PDA

View Full Version : OT: Carbon Fiber Lube for Kayak Paddle?

Don49
02-16-2011, 08:56 PM
This is sort of the inverse situation to a CF seatpost slipping. I have a CF kayak paddle that splits in the middle at a CF to CF sleeve. The fit is very snug and tends to seize up making the paddle almost impossible to separate.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a carbon fiber safe lube that will allow that joint to slip apart. Any ideas?

Thanks.

DRietz
02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Slightly sand the female end until you have a stable, but separate-able fit?

HenryA
02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Sex Wax will help or any other wax -- rub a candle on it.

Before anyone gets all hot and bothered Sex Wax is used on the shaft of paddles to help you grip in the wet. Also on surfboards. Its a brand name.

Just don't use too much or you'll go blind.

mpetry
02-16-2011, 09:51 PM
don't use grease. Grease will attract sand and that's bad.

I just spit on mine (Werner bent shaft). And I use it in salt water.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

C40_guy
04-27-2022, 07:24 AM
Resurrecting this thread as I bought a Gearlabs Kalleq greenland paddle yesterday. I also have a carbon fiber Werner Camano. (Yea, N+1 is a thing in the kayaking world too).

Someone recommended Loon Outdoors Graffitolin Ferrule Wax for the paddle joint. Before I start gumming up my new paddle, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience here.

Thanks!

buddybikes
04-27-2022, 07:33 AM
I've used ski wax, something have in stock...

C40_guy
04-27-2022, 07:41 AM
The ferrule wax is described as sticky. I'm not sure why sticky is good...maybe some carnauba paste wax or marine hull wax would work...

I *think* the goal is to keep the two parts from sticking to one another...

SlowPokePete
04-27-2022, 07:43 AM
I just spit on mine

The original lube :banana:

SPP

HenryA
04-27-2022, 07:51 AM
https://www.sexwax.com/history/

You need this for paddling anyway. Your paddle handling will improve a bunch and it will work on the ferrule too. Or as I posted years ago, candle wax will work on the ferrule. No special lube needed.

And its a great conversation starter. “Hey there - you want some sex wax for your paddle?”

Gianni Bianchi
04-27-2022, 08:42 AM
Funny I've been using a Werner Corryvreckan for about 9 years and never had an issue with it sticking together.

Nice to know other Paceliners are kayakers as well.

C40_guy
04-27-2022, 09:52 AM
Funny I've been using a Werner Corryvreckan for about 9 years and never had an issue with it sticking together.

Nice to know other Paceliners are kayakers as well.

Never had an issue with the Werner Camano, either. The cheap paddles that go with the rec boats are problematic, though.

I just happened to be reading a review of the Kalleq and someone mentioned that theirs came with a small tube of wax. Mine didn't...

C40_guy
04-27-2022, 09:55 AM
Or as I posted years ago, candle wax will work on the ferrule. No special lube needed.

I use Dial soap on the wooden guides of my vintage oak file cabinet. Might try that.

And its a great conversation starter. “Hey there - you want some sex wax for your paddle?”

Or just leave a couple of packs on the coffee table for guests to notice....and to draw their own conclusions. :)

Gianni Bianchi
04-27-2022, 11:05 AM
Since we're talking kayaks, what does everyone here paddle?

Mrs. Bianchi and I both replaced our old poly boats last year (after a seven month wait, not due to covid but rather that freak snowstorm in texas that rooked the plastic resin industry for a while).

She got a Delta 16 and I got a Delta 17. Gotta say having been in a Perception Essence 17 for 10 years, the Delta 17 feels like a sports car. Tracks well (unlike my Perception) and turns quicker and easier. Also immediately confidence inspiring on big, choppy seas too.

https://clickpix.org/images/jV9UTv.md.jpg (https://clickpix.org/image/jV9UTv)

https://clickpix.org/images/jV95qK.md.jpg (https://clickpix.org/image/jV95qK)

metalheart
04-27-2022, 12:16 PM
I'm switching from a Klepper Aerius ii (folding kayak) to an Eddyline Sandpiper 12, just suits our small lake better. I'm shopping for a paddle for the Sandpiper since the Klepper paddles are not the best fit. Wife paddles an Eddyline Sky 10 and uses a Aquabound Stingray Hybrid paddle. No issues with things sticking, but the Sex Wax seems like a good idea. Long ago I used to use that wax on surf boards....

Tony
04-27-2022, 12:19 PM
Since we're talking kayaks, what does everyone here paddle?

I have several different kayaks, 3 skin on frame and a wooden strip kayak, two carbon fiber and two whitewater kayaks;

Here is a group I helped start several years ago doing mostly Ocean white water kayaking. I use a carbon fiber Greenland paddle.
https://www.youtube.com/user/NeptunesRangers

Soap bar is all one needs to help two piece paddles not stick.

C40_guy
04-27-2022, 12:52 PM
Started with a vintage Current Designs Solstice GTS 5 years ago. Perfect fit for me. I've added a Perception Eclipse and, briefly an Impex Montauk. The Eclipse is an SUV of kayaks, big and stable. The Impex, on the other hand, is a sports car of kayaks, but it proved too tippy for me. I was hoping to like it, but it just didn't feel stable in comparison to my Solstice.

Here's the Solstice on our kettle pond in Sandwich, MA. The pond is about 2.5 miles in circumference, and (mandatory biking content), there's a YMCA camp on the opposite side where a 'cross series is hosted every fall.

reuben
04-27-2022, 03:54 PM
I have a Solstice GT. I think I took it out once or twice last year. Hope to do better this year.

I'd think about picking up an OC Trident 13 for fishing, but they're not making them now, and they won't say whether they plan to make them again when materials are more available, or if this is permanent.

OC (Ocean Kayak) has cut down on the number of yaks they'll sell my local shop, and other manufacturers have done the same. Fiberglass, carbon, rotomolded... pretty much across the board due to material shortages. So they're concentrating on produce a limited line.

I'd pick up a used one if it was relatively close, the latest model, and something like yellow that stands out against the water, but haven't seen anything like that online. Given supply and demand, a used one might cost more than it did when new.

Gianni Bianchi
04-27-2022, 05:21 PM
Given supply and demand, a used one might cost more than it did when new.

when we sold our 10 year old boats last year (my Perception Essence 17 and my wife's Necky Chatham 16), IIRC we paid about $1700 each ten years ago... and we got $1200 for each boat, and buyers were lined up ready to pay if someone else dropped out.

So $500 cost for each boat for 10 years is exceptional value. Thanks Covid.

Johnnysmooth
04-28-2022, 07:07 AM
I have a “vintage” P&H Icefloe. Very stable and loves going straight cutting thru the waves. Really an ocean going cruiser from mid-90s. Supposedly, the fellow who design this yak took it across the North Sea, no easy feat.

My second, more responsive yak is a Tiderace. Beautiful handling yak, fast, turns on a dime and far less wind cocking then the Icefloe.

As each of these are fairly large expedition type kayaks, may unload Icefloe from something a little smaller, nimbler and rotomold for the rock gardens and putting around.

merlinmurph
04-28-2022, 08:29 AM
Here's the Solstice on our kettle pond in Sandwich, MA. The pond is about 2.5 miles in circumference, and (mandatory biking content), there's a YMCA camp on the opposite side where a 'cross series is hosted every fall.

Wait, what?????? Lawrence Pond or Spectacle Lake?
Sorry for the thread drift but I went to camp down there in the 60's and 70's. Didn't know there was a 'cross race. I've been meaning to go ride down there sometime on the gravel bike.

reuben
04-28-2022, 08:35 AM
I read a lot of great things about P&H. None were available in my area, though, so I bought the Solstice GT.

buddybikes
04-28-2022, 08:55 AM
I have a circa 2000 Current Design gulf stream, has seen lots of use, I bought as a rental so not in pretty shape but is rock solid. It hasn't been been put in for a few years, we have 4 other boats. Trying to decide what to do with it, I have queried in past about new jell coat but was not worth it. I may be talked out of keeping it if there is anyone in the MA/RI area looking for something very reasonably priced.

I am yearning for a real lightweight surf ski, we have a 29lb Stellar S14S that is real cool but I would prefer something bit more stable due to severe back issues. I want a v hull. Eddyline makes the design I want, not the weight I want. Any ideas from the paddling community - lightweight sit on top that can handle inner Narragansett Bay.

PS: Want a nice boat built for you, Lincoln, made in Amesbury MA. I have their carbon Chepeague that I love. Nice to do business with.

buddybikes
04-28-2022, 09:05 AM
when we sold our 10 year old boats last year (my Perception Essence 17 and my wife's Necky Chatham 16), IIRC we paid about $1700 each ten years ago... and we got $1200 for each boat, and buyers were lined up ready to pay if someone else dropped out.

So $500 cost for each boat for 10 years is exceptional value. Thanks Covid.

How did you sell it, craigslist or ???

C40_guy
04-28-2022, 09:21 AM
Wait, what?????? Lawrence Pond or Spectacle Lake?
Sorry for the thread drift but I went to camp down there in the 60's and 70's. Didn't know there was a 'cross race. I've been meaning to go ride down there sometime on the gravel bike.

Yep, that's Lawrence Pond. The Y Camp is on the far side, which is where a variety of 'cross races have been held over the years, usually late fall...

Bring the gravel bike (or mountain bike) and ride WBCA. WBCA has some great single track! Check the Cape Cod NEMBA page for more information, or to join an organized ride.

I am blessed to live 1/4th mile from its 1,100 acres!

C40_guy
04-28-2022, 09:22 AM

I just sold an Impex Montauk on CL for $1,200. Really wanted to like that boat, but it was just a bit too tippy for me, as compared to the CD.

gomango
04-28-2022, 04:35 PM
Two Nigel Dennis kayaks, an Explorer and a Latitude up at the cabin on the edge of the BWCA. We have sixty miles of connecting water to choose from near Ely, MN.

Also, two Jacksons. A 13.5 Kraken and a Mayfly. Both sit on top kayaks. We fish and bird out of these. Both are super stable and we fly fish for Steelhead/Rainbows, Coho salmon, Muskies and Smallies. Easy to stand up and cast out of these boats. Plenty of storage and easy to tow on our Malone trailer. Definitely not car top boats. imho

Our paddles are Werner Camano and Bending Branches Angler Pro models.

Can't wait for ice out. It's late.

Gianni Bianchi
04-28-2022, 04:57 PM

Kijiji for the win!