PDA

View Full Version : drying shoes?

Climb01742
05-24-2005, 12:34 PM
anyone have a trick for drying out rain-soaked shoes? i use a method i used as a kid to dry out ski boots...stuff 'em full of paper towels to soak up water. given the weather forecast for beantown, i'll have wet shoes all week. any better ways? thanks!

flydhest
05-24-2005, 12:41 PM
newspaper works for me. We used to do it with our shoes in the team room when I was in grad school and it worked from one day to the next. It doesn't work completely for me here when I commute in in pouring rain and have to put the same shoes back on (eeewwwwwww) 9 to 9-1/2 hours later, but it's better than nothing.

William
05-24-2005, 12:49 PM
anyone have a trick for drying out rain-soaked shoes? i use a method i used as a kid to dry out ski boots...stuff 'em full of paper towels to soak up water. given the weather forecast for beantown, i'll have wet shoes all week. any better ways? thanks!

You can get a Peets dryer for about $40. Or if your handy, make the same thing with a hair dryer and some PVC pipe.

1. One "T"
2. Two 90 degree elbows
3. About 5' of straight PVC pipe.

One foot of pipe to the "T". Small section to connect the elbows pointing up. Two 20" to 24" pipe going straight up. Drill some holes in the last four inches of pipe, then slip your wet shoes over the top and push the end of the hair dryer into the bottom pipe and turn it on.

Wall-la.

Or just hang them up in your furnace room (if you have one).

William :)

Big Dan
05-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Apart from taking the insoles out and sticking newspapers in,the best thing that works for me is....
having 2 pairs of Sidi's............... :D

William
05-24-2005, 12:55 PM
. ;)

chrisroph
05-24-2005, 12:58 PM
I take out my insoles, put the shoes and insoles over the highest volume heater exhaust duct in the house, and blow a fan set to high over the whole pile. Sometimes, I will also put inside the shoes my electric ski boot heaters (which also work well to preheat shoes before a cold winter ride).

Too Tall
05-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Newspaper.

cpg
05-24-2005, 01:22 PM
How about fenders? Keep'em dry so you don't have to worry about it at least not as much? Reserve the befendered ride for just these occasions. Don't want the extra weight? Think of it as weight training. You'll ride more and farther.

Curt

bcm119
05-24-2005, 01:30 PM
I actually keep my Sidi genius' damp on purpose...if they dry too quickly the lorica gets tough and they shrink a bit.

In the summer when my shoes dry completely between rides they are uncomfortable for a while until the sweat softens them up. I stuff them in my backpack between rides so they don't dry so much.... and yeah they stink a little, but all athletic shoes stink.

Climb01742
05-24-2005, 02:04 PM
How about fenders? Keep'em dry so you don't have to worry about it at least not as much? Reserve the befendered ride for just these occasions. Don't want the extra weight? Think of it as weight training. You'll ride more and farther.

Curt

you are wise. buying fenders today. i was so freaking soaked today that my clothes weighed more than any fender could! :p

Bradford
05-24-2005, 02:43 PM
you are wise. buying fenders today. i was so freaking soaked today that my clothes weighed more than any fender could! :p

I can't believe you rode in that rain. It was raining so hard here in the Ocean State I didn't even want to drive.

flydhest
05-24-2005, 02:46 PM
fenders are good, but my ride no Friday . . . fenders wouldn't have mattered for my shoes or anything. I was soaked to the bone.

Tom
05-24-2005, 02:47 PM
If the furnace is on, they dry. If the furnace isn't on it's warm out and I don't care.

Frankwurst
05-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Take Williams advice. Peets dryers are fantastic. I've had one for 7 years and use it for eveything from a to z. Boots,gloves,shoes,you get the picture.Well worth the money and if you are going to ride on a cold morning throw your shoes on the night before and at least start out with warm feet. I leave mine plugged in all fall,winter and early spring.Check them out. :beer:

inGobwetrust
05-24-2005, 10:00 PM
My solution has been to ride my mountain and cross bikes and also to have several pairs of shoes. I've had to rotate them all quite a bit lately................... :crap:

RABikes2
05-25-2005, 01:15 AM
Newspaper does great. Take inserts out and place in-between two pieces of newspaper and blot; repeat, then place inserts on dry newspaper to dry in open air. Crumple newspaper into shoes (tightly and to shape); repeat once or twice as needed.

Elefantino
05-25-2005, 06:07 AM
The best. Works for really sweaty shoes, too.

Kevan
05-25-2005, 06:32 AM
Wad the paper tightly into each shoe and tighten the shoe's fasteners firmly. Wait 2-4 hrs. remove the wet paper and wad a second round of paper again and leave it in place over night. Next day.... dry shoes.

It woiks!

Elefantino
05-25-2005, 09:04 PM
I work at a newspaper and if you knew what cr*p we put in them every day, you wouldn't put them in your shoes.

Like today: Big stories about American Idol, Jeopardy and Congress.

Makes you want to hurl. And you want to put that in your Sidis?