PDA

View Full Version : It was gonna be a good day...

fourflys
02-27-2011, 07:12 PM
so, I went out for ride today and should have known something was up when I realized I forgot my Garmin...

This was my mid-ride break...
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/DelMar/1200654876_V6g59-L.jpg

and then when I was about 3 miles from home I hit was is kind of like a frost heave and went down hard... this was the results (wore through my jersey and baselayer!)
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/IMG1144/1200648348_xVmGX-L.jpg

I think my bones are fine, but I scraped up my left shifter really good and hit my head so hard I was seeing colored stars... thank God I had a helmet on...

as everyone says, its not if you go down... its when...

biker72
02-27-2011, 07:17 PM
OUCH!!!
Any other damage to your bike??

fourflys
02-27-2011, 07:20 PM
OUCH!!!
Any other damage to your bike??

not that I've found so far... the shifter is still functional as far as I can tell...

I think I'm going to be a little sore the next couple of days... ;)

rugbysecondrow
02-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Good thing you have a little extra padding or you might have broken a bone or two. I hope my padding helps when I take my next spill. :)

All joking aside, glad you are ok.

Paul

fourflys
02-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Good thing you have a little extra padding or you might have broken a bone or two. I hope my padding helps when I take my next spill. :)

All joking aside, glad you are ok.

Paul

OUCH! I think that stings more than the roadrash! :D

no worries... I'll never be a whispy climber type, that's for sure... ;)
:beer:

bike22
02-27-2011, 07:29 PM
it's a special accomplishment when you get road rash through a couple layers

rugbysecondrow
02-27-2011, 07:31 PM
OUCH! I think that stings more than the roadrash! :D

no worries... I'll never be a whispy climber type, that's for sure... ;)
:beer:

All in good fun. I know I earned my extra, lots of good memories and late nights wrapped up in it.

Get well.

oldfatslow
02-27-2011, 07:32 PM
and then when I was about 3 miles from home I hit was is kind of like a frost heave and went down hard

Whatever. None of us really believe there could be frost in San Diego. We know the weather is always perfect. You don't have to spread these falsehoods in the media to prevent us from all moving down to join you.

:)

fourflys
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Whatever. None of us really believe there could be frost in San Diego. We know the weather is always perfect. You don't have to spread these falsehoods in the media to prevent us from all moving down to join you.

I never said it WAS a frost heave... just the best way I could explain it... I'll be leaving in 2012 anyway, so that will open up a spot for someone to move here... :D

troymac
02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm glad there were no broken bones ... sorry about the crash get well soon.

fourflys
02-27-2011, 07:42 PM
thanks Troy!

biker72
02-27-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm really surprised that you didn't break any bones......padding or not. :) That rash on the top of your shoulder appears to be fairly deep.

firerescuefin
02-27-2011, 07:49 PM
That's what happens when a Coast Guard guy tries to use sailing jargon when passing riders on a group ride. "Passing on your starboard side" ;)

That looks like it will heal quick. Glad it was relatively minor...and that you had your helmet on.:beer:

qjetha
02-27-2011, 08:01 PM
It is funny how sometimes something small like a forgotten Garmin can kinda mess up your head a little bit make you lose a little touch of focus and then cause a crash (just assuming that something like that happened to you today).

Last year I had a small training crash when my powertap had just died. I was riding with a buddy and we came up to a fork in the road I said to go left and then preceded to turn right straight into him. I blame that bout of stupidity on my lack of a functioning computer.

Anyway, heal up quick, grab your garmin and get out for another ride :)

AngryScientist
02-27-2011, 08:17 PM
youch, heal up quick.

this is beautiful, i wish i were sitting there right now with a good cigar and a glass of scotch.

Fixed
02-27-2011, 08:44 PM
it was a good day you fell and you are just banged up a little a good fall
cheers i hope you feel better soon

oldfatslow
02-27-2011, 08:51 PM
I forgot to add -- heal up quickly! You are right that the question is not one of whether you'll fall but when (at least for those of us who ride regularly). Good thing you were wearing you helmet.

xjoex
02-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Ouch that looks like it hurts. Hope you heal up soon.

-Joe

Ti Designs
02-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Let's see if I got this right. You have that kind of scenary, you go out for rides with a base layer and jersey, you fall once and it's a bad ride? Would you care to guess how many snow plow drivers called me an asshole today???

Steve in SLO
02-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Ti: I don't think he said it was a bad ride.

fourflys: Please come up with a better story than that.
Seriously, frost heave in California?!? Are you trying to ruin our reputation or something? Think of something involving bikinis or joggers...or joggers in bikinis...or at LEAST a cute cyclist winking at you. Sheesh :crap:

Steve in SLO
02-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Oh, and I am glad you'll heal up OK.

fourflys
02-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Ti: I don't think he said it was a bad ride.

fourflys: Please come up with a better story than that.
Seriously, frost heave in California?!? Are you trying to ruin our reputation or something? Think of something involving bikinis or joggers...or joggers in bikinis...or at LEAST a cute cyclist winking at you. Sheesh :crap:

you're right, I've gotta get a better story...

Ti- a frost heave was the best way I could describe a crack in the pavement that was sticking up a few inches... and yes, it was a good ride... as far as the base layer, I always wear one and it looks like it was good thing I was today...

BTW- right before I took the pic of the beach, I was passed by the legendary John Howard... once you've seen John, it's hard to mistake him... ;)

pbjbike
02-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Not to discount all the love offered here, but ICE is your best friend. Use it liberally before bed the next few days. :)

Steve in SLO
02-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Not to discount all the love offered here, but ICE is your best friend. Use it liberally before bed the next few days. :)
Agreed, and something over that raw skin such as neosporin or vaseline...it'll stop the sticking and cracking of scabs and itching and such.

kenw
02-27-2011, 11:59 PM
in San Diego?

1centaur
02-28-2011, 05:02 AM
Frost heave = tectonic plate

ti_boi
02-28-2011, 05:21 AM
so, I went out for ride today and should have known something was up when I realized I forgot my Garmin...

This was my mid-ride break...

and then when I was about 3 miles from home I hit was is kind of like a frost heave and went down hard... this was the results (wore through my jersey and baselayer!)
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/IMG1144/1200648348_xVmGX-L.jpg

I think my bones are fine, but I scraped up my left shifter really good and hit my head so hard I was seeing colored stars... thank God I had a helmet on...

as everyone says, its not if you go down... its when...

Happens fast right?! The worst thing is that once I hit 45, seems like the hits come hard, and the healing seems to take forever!!! I feel your pain, but envy your landscape.

Fixed
02-28-2011, 05:42 AM
you're right, I've gotta get a better story...

BTW- right before I took the pic of the beach, I was passed by the legendary John Howard... once you've seen John, it's hard to mistake him... ;)
wow the praying mantis 's slip stream thats what knocked you down ..
one of my cycling heros
cheers

soulspinner
02-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Not to be a nagging mom, but if you saw stars you should be checked out. At least dont sleep for 12 hours and shi4can that helmet. Glad it wasnt worse.

Dan Le foot
02-28-2011, 09:07 AM
That's why we were hikers yesterday. :fight:
The views of the snow in the MTS yesterday were amazing.
Get well soon. We need to do a ride together. Ever get up by Escondido?
Dan

fourflys
02-28-2011, 09:28 AM
That's why we were hikers yesterday. :fight:
The views of the snow in the MTS yesterday were amazing.
Get well soon. We need to do a ride together. Ever get up by Escondido?
Dan

Dan,
I live in Sabre Springs where the 56 meet the 15... so, yes I could be up in Esco in a heartbeat.... I love riding Del Dios towards the ocean...

BTW- I put some neosporin and tegraderm on the roadrash last night and they seem to be doing ok... my shoulder is a bit sore though... ;)

thwart
02-28-2011, 09:37 AM
and hit my head so hard I was seeing colored stars... Concussion #1. No contact sports for a week...

Seriously, if no helmet, intubated on a ventilator with a severe head injury. Family at bedside 24/7, no sleep, lots of tears.

Or worse.

Dan Le foot
02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Dan,
I live in Sabre Springs where the 56 meet the 15... so, yes I could be up in Esco in a heartbeat.... I love riding Del Dios towards the ocean...

BTW- I put some neosporin and tegraderm on the roadrash last night and they seem to be doing ok... my shoulder is a bit sore though... ;)
We live in Hidden Meadows right at the Deer Springs exit off the 15.
Going to do Rice/Couser in a little while. Ever do it?
Let's stay in touch.
Dan

Ken Robb
02-28-2011, 11:06 AM
That's what happens when a Coast Guard guy tries to use sailing jargon when passing riders on a group ride. "Passing on your starboard side" ;)

That looks like it will heal quick. Glad it was relatively minor...and that you had your helmet on.:beer:

Anyone who passes on the starboard side deserves whatever he gets. :)

fourflys
02-28-2011, 11:58 AM
We live in Hidden Meadows right at the Deer Springs exit off the 15.
Going to do Rice/Couser in a little while. Ever do it?
Let's stay in touch.
Dan

Dan,
I don't think have, but I will! :D I did do a SoCal Rivendell ride up in that area one time a couple years ago...

I'll send you a pm with my email...

Chris

nahtnoj
02-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Two words - "bunny hop"

firerescuefin
02-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Have you ruled out someone living in the cold Midwest "experimenting" with their fourflys voodoo doll. Perhaps a trip to Haiti should be in your plans. Time to throw down the chicken bones.

fourflys
02-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Have you ruled out someone living in the cold Midwest "experimenting" with their fourflys voodoo doll. Perhaps a trip to Haiti should be in your plans. Time to throw down the chicken bones.

maybe... :D

crazy thing is I've ridden that stretch of the bike trails many times and never had an issue... I was feeling pretty drained, maybe I just had a moment of inattention...

one thing that really got me fired up more than going down was the fact I had just passed a guy going the other way... he had to have heard me go down because I think I uttered a couple expletives... guy didn't even stop or turn around... and I mean we had JUST passed each other...

good news is I contacted Lazar helmets and they told me to take my damaged helmet back to the dealer and I could get a new one at a discount... no idea how much the discount is, but it's better than nothing... if I feel good tomorrow, I'm going to try and get back out for a bit... (with a back-up helmet, of course)

brockd15
02-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Ow...it looks like you lost chunks out of your forearm!

LesMiner
02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
I went down hard once back in June 2009. Broken collar bone and shoulder blade with road rash so I could not ride for about 8 weeks. With no broken bones you can get back on the bike very soon. I would not discount a possible concussion. Sounds like you were riding alone and luckily you could get up and walk away. The next time you go out I would seriously ride with someone. You may need support if anything goes wrong on your first ride.

fourflys
02-28-2011, 01:21 PM
I went down hard once back in June 2009. Broken collar bone and shoulder blade with road rash so I could not ride for about 8 weeks. With no broken bones you can get back on the bike very soon. I would not discount a possible concussion. Sounds like you were riding alone and luckily you could get up and walk away. The next time you go out I would seriously ride with someone. You may need support if anything goes wrong on your first ride.

thanks all! I'm actually a Coast Guard Independent Duty Corpsman (medic) and I did do a self assessment... If I do have a slight concussion, there's really nothing to treat anyway... I think I got really lucky with just some roadrash an soreness... I know others have had a lot worse... since this was my first serious "over the bars", I had to post about it!

Thanks again for all the well wishes and advice!

Chris :beer:

mpetry
02-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Hope you are healing up OK. Is that picture at the top of the Torrey Pines hill ?

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

fourflys
02-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Hope you are healing up OK. Is that picture at the top of the Torrey Pines hill ?

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

That is Powerhouse/Seagrove Park in Del Mar... I usually head east right before Torrey Pines hill...

biker72
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
I've spent a few years in the Navy, so I know the difference between port and starboard, bow and stern...etc. I don't know what a Independent Duty Corpsman is.

There was still a draft when I was in so there wasn't anything independent about it.. :)

fourflys
02-28-2011, 07:41 PM
. I don't know what a Independent Duty Corpsman is.

it just means I've been trained to function aboard ship without a physician... a higher level Corpsman than what is in the hospitals/clinics... I often explain that when working on active duty folks, I'm somewhere between a nurse and a physician assistant (I can diagnose, prescribe, do minor surgeries, etc)... I was the only medical on my boat (about 85 crew) while we were 200 miles off shore...

rustychisel
02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
bad luck that... at least it doesn't look too bad. May I suggest you self-assess the bruising in a day or two, and don't be tempted to get out on the bike too soon. Give it time to heal.

fourflys
03-01-2011, 03:37 PM
so, I took my helmet in to see about a crash replacement and the LBS guy showed me something I hadn't noticed before... a pretty good crack on the inside/left side... :eek:

glad I used my better sense and decided to get it replaced... BTW- Lazer has a 20% off MSRP crash replacement program,so I decided to up grade and order myself a new Helium... I figured I only got one head and got really lucky this time...

I was driving home and actually got a chill thinking about what might have been if I hadn't had the helmet on...

so, anyway I have one of these coming...
http://www.lazersport.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/resized/HeliumWhiteSilver.jpg