PDA

View Full Version : Steel -- How to Prevent Rust

soul survivor
02-21-2011, 06:41 PM
OK gang, let's here about the proper maintenance for a steel bike. I keep reading about the annual treatment with (can't remember what it's called), but there's got to be more.

Soul Survivor

Fixed
02-21-2011, 06:44 PM
j.p.w. frame saver
http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222339240/351/JP-Weigles-Frame-Saver-Aerosol.html
cheers

AngryScientist
02-21-2011, 09:12 PM
there is not much to it - framesaver or other thick corrosion inhibitor sprayed inside the frame, and keeping your eye on the paint on the outside. if you get chips, use real automotive grade touch up paint to cover them before they rust.

A1CKot
02-22-2011, 04:46 AM
j.p.w. frame saver
http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222339240/351/JP-Weigles-Frame-Saver-Aerosol.html
cheers

I've had it on back order with them for quite sometime. Great site though.

DRZRM
02-22-2011, 10:01 AM
I took William's advice and ordered some fluidfilm plus the wand that lets you get it into tubes. Smells better than framesaver, and so far seems to work well.

See response #28 in this thread.

Framesaver thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=84524&highlight=framesaver)

bumknees
02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
I've also used Framesaver, but my LBS also recommends Boeshield. However, I hear that you need to reapply this more often (but I have no personal experience)

cnighbor1
02-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Rust need to think about outside of frame also.
Sweat has salts in it. Salts holds mositure. that mositure attacks the paint with rust the next step. So wipe down frame after riding. use water left in bottle and spray over frame wipping with a clen cloth. air dry is fine if not in a small enclosed area

AngryScientist
02-23-2011, 01:21 PM
its also not a bad idea to throw an occasional coat of wax over a painted frame. pedro's bike lust, or any other automotive liquid "quick wax" sprayed on a rag and wiping the bike down works wonders, and really makes the bike look great.

Peter P.
02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Treat the inside of the tubes with whatever: Boeshield, Framesaver, linseed oil. I'm guessing one application is enough as these are not water soluble.

Sweat on the outside is what's destroyed every frame I've owned, and I'm willing to be it could have been avoided if I adhered to ONE rule:

After sweaty rides, wipe the frame down with a wet rag.

Rust has appeared on my frames wherever sweat collected. I usually just hung my bikes up after a ride. On my bikes that saw little sweat such as my mountain bike, rust was virtually non-existent.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2727/4326922776_12d0aedecf.jpg

TMB
02-23-2011, 07:00 PM
I took delivery of a frame in 1985, it was steel.

I lived in Vancouver at the time. I rode that bike for over 20 years though Vancouver which means it was wet, a lot.

The only thing in ever did for that bike was wipe it down after a trainer session.

If I rode it in the rain and it got wet, tough, the water could drain through the BB hole.

In 2008 I had the bike chopped and painted. Sam Whittingham who did the work told me the tubes looked brand new inside.

I think the "rust issue" is way over blown.

WayneJ
02-23-2011, 07:23 PM
I took delivery of a frame in 1985, it was steel.

I think the "rust issue" is way over blown.

Steel tubes have gotten thinner since 1985, so a little rust goes far in reducing the strength of the frame. Framesaver - cheap insurance requiring little effort, IMO.

bumknees
02-24-2011, 08:02 AM
I've seen ads for Zerust bicycle covers in various bike mags. Has anyone tried them?

I've never had many rust-issues on my steel bikes, but then again, I only ride those in fair weather and I'm probably have borderline OCD when it comes to cleaning those bikes up after rides.

rustychain
02-24-2011, 12:35 PM
953. ;)

Fixed
02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
i live in fl. and it is wet and damp a lot no issues with rust here for me. i wipe my bike off after riding, the worst thing for your steel bike is sweat it will eat a bike up fast if left on it
cheers imho

soul survivor
02-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions -- keep it clean of sweat, baby

Blue Jays
02-24-2011, 04:14 PM
All my bikes get a gentle cleaning after each use, regardless of frame material.
This is coupled with an annual teardown, relube, and reassembly. Works like a charm.
Steel frames do get some FrameSaver sprayed inside.

Rada
02-24-2011, 05:33 PM
I bought an old steel frame bike off ebay a couple of years ago that in the pics looked like it had been kept outside with all the components rusted. I was interested in the frame and did not care about the components and for what I ended up paying the risk was not big. When I got the bike and tore it down, I was very happy to find very little surface rust in a couple of spots inside that cleaned right up. Hit it with FrameSaver just to be careful. I think the whole rust worry with steel is overblown as long as you store your bike out of the elements and take care to clean it off once in a while. Just like preventative maintenance, take care of your bike and it will take care of you.

Kevan
02-24-2011, 09:54 PM
this can be the monster to a steel frame. Treating the insides with a rust inhibitor is wise, but keeping the bike in a dry, unheated space so that it is already acclimated to the outdoor climate avoids the dreaded internal sweats.