PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone still making aftermarket 1" threadless carbon forks?

Merlmabase
02-28-2011, 07:13 PM
We've started to unpack the 2011 distributor catalogs at the shop. I've been planning to pick up a 1" EC90 fork for this purdy tig-welded motobecane frame I've got sitting the basement, that I'd like to build up as a reasonably light racer. But the guys we get Easton stuff through no longer have a 1" fork listed, so I head over to Easton's site, and indeed, it looks like the 1" EC90's have been discontinued. damn.

There's still a chance I can catch one floating around online. Just missed a sale of one in the classifieds section right here on the forums. But is anyone else making a decent aftermarket carbon fork for old threaded-fork frames? I like Easton's low-key design (was going to paint the fork), but I'm willing to compromise at this point.

Thanks!

pitcrew
02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Serotta.....

PaulE
02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Don't know of anything in between, but Serotta offers the F3 and S3 forks with one inch carbon steerers, and Nashbar has several carbon forks with 1 inch steerers. And Nashbar has a 20% coupon good for a couple more hours today.

oliver1850
02-28-2011, 07:22 PM

phoenix
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Wound up makes some 1" threadless road forks with a 1" carbon or steel steertube. They also can come with absurdly long steertubes (if necessary). Personally they look ok to me, depending on the build of course.

http://www.woundupcomposites.com/specs.html (Wound Up Specs )
http://www.woundupcomposites.com/pricing.html (Wound Up pricing)

bike22
02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
ritchey, nashbar, woundup, and easton are the ones that i know of.

there usually are some nos and used ones kicking around on ebay and forums like these.

old_fat_and_slow
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah, unfortunately 1 inch steerer forks seem to be going the way of the Dodo and the passenger pigeon.

Merlmabase
02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
So many great replies! I guess I imagined there would always be a market for 1" steerers, since there are so many beautiful old steel frames in circulation that people would want to tweak for weight and ride quality. But maybe it's just me. :)

thwart
02-28-2011, 09:08 PM
I think the 'carbon fork to replace the steel one---save some weight' phase has pretty much run its course. 3/4 pound of extra weight seems to be not that big a deal if you're considering a steel frameset, and a classic steel fork ride...

I replaced the stock 1 inch Kestrel EMS carbon fork/steel steerer on my Pegoretti Palosanto with an all-carbon Alpha Q about a year ago. Can't find any of them any more...

bicycletricycle
02-28-2011, 09:47 PM
1" carbon forks don't ride better than steel forks anyways.

dawgie
03-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Torelli sells a very nice 1" carbon fork with aluminum steerer for $185. They also sell an all-carbon 1" fork for $350.

http://www.torelli.com/parts/carbon-forks/aspect-carbon-fork.html

Germany_chris
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Reynolds Ouzo Pro at cambria for 349..looked last night

noahgenda
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
The One incher I sourced was Litespeed, but it was just a NOS one. I agree with the above statement saying that they dont ride that much better than steel ones.

Jeff N.
03-01-2011, 02:33 PM
The Kestrel EMS one inchers are/were the best ever made. They usually go for big bucks if you can find them uncut. Jeff N.

hiljentaa
03-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Performance also has their own Forte branded 1" threadless carbon fork. Alu crown and dropouts and chromo steerer though.

Louis
03-02-2011, 02:30 AM
The Kestrel EMS one inchers are/were the best ever made. They usually go for big bucks if you can find them uncut. Jeff N.

That's what I have on my daily-driver and it's been great. I don't know how much it was when I got it new about seven years ago, but it couldn't have been too much, otherwise I would not have bought it.

Jeff N.
03-02-2011, 08:09 AM
That's what I have on my daily-driver and it's been great. I don't know how much it was when I got it new about seven years ago, but it couldn't have been too much, otherwise I would not have bought it.
Right. Always reasonably priced. Jeff N.

tmessenger
03-02-2011, 09:02 AM
I have a lightly use all carbon Ouzo Pro 1" steerer uncut I might be selling, am waiting for a Ti fork I've ordered to come in, if you are not in a big hurry let me know.

Tim

bfd
03-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Kestrel is an interesting company. Back in the 90s, they were *the* aftermarket carbon fork mfr. The EMS fork with steel steerer tube was the bomb and nobody could touch them. However, they never innovated. To this day, Kestrel has never come out with a carbon steerer tube. As other mfrs like Reynolds, Alpha Q, Easton, even Wound Up all came out with carbon steerer tubes, Kestrel never did. So, their 500g steel steerer tube carbon fork couldn't compete with those that had carbon steerer and weighed in the 300-350g range.

Kestrel did come out with a ti steerer tube fork, my buddy has one, and it was great. But, still not nearly as light as a carbon steerer and the cost was very high, like $600-700 compared to $300-350 for other carbon steerer forks. The end result was they couldn't compete and eventually stopped making carbon forks. Too bad, nice design and as other said very well built. Good Luck!

Mark McM
03-02-2011, 01:04 PM
To this day, Kestrel has never come out with a carbon steerer tube. As other mfrs like Reynolds, Alpha Q, Easton, even Wound Up all came out with carbon steerer tubes, Kestrel never did. So, their 500g steel steerer tube carbon fork couldn't compete with those that had carbon steerer and weighed in the 300-350g range.

Kestrel has been using carbon steerers for a few years, such as on their Talon SL (http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/Road/Talon-SL-Road.aspx). Although the weight for their current carbon steerer fork is not listed, the 2009 Talon SL (http://2009.kestrelbicycles.com/Road/TalonSL.aspx) listed the fork weight as 410 grams.

bfd
03-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Kestrel has been using carbon steerers for a few years, such as on their Talon SL (http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/Road/Talon-SL-Road.aspx). Although the weight for their current carbon steerer fork is not listed, the 2009 Talon SL (http://2009.kestrelbicycles.com/Road/TalonSL.aspx) listed the fork weight as 410 grams.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Wow, it took them over 20 years to finally come out with a carbon steerer tube, and it is a heavy one at that! :crap: :cool: :beer: :fight:

Nevertheless, I have never seen this fork available separately. Then again, at 410g, it is probably too heavy to be competitive on the aftermarket. Good Luck!

Mark McM
03-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Nevertheless, I have never seen this fork available separately. Then again, at 410g, it is probably too heavy to be competitive on the aftermarket. Good Luck!

It is not surprising that you haven't seen this fork separately, since the aftermarket carbon fork market has virtually dried up. Kestrel is just one of many brand names that have dropped out of the aftermarket carbon fork market. Other notable brands that have dropped out of the market include:

Alpha-Q
Columbus
Reynolds
Look
Time
3TTT

bfd
03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
It is not surprising that you haven't seen this fork separately, since the aftermarket carbon fork market has virtually dried up. Kestrel is just one of many brand names that have dropped out of the aftermarket carbon fork market. Other notable brands that have dropped out of the market include:

Alpha-Q
Columbus
Reynolds
Look
Time
3TTT

Don't forget Easton too! About the only fork mfrs left are either the Chinese made ones sold thru places like Nashbar and Performance or the high end like Edge and Serotta, both of which charge in the $600-700+ range for their forks! Yes, there's still Wound-Up and Winwood, but those aren't easy to find either. And if you want 1" steerer tube, good luck!

old_fat_and_slow
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
(snippage) .... Kestrel is just one of many brand names that have dropped out of the aftermarket carbon fork market. Other notable brands that have dropped out of the market include:

Alpha-Q
Columbus
Reynolds
Look
Time
3TTT

Anybody have an inkling why this is happening? Liability? Being undercut on price by far east? Surely Look and Time still manufacture their own forks, why not have a presence in the aftermarket? What's up with Reynolds, they want to play the wheel game, but not forks?

bike22
03-02-2011, 04:50 PM
my shot in the dark guess is liability

oliver1850
03-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Jeff N.
03-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Kestrel is an interesting company. Back in the 90s, they were *the* aftermarket carbon fork mfr. The EMS fork with steel steerer tube was the bomb and nobody could touch them. However, they never innovated. To this day, Kestrel has never come out with a carbon steerer tube. As other mfrs like Reynolds, Alpha Q, Easton, even Wound Up all came out with carbon steerer tubes, Kestrel never did. So, their 500g steel steerer tube carbon fork couldn't compete with those that had carbon steerer and weighed in the 300-350g range.

Kestrel did come out with a ti steerer tube fork, my buddy has one, and it was great. But, still not nearly as light as a carbon steerer and the cost was very high, like $600-700 compared to $300-350 for other carbon steerer forks. The end result was they couldn't compete and eventually stopped making carbon forks. Too bad, nice design and as other said very well built. Good Luck!
Weight notwithstanding, the Kestrel EMS is, IMO, the stiffest, strongest/most bomb-proof fork ever produced. I have NEVER heard of one failing. Ever. Seemingly indestructable. Too bad they ain't around anymore.