PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to win an E-Bay dispute

fourflys
02-26-2011, 03:37 PM
So, I'm in an Organizational Behavior class and I ran across this tidbit about resolving disputes on ebay and I'm sure it would work elsewhere as well... I thought it was pretty interesting and relevant...

"A study of dispute resolution among eBay buyers and sellers finds that using words that give “face” were more likely than words that attack “face” to result in the settlement of online disputes. Jeanne Brett, Marla Olekans, Ray Friedman, Nathan Goates, Cameron Anderson, and Cara Cherry Lisco studied real disputes being addressed through Square Trade, an online dispute resolution service to which eBay refers unhappy customers. The researchers note that a study by the National Consumer League reported that 41 percent of participants in online trading had problems, often associated with late deliveries. For purposes of the study a “dispute” was defined as a form of conflict in which one party to a transaction makes a claim that the other party rejects.

The researchers point out that most past research on dispute resolution has focused on situational and participant characteristics. In this case they adopted what they call a “language-based” approach based on the perspectives of face theory, essentially arguing that how participants use language to give and attack the face of the other party will have a major impact on results. For example, in filing a claim an unhappy buyer might use polite words that preserve the positive self-image or face of the seller, or they might use negative words that attack this sense of face. Examples of negative words are “agitated, angry, apprehensive, despise, disgusted, frustrated, furious, and hate.”

This study examined 386 eBay-generated disputes processed through Square Trade. Words used in the first social interchange between parties were analyzed. Results showed that expressing negative emotions and giving commands to the other party inhibited dispute resolution, whereas providing a causal explanation, offering suggestions, and communicating firmness all made dispute resolution more likely. An hypothesis that expressing positive emotions would increase the likelihood of dispute resolution was not supported. The study also showed that the longer a dispute played out, the less likely it was to be resolved.

In terms of practical implications the researchers specifically state: “Watch your language; avoid attacking the other’s face either by showing your anger toward them, or expressing contempt; avoid signaling weakness; be firm in your claim. Provide causal accounts that take responsibility and give face.” Finally, they note that these basic principles apply in other dispute resolution contexts, not just online."

source:
Organizational Behavior, Tenth Edition
Chapter 15: Conflict and Negotiation. “Yes” helps open doors
ISBN: 9780470086964 Author: John R. Schermerhorn, James G. Hunt, Richard N. Osborn
copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons

avalonracing
02-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Summary:
Don't jump right into a-hole mode and you'll have much better luck.

mpetry
02-26-2011, 04:05 PM
I agree and great research that validates what we know intuitively. I have done business on ebay for years and the vast majority of trades go fine with no trouble. Once in a while however, there are problems and it is amazing to me how quickly people adopt an attitude of indignance, sending emails that are just downright nasty when there's no cause to do so.

I suspect it's a similar phenomenon to "flame wars" - when people don't have direct experience of the other party, their emotions take over and respect and empathy go out the window.

Good info, thanks for posting!

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

rice rocket
02-26-2011, 04:12 PM
I've only had one item I sold that required arbitration (and it was due to a delay in customs; the item was eventually received). I have no desire to make it last longer than it needs, so skip the adjectives, give the facts, the tracking numbers, the timelines, the photos and I'm done.

It also gives the eBay arbitrator the sense that you're not dicking around, and thus are more likely to rule in your favor.

OP: Enjoy OB, I found it pretty interesting.

fourflys
02-26-2011, 04:14 PM
OP: Enjoy OB, I found it pretty interesting.

one of the better classes I've done... I wish we could get deeper into it, but you can only do so much in 5 weeks (U of Phoenix...)

biker72
02-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Let’s face it. You're not going to get many concessions out of someone you've just called an anal orifice.

I’ve had no problems with eBay however I did have a problem with the IRS late last year. They claimed I owed them almost $20k. I used the technique described in fourflys post by not attacking their face and submitting reams of documentation to support my case. They decided in my favor.

Vientomas
02-26-2011, 05:45 PM
My Momma always used to say: "Forrest, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

William
02-27-2011, 08:21 AM
It's also very effective in dealing with overseas vendors for credit or replacement resolutions.

William