PDA

View Full Version : good form ?

Fixed
02-17-2011, 06:27 PM
i know all you guys are getting ready for racing and i am going to ask about a charity ride . well bear with me this is the first group ride i have done in several years .my question is when showing up for a charity ride (ride 4 the animals) is it bad form to ride a fixed gear , or would it be better form to ride a geared bike ? . given my current physical shape i will only be able to ride 12 miles , i am riding for my dog Pongo, i am going to have his picture pined to to backside of my jersey the way i used wear my racing number ..this may be the last group ride i ever do
cheers
i would like to ride my fixed gear

c77barlage
02-17-2011, 06:33 PM
I say as long as your fixed bike has brakes, ride it.

gauvink
02-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Fixed,

What does it matter to anyone what YOU ride.? It's a charity ride ride what you want and have fun..

Fixed
02-17-2011, 06:38 PM
I say as long as your fixed bike has brakes, ride it.
front brake it is very flat course (fl. ) i am very experienced on a fixed gear though
thanks
cheers

Fixed
02-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Fixed,

What does it matter to anyone what YOU ride.? It's a charity ride ride what you want and have fun..
i have never been on a charity ride before
thanks
cheers

c77barlage
02-17-2011, 06:44 PM
In my opinion, a front brake will be great. If this ride is anything like the carity rides I have been on, there will be a great varience in the riding ability of the participants. You never know what the riders around you are going to do. Ride the bike you want to and have an awesome time.

biker72
02-17-2011, 06:44 PM
A charity ride is a charity ride. I rode a Electric Assist Trek hybrid last year in local charity ride. Got a lot of comments because I had mounted signs on it with lightning bolts.

This year my shop is going to enter a Elliptigo (http://www.elliptigo.com/) in that same ride.

Fixed
02-17-2011, 06:48 PM
thanks for bearing with my dumb question
i doing this for my dog who died a couple of weeks ago of a sudden heart attack ,
thank you so fixed it is .
that will make me happy
cheers

ericspin
02-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Bro, I used to routinely ride fixed amongst my geared brothers. I agree that a brake is all it takes to be safe. And if I had a fixed gear right now I would definitely ride it on Saturday. There was a good long period of time during your hiatus when I rode fixed exclusively as my Pacenti FG was my only road bike As you know that ride will be perfect for a FG. Especially the ride over the Clearwater and Sand Key bridges. Hey man, I'll be right along with you. Knowing our local scene, I am betting we will see plenty of FG during the ride especially if the 66Mafia learns of the ride. See you there.

Fixed
02-17-2011, 07:02 PM
thanks eric see you saturday
you know my bike look for the skinny weak guy with a dog picture on his jersey :)
cheers

rounder
02-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Have a great ride Fixed!

phlash23
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Knowing our local scene, I am betting we will see plenty of FG during the ride especially if the 66Mafia learns of the ride. See you there.
Word is out on the street. Most if not all of the 66 Racing Team will either be working or racing in Gainesville or Orlando this weekend. I'm one of the poor saps stuck working. I think my girlfriend will be attending though and doing the 30 mile ride. She's a huge fan of dogs, obviously, she's dating me ;)

rickbb
02-18-2011, 06:00 AM
thanks for bearing with my dumb question
i doing this for my dog who died a couple of weeks ago of a sudden heart attack ,
thank you so fixed it is .
that will make me happy
cheers

You're making us happy with this thread.
Have a great ride in Pongo's memory.

rugbysecondrow
02-18-2011, 06:11 AM
i know all you guys are getting ready for racing and i am going to ask about a charity ride . well bear with me this is the first group ride i have done in several years .my question is when showing up for a charity ride (ride 4 the animals) is it bad form to ride a fixed gear , or would it be better form to ride a geared bike ? . given my current physical shape i will only be able to ride 12 miles , i am riding for my dog Pongo, i am going to have his picture pined to to backside of my jersey the way i used wear my racing number ..this may be the last group ride i ever do
cheers
i would like to ride my fixed gear

You will be fine, on a fixed gear I would be aware of the riders in front of you and their inconsistent speed/handling.

Enjoy and report back!

Paul

Ken Robb
02-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Ride the fixie and stay out of pacelines would be my opinion. You can expect some riders who don't know proper technique/behavior so safety is iffy. In addition you don't want to get sucked in to riding too hard for your present condition. That is all my avuncular advice for now. Have fun. :beer:

Fixed
02-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Ride the fixie and stay out of pacelines would be my opinion. You can expect some riders who don't know proper technique/behavior so safety is iffy. In addition you don't want to get sucked in to riding too hard for your present condition. That is all my avuncular advice for now. Have fun. :beer:
thanks ken that is exactly why i didn't want to show up on a caad 7 in a full race kit i might be tempted to go to hard .
everybody thanks for the encouragement and support ...
and for caring
cheers

Frankwurst
02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
It's a charity ride Fixed and your riding for your dog. Ride a tricycle if that's what makes YOU happy. Enjoy the ride. :beer:

Fixed
02-19-2011, 04:57 AM
well i am ready to go loading was a problem , with the cargo today so i took the geared bike cos it was easier to get the back wheel on and off . had to make make room for penny and mrs fixed .
thanks guys
cheers

Fixed
02-19-2011, 03:01 PM
i had a really good time and i rode with 2 great guys eric and mike ( they are forum member what would you expect) and their bikes were stunning some of the nicest steel serottas i have ever seen up close
.the ride was supposed to start at 8 but we were told when we got there 60 miles would be leaving at 9 :00 am 30 miles 9:30 and my ride at 10:00. well mrs fixed didn't want wait 2 hours and then another hour for me to ride . eric offered to give me a lift, so my ride was saved thank you eric .
the 3 of us left together on a days ride that can only be described as really a gift from god . the most beautiful day anyone could ask for. we rode for just shy of 30 miles more than i thought i could at this time , at the half way point i think eric knew i was getting tired and asked if we wanted to keep going i was embarrassed when i said i think i have had enough even though eric who is in great shape and looked like was just getting warmed up said ok and we headed back. on the way back mike and i had a nice conversation and found out we had a lot in common .mike kept giving me pep talks to help keep me riding , i did and we made it back . once back there was an animal fair going one really cool event and i think i
made 2 really cool friends today thanks eric and mike
cheers

SEABREEZE
02-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Glad to hear you had a dog gone good time !!!

ericspin
02-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Just wanted to tag on here and echo Fixed's comments about the beautiful day/ride we had yesterday. Perfect weather. Good crowd to ride with. Our route took us over some of the famous Florida beach climbs better known as bridges. We crossed two tall Intercoastal bridges with spectacular panoramic views. I do love riding at the beach.

Also wanted to say how nice it was to meet Butch and ride together for awhile. True, yesterday was no hammerfest but maybe that doesn't have to be the focus of every ride. This ride was more about fellowship, recovery and strengthening. While the horses in my head were saying _jam on it_, clearly we did exactly the ride we were supposed to do. Our man, Butch, may have more in those legs than reported. At one point as we started to climb one of the rather long bridges I couldn't stand it anymore and grabbed a few bigger gears, stood up and hammered it out. Only to turn around and see who but Butch on my wheel. Cool. My buddy Mike is still working back from his bilateral knee replacement and has the presence of mind to take it easy and spin. In the post ride cock and bull session we discussed the parameters of ride lengths and the definition of a big ride worthy of chest pumping. I think we may have all been full of shi......errrrr, I mean full of ourselves.

Always fun to connect with someone from the forums in person. I form notions of people from their posts and forget that sometime that is nothing more than an electronic persona. Butch was as genuine in the flesh as he is online and I sense that we may have formed a friendship that will lead to more rides like this and more fellowshipping.

We had one of the riders snap a photo of us that I will post later as I want to get out the door right now and back into some of this glorious weather we have right now. It truly reflects the fun we were having yesterday. Bravo Serotta forum. Nothing better than riding and talking with friends.

Ken Robb
02-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Glad to hear you had a dog gone good time !!!

Now that's funny! :beer:

AngryScientist
02-20-2011, 10:04 AM
good ride and report guys. glad everyone had a good day.

+1 on not every ride having to be a hammerfest.

Fixed
02-20-2011, 03:56 PM
penny had a bath after my ride she says hi my dad rode 4 the animals
cheers

Ken Robb
02-20-2011, 06:13 PM
How have I missed seeing Penny before?

Fixed
02-20-2011, 06:37 PM
we got her a couple of weeks ago form someone who kept her in the backyard her whole life our vet knew about her . now she goes everywhere with me runs the house sleeps in our bed is laying near me on the couch right now
cheers

Ken Robb
02-20-2011, 10:35 PM
yep, I missed that info--congrats on the new member of the family.

AngryScientist
02-21-2011, 06:57 AM
we got her a couple of weeks ago form someone who kept her in the backyard her whole life our vet knew about her . now she goes everywhere with me runs the house sleeps in our bed is laying near me on the couch right now
cheers

you're a good man fixed, i think you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat animals.