PDA

View Full Version : Centaur shifting problem.

thinpin
02-26-2011, 05:46 PM
When the RD is shifted from the the larger to the smaller cogs the derailleur and shift lever skips and slips down to the smallest cog without any control. This happens when riding and also without the chain on on the work stand. I suspect something is worn in the lever but having stripped and reassembled it it still persists. Not have seen the inside of these levers before I am not sure what I should be looking for. The levers are from a carbon 10s centaur group QS, and use this system (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paDzYrVN6is&feature=related).
Having dis-assembled and reassembled the lever I am confident replacing any parts but dont know what to order to replace! I see banford have a great supply of parts so I should be able to order from there. Anyone able to advise. :beer:

SPOKE
02-26-2011, 06:29 PM
At a minimum replace both "G" springs. The spring carrier may be cracked too but you'll have to disassemble everything to determine if it's cracked. The ratchet ring may be worn too if you have more than 5k miles on the shifter.

Dave
02-26-2011, 06:48 PM
There are no g-springs in the escape mechanism. The other problem is you may not be able to find any replacement parts for these levers, even if you figure out what is broken.

The new powershift mechanism works much like the escape version and new shifters are incredibly cheap from places like Ribble in the UK. Considering that you get an entire new cableset included with new shifters, it's probably not worth repairing your old shifters. Most people also find the new brake hood to be much more comfortable, so you get another upgrade with powershift.

New Veloce powershift levers are only about $100.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/Gearshift-and-Brake-Lever-Sets-Road/GRSS

ultraman6970
02-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Depends of the centaur, some centaur are escape other ones are ultra shift, pretty much looks like the CARRIER is broken, it is a piece that has 2 pins, 1 might be broken or something.

I know patrick, he is selling a pair of miche track wheels now, he has or had a set of veloce shifters that are not escape, those are tiny expensier than the escape models.

Do you have a picture of the lever and the parts u took out of it? If i see it i might be able to tell you what broke but looks like the carrier needs to be replaced. The question is to find the part now.

fogrider
02-26-2011, 09:28 PM
http://branfordbike.com/product-list/parts-1051/shift-brake-combinations-1086/

thinpin
02-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Ultraman, the system used is the same as in the xenon levers in the link in my first post.
I have been through the branford site but what to get? As there are now so many variations for the guts of these things its hard to figure whats what. I have a pair of escape veloces the I have replaced on the bike, but I thought campag was serviceable! Thanks for the replies.

ultraman6970
02-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Yes it is serviceable but all depends of the shifter, i would call brandford and ask them. I'm not familiar with escape at all because the guts are a little bit different to ultrashift, but based in the video... I dare to say that the piece where the cable is attached to is simply old. That piece in escape is made of plastic i believe, would not surprise me that it failed. The good news is a new one is like 5 bucks. I saw it last week at ebay, I even had it in my list but took it out, now cant find it, darn :(

From the video, Escape is pretty simple to fix, u have no idea the nightmare that is the 1st time you open an ultrashift one.

I believe this is the one that is messing you up...

http://www.bikeman.com/LD9937.html

Since you opened already it will be easy to figure it out. Maybe is simply worn out.

oldpotatoe
02-27-2011, 06:43 AM
At a minimum replace both "G" springs. The spring carrier may be cracked too but you'll have to disassemble everything to determine if it's cracked. The ratchet ring may be worn too if you have more than 5k miles on the shifter.

Different shifter guts and in the 600-700 levers I have overhauled, starting in 1992, I have never seen a shift disc, ratchet ring wear out. VERY hard steel.

Dave
02-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Everyone seems to be missing the link to the escape shifter mechanism, provided by the OP. The escape mechanism is nothing like the one used in all Campy shifters prior to 2007. The escape mechanism was originally used on the lowest level Xenon shifters and moved up the line to Centaur and lower levels in 2007-2008. Ultrashift was used in 2009-2010 and now there is the powershift mechanism for Athena and lower levels.

Brandford shows no escape shifter repair parts and neither does A.E. Bike.

thinpin
03-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Everyone seems to be missing the link to the escape shifter mechanism, provided by the OP. The escape mechanism is nothing like the one used in all Campy shifters prior to 2007. The escape mechanism was originally used on the lowest level Xenon shifters and moved up the line to Centaur and lower levels in 2007-2008. Ultrashift was used in 2009-2010 and now there is the powershift mechanism for Athena and lower levels.

Brandford shows no escape shifter repair parts and neither does A.E. Bike.

Dave, you are quite correct, as usual! This is my problem. Is it possible to replace the entire shift mech with a better model? In any case I think this may be a job for a professional. :beer:

oldpotatoe
03-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Dave, you are quite correct, as usual! This is my problem. Is it possible to replace the entire shift mech with a better model? In any case I think this may be a job for a professional. :beer:

Not Dave but no, cannot replace the guts with anything else. ..if less than 3 years old, warranty.

ultraman6970
03-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Well the pieces I linked are escape, still some parts available if you want to try to fix it.

Thanks.

thinpin
03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys for the responses.
Ultraman, Ill scroll through that site see what I can find.
Oldpotatoe, they are just over 3 years old so out of warranty. :crap: