PDA

View Full Version : Silca Super Pista...

rice rocket
02-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Most overhyped pump ever?

Just received mine in the mail from the Bonktown deal. Everything seems cheap. Wooden handle is nice, but there's splinters where the shaft meets the handle. The shaft is a little loose in the body, and you can hear the spring bouncing around in there. This thing is built no better than the $15 Wal-Mart special.... On Schraeder, it leaks faster than I can unscrew it (lost about 50 psi unscrewing), on Presta, I need 30mm+ of exposed valve stem to get it to seal properly (which means buying new valve extenders).

Do I have to spend $70 on the Hirame head to make this usable? :rolleyes: If that's the case, I should just get the cheapest pump body I can and save a little so I can get a decent head...

Steve in SLO
02-15-2011, 10:49 AM
In the old days, it was THE pump to have.
Mine is 30 years old and continues to work well. I occasionally replace the head rubber and that's it. You have to remember these were designed before deep section rims and were meant as press on Presta valve only pumps. Anything designing after has been cobbled together. Engineering is probably pre-WWII. Rising material costs have probably forced use of cheaper parts. If you get a chance, try an old one.
The only downside of mine is that the single foot base means every time I look at it, it falls over.

srice
02-15-2011, 11:04 AM
I've got a Super Pista which is about 15 years old. I wouldn't have anything else. I've replaced the rubber in the head a couple of times and just last year finally replaced the leather washer. It is working as good as new. Just shove the brass head onto the valve stem and pump away. I only use it on presta valves and I only buy tubes with non-threaded valve stems. The threads just chew up the rubber gasket.

crownjewelwl
02-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Most overhyped pump ever?

Just received mine in the mail from the Bonktown deal. Everything seems cheap. Wooden handle is nice, but there's splinters where the shaft meets the handle. The shaft is a little loose in the body, and you can hear the spring bouncing around in there. This thing is built no better than the $15 Wal-Mart special.... On Schraeder, it leaks faster than I can unscrew it (lost about 50 psi unscrewing), on Presta, I need 30mm+ of exposed valve stem to get it to seal properly (which means buying new valve extenders).

Do I have to spend $70 on the Hirame head to make this usable? :rolleyes: If that's the case, I should just get the cheapest pump body I can and save a little so I can get a decent head...

I couldn't deal with mine either. The Lezyne threaded chuck is the way to go

shiftyfixedgear
02-15-2011, 11:34 AM
#1 observation - you DON"T use a Silca on schrader valves. That is just truly bad judgement. It's like drinking red wine with fish. Save the schrader valves for the gas station. Or some cheapo Nashbar pump.

Over 15 years on my current Super Pista. Still works great for me. I've never had an issue with durability at all. Every few years
the leather gasket needs a little grease, and that takes about ten-fifteen whole minutes of time. I did splurge and install a Hirame pumphead. You truly don't know how good it can get until you upgrade to a Hirame. One of the most constantly satisfying cycling investments I've ever made in 30 years of riding.

rice rocket
02-15-2011, 12:38 PM
It sucked so bad on Presta, I figured I'd try removing the adapter and threading it on the Schraeder.

oliver1850
02-15-2011, 01:12 PM

keithreynolds
02-15-2011, 01:14 PM
also a fail on my end. I also thought, hey look this is going to be my next favorite pump.

As said engineered long ago and back then they must not have had threaded stems. Very hard to use with those - I'm not going to swap out all my tubes (road, mtb, cross, cross tubulars).

A lighter person tried the Silka; it was a struggle. Almost needing to leap. I've seen that before, quite funny. Try pumping and leaping with a smooth stem - pop off.

The blue Park was good for a while, but it leaks air somewhere around the pressure gauge.

Blackburns are great (the metal versions) except their dual-duty heads. Many of this kind require some back pressure for the presta side to be activated. Yeah who wants to give CPR to a tube who's been around the block?

next.

Don49
02-15-2011, 01:52 PM
An older (metal base) Super Pista is my main pump. Here's a thread with some background info on the Super Pista. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=82746

Rubeboy
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
I received one from Bonktown too. I'm returning it today.
Mine keeps blowing the leather washer/gasket at 60psi.
I've taken it apart numerous times and greased the gasket, but it continues blowing out.

I'm wondering if the new ones just are not made as well, or if I just got one with a bad leather bit?

Steve in SLO
02-15-2011, 02:13 PM
How to get Silca pumphead off of threaded valve stem:
Unthread the pump head slightly to place less 'squish' pressure on the rubber seal, then pull off.
If that doesn't work, now's your chance to prove that a Sawzall IS a bike tool.

buck-50
02-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Once the chuck is on the valve stem, I love it. Getting it on the valve and then getting it off without shredding a finger, not so much.

keithreynolds
02-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Once the chuck is on the valve stem, I love it. Getting it on the valve and then getting it off without shredding a finger, not so much.

flash backs to taking pedals off and hitting hand on chainring.

sean
02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I will say that the newer pista's do seem a bit "cheaper" in construction than the vintage ones. I've had mind forever and have rebuilt it once, just to give it an overhaul. The only modification I've made is replaced the stock chuck with a Hirame head. It's great and like others stated above- there is no other ROAD pump for me.

mister
02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
i screw the brass on the head just tight enough that the head leaks a little when i'm pumping.
i watch the pressure at the end of each pump stroke...the gauge leaks down a bit between pumps...

then i just give the head a little twist and a light slow pull and it's good to go.
the head works best on smooth stems like on the conti sprinters or steher...
the threaded stems leak a little more but it's no big deal.

rice rocket
02-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I have smooth valve extenders. Still doesn't help me because I bottom out the pump head on the rim before the the valve slides into the head. I already 43mm extenders on 40mm valves. At this rate, I'll need 80mm valve extenders, which is just comically long.

I'll throw it on Craigslist for a week, and if it doesn't sell it's going back.