PDA

View Full Version : OT - Roku Boxes?

slowandsteady
02-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Anyone give up their Cable and get a Roku box? What are your thoughts and experience so far? i am SERIOUSLY considering this option instead of paying a hundred gazillion dollars a month for Comcast TV, HBO, On-Demand etc.

rugbysecondrow
02-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Anyone give up their Cable and get a Roku box? What are your thoughts and experience so far? i am SERIOUSLY considering this option instead of paying a hundred gazillion dollars a month for Comcast TV, HBO, On-Demand etc.

I got it for my technologically stunted parents and they love it. I use my Wi to stream from netflix and I like that. It is great to watch lots of movies, shows and documentaries. I am not certain if the Ruku will allow use of Hulu or other streaming, but I would go for it.

alexstar
02-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I cut the cable 6 months ago. I don't watch a lot of TV, but instead use my XBox and stream Netflix through it. Netflix has a lot of TV shows available.
In addition, a lot of networks are making their TV shows available online.

In conclusion, I'm very happy with my decision to ditch cable. I don't have any experience with Roku, though.

rugbysecondrow
02-17-2011, 12:09 PM

I will say I have not cut the cord because of sports. If it were just about shows and movies, I would have cut the cord.

AngryScientist
02-17-2011, 12:12 PM
i love my Roku, it gets primarily used for Pandora, internet radio, which i use almost constantly.

netflix is really ramping up there online movie collection, but it isnt really great yet.. if it werent for my wife, i would cut the cord in a heartbeat at this point.

gone
02-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Be aware that you need a pretty good (fast) broadband connection. I have a Roku box that I used with a cable broadband connection and it worked pretty well. Now I live in the sticks and the only internet is satellite and it just doesn't have the bandwidth, even at 2 AM, to do anything other than fairly low-rez. I called Netflix about it to see if there was something I could do like increase buffer sizes, etc., and the response was "we stream, we don't buffer".

Liked it when it worked but can't use it anymore.

srice
02-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Hey ghsmith - wanna sell me that useless Roku box? I just had a conversation last night about dropping the DVD by mail section of Netflix and going to streaming only.

BillG
02-17-2011, 12:59 PM
ROKU boxes are great, I have two (one which streams to a monitor in front of my bike trainer). They do stream Hulu -- which is essential because the Criterion Collection has moved to Hulu from Netflix.

crownjewelwl
02-17-2011, 01:31 PM
rewinding and fast forwarding kinda stinks.