PDA

View Full Version : Seat Post Stuck in a Concours Seat Tube

cous
05-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Hey Guys:

After some time, I attempted to remove a steel Thomsen seat post from my Concours Titanium seat tube.

It is stuck.

Any suggestions on how to handle this problem?

Thanks,

Cous

ada@prorider.or
05-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Hey Guys:

After some time, I attempted to remove a steel Thomsen seat post from my Concours Titanium seat tube.

It is stuck.

Any suggestions on how to handle this problem?

Thanks,

Cous

try to lower the surface tension between titan and steel
by a liguid or cool the steel seat post tube

Dekonick
05-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Try a search on this topic - I believe its been answered several times. One suggestion I remember (IF nothing else will make it budge) is to cut the seat post so you can then cut the inside on 2 sides and remove the post in pieces (be careful not to cut the Ti tube...)

Its always risky to use Ti with another metal if you dont use anti sieze. Someone suggested removing such parts (ie post...) every week or so just to keep parts from siezing.

Good luck!

Tony Edwards
05-24-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't think Thomson makes any steel posts.

That said, here is your answer:

Take off your saddle and the upper half of the clamp.

You may want to wrap the post in a t-shirt or rag to protect it.

Turn the bike upside-down and clamp the lower half of the post clamp securely in a bench vise - the bigger and more massive the better. If you don't have one, your bike shop will.

Turn the entire bike sideways until the post breaks free.

This has freed every frozen post I've ever seen, including those on rusty old steel bikes. Also, it doesn't even destroy the post, unless you are using an ancient two-piece steel post (which would mean you were truly insane, considering your sweet bike!).

Peter
05-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Consider that the post might be destroyed as a result of removing it. Once you accept this as a real possibility, you can get to work.

First, try wrapping the seatpost in ice cubes for 30 minutes. Cold may break the bond. I wouldn't try dry ice; it might make the seatpost shatter, if you're concerned about saving it.

Is your seatpost sealed at the top, so if liquid was poured in from the BB, it wouldn't leak out? If yes, then what you do is remove the crank and BB, and pour a good cup or so of Liquid Wrench down (up) the seat tube. Let it settle for an hour or so. With the frame clamped on the downtube by the BB, rap the seatpost with a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer for 5 minutes. Then try to twist it out. Repeat. If it doesn't work after an hour, let it sit overnight. Repeat. Sometimes it takes a couple days for this to work, but it will.

Caution: If you leave your seat on the post for twisting leverage, you may break the rails. Either use a cheap seat with steel rails or crimp the post and use a pipe wrench.

Ammonia is supposed to be very effective; find it at any good hardware store.
I've had excellent success with believe it or not-Coca Cola.

Then use anti-seize compound when you install an aluminum post in a titanium frame.

Tony Edwards
05-24-2005, 10:50 PM
No disrespect meant, but I've seen people attempt most of the methods Peter has described to no avail. My way is better, and won't ruin the post. I got it from a wise old mechanic when I worked in a bike shop, years ago, and it's never let me down.

toaster
05-25-2005, 12:23 AM
I'm sure the Thompson is aluminum.

The following is the best way because I've tried all the heat, cold, solvent, and twist theories.

Cut the seatpost about a half inch above the frame's seat tube. Get a new hacksaw blade and put it in a tool that is specially made to hold the blade as though it were a knife. Now carefully work at making a perfect vertical cut through the seat post in two places. The gaps created by the cuts will allow you to squeeze the seatpost with a pair of pliers and it will collapse inside the frame allowing for removal.

A labor of love, this procedure, but it works. Patience is required!

Too Tall
05-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Do NOT clamp the post in a vise and twist the frame. You may damage the seattube.

Ammonia and patience will likely fix this. Been there done it! Squirt ammonia around the seat cluster and let it soak in. Wrap rags around the post and keep it wet. Every time you walk by the bike give the post a rap with a soft hammer. Give it time, a few days if needed. It'll come out.

Marron
05-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Just out of curiosity; is the seatpost directly contacting the ti seat tube or is there an aluminum insert bonded to the ti tube? That's frequently the case for ti frames.

Ahneida Ride
05-25-2005, 10:28 AM
TT is correct.

Use Ammonia liberaly and often. It make take numerous applications
over several days, but it will come out !!!!! Be patient.

This works on all Alum post. It disolves the Alum oxide deposits.
I bet that Thompson is Alum and not steel.

This has been discused several time on the forum and Ammonia has proven
100% effective.