PDA

View Full Version : front brake ?

Fixed
02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
on my new fixed gear project what i would be better suntour superbe or d.a. 7400 brake caliber ? i have both now
cheers

rustychisel
02-23-2011, 04:43 PM
oooh, nice choices. I have a soft spot for both groupsets, but use a Gipiemme Crono (sidepull) on one of my fixed, which gives more than enough stopping power. Choose either, get the best pads. It's all about the pads and the setup.

bike22
02-23-2011, 05:12 PM
whichever one is dual pivot.

Fixed
02-23-2011, 05:33 PM
now this is going for a century ride setup . so brake leavers should i do pauls like i have my bike now ( i like )or should i do nuovo record on one side and dura ace on the other side( both are non aero brake leavers ) i only have one of each . last brake question in hilly long rides on a fixed gear do you guys like a rear brake ? thanks i am small city kind of ride but i may be branching out if i keep improving strength wise
cheers and thanks

AngryScientist
02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
personally, i have one of my fixed gear bikes set up roadie style, including aero levers with hoods (the campy style tektros), front and rear brakes. i ride that bike a lot, and when i'm on it for a good period of time, i appreciate having the hoods as an additional hand position.

for a century longer ride, that's what i'd do, the nice tektro levers are <$40 and very similar in feel to campy 10-sp levers. one brake on the front should be more than sufficient, but if you run with both levers, its no big deal to throw the rear on.

get good brake pads, us the brake often, save your knees.

Fixed
02-23-2011, 05:56 PM
thanks a.s. nice info
cheers

AngryScientist
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
i just posted this in another thread, but this is one of my fixed set-ups, with a few tweeks, clipless pedals for longer rides, for one...

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/Picture084.jpg

Fixed
02-23-2011, 06:35 PM
very nice
class act
thanks for posting
cheers
36 spokes ?

AngryScientist
02-23-2011, 06:54 PM
very nice
class act
thanks for posting
cheers
36 spokes ?

rustychisel
02-23-2011, 07:10 PM
agree with two levers & two brakes for hilly rides. Yes, the Tektro levers are nice.

bicycletricycle
02-23-2011, 09:22 PM
single pivot DA brakes are the bet brakes ever, IMHO

2 brakes on a fixed is excessive. IMHO

jonnyBgood
02-23-2011, 09:29 PM
i just posted this in another thread, but this is one of my fixed set-ups, with a few tweeks, clipless pedals for longer rides, for one...

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af153/aero_dynamic8/Picture084.jpg

Why do you have a chainstay protector on that thing? ;)

TimmyB
02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
2 brakes on a fixed is excessive. IMHO
I disagree. Especially if you're you're putting 2 levers on anyways, why not hook them both up to brakes? Besides, skidding is bad for the knees.

bicycletricycle
02-23-2011, 10:36 PM
skidding is bad for the knees and it is also bad for the tires, however, i like keeping my fixed gear bikes as simple as possible. If i started going down the health/safety avenue when considering my fixed gear build i would end up with a geared bike with an adjustable stem and a bell.

for me riding a fixed is about doing the most with the least

TimmyB
02-23-2011, 11:17 PM
most with the least you say...

Have you given any thought to:
http://www.bikeforest.com/large_wheel_unicycle.jpg

Just kidding :beer:.

From my own person experience: As someone who is young, fit and has experience riding fixed gears in the hills / doing 100 miles days, I would highly suggest using two brakes / levers. Putting brakes on solved a lot of the knee problems I was having. Although, spinning out on descents and climbing with 80gi up hills still took it's tole. All my bikes have gears now. I miss riding fixed gear some times... one of these days I'm going to break down and get another one. It's a shame the closest track is such a pain to get to (San Jose).

Anywho, different stokes for different blokes I suppose.

bike22
02-23-2011, 11:22 PM
single pivot DA brakes are the bet brakes ever, IMHO
You crazy.

zennmotion
02-26-2011, 05:27 PM
skidding is bad for the knees and it is also bad for the tires, however, i like keeping my fixed gear bikes as simple as possible. If i started going down the health/safety avenue when considering my fixed gear build i would end up with a geared bike with an adjustable stem and a bell.

for me riding a fixed is about doing the most with the least

Chaque'un son gout, but I like drop bars, a balanced look, resting on the hoods, better braking modulation, the ability to ride longs days of hills without my hands cramping, and the ability to re-use the many sweet old school 5/6 speed race wheels in my basement without fear (that work just fine with the old reliable QR skewers). And since it's a '73 vintage racing frame I'm able to fit fenders with 28c tires so I'm covered when the road is wet or turns to dirt, or both. And I'm also covered on multiuse paths that I commute on by the large loud rickshaw bell that I picked up in India- that's for the health and safety of my fellow travellers, not me, people respond much better and more predictably than shouting on yer left. Like I said, to each her own, but riding fixed for me is not some vague selective minimalist philosophy, it's just a bike with one gear that feels good to ride smelling the flowers and providing an alternative experience to my other geared bikes, and keeps my now-vintage old race bike on the road and that feels good too. On the road, going long, with hills it's better with 2 brakes (and a bell!) If you have one brake, then you have another gathering dust in a box somewhere, might as well use it IMO.

For the OP- use both calipers, it will work and look great, just get some matching levers- some Tektros or something cheap off Ebay, they all work about the same, some hands like some shapes better than others.

Oh yeah, and my circa 1983 single pivot DA calipers are still in service- on a road race bike with othewise modern components. I can't tell much diff with my other bikes with dual-pivots, not enough to "upgrade" when they still work fine and still look like polished jewelry. Call me retro or grouchy or whatever, but does anyone else catch themselves overthinking this stuff? Maybe at the expense of riding?

Fixed
02-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Chaque'un son gout, but I like drop bars, a balanced look, resting on the hoods, better braking modulation, the ability to ride longs days of hills without my hands cramping, and the ability to re-use the many sweet old school 5/6 speed race wheels in my basement without fear (that work just fine with the old reliable QR skewers). And since it's a '73 vintage racing frame I'm able to fit fenders with 28c tires so I'm covered when the road is wet or turns to dirt, or both. And I'm also covered on multiuse paths that I commute on by the large loud rickshaw bell that I picked up in India- that's for the health and safety of my fellow travellers, not me, people respond much better and more predictably than shouting on yer left. Like I said, to each her own, but riding fixed for me is not some vague selective minimalist philosophy, it's just a bike with one gear that feels good to ride smelling the flowers and providing an alternative experience to my other geared bikes, and keeps my now-vintage old race bike on the road and that feels good too. On the road, going long, with hills it's better with 2 brakes (and a bell!) If you have one brake, then you have another gathering dust in a box somewhere, might as well use it IMO.

For the OP- use both calipers, it will work and look great, just get some matching levers- some Tektros or something cheap off Ebay, they all work about the same, some hands like some shapes better than others.

Oh yeah, and my circa 1983 single pivot DA calipers are still in service- on a road race bike with othewise modern components. I can't tell much diff with my other bikes with dual-pivots, not enough to "upgrade" when they still work fine and still look like polished jewelry. Call me retro or grouchy or whatever, but does anyone else catch themselves overthinking this stuff? Maybe at the expense of riding?

nice write more post
i like what you had to say
cheers