PDA

View Full Version : Mercian

majorpat
02-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Anybody have experience with a Mercian? Seems like a pretty cool audax frame/fork for around $1000 shipped to the US. Just wonder if anyone can shed some light on them. Thanks, folks.

Pat

michael white
02-17-2011, 06:04 PM
I've been working the hell out of their website. That thing is really cool. Lots of people who own them seem to be thrilled, even though the cachet level has never been all that high in the US (not a consideration for me). A friend of mine bought one, loves it, bought another, loves it as well.

I think I'm going to get one to compensate for a fancy bike that I doubt I'll ever get (I have had all the parts, even the bar tape etc, for years) from a custom builder who has been discussed here before.

maximus
02-17-2011, 08:12 PM
I ordered a Mercian Super Vigorelli last March, received it in October, and just built it up over the winter. I wanted an affordable, lugged track frame and after a ton of waiting around for a good deal on a worthy, used one to pop up in my size, I ordered the Vigorelli - much to the persuasion of a friend who had been riding one for years.

Overall, I am very happy with the frame. It is well built and the finish is just brilliant. The bike is definitely made to last. I have put about 150 miles on it and the more I ride it, the more I fall in love with it. It is just a no nonsense - classic machine.

The turnaround time was about 7 months. Grant, their shop manager, helped me dial in my size. I went with their stock angles and stuck with the base Reynolds 631 offering. Fit and ride is just what I wanted. They were able to do a flat crown fork, chroming the fork and the track ends - just a few custom bits that I wanted.

In hindsight, I do feel a bit guilty for not shopping around more for a similar priced American builder. Maybe one with more knowledge would know better, but I could not find a quality, lugged track frame in the same price range. I think a skilled American builder can bring you a level of craftsmenship and service that you will not find with Mercian. I think if you want something truly bespoke, you are better going with a builder who will invest more time in understanding your unique needs and building you a true work of art.

All of that said, I think the value is spot on - but the quality is just not what you will see at this years NAHMBS. As with most things, you get what you pay for... ;)

Feel free to PM if you have a more specific question about my experience.

ultraman6970
02-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Wanna trade it for tubular rims? :P

rodcad
02-17-2011, 08:31 PM
I have 2 Mercian's both Vincitore's. I bought a King of Mercia first. Arrived and I hated it. Lugs points were "off". Just horrible to my eye. I have pic's somewhere. Sent the frame back and they made me a Vincitore. All was great with this frame and 2 years later I ordered it's twin only for fixed gear use. Love them both. When I had mine built around 2003 and 2005 they had 2 builders. Initial frame was built by the other guy, Vincitore's by Derek Land. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but would make sure Derek built it.

DRietz
02-17-2011, 10:41 PM
I have a Mercian from 1975.

They were great bikes even back then. It has so much character, wouldn't trade it for any other vintage bike of its time.

FlashUNC
02-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Along those lines, another one to consider may be Bob Jackson if you're in the market for something British and steel.

majorpat
02-18-2011, 09:07 AM
I've checked out the Bob Jackson site as well and am interested in them, too. A guy who works at my local shop has one from the early 80's. Again, can anyone give any recent feedback on Jackson? Seems like a pretty good deal.

Pat

witcombusa
02-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Nice frames for the money...
This is my build of a 2005 Semi custom Audax

gdw
02-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Dave Yates is another option.
http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/#
His Audax frames start at around $1200.
http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/custom_bike_frames-Audax_Frames-26.php

bigbill
02-18-2011, 09:22 PM
My first real road bike was a 531c KOM. It rode great and now it hangs on the wall in my bike room. The paint was pretty but not very durable.

Doug Fattic
02-19-2011, 07:56 AM
If I wasn't already a framebuilder and was looking to buy a frame made in the UK, I would buy it at Ellis-Briggs in Shipley, West Yorkshire. This town is located very near Bradford which is a sister city to Leeds. It is 200 miles straight north of London. Andrew is their framebuilder. He was a young framebuilder when I was apprenticing at E-B back in 1975. I suggested them to a Classic Rendezvous member that wanted to also buy a audax and he was really happy with the results.

Before and after I apprenticed at Ellis-Briggs I visited just about every frame shop in England including Mercian and Bob Jackson. Most of those guys have long retired or passed away. However the reason I chose to go to E-B was that I could see they took longer with nicer equipment to make their frames. I have always felt beyond fortunate they accepted me to learn there. At the time, Jack Briggs was the master builder who started in 1938 and he learned from his father. One of the reasons they can make nicer frames is because their frame department is just part of a larger bike shop. They aren’t dependant on the sales of frames to make a living and therefore don’t rush the job.

This brings us to the subject that British frames aren’t built to the same standards as American frames. Their bike culture and customer base are very different from the States. They used to market bike frames to the working class that didn’t have a lot of money to spend. I was shocked at how little people made when I was there. None of the workers at E-B owned cars. I was a high school teacher at the time and made under $10,000 a year myself. A typical British frame is made in a day or less with relatively little equipment. Andrew and I would take 3 or 4 days to make one frame working together. American builders have a great deal more equipment to insure accuracy and spend more time fussing with details. There is a much higher standard of what is acceptable here. Of course for those on a tighter budget a British made frame is the right answer.

Ellis-Briggs used to paint frames on the premises (so I learned those principles there too) but the cost of environmental regulations eventually made them switch to using Bob Jackson’s in Leeds are their painter.

AngryScientist
02-19-2011, 08:33 AM
I ordered a Mercian Super Vigorelli last March...[snip]

i love track bikes, how about a picture?

maximus
02-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Will post up pics very soon =)

picstloup
02-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Anybody have experience with a Mercian? Seems like a pretty cool audax frame/fork for around $1000 shipped to the US. Just wonder if anyone can shed some light on them. Thanks, folks.

Pat

Bought it via Bicycle Habitat in Manhattan, NY from Hal. Not sure if they are still importing them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/morristaub/5478922731/
I tried to attach the photo directly, it's on flickr, but couldn't figure out how to do it, so here's a link.

Hal suggested the thicker seat stays, so that's what I went with. Overall it's a very comfortable bike. Handles well, even on twisty descents. Have not ridden it loaded or anything like that with bags and stuff. Just occasionally a bag on the bars. Mostly bought it for a winter ride. It has room enough for 28mm tires and fenders. Only things I'd say negative about it, it doesn't handle as well as say my old, now sold, Colnago C40 did in the corners. How I've got it set up, it's not a light bike. The paint job is nice, but not perfect. One or two slight bumps near edges of lugs, not perfectly smoothed out before paint which is a shame. But not a big deal.

cnighbor1
02-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Stones Cyclery
2320 SANTA CLARA AVE. ALAMEDA, CA 94501 TEL. 510.523.3264
Sells Mercian, waterfords, and other great stell lugged frames Mercianstart around $775 up
A very neat shop to visit has he has great old bike on display and for sale Eisentraut for one on display
<http://www.stonescyclery.com/>
Charles

cnighbor1
02-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Worth going to web site and veiwing
Charles
<http://www.stonescyclery.com/gallery.html>

thinpin
02-26-2011, 05:21 PM
This brings us to the subject that British frames aren’t built to the same standards as American frames. Their bike culture and customer base are very different from the States. They used to market bike frames to the working class that didn’t have a lot of money to spend. I was shocked at how little people made when I was there. None of the workers at E-B owned cars. I was a high school teacher at the time and made under $10,000 a year myself. A typical British frame is made in a day or less with relatively little equipment. Andrew and I would take 3 or 4 days to make one frame working together. American builders have a great deal more equipment to insure accuracy and spend more time fussing with details. There is a much higher standard of what is acceptable here. Of course for those on a tighter budget a British made frame is the right answer.

Doug is right on the money here. As a young lad racing in Ireland in the 80's, money was hard to come by. Anyone needing or wanting a custom (or stock) frame would do very well buying from mecian, jackson, lloyd etc. You got a well built no nonsense frame that did its job very well indeed. Only the fancy rich dudes were riding italian stuff and while we lusted after it few could ever afford it. Roads were appaling back then and the frames took, and survived, dogs abuse, often covered in grime and cow????e (like the rider). I would consider the frame the "journey men" of frame building then.

zennmotion
02-26-2011, 06:21 PM
If I wasn't already a framebuilder and was looking to buy a frame made in the UK, I would buy it at ...

And I would trade ANY steel frame made in the UK (or Italy or the US) for something out of Doug's shop. I roll with a crowd of overpaid dentists and lawyers, lots of chi-chi handmade bikes and I've done the NAHBS pilgrammage a couple of times. I've only been lucky enough to see one Fattic frame, on an event ride with hundreds of riders, nestled in the grass at a rest stop. I never met the owner, but the bike was stunning, absolutely exactly my version of a perfect steel road bike. It was 4 years ago, and I didn't even care much for the wine color (stunning paint, just not my choice). I still remember it like yesterday, and given that I get whiplash every time I see any bike, that says something. Anyway, it looked much nicer than a Mercian (and I used to ride a nice Mercian back in the day)

maximus
02-26-2011, 08:17 PM
i love track bikes, how about a picture?

Couple shots of my Mercian Super Vigorelli in front of the White House. The other is my friends. His was built in 2006.

As has been said - no nonsense, well built frames. :beer: