PDA

View Full Version : bike shops in NYC/Brooklyn

flydhest
05-24-2005, 04:57 PM
I have a buddy who works at the branch office in Manhattan. He's been getting into cycling more and more. He's currently on a mountain bike with slicks and rides in Prospect Park, but went out on a couple longer rides north of the City (I think) and now wants to get more serious. He only wants to drop about $1.5K (only?? hmm, my world view is perhaps skewed) and would like a new bike instead of buying used. The new toy syndrome is something most can relate to, even if one can get a better "deal" buying used. So, who of you in/near the City can recommend a good LBS for me to send him to and anybody who wants to can chime in on recommendations.

Thanks.

ergott
05-24-2005, 05:02 PM
www.racycles.com

Eric

Kevan
05-24-2005, 05:11 PM
buying outside the city to reduce the sales tax hit. Okay.. who bothers with that???

He can try

http://www.racycles.com/

They say they're the biggest...

CalfeeFly
05-24-2005, 05:17 PM
I'd recommend you go with him. Except for small shops or ones where the owner is very picky who works there your experience too often is tied to the sales person much like a car. The NYC shops I have been in seem to have a variety of people working in them. I'd stop when on long runs and often just listen. I heard great advice, so-so and straight BS. As you know $1,500 can get you some very good equipment if he shops smart. He'll need your help. With luck you might even find an 04 bike they can deal more on. Just remember bikes don't have the kind of mark-up other retail items do. That is why it is often a good idea to deal on other things he'll need as well such as pedals. They can do more with a package since some items have a little more margin.

Have fun helping him. :bike:

flydhest
05-24-2005, 05:31 PM
CalfeeFly,

Trust me, I would like nothing better than to be his personal shopper and go shopping with him. Alas, I live in Washington, D.C. and he's in the Big Apple.

That said, I think your point is dead-on. I've sent him a couple of e-mails with thoughts about bikes and to warn him that the $1500 range has a huge range of quality in it and is the breeding ground of hype and b.s.

I also pointed him to this thread, so keep the ideas coming.

CalfeeFly
05-24-2005, 05:32 PM
I took Kevan's advice (I must be desparate) and looked up the R & A web site. Under steals and deals your buddy can get a nice bike in his price range. There are a ton to click on and look. Frames and complete bikes are included. :beer:

christian
05-24-2005, 05:48 PM
I'd be extremely wary of sending a new cyclist to R&A.

The best source for NYC bike shop information and reviews is the search function on the NYCC message board (www.nycc.org).

The only shops in NYC I would go to are 1) Master Bike, run by Imbert Jimenez who used to be the master tech at Toga and 2) BikeWorks on the LES. Bicycle Habitat is supposed to be good too, though I've never been, so can't give a first-person account.

But typically I use Bicycle Workshop in Tenafly NJ. I live in Manhattan.

- Christian

ergott
05-24-2005, 05:58 PM
I'd be extremely wary of sending a new cyclist to R&A.

- Christian

Why do you say that?

Serotta PETE
05-24-2005, 06:29 PM
CalfeeFly,

Trust me, I would like nothing better than to be his personal shopper and go shopping with him. Alas, I live in Washington, D.C. and he's in the Big Apple.

That said, I think your point is dead-on. I've sent him a couple of e-mails with thoughts about bikes and to warn him that the $1500 range has a huge range of quality in it and is the breeding ground of hype and b.s.

I also pointed him to this thread, so keep the ideas coming.

Have him call Mike or Dean at CYCLESPORT 201-391-5269. Have him say that Pete recommended him. He can call and discuss and then go out and look, discuss, buy. They will take very good care of him and they will spend the time to make sure he is happy with selection,

I promise you a bottle of red (unless SANDY hides it on us) if he does not like them.

PETE

CalfeeFly
05-24-2005, 06:54 PM
I agree with you Christian. That is one of the reasons that I told him to go along with his friend. I made one visit there and I think it is best if you really know your stuff. At the time he was showing me an older Japanese Kestrel and not the USA made ones of the time. Kestrel was purchased...production moved to Japan...quality suffered...original folks bought back...production moved back...now all different of course. The thing is selling me one made in Japan was not a good thing.

That said if you look at what he has under steals and deals there are some good buys in past year's models. Since his friend is short on money with the proper guidance he could get more bang for his buck.

Bicycle Habitat is a good shop. I had a wheel rebuilt there. It is or was the home of many a messenger which is always a good sign. :)

I'd say the main thing is to go with him.

PaulE
05-24-2005, 07:14 PM
If your buddy is riding north of the city, chances are he is coming over the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey and heading north on Rt. 9W. If so, that would put him within 10 miles of Cyclesport. Pete is so right about Cyclesport, I can't say enough good things about them. Mike and Dean will definitely treat your buddy right.

christian
05-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Why do you say that?

I think R&A is a good shop, and has a great selection. I've shopped happily there.

However, the experience of less "seasoned" riders in our club with seems to indicate pretty uniformly that they've gotten less hand-holding and advice there than at the other shops I recommend in the City.

- Christian

csb
05-24-2005, 07:44 PM
r+a has inventory. lots of price range possibilities.
bring a stick with a mirror on it, otherwise your neck is
going to get sore looking up at all the hanging jewelry.

you could stand at the counter ALL day and not get noticed.
but when the phone rings they RUN to it like its lance selling
his used shorts.

john @ conrads can + will get non-jewelry like stuff. they're
a big seven dealer but also carry specialized _ so just point to
the item in the catalogue... problem being there will be no test
riding!

bicycle habitat on lafayette has been voted best bike shop in
the city many times. its not large. it has a very nice green attitude.
built me wheels _ 7spd _ when NO one else would even talk to me.

toga is kinda in the r+a camp _ lots of selection. original owner that
made the place its name is long gone. probably more helpful than
r+a. but not with the older stock buys of r+a.

Kevan
05-25-2005, 07:11 AM
for getting a good price. If you want quality service and are willing to pay more or possible receive less in terms of a bike then Conrad's would be a great option. It's a classic roadie shop, but it ain't one for the people counting pennies and wanting bang for their buck. There you get quality service, fitting and steeds.

Never been to R&A, likely never will, but seen their ads in rags and they do have a very wide selection of trikes. Oh... and they're in Brooklyn.

CalfeeFly
05-25-2005, 07:14 AM
Oh... and they're in Brooklyn.

So what is it Kevan...your Westchester County "Blueblood" won't venture to Brooklyn? :) :banana: :rolleyes: :cool: :p

Kevan
05-25-2005, 07:18 AM
Why I was just there last Saturday.

Me? I love all of NYC.

But the riding is better up near me than doing loops around Prospect Park!

victoryfactory
05-25-2005, 07:50 AM
I have live and cycled in NYC for 30+ years and IMO anyone who goes into
a bike shop with 1500. and doesn't know exactly what he wants as far as
fit, components and value will get jobbed*

* By jobbed I mean the salesman will sell you whatever he wants to move
and will tell you that it is the perfect bike for you. You may be lucky, and
it might work out but remember this: the bike shop will sell you what they
want to sell you based on what they have in stock and that even extends
to SIZE!
My advice:
Talk with your cycling buddys get some ideas, shop around on line to see
the kind of frame and component mix that goes for 1500. (Ultegra level)
Then, go to the biggest shop with a big selection and you stand a chance
of not being taken advantage of by the LBS.
Now, when it comes to service, that is a real crapshoot, buy a book and a few tools,
or you will end up having teenagers who don't know what they
are doing rub the decals off you frame with their workstands in the back
room while the manager sells a helmet to another customer.
(Maybe there are exeptions to this rant, like Conrad's near the UN in manhattan)

VF, I've seen too much in local LBS's to trust any of them with my bike

victoryfactory
05-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Flydhest;

As VF's nurse I must apologize for letting him get to the computer before
he had his morning decaf.

I'm sure he didn't mean to be so negative, I think he would agree if he
could talk right now, but he had to be sedated to prevent his blood
pressure from going wild.

VF's nurse

PS: just before he went under he did mumble something like: Just tell
Flydhest to ask his friend to check out any LBS deal with him or other
bike experts before he buys.

flydhest
05-25-2005, 08:51 AM
yep, I told him to check with me before buying. I also highlighted that his price range is a potential landmine area. Putting the BS in LBS, I reckon.

I told him that he should think of things first as choosing a bike shop before choosing a bike. A good LBS is worth a premium, a bad one isn't worth a huge discount.

I'll see if he can get down to Park Ridge. I'm thinking he trained it up to his ride north of the City, not car.

Any other suggestions???

csb
05-25-2005, 08:56 AM
i'm up for guiding a tour to park ridge.
my route goes by the GW all the time.
just ask.

keno
05-25-2005, 09:59 AM
when? This weekend and next week are out. You know, trip to Tuscany and all that. Let's wait 'til my Ottrott is ready.

keno

CalfeeFly
05-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Fly,

I'd go with him to R & A but not the first stop. Victory gave you & your friend outstanding advice. He left out that the salesman will also sell him the bike he'll get the biggest commission on. Retail has what is usually called a spiff which is extra money to get rid of the dog that won't sell. All these warnings go for anything retail even coffins as I learned once. Fortunately I've been in sales and knew what they were doing.

I'd say keep R & A on the list because they seemed to have some really good deals on "leftovers" in terms of model year. However go several places. There is one in Westchester that Kevan and crowd always talks about. They are supposed to be good for sizing. Come to Pittsburgh and I'll hook you up with an honest owner.

Repairs I'd follow Fly again for some repairs at least. Headsets...hubs...I don't know. It seemed Bicycle Habitat was on the up and up when I was there. They did a good job on my wheel at a fair price.

Good luck. :bike:

crf
05-25-2005, 11:48 AM
I recommed Sid's Bike Shop in Manhattan (34th Street, East Side):

http://sidsbikes.com/site/intro.cfm

Alan is the owner and he's a no-nonsense kind of guy. Andy is one of the salesmen there and he was very generous with his time and expertise as well (plus he used to work for Serotta). I bought a LeMond Zurich there last year.

Charles

csb
05-25-2005, 12:05 PM
duh! i forgot sids _ good shop. way east, a good
healthy walk south of conrads.

all sorts of stuff + indie. fab.

dude, a forumite used to work there. i use the word
work loosely.

crf
05-25-2005, 12:28 PM
I'd be interested to know which forumite.

Paul Levine tipped me off to Sid's, by the way.

christian
05-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Andy is one of the salesmen there and he was very generous with his time and expertise as well (plus he used to work for Serotta).

Andy's a very good guy. He'll definitely treat people right.

-Christian

csb
05-25-2005, 12:45 PM
forumite = dude

dude = andy

andy = moved to philly area, now works is fancier-pants-bike-shop

csb
05-25-2005, 12:52 PM
dude had a beard

Climb01742
05-25-2005, 12:58 PM
toga is kinda in the r+a camp _ lots of selection. original owner that
made the place its name is long gone.

back in the early 80s i bought my first real road bike (as an adult, vs as a kid) at toga from lennie, the original owner. he was great. spent an insane amount of time answering my endless stupid dorky questions.