PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

soul survivor
02-20-2011, 09:17 PM
OK, guys and gals, need to buy 2 new helmets. Opinions, please!

Soul Survivor

Bud
02-20-2011, 09:21 PM
I like Giro, but it really comes down to your own fit (in addition to venting, weight, color, etc). But if it doesn't fit you well, don't buy it no matter how many cool features it has. My commuter helmet is a Giro Eclipse (I think) and my nicer helmet is an Atmos.

What fits you well? And why 2?

soul survivor
02-20-2011, 09:33 PM
One for moi, one for my son.

jonnyBgood
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
I would agree with Bud in it really comes down to how the helmet fits you.

I have worn different Giro and Specialized helmets over the years and currently I am wearing a Specialized S-Works road helmet.

I would tell you to go to your local shop with your son and try on a few different helmets in different price ranges and see what fits you best.

rice rocket
02-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Agreed, helmets are like saddles. You gotta try 'em.

I'm a "Bell" head (wide oval). Giros are for round headed folk. There's a lot of possibilities too, some guy did "head analysis" for motorcycle helmets, and came up w/ 5 categories. Not sure how the other brands generally fall in these categories.

http://i.imgur.com/adV7s.png

azrider
02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
check out Spiuk and KASK. Both make great helmets and aren't really all that well known. I've worn Specialized, Giro, and Bell but lids mentioned above are only ones i have left hanging in my laundry room.

The thing I like the most about my KASK is how low profile it is and how it sits on my head. Since I was born with a Space Helmet for a head to begin with, most other helmets seemed to exacerbate the issue-but the KASK sits really low and actually looks......normal

Happy hunting.

KeithS
02-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Wearing a Lazer Genesis now. Really like it, fits my big round melon. Have worn Giro and Specialized S Works, because when I bought them they fit me the the best.

When I buy next time, I will try a Lazer first, but also a Giro and whatever else they suggest at the shop.

I do like the retention system.

scrub
02-20-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm really enjoying my Specialized Echelon, much cheaper than my Giro MTB helmet but you'd never know when it is on your head.

fourflys
02-20-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm a big fan of the Lazar helmets with the Rollsys... it tightens around your whole held and not just squishes your forehead into the front of the helmet... I have the O2 and really like it...

biker72
02-21-2011, 06:19 AM
You need to try some on. I've had good luck with Giro and Bell.

Fixed
02-21-2011, 06:28 AM
bell for my fat head
cheers

znfdl
02-21-2011, 06:34 AM
I bought one of the new Specialized S-Works helemets to replace my old Giro. It was a nice upgrade, vents well, light and the adjusting strap is quite nice.

veloduffer
02-21-2011, 07:08 AM
My mellon fits well with Giro helmets (medium Pneumo and now Atmos). The medium just fits my head, while a large makes me feel like a SNL cone head.

I also picked up a Trek Circuit helmet for the winter, as it had a bit more room to fit a cotton or wool cap without looking big. They're $99 which is reasonable and works as well as my Giro. Trek Circuit (http://www.bontrager.com/model/09101)

oldpotatoe
02-21-2011, 07:31 AM
OK, guys and gals, need to buy 2 new helmets. Opinions, please!

Soul Survivor

The one that fits. All are kinda cumbersome, even the 'heavy' ones are light. Even the cool ones, in terms of temp aren't very cool. Giro, Bell.

Not reason to spend an extra $150 for the top of the line, unless you are looking for coffee shop points.

AngryScientist
02-21-2011, 07:40 AM
as everyone mentioned, they all work the same, as i believe there is a standard for crash protection they all must meet, so safety is a moot point.

get one that is comfortable.

one thing that is a nice feature to look for is removable and readily available replacement inner sweat pads. you should be able to pull them out and hand wash, or just buy new ones, as they get pretty grimy with sweat.

Nooch
02-21-2011, 07:52 AM
i'll say my goto is the catlike, the ventilation is stellar and i find it very comfortable on my dome..

doesn't hurt that it looks pretty cool (and different than what most people are riding with)

godfrey1112000
02-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Catlike and Giro Inos

Charles M
02-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Now that it's a "name as many helmets thread", listen to Old P and try on a few.

Lazer make the only retention system that doesn't simply push your head into the front of the helmet... It has the most conforming fit system. But that doesn't mean there are not helmets you would like more...

But there are loads of helmets that will work.

dekindy
02-21-2011, 08:23 AM
I purchased a Bell Sweep several years ago, primarily for it's ventilation. When the Giro Ionos was introduced it claimed that the ventilation kept you cooler than not wearing a helmet. Whether that claim is correct I don't know. However the Ionos is noticeably cooler than the Sweep. This is important to me so even though I did not need a new helmet, I purchased one anyway. The Sweep also never fit me quite right. The medium was too small and the large was too big. This was very puzzling but true. The Ionos fits me like a glove. I can always wear the Sweep during the Winter or on not so hot days.

dsb
02-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Just to make it more complicated .... Don't assume that just because brand x model y fits good that model z will fit the same... I had a bell volt that fit better than anything in recent memory, I crashed it into oblivion and bought an array to replace it thinking that it would fit the same... Wrong... Something about the horn stubs on my skull being misplaced or something, but the array is very uncomfortable for me ... YMMV ...

Nil Else
02-21-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm a "Bell" head (wide oval). Giros are for round headed folk.

I'm a Giro head (round all the way around and ginormous so only Atmo large fits). I have a couple of Bells (Sweep-R and Ghisallo) that fits my big head fine but I don't wear them because I look like a penguin from the side with the overhang in the front that looks like penguin beak. :crap:

sand fungus
02-21-2011, 10:28 AM
I tried the Bell and the Giro and my current helmet of choice is the LAS. I like the ventilation screen to keep the bugs out and the retention system works well. I have only been riding it for a month so we will see how well it vents in the summer. That and Bonktown has some pretty good prices on them when they come up.

Hawker
02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
As others have said, fit is everything. I have done well with Giro over the years but I'm starting to really like the looks of Specialized. That said, I think helmets are one of the most overpriced pieces of cycling gear out there. I only buy helmets that are last year's model as the discounts can be huge.

jonnyBgood
02-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Hawker wrote That said, I think helmets are one of the most overpriced pieces of cycling gear out there.

??????? Aaah it's only protecting your head :confused:

Sure some helmets may be more expensive than others BUT the more holes that helmets have they need to be strengthen even more internally so that can make the helmet more expensive.

It amazes me how people come into a bike shop and say "WOW! that is a lot of money for a helmet...it's only going on your head" then you look at the running shoes or everyday shoes that they are wearing and they spend big money for them. Hum?????

Charles M
02-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Helmet price/value is only relative to what it protects.

Like fit, it can vary from person to person. ;)

rice rocket
02-21-2011, 11:11 AM
You can buy a $30 helmet that protects. Don't complain about options.

On another note, I'm trying to put together a chart of "what fits what head" using overall head shape. If you know you're an oval, tell me what fits. If you know your head is round, do the same.

Here's my list so far:

http://i.imgur.com/emntP.png

Tell me if your opinions differ too, I'm just using anecdotal evidence from trying on myself and/or opinions found on the internet, so if you can corroborate or refute certain claims, please do.

Nil Else
02-21-2011, 11:15 AM
One of the biggest problem with finding right cycling gears such as helmet, saddle, clothes etc is that very few people have access to LBS, or shops, that you can try out good cross sections of the products. It takes many trial and errors, efforts and bookoo waisted mula to figure out what fits you. Some day, I hope, there will be a big enough bike shop(s) where we can all try out cycling gears before buying... or something to the effect.

On another note, I'm trying to put together a chart of "what fits what head" using overall head shape. If you know you're an oval, tell me what fits.
Okay here is my contribution: Out of Giro and Bell high-end line up Atmos, Pneumo, and Ghisallo are the biggest helmets. Giro Ionos is smaller than Atmos and Prolight is even smaller than Ionos, ie, width wise. Maybe you can indicate the relative overall sizes as well.

Btw I like the idea of LAS built-in bug screen; my humongous noggin needs every bit of interior real estate it can git and wearing hat or skull cap takes away precious space (btw I wear Headsweat's 'soft' coolmax mash cycling cap as regular hats digs into my forehead too much and leaves near permanent indentations).

Hawker
02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Hawker wrote That said, I think helmets are one of the most overpriced pieces of cycling gear out there.

??????? Aaah it's only protecting your head :confused:

Sure some helmets may be more expensive than others BUT the more holes that helmets have they need to be strengthen even more internally so that can make the helmet more expensive.

It amazes me how people come into a bike shop and say "WOW! that is a lot of money for a helmet...it's only going on your head" then you look at the running shoes or everyday shoes that they are wearing and they spend big money for them. Hum?????

I'm just going by the substantial discounts you see one or two years after a new model comes out. In the U.S. they all meet the same standards and I don't think any helmet that has come out in the last few years is deficient in that area. Some may be a bit lighter, cooler, or have better adjustments...but if they meet ANSI or Snell ratings then from a safety factor they are all pretty much the same. When you look at a new $75 helmet and then a new $250 helmet...the differences seem minimal (or non-existent) on the safety side.

rice rocket
04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Updating this...

I bought a KASK K-10 from Shinybikes since no one really carries them locally here. Good service, they send Parcelforce, so it's trackable. It did take them 3 business days to put it in a box though. :rolleyes:

Anyways, about the helmet...what a helmet.

The KASK workmanship is excellent, seems like the Italians take their safety seriously. It has a hinged closure system that extends down in the back that cups your head, rather than just gripping around the circumference of your skull. You can get a secure fit without squeezing your head excessively. The padding is very soft, and removable for washing. The straps are nice, leather ends where it contacts your chin, and the sides are reflective. Honestly, the best helmet I ever laid my hands on. While the KASK isn't the lightest (280g claimed), it's the most well thought out helmet and I feel as though I paid for some good design and engineering. Comes with a helmet bag too.

Giro/Bell will charge you $200+ for what's pretty much their $20 helmet with more ventilation and less material. I paid $170 shipped for this thing, and it's not just a helmet...it's a work of art (all relative, of course ;) ).

FlashUNC
04-26-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm just going by the substantial discounts you see one or two years after a new model comes out. In the U.S. they all meet the same standards and I don't think any helmet that has come out in the last few years is deficient in that area. Some may be a bit lighter, cooler, or have better adjustments...but if they meet ANSI or Snell ratings then from a safety factor they are all pretty much the same. When you look at a new $75 helmet and then a new $250 helmet...the differences seem minimal (or non-existent) on the safety side.

Agreed.

I usually just end up going to Performance, finding whatever fits my head well and is on sale around that $75 mark and going with that.

They all meet the same safety standard, and are designed to become worthless after an accident. It isn't as if its some kind of durable good...

Aaron O
04-26-2011, 03:31 PM
I LOVE Uvex, a small German company that makes some terrific helmets with a lot of great features for a reasonable cost.

http://us.uvex-sports.com/

wc1934
04-26-2011, 07:31 PM
bonktown now selling lazer O2 for 50 bucks - look pretty good

chromopromo
04-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Fit & price makes all the difference for me. I had a expensive bell that I cracked and ended up with the Spyder helmet from Performance. The retention system is a little primitive but its light, great ventilation and only $60 on sale. I like it better than my Bell and my Rudy Project helmets. Fit wise it fits my oval head.

jmoore
04-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I LOVE Uvex, a small German company that makes some terrific helmets with a lot of great features for a reasonable cost.

http://us.uvex-sports.com/

I agree with Uvex. My Boss Race is super comfortable. The retention system snugs your head the entire way around when it's racheted down. I wore Limar for several years prior and they fit me good, but not as nicely as the Uvex. If you are a Bell person, then the Uvex is worth trying. If I didn't get the Uvex, it was a Bell Volt or Sweep for me.

Giro has never fit my melon and I've tried them all on.

dekindy
04-26-2011, 10:18 PM
I never thought that I would pay so much for a helmet. However the Giro Ionos is worth every penny to me for comfort and ventilation. My Bell Sweep is well ventilated but I can tell a huge difference between it and the Ionos.

Monthly Payment
04-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I like the fit and look of Giro helmets. Can anyone really say their Ionos/ Prolight/ Aeon is better than their Atmos? If carbon bits and electronics everywhere have made huge advances in the past 7 years, I would say very little in the Giro line has advanced since the Atmos. I recently just bought an Atmos to replace my Ionos and I think it actually feels lighter, fits better, feels cooler and looks better.

r_mutt
04-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Lazer make the only retention system that doesn't simply push your head into the front of the helmet... It has the most conforming fit system.

UVEX also has a few helmets that use this style of retention system. they are made in germany and laser die cut as well.

Lazer and UVEX are my personal favorites.

EricEstlund
04-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Lazer and UVEX are my personal favorites.

Same here. I try to limit my product recommendations, but I've had great luck with UVEX for the last several seasons. Their full wrap in mold really helps with the bumps and bruises the foam can take on a daily basis. My old Wing RS was great, the new Boss Race is even better (and a much lower profile).

Helmets these days can get into the silly light range- the Boss Race drops a lot of weight, but keeps enough that the helmet is still comfortable on my head and an actual daily use piece of kit.

To echo- go try a bunch on.

Aaron O
04-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Really awesome knowing it's not just me into Uvex. The only problem I have is that the only shop that stocked them near me went out...so I can't try stuff on before buying.

benb
04-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm a "long oval" according to Arai. (Speaking of expensive helmets)

I wear a Bell "Influx" at the moment. It fits OK. Definitely has that "squeeze the forehead" thing going on.

One thing I'd love to see is a helmet that had a motorcycle style D-ring clasp instead of the buckle clasp.

The D-ring clasp allows you to quickly and accurately adjust the strap tension so you always have the right amount no matter what you're wearing under the helmet.. And you could probably build it lighter since that is so important to bicyclists.. Anyway if anyone has seen such a clasp on a bicycle helmet I'd love to hear about it. As is I usually have my chin strap incorrectly adjusted since it's a huge PITA to fine tune it. I end up relying on the "halo" adjustment on the helmet.

EricEstlund
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
allows you to quickly and accurately adjust the strap tension so you always have the right amount no matter what you're wearing under the helmet.

UVEX uses a basic dial on the back and a slide cam on the chin- I can go from winter hat to summer bare one handed in about 5 seconds.

You are right, it is a nice feature.

http://us.uvex-sports.com/typo3temp/pics/0a101bc208.jpg

jbay
04-27-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm a "long oval" according to Arai. [...]
I wear a Bell "Influx" at the moment. It fits OK. Definitely has that "squeeze the forehead" thing going on.I fall into the same category. Add a Norman (as in, hailing from Normandy) sloping forehead into the mix, and I have never been able to find anything that comes close to fitting properly. I can adjust it to the Nth degree, tighten the straps to where I can barely think and still I can push it off my head my head, Houdini-style, with no effort whatsoever. Side to side slop is also noticeable. Slacken the straps to make it bareable and the fit is a joke.

Bell are the only ones I've tried that even come close to fitting. Anyone have other suggestions for this "head type"?

-- John

Germany_chris
04-27-2011, 12:35 PM
UVEX isn't really small...that like saying I know this small electronics company in Germany called Bosch :D ..I don't do helmets but the Army/MP's make me wear one about once a month on GP I wear a bell and a UVEX from a "small German company" :beer: depending on which helmet is with me in Stuttgart.

Aaron O
04-27-2011, 12:45 PM
UVEX isn't really small...that like saying I know this small electronics company in Germany called Bosch :D ..I don't do helmets but the Army/MP's make me wear one about once a month on GP I wear a bell and a UVEX from a "small German company" :beer: depending on which helmet is with me in Stuttgart.

Ha! I stand corrected!

Let me qualify my definition of small:

Small; a company whose products I can't easily access and which most people I know haven't heard of. I considered Walmart small until there was one in Philadephia :D I'm extremely provincial.

Grant McLean
04-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I like the fit and look of Giro helmets. Can anyone really say their Ionos/ Prolight/ Aeon is better than their Atmos? If carbon bits and electronics everywhere have made huge advances in the past 7 years, I would say very little in the Giro line has advanced since the Atmos. I recently just bought an Atmos to replace my Ionos and I think it actually feels lighter, fits better, feels cooler and looks better.

It really depends how one defines "better".
The Prolight and the Aeon are noticeably lighter than the Ionos and Atmos.
But there are subtle fit differences between them all.

Prolight - Stretch in the retention system (that isn't too adjustable). Feels tight.
Atmos - Slightly rounder or a tick larger than the Ionos, (at least in my size)
Aeon - light like the Prolight, but a lot more adjustable retention.

I still use a Pneumo, because i like how it fits, and looks, but i'll likely try on
the new Aeon when i can. I had a specialized s-works, also 200 grams like
the new Aeon, and there was a noticeable weight difference from all the
other 300 gram Giro helmets. Less weight is better.

-g

jmoore
04-28-2011, 10:17 AM
UVEX uses a basic dial on the back and a slide cam on the chin- I can go from winter hat to summer bare one handed in about 5 seconds.

You are right, it is a nice feature.

http://us.uvex-sports.com/typo3temp/pics/0a101bc208.jpg

That's the exact helmet I have. Fantastic helmet.

I should really get another one to have as a backup. Surely since I love it so much Uvex is about to discontinue them or make drastic changes to the model so it doesn't fit anymore

Aaron O
04-28-2011, 10:24 AM
That's the exact helmet I have. Fantastic helmet.

I should really get another one to have as a backup. Surely since I love it so much Uvex is about to discontinue them or make drastic changes to the model so it doesn't fit anymore

Several Uvex helmets are now on closeout at REI's Outlet. Ordering one now.

beungood
08-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Agreed, helmets are like saddles. You gotta try 'em.

I'm a "Bell" head (wide oval). Giros are for round headed folk. There's a lot of possibilities too, some guy did "head analysis" for motorcycle helmets, and came up w/ 5 categories. Not sure how the other brands generally fall in these categories.

http://i.imgur.com/adV7s.png

Long oval? Which seem to fit these heads?