PDA

View Full Version : OT: Running shoes

Secosera
02-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for some durable running shoes? I've always just did my running in old sneakers or boots but I'm doing it enough now that a good pair of running shoes would probably be a smart investment. Thanks in advance!

Sean

rugbysecondrow
02-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for some durable running shoes? I've always just did my running in old sneakers or boots but I'm doing it enough now that a good pair of running shoes would probably be a smart investment. Thanks in advance!

Sean

I would go to a great running store and get fitted, it is worth it in the same way a bike fitting is worth it. They will assess your gait, stride, how your feet come into contact with the ground etc. They prices are typically not much, if any, more than other retail stores.

Enjoy, running is a lot of fun.

Volant
02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Run barefoot. Seriously. If that's too much of a stretch, then follow the earlier advice and get your gait analyzed. At least it will point you in the direction that marketers think you should go.
You asked about durability. Any shoe with a good carbon-rubber outsole should hold up well to abrasion (depending on durometer). The midsole is what breaks down the quickest. It's also here that everyone tries to distinguish themselves with their "technologies". If you over-pronate, something to help slow the rate of pronation might help. But, if you don't have foot/joint running issues, a neutral shoe should do just fine. Or, as I stated at the onset, run barefoot. It'll teach you a whole new way of running (how you were designed to run - light on the feet and a mid-forefoot landing).

Everyone has shoes they like. I'd recommend looking into the Asics or Brooks lines. I've been a wear-tester for both, along with Mizuno, Saucony and New Balance. They all make good running shoes.

Fixed
02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I would go to a great running store and get fitted, it is worth it in the same way a bike fitting is worth it. They will assess your gait, stride, how your feet come into contact with the ground etc. They prices are typically not much, if any, more than other retail stores.

Enjoy, running is a lot of fun.
+1
i am always reminded of what a friend used to say running is for guys that don't own a bike
i try to run a little when i walk my dog after my bike ride every day
cheers

Secosera
02-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Looks like I'll be heading to the local Tri shop since it appears they do fittings for running and cycling. Maybe they can help me find my TT position while I'm there...

Sean

old_fat_and_slow
02-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Nike Pegasus works well for me as well as Nike Tri-Ax's and Max-moto's.

Higher-end running shoes tend to come in two different varieties: 1) extra-cushioning, and 2.) extra stability

Cushioning shoes are for people that don't overpronate when they run.

Stability shoes are for those that do overpronate when running. (see this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_type )

If you go to a full-service shoe store to get fitted, take an old pair of your running shoes with you. The staff at the store will want to look at the wear pattern on the bottom of your shoe to determine which type of runner you are, and which type of shoe you need.

Fixed
02-16-2011, 03:12 PM
i like Asics

AngryScientist
02-16-2011, 03:23 PM
in addition, most of the good running shoe manufacturers have "fit guides" on their websites that will get you in the ballpark of what shoes to use. its a good place to start

-marathon runner here

Dlevy05
02-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Get fitted by an MD, because at some point, running will mess up your knees if you don't. If you are told you have options, I would look into a pair of brooks. I'm on my third pair, and they're great.

BryanE
02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
I still run.
Ran 5 miles yesterday.
Don't run barefoot.Please don't.
A recipe for injury.
I have wide feet and can only wear New Balance 883s or
Asics Gel Cumulous.
Everyone has different feet and issues.
That's why you need to go to a proper running store and speak with someone who knows what they are doing.
Do NOT go to MC Sports or any of the "we carry it all" sporting stores to get fitted by somebody that knows nothing about proper fit,gait etc...............
Good luck and stay injury free.
Bryan
did get in a 20 mile bike ride today

gdw
02-16-2011, 05:03 PM
"Get fitted by an MD, because at some point, running will mess up your knees if you don't."
...only on the Serotta forum. ;) Go to a competent running store and ask them what they recommend. Good stores will have you run a few minutes on a treadmill to check your gait and then recommend several models which should work. Choose the model which fits best and have fun.

rice rocket
02-16-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm on the "less cushion the better" boat as well. Running in high stability and high cushion shoes is akin to lifting in a Smith rack, you're just holding yourself back.

The Vibram Five Fingers look a little goofy, but a sprinter shoe like the Nike Free is nice.

Don't go out and run 10 miles and complain of knee pain, work your way up like you would any new endurance sport. And DON'T RUN ON YOUR HEELS!

93legendti
02-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Spira

Johnnyg
02-16-2011, 07:22 PM
K Swiss work for me but do not last very long. Good luck. JG

wc1934
02-16-2011, 07:34 PM
running shoes, like bikes have improved dramatically from years ago - thus even the basic models are acceptable, but not necessarily for you. I am assuming you plan to run on the road as opposed to trail running ( there is a specific shoe for the trails).
The majority of shoes out there will feature either support, cushioning, or stability. What works best for you may depend upon your running style, how you land, and your body mass (e.g. shoes like new balance offer a variety of widths).
I am not very big and land on my forefoot, so asics gt, with gel pads in the front have served me well for years.

Personally, I would suggest that you NOT purchase cheap/inexpensive models, but rather buy something in the $80-$90 range - running is pretty cheap - only the initial outlay is for the shoes, which will last close to a year is the only major expense you will encounter. For 80-90 you can get some nice mid range shoes - I would look at Nike, NB, Asics. Others, in my opinion, such as puma, reebock, brooks, saucony produce acceptable shoes, but in the higher end of their lines.

As with everything, don't overdo it and build up your mileage slowly.

ahumblecycler
02-16-2011, 07:40 PM
After having my gait diagnosed, I went with Pearl Izumi shoes and have never looked back. I need a wider toe box without getting an "E" sizing, and PI fits the bill. I use "Cruise" model.

But I agree with above, get your gait diagnosed!

jghall
02-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Ditto what the others have said. Go to a good runners shop and have them lwatch you run and recommend. You can get very decent shoes in the +/- $80 range.

Most will tell you shoes will last somewhere around 350-500 miles.

I'm partial to New Balance, Brooks, and Saucony.

Volant
02-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Don't run barefoot.Please don't.
A recipe for injury.

I used to run thousands of miles a year (competed in Ultras). Developed an "overuse-injury" (go figure). Dr. said running days are over. Went to the best sports-ortho guy in the area. Asked if I changed anything? I had transitioned into the next model year of a shoe. Long story short; that shoe caused my injury. During rehab, I went back to running barefoot (something I used to do in high school and college). Boy, had my running style changed over the years to accomodate the shoes! My injury went away and I've been injury-free since. Barefoot or 'minimal shoe' may not work for many, but, God developed the perfect interface for being mobile. Why do we think we can 'improve' upon it with 'high heels' (what most running shoes are) that cause us to run in a manner in which we weren't designed (heel striking). The foot was designed to land mid-foot. So, why all the padding in the heel area on running shoes? Think about moving your saddle up an inch and the impact that would have!! YMMV.

beungood
02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I started running regularly a year ago November and had alot of success . But occasionally after runs I started getting ankle pain,sometimes hip or back. I then looked into barefoot style and did alot of reading and attended some clinics and have SLOWLY incoorporated it into my routine after initially going to quickly.

My running comfort level has slowly risen,my stride is more relaxed and I usually have a grin when im running instead of hating it. it's amazing how much the height of running shoes alters your natural running gait. It also causes you to land on your heel with a locked leg and causing many of those knee/hip /back injuries.

after initally adding too much frequency and mileage, I would suggest starting out with Nike Free 3.0 and somewhere along your run take off your shoes and slowly get used to it. Or just a short loop barefoot til you acclimatize yourself. Just avoid running bare on wet asphalt. Ive comfortably ran bare down to 28 degrees. for the winter ive bought Vibram five fingers KSO Treks and picked up a pair of Vibram Five fingers Bikalas. I even managed a 6 miler with rucksack the last two runs..

rice rocket
02-16-2011, 10:04 PM
I live in a city, so barefoot would probably mean lacerations and broken glass in my foot...but I have a pair of Nikes (before the Frees came out) that is their sprinter training shoe.

But yeah, just say no to stability trainers and such!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/business/30shoe.html

Louis
02-16-2011, 10:55 PM
The Vibram Five Fingers look a little goofy

I bought a pair of these for indoor workouts and also use them for rowing. They work very well for both of those jobs. I'm not a runner, so that won't happen, but when it warms up I plan on wearing them to work (office environment) on a Friday just for kicks and to see how many people notice.

BryanE
02-17-2011, 03:57 AM
I used to run thousands of miles a year (competed in Ultras). Developed an "overuse-injury" (go figure). Dr. said running days are over. Went to the best sports-ortho guy in the area. Asked if I changed anything? I had transitioned into the next model year of a shoe. Long story short; that shoe caused my injury. During rehab, I went back to running barefoot (something I used to do in high school and college). Boy, had my running style changed over the years to accomodate the shoes! My injury went away and I've been injury-free since. Barefoot or 'minimal shoe' may not work for many, but, God developed the perfect interface for being mobile. Why do we think we can 'improve' upon it with 'high heels' (what most running shoes are) that cause us to run in a manner in which we weren't designed (heel striking). The foot was designed to land mid-foot. So, why all the padding in the heel area on running shoes? Think about moving your saddle up an inch and the impact that would have!! YMMV.

"May not work for many"
Thanks for agreeing with me.
Bryan

deechee
02-17-2011, 11:59 AM
don't try running barefoot on the treadmill. It burns. That's all I'll say.

Seriously though, go to a good run store and ask them to help you. Even when you find a good running shoe, the stupid companies keep "improving" them so you never know what you get in the next iteration. Its a real pain unless you magically find old stock to buy a ton of. (Did that one year.)