PDA

View Full Version : Tire Widths

Wilkinson4
02-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Why oh why can't manufactures list accurate tire widths? I just bought for an ok price some Conti Top Contact's for my Bilenky. I was running some Challenge Parigi that measured about 28.5mm. Great ride, but a little bit cut and flat prone and I want to start my commute soon.

I heard good things about the Top Contacts and ordered the 28mm. They are mounted and measure 24.5mm and I am being generous.

I'll see how they ride and they are tall like a 28mm tire. Out for 50 on Sat...

They just look funny because the bike can handle up to 30mm with fenders and these really screw up the fender line. But, they are supposed to be bullet proof.

mIKE

fourflys
02-18-2011, 09:58 PM
I just wish the LBS's around here would carry something other than a 23mm...

Dave Wages
02-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I've found that Conti's advertised widths are consistently narrower than specified, and the problem seems to get progressively worse the wider (theoretically), you go. I had some Contact's in a 37mm width that were more like 30's, maybe?

As an aside, I don't particularly care for the ride of the Conti's, they do last, but they ride harsh. I hope that the trend towards fatter tires continues though, and that manufacturers start to offer their nicest tires in 25's and 28's. That would be nice!

Cheers,
Dave

Fixed
02-18-2011, 10:31 PM
yes but they are good tires
cheers

fourflys
02-18-2011, 11:33 PM
I've found that Conti's advertised widths are consistently narrower than specified, and the problem seems to get progressively worse the wider (theoretically), you go. I had some Contact's in a 37mm width that were more like 30's, maybe?

As an aside, I don't particularly care for the ride of the Conti's, they do last, but they ride harsh. I hope that the trend towards fatter tires continues though, and that manufacturers start to offer their nicest tires in 25's and 28's. That would be nice!

Cheers,
Dave

Dave,
What do you like in the wider stuff?

soulspinner
02-19-2011, 05:43 AM

Cheers,
Dave

Was stunned when I measured a 23 Grand Prix to be considerably less. Maybe the 25s will be 23..............

Dave Wages
02-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Dave,
What do you like in the wider stuff?

I like the Vittoria Open Corsa CX's in a 25, and the Grand Bois in a 32 look nice, haven't ridden them yet. Another nice tire is the Challenge Paris Roubaix, in a 27 (more like a 29).

I actually rode some Rubino Pro 28's over the better part of last summer and while they're not the nicest tires, they're not bad.

Cheers,
Dave

Fixed
02-19-2011, 08:40 PM
the same goes for shoes
they all have different scale
cheers

fourflys
02-19-2011, 11:29 PM
I like the Vittoria Open Corsa CX's in a 25, and the Grand Bois in a 32 look nice, haven't ridden them yet. Another nice tire is the Challenge Paris Roubaix, in a 27 (more like a 29).

I actually rode some Rubino Pro 28's over the better part of last summer and while they're not the nicest tires, they're not bad.

Cheers,
Dave

I was thinking of trying out the Rubino Pro's next... really would like to try the Open Corsa's but am a little worried about durability...

thoughts?

Wilkinson4
02-19-2011, 11:50 PM
So, got the Top Contacts out today for about 40 miles. They actually roll pretty good. A little sketch in the corners and I really want something with more air volume and read that the 32's measure about 27mm.

A 24.5mm these are the skinniest tires I have ridden in ages. I usually ride the Challenge Parigi or Gran Bois tires. I also have ruffy tuffy and jack browns. All are really nice tires.

But, I want a trouble free commute so I'll probably stick with the Top Contacts for now.

mIKE

Scott Shire
02-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Rivendell Roll-y-Polly or Jack Brown.

Ken Robb
02-20-2011, 10:11 AM
I suspect that some of the tires that measure narrower than labeled may just have a skinny/tall cross section when inflated on certain rims. A few years ago I had some "700x28" Paselas that measured 25-26mm wide BUT they were quite long-oval in cross section so the volume may have been similar to a perfectly round tire that would measure a true 28mm wide. In any event they rode about as cushy as Roly-Polys that measure a true 27-28 when inflated to the same pressure.

Variation in tire profiles can be very pronounced in motorcycle tires and the handling characteristics of a given bike transformed by a tire swap. Tires with a pronounced VEE shape tend to fall into corners easily and put down a wider contact patch when heeled over but they have less rubber on the road when straight up so there is some loss of acceleration/braking traction.

I prefer tires with round profiles for a linear response to all inputs and I'm more interested in having the best braking than max cornering traction because I'm not racing so the extra side traction is only theoretical for me.

rice rocket
02-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Variation in tire profiles can be very pronounced in motorcycle tires and the handling characteristics of a given bike transformed by a tire swap. Tires with a pronounced VEE shape tend to fall into corners easily and put down a wider contact patch when heeled over but they have less rubber on the road when straight up so there is some loss of acceleration/braking traction.

A few motorcycle tires have multi-tread compounds as well. Soft on the edges for more cornering grip, harder in the middle since most of your time is spent upright. Wonder if that'll ever catch on with bicycle tires.

Also, why are bicycle tires SO FRIGGIN' EXPENSIVE?! $50 for about 1/50th of what makes up a motorcycle or car tire.

Ralph
02-20-2011, 12:22 PM
My 700X25 Continental Ultra Gatorskins (Just Gatorskins for 2011 I think), measure 24 MM wide on a fairly wide old Campy clincher I still use. Some 700X23 Michelin PR's I still have, measure 24 MM on a narrow IRD clinmcher rim. Go figure!

Rueda Tropical
02-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 28's are 28 on a 23 wide rim and are very flat resistant so far (900 miles no flats). The old Michelin Pro2 25 was a hair under 28 on a 23 wide rim. They were also very flat resistant.

Bud
02-20-2011, 08:20 PM
My Michelin Dynamic 28's actually measure 29-30 on 15 width open pros. Great for commuting and all-around riding, and cheap too.