PDA

View Full Version : Lynskey warranty policy

salem
02-24-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm contemplating purchasing a left over 2010 Lynskey frame from an online retailer. In addition to being less expensive than the current model, it has features I prefer. Also, for reference, there is no local dealer near me.

So, in my research, I called Lynskey to confirm the retailer is an authorized dealer and the frame would come with a warranty. I was told "yes," but any warranty service would have to go through the original place of purchase. This isn't ideal for me as Lynskey's facility is actually far closer to me than the retailer, but they insisted warranty must be processed through the place of purchase.

Beyond my situation, this seems an oddly strict policy. Say someone buys a bike from a local dealer but then moves across the country. Their frame cracks, but they can't use a local dealer and have to ship the frame back across the country. Depending on the situation, I could see warranty service having a frame crossing the country 4 times, which seems inefficient and just plain silly. Also, what happens if a shop goes out of business?

I'm not so much trying to kvetch about Lynskey, but I'm curious if others have experience a similar policy with any other frame builders. From my stand point, one of the main reasons for purchasing a "keeper" bike new is the warranty. This policy has me inclined to wait for a used frame and think of the cost savings as a hedge against any potential future repair. A pretty good bet for me, as at 140 pounds, I tend not to break frames.

rugbysecondrow
02-24-2011, 03:44 PM
I view it differently. If you are likely to not break a frame, then get the new one knowing that IF it happens you are covered for the nominal fee of shipping a frame. Shipping on a frame is only abou $50.

If it is what you want and the price is right, go for it. Sounds like fun.

rnhood
02-24-2011, 04:48 PM
I view it differently. If you are likely to not break a frame, then get the new one knowing that IF it happens you are covered for the nominal fee of shipping a frame. Shipping on a frame is only abou $50.

If it is what you want and the price is right, go for it. Sounds like fun.

I agree, as warranty repairs are few and far between on frames. And, lots of people own bikes that would require them to ship it out in the unlikely event it needs repair - warranty or otherwise. Not a big deal. Lynskey would accommodate anyone who purchases a bike only to have their dealer go out of business. Buy what you want, don't compromise.

salem
02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Yes,
I suppose for me it is more of a philosophical issue: do I give my money as a primary sale to a company when I dislike their policy. Similar to that, I don't buy products from companies whose policy is to manufacture them in China. As a consumer, I have that choice. I may still buy the frame, but if I don't, this will be a chunk of the reason.

I was more curious to hear if anyone knows of a similar policy with other builders. I can see a reason for the policy in that in protects other dealers from having to service warranty claims for frames they didn't sell, but I'm surprised to learn that, in light of that, Lynskey is unwilling to interface with the owner directly. I worked in shops for a number of years, and I know of no major manufacturer that wouldn't allow a warranty claim to be processed the non-original retailer, especially if they were unwilling to work with the customer directly.

Of course, this all may be more par for the course with smaller builders. That is more the essence of my query.

Minstrie
02-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Nothing practical to add, but I'm with you on the philosophy. I've bought some rebadged Litespeed frames, e.g., balanced the very low cost against the crimp in my ethics (if the frames break, likely no chance for warranty). As it's worked out, frames were great, none have broken yet, and I've got some nice beater Ti bikes to go along with my customs. Imperfect analogy: I buy NB shoes made in China, grates on me, but can't find comparable shoe (would pay more for made in USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Romania, but same shoe manufactured in those countries doesn't exist). Shoes from China are cheap, and predictably wear out in 2-3yrs. So though it grates on my sensibilities, in that case I buy a product made in China. I guess you've got to balance ethics vs reality vs practicality. Caveat, there are some issues I won't compromise on, will do without rather than compromise, but those are not bicycle or shoe related....

Minstrie.

Yes,
I suppose for me it is more of a philosophical issue: do I give my money as a primary sale to a company when I dislike their policy. Similar to that, I don't buy products from companies whose policy is to manufacture them in China. As a consumer, I have that choice. I may still buy the frame, but if I don't, this will be a chunk of the reason.

I was more curious to hear if anyone knows of a similar policy with other builders. I can see a reason for the policy in that in protects other dealers from having to service warranty claims for frames they didn't sell, but I'm surprised to learn that, in light of that, Lynskey is unwilling to interface with the owner directly. I worked in shops for a number of years, and I know of no major manufacturer that wouldn't allow a warranty claim to be processed the non-original retailer, especially if they were unwilling to work with the customer directly.

Of course, this all may be more par for the course with smaller builders. That is more the essence of my query.

Black Dog
02-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Call them back and ask them what you would have to do if you did move across the country. If they still tell you that you would have to deal with the original dealer then ask to speak to a supervisor. If you get the same story ask why and let them know that you may spend your money elsewhere. Your original invoice should be all you need to get warranty service; from any dealer or from the factory. I know that litespeed works this way as do most builders.

Ken Robb
02-25-2011, 11:54 AM
What does a buyer do for warranty support if the selling shop goes out of business?

salem
02-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Call them back and ask them what you would have to do if you did move across the country. If they still tell you that you would have to deal with the original dealer then ask to speak to a supervisor. If you get the same story ask why and let them know that you may spend your money elsewhere. Your original invoice should be all you need to get warranty service; from any dealer or from the factory. I know that litespeed works this way as do most builders.

If I already owned the frame and was looking for service outside of an undisclosed policy, I would be inclined to make waves like this. As it is, I'm still at the point of deciding if I will be a customer, and I'm not inclined to push the issue--I figure they're entitled to any policy they wish, and knowing it might be an issue, they freely disclosed it. Ultimately, however, if I do decide against the purchase for this reason, I'll probably send them an email to let them know why they lost a sale.

Ramjm_2000
02-26-2011, 08:49 AM
I've got a custom level 3 lynskey, the shop I purchased it from is now out of business, lynskey has always been responsive to my questions and even warrentied my head badge when the paint on it went bad. Im active duty AF and don't expect to be in any place longer than 3 years, I'm not in the least bit worried about the service.
Jr

djg21
02-26-2011, 11:02 AM

This is par for the course for most, if not all, all larger bike manufacturers. Try to have a Specialized, Cannondale,Trek or any other production bicycle warrantied directly by the company, and you will be directed to your retailer, or at least an authorized dealer.

I think this policy is sound. At least some of the "warranty issues" raised by consumers can be resolved at a bike shop, and it often helps to have someone the manufacturer trusts to be knowledgeable assess the "warranty issue," and communicate it to the manufacturer if necessary. This allows the manufacturer to avoid incurring unnecessary service costs that would have to be passed on to the consumer.

I'd also think that you maybe better off with Lynskey, as there is not a huge dealer network, and if there is no dealer near you, Lynskey might be more apt to deal with you directly.

BTW. I've ridden a Lynskey custom Level 4 for the past three years, and it is a great bike. I worked with both a bike shop and Lynskey during the fit process, and Lynskey was terrific to deal with.

salem
02-26-2011, 07:21 PM
This is par for the course for most, if not all, all larger bike manufacturers. Try to have a Specialized, Cannondale,Trek or any other production bicycle warrantied directly by the company, and you will be directed to your retailer, or at least an authorized dealer.

<snip>

I'd also think that you maybe better off with Lynskey, as there is not a huge dealer network, and if there is no dealer near you, Lynskey might be more apt to deal with you directly.

<snip>

1st, this isn't like most major manufacturers, as (according to their policy) I can't go to just any authorized dealer, even if a place I buy is no longer local. They may have accommodated others, but they told me: no flexibility. Also, the majors, unlike Lynskey, don't do direct sales, so that policy makes sense.

2nd, I can't go to Lynskey, because it is the left over 2010 frame that has the features I want. Sure, I could pay upcharges for custom work, but why both when what I want is out there.

All this was stated in the original post.

Like I said, they are entitled to their policy (heck they needn't offer any warranty), but because of it, I've pretty much decided to wait until I can find the frame used, as I see no disadvantage to going that route. The savings (a look on ebay shows complete bikes selling for roughly the price of the frame) will pay for any repairs, should they arise.

Thanks for all the feedback.