them.
Such a curmudgeon...

torquer
03-01-2011, 09:43 AM
i guess some guys may think it looks pro or something. i think we should get a discount for advertisement space
cheers
It looks pro, but also we live in a brandname-saturated world, where lots of folks would be happy to keep the price tags on their clothing, in case anyone missed the significance of their designer logos.

As someone once characterized cyclists' clothing, it's NASCAR meets figure skating.

xjoex
03-01-2011, 09:50 AM
How will people know what I am riding if it can't be seen from 25 feet?

-Joe

benb
03-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I desticker my wheels after a while because the decals start to look like crap after a season or so anyway.. eventually they seem to soak up grease and brake pad material...

I'm thinking of removing the Serotta logos from my chainstays as well.. they just don't seem to hold up very well and it's way easier to just be able to blast the Ti with degreaser and clean away when working on the bike without worrying about decals. At that point I will just be down to seat tube + down tube decals.

I like the schemes in Serotta's 2011 pictures.. they have really made the frame logos subtle.. lots of the frames appear to only have a logo on either the seat tube or the chainstay, as opposed to both.

I'm not too militant about this on bikes.. it's just practical.. however I am pretty militant about it with street clothes. I pretty much refuse to wear any clothes that have large logos. I can deal with a Nike Swoosh, a little rebook symbol, a PI logo on my bike clothes, etc.. but anything more than that forget it. The "you should pay me for advertising your brand" idea definitely comes to mind.

William
03-01-2011, 10:12 AM
As someone once characterized cyclists' clothing, it's NASCAR meets figure skating.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/files/2007/03/l46160-1.jpg

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/features/petacchi_colnago/CN06-Petacchi_bike2.jpg

;) :)

William

false_Aest
03-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Hommé,

When you're 12 you want to use whatever your heros tell you to: Nike, Monster, RedBull, etc.

We think that we can buy talent and hard work: Hed-trager, SchleckStrong, Fingerbanging fastness comes with a bunch of stickers that says, "Bro, you will be Fingerbang Fast with these things."

We're suckers just like when we were 12 . . . Except that we're suckers with purchasing power.
----

No one wants to have a section of this forum where we do before and after pictures of us . . . fat-so to thinness. We want sex in a can with a bombdiggidy paintjob and cRabon bits. We have self-conscious egos.

Steve in SLO
03-01-2011, 12:19 PM
"Bro, you will be Fingerbang Fast with these things."
Pardon my ignorance, but just how fast is that in, say, mph?

false_Aest
03-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Good question! I'm glad you asked.

Speed will be increased between 8d6 and 3d16

+8 int
-4 str

For the non-geeks . . . my damage dice calculator says, "0, 1 and many"

---

Purchasing a Ford-Rotta will change outcomes significantly:

25d2

-25,000 gold
-10 int.

---

Quaffing Monster, RedBull or Sparks is +2 str -5 int

Steve in SLO
03-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks, but I think you mean 4d16, being that 3 is a prime number.

avalonracing
03-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I'd love to be able to buy a decent performance oriented jacket or t-shirt without a stupid logo. But, as mentioned many people only buy certain items because of the logo.
If do you think many people would buy a $12,000 IWC or Rolex if it were the same exact watch without the logo?

Fixed
03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
what got me thinking about this was my cannondale saeco sitting next to my old eddy merckx ..
cheers

AngryScientist
03-01-2011, 01:35 PM
while in general i do agree with what you're saying, i really, really like this bike:

http://bikekast.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Time-RXR-Ulteam.jpg

Fixed
03-01-2011, 01:44 PM
great bike totally pro
cheers

fourflys
03-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm totally contemplating taking the logo off my downtube... I just wish I could find one of old-school Litepseed headbadges so I could replace that sticker as well...

no mistaking what I ride, huh? ;)
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/IMG1125/1178294932_wRaYC-M.jpg

fourflys
03-01-2011, 03:45 PM
while in general i do agree with what you're saying, i really, really like this bike:

that is a sweet bike, but it for sure looks like something a pro would ride... Rashaan Bahati has been racing a Look this season that has graphics much the same as that, but that's ok because he can back up the looks (no pun intended)...

William
03-01-2011, 04:30 PM
I was racing a super stealthy Serotta yeas ago..... :hello:

William

Nil Else
03-01-2011, 04:53 PM
I'd love to be able to buy a decent performance oriented jacket or t-shirt without a stupid logo. But, as mentioned many people only buy certain items because of the logo.

Assos generally have tiny little single logo (or some have a real tiny tiny little logo like Fugu) however it's pretty obvious they are Assos though. Aren't Rapha the same?

1centaur
03-01-2011, 05:54 PM
The thing with logos is that they can make up the color balance in a different way that's pleasing to the eye. Logo-free can be just as annoying if it's all about "look at plain, plain, unpretentious me." I view the mix of logos in frame and components like I view fashion - you can have fun with it and work the aesthetic, or you be compulsively minimalist. Each comes from an emotional place, and both are valid even in the same person at different times.

I love that Time bike.

Nil Else
03-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I like that Time too... but generally radical frames get dated very fast... if you are concerned about such things (pardon moi for the drift).

tuscanyswe
03-01-2011, 06:09 PM
I like some stickers but hate most. They are ususally not that hard to get of the equipement anyways. Unless under clear, those are a pain! Im dedecaling this frame tomorrow tho :)

Fixed
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
nice bike
cheers

tuscanyswe
03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks! will be great fun to try fixed. Im very very exited about the whole experience actually. Dont know why i held of for so long.

Steve in SLO
03-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm totally contemplating taking the logo off my downtube... I just wish I could find one of old-school Litepseed headbadges so I could replace that sticker as well...

no mistaking what I ride, huh? ;)
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/IMG1125/1178294932_wRaYC-M.jpg
Is that the 'frost heave' death machine?

fourflys
03-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Is that the 'frost heave' death machine?

that it is Steve.... :banana:

hiljentaa
03-02-2011, 01:14 AM
I wish that the big companies could get back to the days when you had to make a product nice enough in function and form to not need the gaudiness of the tacky and cheap modern branding. A quality product should be able to 'sell itself' to its target audience.

Pipedream, I know. :)

Fixed
03-02-2011, 02:30 AM
I wish that the big companies could get back to the days when you had to make a product nice enough in function and form to not need the gaudiness of the tacky and cheap modern branding. A quality product should be able to 'sell itself' to its target audience.

Pipedream, I know. :)
+1

BumbleBeeDave
03-02-2011, 05:28 AM

. . .a can of white Krylon and a roll of masking tape won't fix. :D

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
03-02-2011, 05:29 AM
http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/files/2007/03/l46160-1.jpg

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/features/petacchi_colnago/CN06-Petacchi_bike2.jpg

;) :)

William

. . . would look really nice with my white/carbon Catlike helmet! . . . :p

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
03-02-2011, 05:39 AM
I read something some years ago about a study of lapel and shirt collar size in fashion. It made a very direct connection between the state of the economy and size, with lapels and collars getting larger in times of economic recession and uncertainty. Perhaps the same theory applies here?

At least you CAN find cycling clothing without the graphics if you want to. But if you're an average consumer (not somebody from this forum who knows where to go to find custom) just go to any LBS and try to buy a bike from Specialized, Trek, Giant, or a host of others that doesn't have logos pasted all over it, often under the clear coat where there's not a lot you can do about them without making it look really stupid by putting tape over them.

Most of the carbon deep dish wheels are way too gaudy, but at least those are stickers and you can get them off. I am more of the gaudy school myself on the bike (like that's a surprise to anyone here? :rolleyes: ) because whatever gets me noticed by soccer Mom eating donuts and texting while steering her minivan with her knees, but off the bike I go with subtle.

BBD

Fixed
03-02-2011, 02:39 PM
ok i may be wrong again mrs fixed the artist and graphic expert has the view that it makes us more visible and that makes us safer .
cheers

Ahneida Ride
03-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Uh .... I know one product that is logo less ... :hello:

BumbleBeeDave
03-02-2011, 04:46 PM

. . . around part of your bike? :p

Just a wild guess . . .

BBD

torquer
03-03-2011, 10:58 AM
There's a high-end Eyetalian leather-goods outfit (is there any other kind?) that used to advertise "when your own initials are enough." They almost went broke, before they realized that maybe they weren't enough, but now they are back (sort of) where they started:

When Maier took over Bottega Veneta, in June, 2001, the fashion world was ruled by bling-laden excess, symbolized by the phenomenon of the It Bag. Maier’s first act upon taking over at Bottega Veneta was to design a bag that looked, in the context of the times, like a rebuke: a woven leather sack with two handles. With no logos, no hardware, no adornments, the bag, which Maier called a Cabat, has since become one of the label’s top-selling items.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/01/03/110103fa_fact_colapinto#ixzz1FYZ4Z1Tc

Nil Else
03-03-2011, 12:03 PM
I believe practicality and realistic/sensible pricing is starting to put the mind numbing astronomically priced designer/name brand norm back into genie bottle from pedestrian populous.