PDA

View Full Version : Brand-X skewers . . .

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Lots of chi-chi looking skewers on eBay. I assume most are from Taiwan or China. I also notice in NAHBS pics so far a healthy number of bikes there also seem to have these minimalist type skewers. They sure are pretty . . .

Anybody have any experience with quality--or lack of it--on these? Or are the ones at NAHBS from a dependable supplier and the eBay clones are just that--clone knock-offs?

I'd love to get some red skewers to match my new red bike, but don't want to waste my money on something that is low quality or even unsafe.

Then again, what kind of quality does a skewer have to have to do its job properly of simply holding the axle in the dropouts? . . .

BBD

dave thompson
02-26-2011, 11:32 AM
I think, if you want bling and good skewers, Salsa is really hard to beat.

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2011, 11:33 AM
That's my benchmark. Kinda massive looking, though.

BBD

avalonracing
02-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Well, what's the worst that can happen if a skewer breaks? :D

akelman
02-26-2011, 11:40 AM
I had a set of skewers that looked very much like the Tokens you have pictured. I think they probably would have been just fine. And I did ride them a few times. But they sure were flimsy. I ended up going back to my old standbys: Mavic, Campy, Salsa.

tele
02-26-2011, 11:51 AM
i have a set of the kcnc and they are light and seem to hold very well--haven't had a problem in a couple of years anyway.

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Well, what's the worst that can happen if a skewer breaks? :D

. . . this, maybe? :eek: :crap:

Not taking a chance if I don't have to . . .

BBD

avalonracing
02-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Dude I was kidding!

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2011, 12:22 PM
That's me in the ER last August.

BBD

Jawn P
02-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Blingy is nice, but Dura Ace skewers have no equal in my mind.

fogrider
02-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Blingy is nice, but Dura Ace skewers have no equal in my mind.
I was just thinking the same thing for campy skewers.

Don49
02-27-2011, 06:14 PM
You might consider the Hope Tech skewers.

A little expensive, but no question about reliability. I like the appearance better than the Salsa's, having had both.

rustychain
02-28-2011, 03:18 AM
I'm 95 kilos, I ride hard and still race a bit. I break thing too. I do take good care of my equipment but still I need good strong stuff or it fails. I've been using Ti skewers sence the late 80's. While some designs tend to wear faster and some require more care in use I have never had one fail. Some brands may squeak a bit and you need to pay attention to the tension but IMO if used correctly, you check for wear and check the tension regularly they ar fine. If you want to set your skewers and forget them, I suggest you stay with Campy. I've used Tolken skewers before and had no issues after about a year the socket area started to show some wear. While still fully functional I decided to replace them. My current set weigh in at 38 grams for the pair. After two years they still are fine. FYI during the last 3 years of this " test" I ended up in the emergency room twice due to bad crashes. One crash destroyed my fork and handlebar but the skewers held tight