PDA

View Full Version : have i lost my place to ride ?

Fixed
02-15-2011, 07:00 PM
well everyday i go and do laps at a lake (pond) for and hour. i can go there with no traffic and ride nonstop . there are walkers there and i go about 15 miles an hour . well today this big heavy set old woman is walking and she heads right for me on purpose. i can still turn a bike so i move out of her way she starts yelling about this isn't a race track and there are walkers and children here and the speed limit is 25 . i didn't want to get to a pissing match with her and told her i have a legal right to ride on a city street and i am not going over the speed limit if she would like she could call the police .the police have seen me there many times and i always wave and they wave back .
i will say today i was in a bike kit on my cannondale .not my fixed gear and cargo shorts bike jersey outfit yes today i may have looked more like a cyclist than normal . after i get it into her head that i had a legal right to ride on the road
she says legal but not moral .. i really don't like to upset anyone now so what do i do ?
cheers

DRietz
02-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Keep riding there - it's just as selfish of her to think that she can boss you around as it is for cyclists to seemingly "take over" (which you're not even doing).

It's a non-issue. I typically just ride away from people like that.

You should have brought up the ethical issues regarding her slowly killing off the human race every time she starts up the ol' gas guzzler. Yeesh. :crap:

By the way, I got your caps. You freaking rock, Butch.

rice rocket
02-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Ride with GPS in case things get nasty. And if all fails, tranquilizer darts. ;)

FlashUNC
02-15-2011, 07:15 PM
She can sit and spin...

Just wave and go about your business.

Fixed
02-15-2011, 07:16 PM
thanks
cheers
i know it sounds weird to ride such a short course
a couple of years ago i never would have thought of riding a place like that ,
i have some health issues that limit my riding now . i like a safe place close to home now
cheers

Steve in SLO
02-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Another vote for keep riding...you're keeping it positive while she's trying to make it negative. You handled it perfectly.
Unhappiness doesn't need to be infectious but lots of folks keep tryin'.

Blue Jays
02-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Did you signal her that she is "Number One" in your eyes? ;-)

rwsaunders
02-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Get a tandem and offer to take her for a ride and a stop at the donut shop.

thegunner
02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
there's a reason she's heavy set. keep on riding man.

Fixed
02-15-2011, 07:27 PM
the reason i was one my caad 7 was i stayed up late last night putting a new stem , bars, tape and new tires , you know guys like to try new stuff out .
maybe i should stick to riding my fixed there in more street looking attire
thanks guys cheers

AFS
02-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Just keep riding there and do your best to ignore her.
There is a climb I like doing and a few years back a particular driver would give me the thumbs down sign and sometimes shout at me, could never tell what he was saying. That ride was too nice to for me to stay away, so I kept going and just ignored that driver...eventually he stopped .

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2011, 07:36 PM
F her. Just yell thank you next time.

jtakeda
02-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Continue to ride, I like the tandem idea.

nahtnoj
02-15-2011, 08:38 PM
She is a fundamentally ignorant person. Nothing you can do. Enjoy life.

WickedWheels
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
She's old and heavy set. Just give it some time and the problem will go away on its own.

Ahneida Ride
02-15-2011, 08:56 PM
I say the whole Phorum shows up and rides.

rounder
02-15-2011, 09:10 PM
You did nothing wrong. You should just ride if you like it there and, hopefully, you will never see her again. She has to live with herself every day.

gasman
02-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Just keep riding with your positive attitude. Wave and smile at her but don't stop to talk. You have every right to be there.

ericspin
02-16-2011, 04:48 AM
I'm out of town today but if I was home I would don my most outlandish kit and come ride with you. I mean, what's up with that? Do your thing bro. Your _thing _ doesn't have to be malicious, just your thing. Before you know it I'll bet you'll be stretching out your route anyway.

bikemoore
02-16-2011, 04:55 AM
Try smiling and saying something non-related like "You're right...it IS a beautiful day for a walk!"....and then keep riding. Nothing frustrates aggressive people more than when their aggression doesn't seem to work and they don't even get a decent confrontation out of it.

P.S. If you manage to do this...please let me know how. I always tell myself that this is how I will deal with aggressive motorists or walkers, but the adrenaline rush of riding usually gets the better of me and I wind up lowering myself to their level with some rude comment back.

1centaur
02-16-2011, 05:10 AM
I will never forget what my now long-departed mother said to a rude person in a post office line who was miffed that a woman and a child were somehow slowing her progress:

"Into every life, a little rain must fall."

The rude person was flabbergasted, and harrumphed, but had no comeback.

RPS
02-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Nicely ask her in a rhetorical tone what’s worse, for a bike to hit a child or for a fat old person to trip and fall on them. Then point out that danger abounds in all forms and that it seems unfair of her to single you out. Or something similar to put her on the defensive.

Fixed
02-16-2011, 06:31 AM
i ride there everyday it was the first time i have seen her . i am very careful i don't want to crash either . she is the kind that could go get her car and run me down for the public good in her mind .i am going to thread lightly for a few days . i 'll ride there and up around a surrounding neighborhood and make bigger loop ..
cheers

ti_boi
02-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Another reason to wear headphones. :hello:

ckamp
02-16-2011, 07:23 AM
"big heavy set old woman"

She is just grumpy due to you "being fit and having fun" (bodybreak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SHDDA4mi4U) while she is large and likely dragged out for exercise.

djg
02-16-2011, 07:30 AM
well everyday i go and do laps at a lake (pond) for and hour. i can go there with no traffic and ride nonstop . there are walkers there and i go about 15 miles an hour . well today this big heavy set old woman is walking and she heads right for me on purpose. i can still turn a bike so i move out of her way she starts yelling about this isn't a race track and there are walkers and children here and the speed limit is 25 . i didn't want to get to a pissing match with her and told her i have a legal right to ride on a city street and i am not going over the speed limit if she would like she could call the police .the police have seen me there many times and i always wave and they wave back .
i will say today i was in a bike kit on my cannondale .not my fixed gear and cargo shorts bike jersey outfit yes today i may have looked more like a cyclist than normal . after i get it into her head that i had a legal right to ride on the road
she says legal but not moral .. i really don't like to upset anyone now so what do i do ?
cheers

fixed, were you wearing the full cannondale kit? Because without the shorts, I understand her moral qualms. Gotta worry about the children and all.

You do what you can to smooth things over and be reasonable. It should work more often than not. In the end, it turns out that there are some entirely unreasonable folks in the world. It also turns out that you cannot fix that. Some of those who have issues have issues about bikes.

Wilkinson4
02-16-2011, 07:55 AM
So, over the last few years I have taken to dirt roads and bike paths. When I was a die hard, my right to the road roadie riding a bike path was just not in the cards. But, as I got older and the roads unsafer I started to ride them and I actually liked it!

But man, I think they are more unsafe than the road. And I am not a BPRB (Bike Path Racer Boy) out there. I go within the limit, and just keep a steady pace and really take it in and enjoy the ride.

I would love to see a 'Share the Path' sign posted. It goes both ways. Some tips:

Pedestrians

Look Up. Why do you walk with your head down?
Keep to the right.
Leave the damn IPOD at home and enjoy the sounds.
When I pass and say on your left, that does not mean move to your left.
Keep you dog on a leash.
Keep your children on a leash. Ok, harsh but keep your children close and safe.

Bicyclist

It's not a race. Slow down.
Keep to the right except to pass but do you really need to pass?
Leave the damn IPOD at home and enjoy the sounds.
Say on your left, but approach with caution.
Do not drag your dog behind you on a leash.
Teach your children how to ride on a path, but keep them close and safe.

mIKE

Fixed
02-16-2011, 08:20 AM
UOTE]
QUOTE=djg]fixed, were you wearing the full cannondale kit? Because without the shorts, I understand her moral qualms. Gotta worry about the children and all.

plain red long sleeve jersey plain black bike shorts, black bell. helmet ,,brooklyn cycling cap, rudi projects sunglasses, sidi bike shoes ,giro gloves
nothing wild :)
cheers

Dekonick
02-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Remember the bell curve. You will ALWAYS have someone at either extreme. She is on that far end of the curve and does not represent how most folks feel. You can't let crazy people dictate how to live your life. You made an attempt, bravo. Now, let it go and just ride.

Cheers! :beer:

flickwet
02-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Well padded moving chicanes are Gods way of saying he loves cyclists

biker72
02-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Keep riding. A one mile loop with no traffic is better than nothing at all. If there are walkers anywhere on your route I'm sure SOMEONE will gripe.

I quit yelling"on your left" when a couple walking in front of me jumped over into the left lane. They thought that was what they were supposed to do.
I now yell "passing". That's worked great so far.

bzbvh5
02-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Fixed: Just smile and wave. Discussion will only aggravate the problem.

A friend of mine says: "If you wrestle a pig, you both get dirty and the pig enjoys it".

fogrider
02-17-2011, 01:37 AM
give her a wide berth and greet her some encouraging words. sounds like shes a know it all and since you ride there on a regular basis, shes in your house. just say I ride here all the time and glad to see you here, welcome. don't worry, shes not going to run you off the road with a car...shes afraid of her own shadow, thats why she yelled at you.

troymac
02-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Maybe she needs another donut or other morsel to eat so she can stop complaining to you about riding your bike. I know your in Florida and there is a lot of sand my initial thought was tell he'd to pound some but that doesn't make matters better. Your better off ignoring her. :bike:

Fixed
02-17-2011, 04:48 AM
didn't see her yesterday thanks god
cheers
thanks for the encouragement guys

SEABREEZE
02-17-2011, 08:06 AM
There's always someone out there trying to make your day.Thats why everyone has shoulders, to let it roll right off.

If you treat it like they just gave you the best compliment you ever had, and respond cordially, it fustrates them more that they could not ruffle your feathers...

William
02-17-2011, 08:37 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/waveom9_smile_and_wave_boys_just_smile_and_wave_ts hirt-p2353706878212733969eei_400.jpg

djg21
02-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Maybe she needs another donut or other morsel to eat so she can stop complaining to you about riding your bike. I know your in Florida and there is a lot of sand my initial thought was tell he'd to pound some but that doesn't make matters better. Your better off ignoring her. :bike:

I was going to recommend carrying a donut in your jersey pocket. If the woman accosts you again, show her the donut, and then throw it away from the road (and not at her). While the woman is chasing the donut, get on your bike and ride away.

Fixed
02-17-2011, 09:27 AM
it is really funny if you could have this old lady trying stop me from riding .
walking right at me she looks like doc martin's aunt from the brit .t.v. show
cheers