PDA

View Full Version : Licktons Reputation...

SoCalSteve
05-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Hi all,

I was quoted a very good price on a set of wheels (hand built) from Bob Lickton. It's hard to find Phil Wood hubs at a decent price and he has them....

I guess my question is: Does he have a good reputation as a wheel builder? I know him from buying parts mailorder at very reasonable prices...But never for doing anything with a wrench or a spoke tool.

Any experiences with him? Good, bad, indifferent?

Thank you all in advance,

Steve

Louis
05-24-2005, 10:27 AM
I have a pair of wheels I got from Licktons (OPs on Campy hubs), but haven't put them on a frame yet, so I have no idea how they'll track over time. They do spin straight, but I can't be sure about how even the tension is - my ears aren't sufficiently calibrated, and I don't have a tensiometer.

That doesn't help you a whole lot. In a few months I'll have some miles on them but it will be too late for you then...

Louis

SoCalSteve
05-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Louis,

Why did you buy a wheelset from them?

Thanks,

Steve

Louis
05-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Louis,

Why did you buy a wheelset from them?

Thanks,

Steve

They had the best price on the Campy gruppo I was buying.

William
05-24-2005, 11:03 AM
...but it will be too late for you then...

Louis

Is it just me, or should there be some maniacle laughter following that line???? :D

William ;)

SoCalSteve
05-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Any clues to their reputation beyong having great mail order prices???

I am torn between buying the huset and shipping it to Mike Garcia (at a much larger cost) or having Licktons build them.

Please, someone, anyone...Help me out here!!!!

As always, thank you in advance,

Steve

flydhest
05-24-2005, 11:17 AM
I seem to recall dnovo speaking highly of them. I have no firsthand experience, however.

Too Tall
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Bob is a good guy...fast talker. I've got no reason to believe he's anything other than honest. Sorry, no clue regards wheel build quality. I'd recommend a known local or one of the Holy Trinity the this forum likes.

IFRider
05-24-2005, 12:33 PM
I bought a 2000 Chorus build kit that included open pro's and DB spokes. The wheels were built right and I have not touched them in the interim other than my own problems (crashing into a pothole).

As far as trust, he is a great guy. We ordered a racks and panniers for a tour in Vermont at that time there was a number items on the order out of stock (one Tubus rack). I explained what the deal was and he arranged for me to get the rack from another source (not sure what, other than he drop shipped it to me and I made my trip).

Some on the net talk about him being a fast talking guy, but my experience is he spent plenty of time talking through my order and business (plus NY camera dealers are my measurement for fast talking sales guys) ...

Warren

shaq-d
05-24-2005, 04:33 PM
no experience on buying wheels from lickton's.

i've had only positive experiences with lickton's. very positive.

and actually, i've never heard any negative experience in terms of bad products/service etc. from lickton's. if i have to take fast talking for excellent products, price, and service, i'll do that any day.

sd

SoCalSteve
05-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Still waiting to hear from Mr M. Garcia if he can get the hubs and what the charges will be from him. But at least I know now that Licktons is a viable alternative.

Good to know.

Now, what does everyone think of Phil Woods hubs? Their normal cassette hub with skewers?

Thanks again for everything!

Steve