PDA

View Full Version : Surly Long Haul Trucker?

benb
02-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Anyone have one of these?

I haven't had a "practical" bike in a few years. I used to have a fixie that I used for commuting and stuff.. but it really was a fairly crappy handling bike and I ended up selling it.

Right now all I have is my Serotta and a double-boinger mountain bike.

My main thing I'm looking forward to for riding this summer is commuting. (Which is a nutty 55-60 miles round trip.) Last summer I did this a bit with my Serotta but it's really not the right bike for this. (CF seatpost, no braze ons for racks/fenders, etc..) It's really the only easy way for me to get big miles in though. With the road bike I end up having to bring a load of clothes & food into the office with my car the day before or suffer carrying a courier bag.

Anyway the Long Haul Trucker looks like it would really work for me.. my Serotta is kind of an in between 59 size that has a 72.5 degree STA. The LHT has the 72.5 STA in the 58 and 60 and I'm guessing I could get the positioning almost exactly the same as my Serotta maybe by grabbing the 58 and just using a longer/higher rise stem. It seems like they come set up with such high rise stems that I'd have to lower the bars quite a bit. I'd have to go measure a 58 and 60 though as the more relaxed head tube angle might bring the bars back too far on the 58.

Just curious.. the price is right on the surly and it's cheap enough I wouldn't get too frightened locking it up if I used it for errands around town. General reviews seem to be pretty positive for this bike.

Jawn P
02-24-2011, 05:12 PM
I had one and loved it.

Sold it when my commute got a bit longer and I decided to ride my racier options a bit quicker.

Price is right for sure, and if you're buying the complete, it's very reasonably spec'd.

One thing to keep in mind at least in regards to ST length, it has a low bb, so it's going to feel a little shorter than your Serotta standover-wise.

Nooch
02-24-2011, 05:15 PM
<edit> just realized we're talking long haul trucker and I'd mistaken it with the Big Dummy.... whoops!!

Rada
02-24-2011, 05:15 PM
I've test ridden an LHT and a Pacer. In both cases I came away less than impressed. Both were heavy and not very responsive. I personally believe the powers that be at Surly do a very impressive job at marketing their company and products as something that neither are.

Frankwurst
02-24-2011, 06:02 PM
I bought one for our son when he was in college. I have an Atlantis and he wanted something that would work like it but didn't have the funds for something like that. He borrowed the money (from me) rode it while he was in school and when he graduated I told him the debt was forgiven. I rode it more than once and told him if he ever decided to sell it give me the right of first refusal . For the money I think they are hard to beat. They aren't sporty by any stretch of the imagination but they are comfortable and basically bullet proof. :beer:

AngryScientist
02-24-2011, 06:17 PM
it appears to me that there are two models of LHT, one that uses 700c wheels, and one that uses 26" wheels. 700c would be mandatory for me.

that said, if you're not touring with the bike, just going to work and back, i think you can do much better. realistically, if you leave a pair of shoes at work, and all you need to carry is a change of clothes and maybe lunch, a small rack should do it. there are a number of steel road frames out there that will accommodate this.

it's probably a great touring bike, but for a quick commute to work, i'd want something lighter, with bomb proof wheels and a small rack.

bobswire
02-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Surly LHT and Soma DC are both smart, practical frames for the money.

I built up a Surly LHT last year for a friend.
http://i51.tinypic.com/zl6xk2.jpg

Just finished this Soma DC last week.
http://i52.tinypic.com/op7lt2.jpg

Both make great all rounders.

This one was my personal Soma DC that I sold to another forumite last year.
http://i51.tinypic.com/24yv985.jpg

c77barlage
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
I've never understood the allure of Surly bikes. I think they have a great marketing dept.

Fixed
02-24-2011, 06:26 PM
60 miles a day on the surly seems a bit ambitious
half that sounds doable though

eddief
02-24-2011, 06:26 PM
do you need/want a truck to haul a lot of weight...or just you and and some stuff on a rear trunk rack? you might consider something both sporting and utiliarian. maybe a bike you would use for commuting, but also one fine enough for group rides and going faster. a Soma ES, Civia Bryant:

http://civiacycles.com/bikes/bryant/bryant_tiagra/

or more bucks for a Gunnar Sport.

nothin at all against an LHT, but don't miss out on other cost effective options.

Fixed
02-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I've never understood the allure of Surly bikes. I think they have a great marketing dept.
relatively cheap ,dependable and innovative
cheers imho

02-24-2011, 06:28 PM
The LHT is heavy and not the aggressive geometry or performance of the bikes a lot of us ride here, but as a commuter or a winter bike it's nice. Can't beat the price. I borrowed and rode one for a while. The fatal flaw for me was that in the smaller sizes it's 650C only and I didn't want to have to keep a separate set of wheels for it. In the OP's size, it's 700C so this isn't a problem.

If you want a bike that you don't mind scratching up, that has every brazeon known to man for fenders, racks, light, etc., you'll like it. If you put those extras on your bike, it won't be light anyway. But if you're commuting in San Diego it may not make as much sense.

salem
02-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I bought one new a number of years ago, and rode it for 1-2 years, but was never a fan. It isn't a bad bike per say, it just wasn't a good match.

I was using it specifically as a touring bike, but I tend to travel light and weigh only about 140# myself. At this weight and load, the bike simply felt dead. I think is was simply too stiff, heavy, and over built for my usage. If I toured with 50# of gear, it probably would have felt great.

It was replaced by an old Diamondback mountain bike from the mid 80s. Geometry was very similar with long 18" chainstays for heal clearance and it even had a full compliment of rack braze-ons, including low-rider fork mounts (which I actually don't need, as everything I carry fits on back). This bike, while still plenty stiff, is just so much more enjoyable a ride.

So, if you want something for heavy loads (including yourself), it is a good bike. However, if you like something more multi-purpose, don't plan to commuter with a lot of gear, and don't have huge feet (the extra, extra long chainstays are are more unique to touring frames), a cross frame might be more enjoyable, or even an older, rigid mountain bike (like my commuter--a Trek 7000).

If you do still like the LHT concept, Soma makes a similar frame that might be worth a look as well. That gets Tange Prestige over the Surly's house tubes.

salem
02-24-2011, 06:33 PM

I mentioned Soma too, but I should clarify: I would directly compare to the Double Cross which has substantially different geometry, but rather this:
http://www.somafab.com/sagatouring.html

bobswire
02-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I mentioned Soma too, but I should clarify: I would directly compare to the Double Cross which has substantially different geometry, but rather this:
http://www.somafab.com/sagatouring.html

Saga's are nice but if you ride anything smaller than a 56cm you can't use 700c. Same as the Surly LHT.

Soma DC all use 700c wheels.

Marcusaurelius
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
I had one but it's really made for touring. If you are looking for something to commute on a surly cross-check would be a much better fit. They also make a pacer which you can mount fenders on but I've never had one one of those just a long haul trucker and a cross-check.

dancinkozmo
02-24-2011, 08:00 PM
+1 on the cross check....i love mine

bike22
02-24-2011, 08:07 PM
The fatal flaw for me was that in the smaller sizes it's 650C
nope, the smaller lhts use 26" (mtb size) not 650c (triathlon/tt)

Anyhow, the LHT is hands down the_best production touring bike, and one of the best values in bikes today.

I'd only buy one if I planned on doing some serious, full on, extended loaded touring. If I wanted something for rain/commuting/utility or whatever, I'd look into something along the lines of a pacer or cross check or one of the others suggested in this thread.

christian
02-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Given the current cost of Bruce Gordon BLTs, I wouldn't buy an LHT. Pork strip sandwich all they way.

fiamme red
02-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Given the current cost of Bruce Gordon BLTs, I wouldn't buy an LHT. Pork strip sandwich all they way.I agree! The Taiwanese BLT is a great value.

http://www.bgcycles.com/blt.html

But the OP says that he plans to use the bike for a 55-60 mile round-trip commute. For that purpose, I wouldn't recommend a bike built for loaded touring, but something lighter and sprightlier. If your bike is fast and fun to ride, it will inspire you to commute more often.

christian
02-25-2011, 07:24 AM
I agree. My main commuting steed is a Merckx MXL, but sometimes the Palosanto demands to come instead. Nelson Carradice carries my stuff.

If you do a lot of miles on your commuter, you deserve to ride a nice bike! That said, my thoughts assumed that he had lots of stuff (e.g laptop, books, gym clothes) to bring on the commute, and that was the reason for considering the LHT. If that's the case, then I stand by my recommendation for an BLT.

roguedog
02-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Just finished this Soma DC last week.
http://i52.tinypic.com/op7lt2.jpg

]

this is yours, bobswire? i've been coming across it in either my ebay or cl searches. man i like the looks of the soma's recently. for some reason their buena vista's call to me.

back on topic... i agree with other posters that for that mileage i'd go for something a bit sportier if you're not carrying lots of gear. something like along the lines of a serotta rapid tour, the pacer, or the dc.

at that price point i'd lean towards the dc because of its versatility and it seems slightly beefier and more of an all rounder than the pacer.

there's also the salsa casseroll that some folks seem to like as well.

bobswire
02-25-2011, 09:40 AM
this is yours, bobswire? i've been coming across it in either my ebay or cl searches. man i like the looks of the soma's recently. for some reason their buena vista's call to me.

back on topic... i agree with other posters that for that mileage i'd go for something a bit sportier if you're not carrying lots of gear. something like along the lines of a serotta rapid tour, the pacer, or the dc.

at that price point i'd lean towards the dc because of its versatility and it seems slightly beefier and more of an all rounder than the pacer.

there's also the salsa casseroll that some folks seem to like as well.

Yep, just listed it on CL this week. Gotta make ends meet.

There is also the Velo Orange Polyvalent Build Kit Frame /fork/wheelset which is a pretty good deal. Chris puts a lot of thought and research behind his products.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/frames/polyvalent/polyvalent-build-kit.html

jeo99
02-25-2011, 09:54 AM
I had one but it's really made for touring. If you are looking for something to commute on a surly cross-check would be a much better fit. They also make a pacer which you can mount fenders on but I've never had one one of those just a long haul trucker and a cross-check.

+2 Cheap, proven record and a great commuting bike!

:beer:

I do have a LHT. However this built specifically for a load!

Bradford
02-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I don't get why people keep saying touring bikes aren't fun to ride. I've had two different touring bikes over the last 20 years and both were a blast to ride, both loaded and unloaded. My Independence is a little slower than my Legend, but it is more comfortable than any racing bike I have owned and handles beautifully. If I'm riding with other people, I prefer the Legend. If I'm riding alone, it is 50/50 which bike I grab, and I am equally happy on both. When commuting, riding around town for errands, pulling my kid in the trailer, or doing the Copper Triangle, it is the touring bike hands down.

If it were me, I'd get the BLT. Great bike, great price, perfect for commuting and the added benefit of being able to tour on it.

jr59
02-25-2011, 10:01 AM
I have a CC. I tested a LHT and liked the CC better.

As a frame it's a tank, or as I like to call it a milk truck.

I bought it as a complete bike, but should have just bought the frame.
I replaced everything on it. I run a chours 10 speed, with deep V rims and record hubs.
Doing that made it about 2lb's lighter, and more fun to ride, FOR a TRUCK!

It's a commuter, grocery getter, rain bike and does all those things well.

I am thinking about a Kelly Bedford frame to do the same thing as my CC. I don't think it could do it better. Maybe a LITTLE more responcive or lighter, but not better.

benb
02-25-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure I care about how fast the bike is.. if the Cross Check can be built up with fenders & racks etc.. if I do want to use it as a milk truck I guess I could look at that one too. I'd probably be more likely to err on the side of being able to go do an unsupported tour if the opportunity arose.

I've commuted on a mountain bike plenty (although certainly not this crazy long commute) I don't really think the speed matters that much. Timing lights and stuff seems to have far more of an impact then how fast I ride. And as soon as I carry a bag or anything the bag is probably slowing me down more then the difference in bikes.

salem
02-25-2011, 12:13 PM
I don't get why people keep saying touring bikes aren't fun to ride.

I hope my comments about the LHT were not misconstrued as generalizations about ALL touring bikes. The Diamondback I have now has great touring geometry and fitments, but the tubeset used (Tange MTB) makes for a much more enjoyable ride than the LHT did with the same parts.

jeo99
02-25-2011, 01:23 PM
I hope my comments about the LHT were not misconstrued as generalizations about ALL touring bikes. The Diamondback I have now has great touring geometry and fitments, but the tubeset used (Tange MTB) makes for a much more enjoyable ride than the LHT did with the same parts.

That is most likely true. The LHT is designed for full heavy self supported long distance touring. The heavier the load, the better the ride. The CC has the fender and rack braze-ons as well but is lighter, shorter and has a lower head tube.
The CC is ideal as a commuter IMHO.

:beer:

majorpat
02-25-2011, 06:36 PM
I used to commute occasionally on a Trek 520 22 miles roundtrip. Once the snow lets up I will try to commute three days a week on a Surly Cross Check that I have used for a couple years. The Cross Check is a better commuter, I don't carry much so I don't need rack and panniers. I think the CC is more versatile. Good luck with the long commute,mine is now 36 miles round trip.

Pat

branflakes
02-25-2011, 07:55 PM
i've been looking and looking for a multi-purpose bike as well. obviously there are many factors including price, performance, components, etc. 2 bikes that kept coming up in the search were :

salsa vaya
and
jamis aurora elite

both are sport touring/commuter/cross-hybrid bikes with disc brake options as well.

just thought i'd throw them out there for consideration.

Bud
02-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Although many of you might consider it way too plebeian for consideration, my solution to a similar situation was the Scattante XRL Cross frame and fork from performance. It was very cheap when coupled with one of their deals/sales (F/F for under $200), has plenty of tire clearance, rack and fender mounts, and most of all it is fun to ride. This bike has become my regular commuter and is great for other rides as well. It is very light (Al frame and C fork) and seems to be of decent quality.

For daily use, I have it fitted with a rear rack and an open-top "grocery" pannier and the requisite rear blinky (and front Cygolite dual cross for dim/dark conditions). I built it up with a Salsa moto-ace bars (slightly flared), Ritchey compact crankset, Ultegra 9 shifters and rear derailleur, 11-28 SRAM cassette (I think), and swap between a set of wheels w/cross tires or my daily wheels with Michelin Dynamic 28's.

Overall, it's a very capable bike, great for commuting, trail riding, and the odd lunchtime ride and most of all I'm not (too) afraid to lock it up while running errands. Every weekday I ride it on a combination of suburban streets and roads, gravel trails (with a pretty good climb in there), and city streets, and throw it on the front of the bus between legs. Works great and as I said, fun.

branflakes
02-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Although many of you might consider it way too plebeian for consideration........
Excellent utilization of advanced vocabulary! I almost didn't even have to look it up. ;)

Your solution is great. Only negatives imo would be the ALU frame and Carbon fork. ALU is harsh and carbon on a commuter with any additional weight begs for problems I imagine. BUT, why fix something that isn't broken?

roguedog
02-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Actually, I love touring bikes. I think their versatile as all heck. I've been riding my Atlantis in club rides, grocery gettin, metrics, and now its new persona, my commuter bike.

I can ride it without qualms about road conditions or even if I it a little dirt. Bring it on. This baby can handle it.

However, as a dedicated commuter for a commute of 50-60 miles per day, I'd probably get something a bit zippier with geometry to get me there comfortably but faster and where I can still put on the fenders and a light rack if I needed it.

But hey.. as you all say its the engine and its quite likely your engines are a much more powerful than mine :p And uh, it'd be another exc.. I mean, reason .. to get another bike!

Jus sayin'

Bud
02-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Excellent utilization of advanced vocabulary! I almost didn't even have to look it up. ;)
?

Somewhere past the 20th grade they start handing those words out and expect you to be able to use them in a sentence. ;)

As far as frame material, my steel Fierte is certainly a much better ride. And I'm not going to take the Al Scattante on a century or anything, but it does the daily job no worries. I also use it to pull the trailer with my twin girls. Lots of fun and a good workout to boot.

To the OP: get what works within your budget. And if you're going to use it primarily for commuting and errands, don't make it too nice. Otherwise you'll be afraid to lock it up, scratch the paint, etc. Good luck...

benb
02-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.. at some point soon I will probably go look at both of them in person and take measurements...

I'm really looking forward to our crazy snow melting down...

csm
03-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I looked at the LHT and got a Salsa Fargo instead.