PDA

View Full Version : Serotta, Veloflex Tubulars, Big Sur and Tailwind = Bliss

Zard
05-24-2005, 12:04 AM
I just got back from a two day ride from San Francisco to Cambria via Highway 1 and then Big Sur to get in some much needed miles for another Ironman this summer. A wise old cycling friend of mine says there is no such thing as a bad day riding. Still, there are some days that stand out.

Earlier this year I returned to tubulars after a 20 year hiatus in large measure because of the whole Tufo deal. While they are durable, they don't roll all that great and the cornering, etc. is nothing special. They never quite captured the magic feeling of a nice tubular tire that I remembered. Feeling underwhelmed I ordered a set of Veloflex Carbons based upon everyone's positive comments.

They arrived the the day before I was set to hit the road for my weekend of high bike mileage. So, on they go to my Reynolds DV Stratus wheelset.

Day One:
Saturday was a beautiful blue sky 70 degree day along the coast and from the first few cranks I knew I was in for something special - the tubular "moment" I had been waiting for finally arrived with these tires.

By the time I hit Highway 1 near Half Moon Bay you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. This is easily the nicest set of tires I have ever ridden. Confident, smooth, grippy, plush - everything rolled into one tire. I picked up a tailwind and from there cruised down to Santa Cruz and on to Monterey where the wife and kids were waiting.

Day Two:
I awoke to another blue sky day in Monterey - something that you can't always count on along the coast. Sunday morning, little traffic and 100 miles of the Big Sur coastline in front of me - oh, and another tailwind. Perfect 68-72 degree cycling weather. The views of the ocean, mountains cliffs and pounding surf, the smell of the salt air and vegetation, the smooth road, the curves, the uphills and the downhills. It felt like I was carving big fast giant slalom turns in fresh snow all day long. Beautiful.

The last 20 miles descend out of Big Sur and flatten out as you head south towards Hearst Castle and Cambria. It's here that you pick up another fantastic tailwind and as the miles steadily click by at 30-35 mph you get a chance to reflect on why you love cycling so much.

A few nice cold beers and some bbq ribs post ride with the family and the day and weekend was complete.

Oh, and the Veloflexes? Not a single nick on them. I think it may be time to give in, build up a set of everyday tubulars and retire my clinchers....

93legendti
05-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Sounds great! How do you like your Reynolds wheels?

Zard
05-24-2005, 12:46 AM
These are my "race" wheels that I am using for everyday riding. I have several thousand miles on them. Pefectly true. Seem to be pretty durable. I am 6'2" 190 pounds. They can be a little sketchy in a heavy crosswind but thats just because of the aero profile. A great wheelset.

I had one technical issue with the rear hub. Reynolds fixed it and sent it back to me the same day they received it and then gave me a follow up phone call. I have heard nothing but positive remarks about their customer service.

It suprising that you don't see more of them out on the road.

Too Tall
05-24-2005, 07:23 AM
Z - Are you my long lost brother or what? I ditched my clinchers sometime ago and returned to tubs also. My experience is similar and was looking for that extra shot of pizzaz, sweetness in the ride...that intangible something. It is just good timing too since I'm racing USCF again so tubs are a real bonus in the local crit scene...the Veloflex crits are awesome.

I'm probably a good candidate for Tubular Wheel poster child as I've accumulated no less than 4 1/2 tubular wheelsets in the last 2 yrs. :)

Can I come out and ride that route too??? Man that sounds like a cathartic bicycle experience, just the sort of thing to pick me out of the blues.

For an everyday tubular wheelset I lucked out and went with my instincts, it is perfect and recommend you consider it too. I took a set of well used DA hubs ,anything Chorus/Record/Ultegra will do, and had them laced by Dave Thomas to Velocity Escape rims. Dave knows I'm a tall hairy bean pole with lots of watts so he laced the front 2X and rear is 2Xnondrive and 3X drive. He uses all sorts of interesting shaped spokes...just let him do what he wants. I recall the build was about 1450 grams. The wheelset is stupid strong. I'm commuting daily on this and ride about 2-4 miles of dirt each day as well. A bonus is that these are quite good crit wheels if you don't plan on racing off the front.

I'm using a set of Tufo Road Elite with 30 grams of Rock n' Roll sealant (Toob Spooge). This is a good choice for me as Washington, DC is littered with glass. Agreed, the TUFO does not roll great just OK. In the wintertime I run Clement Strada TT tubs, these are very inexpensive and ride pretty well and at only $50 for 3 I don't repair them :cool: