PDA

View Full Version : Stem advice

spincoast
02-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi all,

I need to buy a shorter stem for my Luigino and want to stay with a quill style.
I currently have a 3t, but it does seem a bit flexi and would appreciate any advice on what I should be looking to buy to reduce flex.
I think the one I have now is a 110 and need to come back at least a full handlebar length.
The handlebars are also 3t (forma). Maybe thats where some of the flex is? Nonetheless, I do need to shorten my reach so any advice would be great.

Thanks
Steve

AngryScientist
02-19-2011, 09:39 AM
shortening your stem will naturally reduce flex, and i think the 3t stems are pretty good. i suggest going with a shorter reach set of bars in 26 dia so you can still use the quill stem.

there are several shorter reach bars avail, there was a recent thread on the topic, salsa poco bars were mentioned as well as an offering by nitto and bontrager.

spincoast
02-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Great advice that i will certainly consider. I'll search that earlier topic.

Thanks AngryScientist

AngryScientist
02-19-2011, 10:04 AM
no prob. short reach bars have changed my fit and comfort on the bike in a huge way. i can now ride in the drops for hours with no comfort issues, definitely look into them, they may revolutionize your riding, they did for me.

buldogge
02-19-2011, 10:54 AM
If you are looking for new, the Nitto technomic (short) or pearl are probably your best bet.

The 3TTT stem I run on my Gilmour is a little more flexy than the Cinellis I run on my other bikes...but...the 3TTT Competizione bars on there are really flexy.

How about switching to a Cinelli combo...1A or XA and 64s or 66s depending on what kind of drop you like???

-Mark in St. Louis

mandasol
02-19-2011, 01:55 PM
+1 I've had better experiences with Cinelli stems vs. 3TTT as far as stiffness goes. I've gone the quill to threadless adapter route and find the stiffness better, but if I were to go back to quill I'd like to try the 3TTT Evol - looks pretty beefy, though hard to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Old-Stock-3TTT-3T-TTT-2002-Evol-Stem-110-mm-/270700369291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f06ffd58b#ht_1700wt_1012

spincoast
02-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks buldogge & mandasol.

Steve

Ken Robb
02-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Nittos in order of increasing quill length: Pearl, Technomic DeLuxe, Technomic.
If you get a longer quill and raise the bars your reach will also be reduced even if the horizontal stem length is the same, but you knew that.

I have a very stiff, pretty Ital Manubri 10cm stem that is 0 degree angle. It would allow you to have the bars at the same height they have been without having much quill above the headset. I don't think you could flex that setup. $35 shipped in CONUS. Ken