PDA

View Full Version : New frame showed up dented, what would you do?

grantman18
02-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Hi Guys,

I just received my much awaited Soma Smoothie from a reputable online retailer. Upon initial inspection however, I noticed a sizeable dent in the top tube. It looks like this might have actually happened before the painting, as it's not scratched or anything.

I called the retailer to get a replacement and they were very cooperative and offered to pay for return shipping and replace the frame. However, they're out of stock and not planning to order more.

They did however, offer to give me cash back if I decided to keep the frame, all I have to do is send pictures. My questions for you guys:

How much (percentage) would you have to get off to keep the frame?
How much would a dent like this impact resale value? Would you buy a frame w/ a dent like this?
Is it safe to ride this frame?

Thanks a lot for the input!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5251/5474036295_e2e8aa9073.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5255/5474037517_1f11e49cbf.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5180/5474633418_fecc118f51.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5054/5474634528_457046f88e.jpg

firerescuefin
02-24-2011, 02:07 PM
I assume that you have lusted after this bike and was counting the days to its arrival. There is no amount of money that is going to keep you from seeing that dent every time you look at the bike (even if you can't see it from the angle your viewing it from).....send it back

bumknees
02-24-2011, 02:08 PM
I'd probably just return it because the "magic" of having a new frame is gone when you get it damaged like that...

cdn_bacon
02-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Send it back. Or at least contact the company and hash out a deal with them or the shipping comp as it is probably their fault.

AngryScientist
02-24-2011, 02:10 PM
i'd return it, any dents in my frames, i want them to come from me.

AngryScientist
02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Send it back. Or at least contact the company and hash out a deal with them or the shipping comp as it is probably their fault.

did you even read the original post?

Pegoready
02-24-2011, 02:13 PM
50% off. Seriously.

Black Dog
02-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Go through the hassle of returning it unless this kind of defect does not bother you. If it does, even just a bit, it will nag at you forever.

texbike
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
The same thing just happened to a frame that I purchased.

We're working through the claims process now with UPS, but I'm not hopeful that they're going to do anything about it. The seller and I are working out a credit back to compensate for the damage if UPS doesn't come through.

If you don't mind the ding, ask for a substantial discount (at least 50%). A retailer can't really do anything with it, except take it back, refund your money, and resell it as a "scratch n dent".

Texbike

grantman18
02-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. Yes, I've lusted after it for a while. Now that it's here it's going to be torture to have to send it back and wait for a replacement from another vendor if I can get one (most show it as out of stock). I guess it depends on what they offer. If it's 50% I might go for it.

I rode an Al bike w/ a dent like this for years, so I'm assuming this isn't a safety issue, but what do you guys think?

texbike
02-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. Yes, I've lusted after it for a while. Now that it's here it's going to be torture to have to send it back and wait for a replacement from another vendor if I can get one (most show it as out of stock). I guess it depends on what they offer. If it's 50% I might go for it.

I rode an Al bike w/ a dent like this for years, so I'm assuming this isn't a safety issue, but what do you guys think?

I'd check the alignment of the frame to make sure everything looks cool, but would ride it without hesitation if there are no signs of spreading damage.

Texbike

avalonracing
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
For me 100% off would work. In other words, I wouldn't pay for a dented frame.

bobswire
02-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Get your monies back and try this place. Fast service and delivery,at least for me on a couple of frames. http://www.bikemania.biz/Soma_Smoothie_Road_Racing_Frame_p/merry_somasmoothie.htm

rugbysecondrow
02-24-2011, 02:47 PM

If you bought a used frame with a dent, that is one thing. The special thing about a new frame is that it is new. Dents will kill that excitment. Send it back and move on.

tuscanyswe
02-24-2011, 02:48 PM

+1

grantman18
02-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Got offered 28% cash back, or 42% store credit of the purchase price (not including shipping). Probably going to send it back, though it pains me to do so. Thanks for all of the input.

biker72
02-24-2011, 02:52 PM
I'd send it back. You'll ALWAYS see that ding in the frame.
With all the good bikes out there for sale I can't ever seeing myself knowingly buying a frame with a ding in it.

grantman18
02-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Get your monies back and try this place. Fast service and delivery,at least for me on a couple of frames. http://www.bikemania.biz/Soma_Smoothie_Road_Racing_Frame_p/merry_somasmoothie.htm

I heard they were really slow. Sounds like you had a good experience though?

Ahneida Ride
02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
return it or 100% off ...

They a looking for an easy way out.

return it ....

Frankwurst
02-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Got offered 28% cash back, or 42% store credit of the purchase price (not including shipping). Probably going to send it back, though it pains me to do so. Thanks for all of the input.

Neither of those figures is high enough IMO. Although it pains you to send it back it will pain you more knowing the dent exists. :beer:

Ralph
02-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Assuming nothing else is wrong with the frame, it wouldn't take much to fill in that dent, and repaint a portion of the top tube, maybe have a section that's a different color. It's an easy fix for a bike painter, or a body shop guy. Especially if 50% off frame or something. Shucks....I've seen scratch and dent guys that can fix that spot in a couple minutes, fill it and match paint it....then rub it out, and you would never know if it was there.

But if the magic is gone, send it back. My opinion.

Dlevy05
02-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Call SOMA, and see if you can deal with them directly. If not, go through the retailer, and wait it out.

Idris Icabod
02-24-2011, 03:44 PM
You can buy directly from Soma if you are having a hard time finding a retailer with stock.

I had a Cannondale MTB that had a dented top tube from a clumsy moving company. They coughed up the full replacement cost of the frame and I rode it for a few years and did sell it on (for not much money as no one wanted a dented frame). It did irk me every time I looked at the dent. I think you are doing the right thing and sending it back.

DRietz
02-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Grant - return it for full compensation.

My Smoothie arrived safe and sound directly from Soma Fabrications, and it only got dented when I shipped it home as a complete bike with UPS. I received a large compensation on a structurally sound frame and am still riding it.

Now, that dent probably isn't structural. If anything, it could be rolled out, but there's no reason for you to have to deal with it.

How much did you pay? I believe Soma retail is ~$500 for that frame, but I'm unsure as I ordered mine through Merry Sales.

As far as resale value goes, it will significantly alter it. I mean, I sold a Tange Prestige Soma mountain bike frame in perfect condition for $150. I'd probably try to get $100 with the size of the dent on mine.

michael white
02-24-2011, 06:53 PM
personally most of my best steel frames are dented and it doesn't matter. sorry if this sounds really snarky, I don't really mean it that way--but on a Soma, to me it wouldn't matter at all, zero, and I personally would see if I could get store credit for useful things like tires and so forth, and not worry about things as inconsequential as a dent on a mass-produced frame made to be abused. But that's just me.

oliver1850
02-24-2011, 10:52 PM

jonnyBgood
02-24-2011, 11:27 PM
i'd return it, any dents in my frames, i want them to come from me.

+1

ultraman6970
02-25-2011, 12:14 AM
After seeing that dent, is not that bd, is easy to fix and the paint is not hard to find either. I would call the manufacturer and ask them if they can tell you the color code of it.

Sand the dent to bare metal, use a plastic based type of putty to repair car dents, cheap stuff and wont fall off ever, plastic (acrylic) doesn't have problems with temperature like darn bondo that is super bad, fix it is like 5 minutes, sand to get it even...

Then primer... u can get tamiya primer for this job, then spray the color using an airbrush done. Even if you want to make it look more unique, I would buy a red color or something (paint car), and add 3 color stripes to the top tube.

Done.

About the credit? I would not do that because they are getting money back anyways and they will get you in the shipping and they are giving you retail price, thing i think is unfair. I would take the money and bye bye with them.

Good luck.

grantman18
02-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Thanks for all the replies. They did end up increasing their offer to 42% cash back, but I ended up sending it back. Because the frame is a beautiful pearl white and the dent is right in the top tube, it's a pretty big eye sore. I'll definitely be happier with a clean frame.

And to top it off, a retailer just got my size in stock, for $50 cheaper so it's a win-win.

rugbysecondrow
02-25-2011, 06:38 AM
If I ordered a sweater and it had a snag or run right in the chest, it wouldn't impact it's utility, but it would look nice either. This is the same for me. Glad you made the decision you did.

victoryfactory
02-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Assuming nothing else is wrong with the frame, it wouldn't take much to fill in that dent, and repaint a portion of the top tube, maybe have a section that's a different color. It's an easy fix for a bike painter, or a body shop guy. Especially if 50% off frame or something. Shucks....I've seen scratch and dent guys that can fix that spot in a couple minutes, fill it and match paint it....then rub it out, and you would never know if it was there.

But if the magic is gone, send it back. My opinion.

I agree with Ralph. Every new car dealer has a guy who can work magic on
painted metal. Some of them are itinerant van based guys who you can find
at the back lot of dealers fixing used cars, bumpers, unloading nicks and metal work.
These guys have everything on board to get the job done.

IMO if the deal is 50% and the bike is going to be a keeper for you, do it.
If the bike is just temporary jewelry for you that you plan to turn over, then don't.
After all you can ride it right from the get go without worrying about that
first nick. You already got it!

VF

djg
02-25-2011, 07:32 AM
I'd send it back -- it was always your call, obviously, but I would have had the same inclination. Mass produced frame that obviously took a pretty good ding at some point -- if nobody spotted that before it got boxed up I'd wonder if they checked the alignment or anything else.

Several folks are confident that this is a trivial repair. That might be right, but some of these things are easier with a big sheet on the side of a car than they are on a round, thin-walled tube. And if the paint gets damaged in the process . . . it's not as easy as you might think to get a match with a quick touch-up.

texbike
02-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks for all the replies. They did end up increasing their offer to 42% cash back, but I ended up sending it back. Because the frame is a beautiful pearl white and the dent is right in the top tube, it's a pretty big eye sore. I'll definitely be happier with a clean frame.

And to top it off, a retailer just got my size in stock, for $50 cheaper so it's a win-win.

Cool. I'm glad that it worked out for you!

Texbike

Ramjm_2000
02-25-2011, 08:02 AM
+1. Glad to hear everything worked out.

thwart
02-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Good to hear it worked out so well.

Lifelover
02-25-2011, 08:27 AM
You should have considsered offering it for sale here for what you had into after the 40% off.

Could have been a good deal for someone!