PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 Speed Groups

FixedNotBroken
02-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I am building a rain/training bike for the bad weather so I don't have to ride my super nice bike in it. I am looking to buy a Campy 10 speed group but looking to get it on the cheaper end. Are there any websites other than UK sites that have decent pricing? I am sure there has been a thread on this..sorry if there already was ahead of time.

thegunner
02-15-2011, 02:54 PM
I am building a rain/training bike for the bad weather so I don't have to ride my super nice bike in it. I am looking to buy a Campy 10 speed group but looking to get it on the cheaper end. Are there any websites other than UK sites that have decent pricing? I am sure there has been a thread on this..sorry if there already was ahead of time.

ribble... although my order took well over 2 months to arrive. their shipping should be sorted out by now. i'm guessing xenon would be super cheap on their site.

AngryScientist
02-15-2011, 03:03 PM
+1 on the Ribble recommendation, i got stuff last week that took a little over a week to arrive, so it looks like their shipping is sorted out.

oliver1850
02-15-2011, 03:07 PM

buldogge
02-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Ben (Velomine) is good people BTW...

-Mark in St. Louis

Velo Mine has a 2010 Centaur group with 2011 levers on sale for $699. They are also matching PBK's price on Chorus. As I understand it, you won't have a warranty from UK sellers, but you will from Velo Mine.

I have seen the Xenon levers on ebay for about the same price as Ribble, but can't remember if they were 9 or 10.

akelman
02-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Ben (Velomine) is good people BTW...

Absolutely right. And if you call him directly, he'll almost always find a way to work with you on pricing.

Ahneida Ride
02-15-2011, 04:07 PM
I have 2002 original Record 10 speed. Love it.
No compelling reason to update.

FixedNotBroken
02-15-2011, 04:31 PM
I would love to find some used 10 speed gear on here that it's decent condition for the right price! If I don't have to I don't want to buy it from the UK though..it took over a month to get the last item!

Ralph
02-15-2011, 04:36 PM
New Veloce group more than adequate. No snob appeal, but it works as reliable as high end stuff. Same nice levers, etc. I personally don't care that you can't dump the cassette with one push with new 10 speed stuff.

On one of my bikes, a Campy 9 speed, I'm using Mirage 9 Ergo shifters (not escape). They shift just as well as older Record shifters I've had in past. Same hoods. Same internals except maybe bushing (shrug) instead of bearings. No loss of reliability. I just spray some lithium grease in there occasionally.

Any problems with lower end groups is more in our minds, than reality.

tuxbailey
02-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Have you checked the classified here? There is a 2007 Centaur group on sale...

FixedNotBroken
02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
I am looking for 170mm arms, not 175. Those are a bit big.

mpetry
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
if you keep a lookout on eboy you can find most everything you need, some new some used, very reasonably priced.

A hint from the rainy pacific northwest - Don't cut corners on the fenders. Get fenders with full coverage - they really reduce the crud flung into driveline.

And a cut waterbottle on the bottom of the front fender keeps your feet clean.

I have 3 front derailleurs in various configurations if you are interested.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Marcusaurelius
02-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I ordered parts from Ribble a week ago and it took about 5 days to arrive. The only part I don't like about the new veloce is the plastic in the shifters, the older models had both brake and ergo lever in alloy.

handsomerob
02-15-2011, 11:21 PM
I would love to find some used 10 speed gear on here that it's decent condition for the right price! If I don't have to I don't want to buy it from the UK though..it took over a month to get the last item!

I have a pm in to the guy selling the Centaur bits... if I am first in line then I will have some 10 speed Xenon parts (although I may need the brakes) that are near new to off load. crankset is a 50/34 170mm. probably in the $200 shipped range for the lot if it all comes together.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii178/sglservingfriend/Carrera%20frameset/IMG_0600.jpg

FixedNotBroken
02-16-2011, 04:15 PM
I have a pm in to the guy selling the Centaur bits... if I am first in line then I will have some 10 speed Xenon parts (although I may need the brakes) that are near new to off load. crankset is a 50/34 170mm. probably in the $200 shipped range for the lot if it all comes together.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii178/sglservingfriend/Carrera%20frameset/IMG_0600.jpg

$200 for everything including the chain and brakes? Or is that price without the brakes? Thanks.

handsomerob
02-17-2011, 04:49 PM
$200 for everything including the chain and brakes? Or is that price without the brakes? Thanks.

I didn't move fast enough on the centaur bits. Can't sell now.

Marz
02-17-2011, 07:16 PM
if you keep a lookout on eboy you can find most everything you need, some new some used, very reasonably priced.

A hint from the rainy pacific northwest - Don't cut corners on the fenders. Get fenders with full coverage - they really reduce the crud flung into driveline.

And a cut waterbottle on the bottom of the front fender keeps your feet clean.

I have 3 front derailleurs in various configurations if you are interested.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Amen on full mudguards. Changed my life-now I welcome rainy days!

If you can't get clearance (race bike?), install 'Reacharounds' from River City Cycles in Portland, Oregon. $15USD. I'm in Australia, and got a kind forumite from RBR to get them and ship them to me. Great community here and on the other sites.

FixedNotBroken
02-18-2011, 01:57 AM
Amen on full mudguards. Changed my life-now I welcome rainy days!

If you can't get clearance (race bike?), install 'Reacharounds' from River City Cycles in Portland, Oregon. $15USD. I'm in Australia, and got a kind forumite from RBR to get them and ship them to me. Great community here and on the other sites.

I am just building a bike for bad weather days. Not necessarily pouring down rain but just crappy days where the roads are wet and it's not dry and sunny. I will keep the look out on here and on eBay or I might just look at complete bikes with the bits on them. I'll be on the look out!

Marz
02-18-2011, 04:45 AM
Full mudguards are great on wet roads as you don't get the dirty surface water kicked up onto headset, shoes and everywhere else. I've been out in drizzle and got home reasonably dry because I didn't get water drenching me from being flicked up by the tyres. Highly recomend mudguards for a cleaner bike post-wet road ride.