PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any gamers out there?

William
02-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Just curious if anyone is playing PS3, X-Box, etc....?

We have never been big on TV or video games in our house, but we do play on a limited and scheduled basis. Pretty much only on weekends and even then not for long periods. I have to say they really have come a long long way since Mrs William and I were in college playing Mortal Combat on a Sega. :)

Ice age is popular with our daughter, and Call of Duty: Black Ops (with gore and language turned off) is popular with our son and Mrs William. I'm having fun with Red Dead Redemption. I want to give Gran Turismo a run in the future, the graphics look amazing.

Anyway, just curious if any of you play and what systems and games you like?

William

rugbysecondrow
02-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Just curious if anyone is playing PS3, X-Box, etc....?

We have never been big on TV or video games in our house, but we do play on a limited and scheduled basis. Pretty much only on weekends and even then not for long periods. I have to say they really have come a long long way since Mrs William and I were in college playing Mortal Combat on a Sega. :)

Ice age is popular with our daughter, and Call of Duty: Black Ops (with gore and language turned off) is popular with our son and Mrs William. I'm having fun with Red Dead Redemption. I want to give Gran Turismo a run in the future, the graphics look amazing.

Anyway, just curious if any of you play and what systems and games you like?

William

I am not a gamer, but I like playing Wi. Wi is a game machine for people who are not gamers, IMO at least. Fun, interactive, and the whole family can play. Tennis, Baseball, dance off games...these are good fun.

William
02-18-2011, 07:36 AM
I am not a gamer, but I like playing Wi. Wi is a game machine for people who are not gamers, IMO at least. Fun, interactive, and the whole family can play. Tennis, Baseball, dance off games...these are good fun.

The Wi does look like fun. I see that X-Box now makes the Kinect which allows it to be used kind of like a Wi. We might have to check that out in the future.

William

theprep
02-18-2011, 07:53 AM
My 4 sons wanted an xbox and Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas 2009.

The kids really do not play too much. Me however, I play way too much. The couple of hours a day I used to ride and hang on the Serotta forum are now used to play on the xbox. Cycling fitness is gone.

I have been playing Black Ops since November. The Multiplayer game, where you are competing with people from all over the country (world) is an amazing game. Every match is different and unpredictable.

Never was a gamer as a kid. I waited until 42 to start.

cheers,
Prep

William
02-18-2011, 08:01 AM
My 4 sons wanted an xbox and Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas 2009. The kids really do not play too much. Me however, I play way too much. The couple of hours a day I used to ride and hang on the Serotta forum are now used to play on the xbox. Cycling fitness is gone. I have been playing Black Ops since November. The Multiplayer game, where you are competing with people from all over the country (world) is an amazing game. Every match is different and unpredictable. Never was a gamer as a kid. I waited until 42 to start. cheers, Prep

I can actually see how that could happen. Mrs. William though is an effective deterrent to long game play.....she is very accurate with a shoe from 30 paces. ;)

William

sg8357
02-18-2011, 08:12 AM
I play Windows:Find the Virus at work sometimes.
Mac:Quest for the Magic Config File X, is good too.
Newest game is 'Find the Rogue AP', kind of like geocaching played
with out a gps.

In the old days I played Civil War Brigade Series from The Gamers.
SPI Thirty Years Wars quad, PanzerGruppe Guderian.

ergott
02-18-2011, 08:24 AM
I'll give a shout-out for Gran Turismo 5. Driving sims are my fav.

@theprep - Wow, what's going on over there?

buck-50
02-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Mass effect 1 and 2 on the X-box are pretty amazing. Some of the best gaming out there, if you are into playing a story.

I love that small decisions you make in the first game can have minor or major fallout in the second. And, there's a third one in the works.

Gears of war is stunning to look at- there are times when you want the shooting to stop so you can actually admire the backdrops. It's also a hoot to play.

cdn_bacon
02-18-2011, 08:45 AM
No consoles over here. Just PC gaming. Started playing Black OPS recently but at the ripe old age of 36 I may actually turn off the gore. It's rediculous. Fun as Multiplayer if you have a good group to play with.

Borderlands is the most fantastic game. Highly recommended. It's like playing a comic book.

www.borderlandsthegame.com

Kept me busy for a few hours to say the least. Fun characters.

Dekonick
02-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Civilization. Any of them. Fantastic games.

oldguy00
02-18-2011, 09:36 AM
I play COD4 multiplayer on my macbook pro (in bootcamp windows 7) once in a while.
I do have an XBOX, and have used it a few times while riding the trainer, Halo, etc.
Was thinking of getting a slower paced game, like 'Alan Wake', to try while on the trainer......anything to pass the time....
Sufferfest videos are pretty good too... :)

theprep
02-18-2011, 09:41 AM
I'll give a shout-out for Gran Turismo 5. Driving sims are my fav.

@theprep - Wow, what's going on over there?

Eric - I hope all is well with you.

It is bad. I actually purchased a 2nd xbox and 2 copies of Black Ops so I can play at the same time as my kids.

My 8 year old cracks me up. We have headsets on or just yell across the basement at each other. The other day, we are in a room overlooking Kowloon, China with 2 windows. I tell him to cover that window and I will cover the other. We have claymores in the doorway entrance. Playing with a team mate is a huge advantage if you work together.

Trouble is, he is a typical 8 year old and can't stay still even in the game. I think he is covering my back, then he hears me shoot and is right next to me, then I see him 50 meters away jumping over some oil barrels and spinning off rooftops.

Dad... Dad.... I saw a bad guy, I had to get em.

My pants are tight, need to get back on the bike.

phcollard
02-18-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm not a hardcore but every Friday with three friends we play COD MW2 on Xbox - local splitscreen. We don't like to play online. Local splitscreen allow us to actually meet, enjoy a plate of cheese and glasses of wine. We can't live without our Friday gaming night. And it's tonight! Can't wait!!! MW2 is just a great game, we've been playing since it's been available and we never get tired of it.

ergott
02-18-2011, 10:33 AM
My pants are tight, need to get back on the bike.

Let's ride back in shape together!
I'm leaving for Texas today, but we can get some weekend rides in if interested.

:beer:

FlashUNC
02-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Have both an XBox and a PS3. Had a Wii but sold it for lack of use.

I've been playing a lot of NBA 2k11 lately. One of the best sports games ever, really. The Jordan mode alone could be a standalone game.

If you play online a lot, I'd recommend Battlefield 2: Bad Company 2. Aside from the awful name, the online play is stellar. You can play as a medic, solider, engineer, etc in huge maps where vehicles and all sorts of batty weapons rule the day. Nothing like sitting in a chopper with four buddies in a squad together. One piloting the Blackhawk, two as the door gunners, the other jumping out to parachute behind enemy lines.

Did I mention everything destructible? By the end of a round of capturing various points, towns that did look like your normal suburb suddenly look like a bombed out wasteland. First time I killed a sniper in a tower by bringing down the whole building with a tank round was pretty satisfying.

On the PS3, Uncharted and Uncharted 2 are basically the best things since sliced bread. They're what the last Indiana Jones movie should have been.

William
02-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Red Dead Redemption is pretty amazing. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBctl1h_2o

William

William
08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Anyone racing Forza Motorsport? I'm a dabbler but I'm into my 5th season of racing. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHNj8HO8xjg&feature=relmfu

William

rice rocket
08-04-2011, 10:51 PM
I've played it. Pretty enjoyable. I much prefer their physics engine to that of GT5.

130R
08-04-2011, 11:40 PM
add me! xbox live - DuraAche

it's hard to find mature gamers with common interests :)

i play black ops and forza 3 presently

EPOJoe
08-04-2011, 11:41 PM
I've weened myself off, but for years I was a hardcore Everquest (original) and World of Warcraft MMORPG nut, with breaks for Eve, Guild Wars and Diablo.

I miss the days of trains and wipes in The Estate of Unrest. :)

ThasFACE
08-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Have both xbox360 and ps3, and sometimes allow myself to get waaaaay too wrapped up in video games.

Anyway, the COD games are a good time and I'll second that Uncharted 2 is really spectacular (easily one of the best games on ps3, atmo). I've also recently really enjoyed Mass Effect 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Dead Space (1 and 2), and Assassin's Creed (2 and Brotherhood), but all of these are essentially single-player deals... and some of them are exceptionally violent/creepy...

As for Red Dead Redemption, I had a really hard time getting in to it. Everyone else seems to love it to bits, but it just didn't click for me.

[I'm lucky that my GF accepts my extreme nerdiness, btw]

William
08-05-2011, 07:43 AM
We're running the Xbox360 ....my son informed me it's not just an Xbox. :no: :confused: :)

I'm having a lot of fun with Forza right now. I like the fact that I can hit it in chunks. Doing season play I can come in and do a few races and then shut it down and come back at another time. I can't sit for too long or I get restless. I like Red Dead but sometimes you get into missions and you can end up playing for quite a while. Same with the Red Dead Undead Nightmare zombie version.

William

sc53
08-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Anyone ever hear of Dwarf Fortress? I'm not a gamer but recently read a really interesting article on the two brothers who design this game. I googled it but it looks vastly too complicated and intricate for my simple mind.

FlashUNC
08-05-2011, 10:56 AM
We're running the Xbox360 ....my son informed me it's not just an Xbox. :no: :confused: :)

I'm having a lot of fun with Forza right now. I like the fact that I can hit it in chunks. Doing season play I can come in and do a few races and then shut it down and come back at another time. I can't sit for too long or I get restless. I like Red Dead but sometimes you get into missions and you can end up playing for quite a while. Same with the Red Dead Undead Nightmare zombie version.

William

I'm of the same mind when it comes to Forza. I can do 2-3 races, buy a car or two, customize them, and then put it away for a bit.

I have to say, powersliding a Dodge Charger around the bends on the LeMans full circuit is ridiculously fun.

Forza 4's just around the corner...

ThasFACE
08-05-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm of the same mind when it comes to Forza. I can do 2-3 races, buy a car or two, customize them, and then put it away for a bit.

I have to say, powersliding a Dodge Charger around the bends on the LeMans full circuit is ridiculously fun.

Forza 4's just around the corner...
Yeah, the Forza games are a good time, and they look fantastic. As a side note, I'm amazed that they keep squeezing progessively more beautiful games out of the xbox360/ps3. Both platforms are already pretty long in the tooth by computertrons standards.

William
10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
So, anyone sporting Forza 4 yet? Comments?

I hear you can pull your cars and winnings over from Forza 3.

Flash: I love the Lemans course. I've customized a little 70's Datsun coupe to the point where I can smoke a Bugatti Veyron on the drag strip and drop a lot of R3 cars on the Lemans course. :D

William

FlashUNC
10-25-2011, 08:35 AM
So, anyone sporting Forza 4 yet? Comments?

I hear you can pull your cars and winnings over from Forza 3.

Flash: I love the Lemans course. I've customized a little 70's Datsun coupe to the point where I can smoke a Bugatti Veyron on the drag strip and drop a lot of R3 cars on the Lemans course. :D

William

The Datsun 510, properly built out in that game, will nuke just about anything. Its absurd really, especially when you do the in-car view on the Mulsanne Straight. The thing just ticks along as 200mph+ as a tiny little Japanese copy of the BMW 2002.

I haven't picked up Forza 4 yet because I've been immersed in the new Batman: Arkham City. Ridiculously fun to do Batman things to criminals.

Aaron O
10-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Red Dead Redemption is pretty amazing. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBctl1h_2o

William
One of my closest friends was the developer on that game. Look at the credits for tim Laubach.

redir
10-25-2011, 09:40 AM
I play about an hour a day of Doom3 online maybe 5 times a week. It's old but classic game and only a hand full of players still play so it's a lot of fun to meet up and hammer each other for a few rounds.

I also have COD but have not really gotten into it. And for some reason my ping sucks with COD anywhere I go it seems.

I also have a Second Life avatar that I use once in a while for fun and every week for work purposes.

Finally I run my own simulator in OpenSIM where I learn to build worlds and code.

Oh yes and I am learning how to build worlds in Unity 3D too.

tuscanyswe
10-25-2011, 09:47 AM
I used to be a hard core gamer to the point where it wasent healthy.. So i stopped it alltogether. Can be very addictive.

More computer games than videogames. Played alot of Heroes3 possibly the best game ever made :)

Medal of honor and Tiberium wars are other favorites but require multiplayer / online to enjoy. Ive yet to discover a car game i dident like :)

deechee
10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
I haven't tried forza4 but I wasn't so big on 3. Way too much time needed for that game.

Need for Speed is more my cup of tea. Turn it on, race like an idiot, and turn it off. I'm glad there's a new version coming out.

The star wars game in time for Christmas looks like fun too, although I would much rather SSX be released in time for the holidays. Soul Calibur is coming back too I see :P (I had a dreamcast back in the day)

rice rocket
10-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Battlefield 3 came out today.

Good thing I don't own any hardware that can run it... :rolleyes:

mtb_frk
10-25-2011, 02:29 PM
I am trying to resist buying it...

William
10-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Battlefield 3 came out today.

William Jr. has been hitting us like Mark McGuire on the juice for this one. ;) :)

William

TimmyB
10-25-2011, 06:35 PM
I would hardly call myself a gamer... the newest console I have is a PS1. And it hasn't been played in a handful of years.

I do however still play Starcraft (the original, non broodwar version) on occasion.

Anyone play on bnet? Message me :bike: :bike: :bike:

tuscanyswe
10-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Im up for a game of chess if anyone is interested. Still the best game ever made?

Aaron O
10-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Im up for a game of chess if anyone is interested. Still the best game ever made?
Let's play global thermonuclear war.

buldogge
10-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Nice job "80's boy"...

-Mark in St. Louis

Let's play global thermonuclear war.

Aaron O
10-25-2011, 08:59 PM
:D

William
10-26-2011, 01:57 PM
One of my closest friends was the developer on that game. Look at the credits for tim Laubach.

Cool. I really like the game, I just find it hard to sit and play it for long periods (which the missions require).

William

learningtoride
10-26-2011, 03:48 PM
I raised my nephews and now, they are both living at home for a bit to give me a hand while I'm healing from that auto wreck a few months back. They are both now in their early twenties. My oldest has a ps3 and I enjoy family time as one of the boys will control but we all chip in on the fighting of zombies! Always good family fun as long as it's in moderation. I am even happier when we go walking at night, run with the dogs at the park or RIDE as a family but now and again you need family time at home that doesn't include things like abc, cbs or tnt. lol. I love the zumba on wii but am limited in my mobility so it's been more of a challange. And being a good old old school 80s girl I LOVE mario carts lol. There's nothing in home entertainment as there was back in the days of tempest, centipede and joust, but at least there still is clean american fun in the video game world. :o