PDA

View Full Version : Road Salt

zap
02-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Anyone know if road salt (mixture?) that is commonly spread on roads is toxic or otherwise bad for your health. I know it's not your normal table salt that is spread but I can't remember the additional chemicals. As the roads dry out, salty dust gets kicked up and is inhaled or otherwise digested. As I'm posting this, I still have that salty taste in my mouth so I guess I don't need to add salt to my dinner!

Kevan
02-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Just love the first slug on the ol' water bottle, tasting all the salt that has collected on Janet's nipple.

Did I say that?! I'm shocked!

Kevin
02-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Kevan,

I did not know that MTV was producing your material. By the way I did not notice much salt.

Kevin

dirtdigger88
02-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Many times people mix calcium cloride in with the salt. That is the blue tint you see in salt piles. If you were using pellets of calcium cloride, yes it is harmful. It burns your lungs and pulls all of the moisture out of your skin. This would be if you were spreading bags of it for an extended period of time. The stuff on the side of the road, don't worry. It is over 99% salt, bad for a steel frame, but not your body. My company does snow removal, so I am familar with these chemicals. The calcium works at a lower temp than the salt, it is good down to something like 7-10 degrees F vs salt alone that is only good to about 15-18 degrees. Give or take. The ice melt products normally sold to "home owners" is potassium chloride, it works muck the same as the calcium, but not nearly as harmful. The calcium chloride can ruin leather boots in less than a couple of hours if you are not careful.

Kevan
02-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Think of it as the perfect accent to a lemon-lime Gaterade Margarita.

zap
02-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks dirtdigger88.

By now I'm getting tired of salt covered water bottles, etc. No salt ring margaritas for me any time soon.

This is the season for Ti bikes :banana: Now about the chain:(