PDA

View Full Version : Hope Pro3 Mono Hubs

scho74
02-28-2011, 02:53 PM
hey all, does anyone have these hubs on their wheels? i'm looking to get a set of hubs and can't decide among the following:

CK R45
DT 240
Hope Pro3

i found some pretty good deals on all 3 of the above and the hopes are $200 less than the other 2. i've heard great things about all of them but heard the hopes are hard to service because not a lot of shops have the tools for the hubs. does anyone have experience with them?

cp43
02-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I have 2 sets of Pro2s, plus a third rear hub. I have been happy with all of them.

I have had two issues with them. First, the freehub body is aluminum, and if you use a cassette with individual cogs and spacers the cogs will gouge the splines, and it will be difficult to remove the cassette. You can get a steel freehub body, which should eliminate this problem, or you can use cassettes with the cogs grouped together on a carrier.

The second issue I had was that the drive side flange failed on one of my rear hubs. The flange cracked between some of the spoke holes. It was replaced promptly by Hope, the new one has been fine for the last year or so. However, the replacement they provided was only the shell, not including the freehub, or bearings. I had to pull the bearings out of the old shell, and press them into the new one. To your point about tools, I was able to do this with a mallet and a quick release skewer, so I'm not sure what tools would be needed that a shop wouldn't have.

Other than the above issues, I haven't serviced them at all, and they've been fine.

I'm not sure how the Pro3 is different from the Pro2, but I would buy the Hopes again.

Chris