PDA

View Full Version : Rode my new Waterford

oldpotatoe
02-15-2011, 08:09 AM
AND once again, a couple of things are crystal clear to me. I have owned and ridden recently a Merckx Corsa Extra, a Merckx MXLeader, a Waterford stainless steel, a Moots Vamoots and now a Waterford SR-22 custom. They all fit and all ride really well. No 'aaaahhhhhh' moments, just made the ride really fun, the frame was, once again, there to get me there, disappeared beneath me, the rides were really a joy.

Like somebody said, it isn't about the bike. The object of the ride is the ride, once again.

Fixed
02-15-2011, 08:15 AM
enjoy the ride i bet it is really great can't wait to see the pics
cheers

Pete Serotta
02-15-2011, 08:32 AM
And a trip to Colo sound like a good time :beer: Pete

henrypretz
02-15-2011, 08:40 AM
What fixed said ......

Fixed
02-15-2011, 09:05 AM
And a trip to Colo sound like a good time :beer: Pete
+1
cheers

AngryScientist
02-15-2011, 09:33 AM
as they say "the journey's the thing"

looking forward to pics of the new steed.

buldogge
02-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Deltas in the mountains Pete?...wow.

Looks great...what are the specs?

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
02-15-2011, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=buldogge]Deltas in the mountains Pete?...wow.

Deltas work great if set up right. I've used them for a long time.

'Specs'?

TrueTemper tubing, Henry James dropouts, fork crown, late 80s C-Record group, tubulars....

58cm seat tube, 57cm top tube, 73 degree ST...right at 19 pounds like pictured...

jr59
02-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Deltas in the mountains Pete?...wow.

-Mark in St. Louis

You beat me to it; Deltas, where you live?

skijoring
02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Hey that needs some Ksyriums. ;-)

Nice bike, Peter!

Louis
02-15-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one out there still using DT shifters. :)

Frankwurst
02-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Beautiful Bike. And rest assured Louis your not alone. :beer:

fiamme red
02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Beautiful bike! :beer:

Who built the wheels? ;)

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2011, 12:40 PM
I like it. Very cool.

oldpotatoe
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Beautiful bike! :beer:

Who built the wheels? ;)

I built 'em

http://www.vecchios.com

fiamme red
02-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I built 'em

http://www.vecchios.comJust kidding (hence the smiley). I know you built them. :)

Fixed
02-15-2011, 12:46 PM
i dig your style classic cool
very nice
cheers

buldogge
02-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Just my size...perfect. :)

Enjoy...

-Mark

[QUOTE=buldogge]Deltas in the mountains Pete?...wow.

'Specs'?

TrueTemper tubing, Henry James dropouts, fork crown, late 80s C-Record group, tubulars....

58cm seat tube, 57cm top tube, 73 degree ST...right at 19 pounds like pictured...

Fixed
02-16-2011, 05:35 AM
one of the nicest i seen in a long time perfection my screen saver this week
cheers
the only thing i see i would do different is the crank , i have an older mid 90's campy record silver in a box in new shape if you want it it's yours

soulspinner
02-16-2011, 06:14 AM
AND once again, a couple of things are crystal clear to me. I have owned and ridden recently a Merckx Corsa Extra, a Merckx MXLeader, a Waterford stainless steel, a Moots Vamoots and now a Waterford SR-22 custom. They all fit and all ride really well. No 'aaaahhhhhh' moments, just made the ride really fun, the frame was, once again, there to get me there, disappeared beneath me, the rides were really a joy.

Like somebody said, it isn't about the bike. The object of the ride is the ride, once again.

Love the bike but it deserves a better pic, me thinks. Interested in your opinion on stainless versus this one. Is it discernably better?

dancinkozmo
02-16-2011, 07:55 AM
..very nice !
paintjob reminds me of an 80's gios :banana:

sharkboyrob
02-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Pete -- Great set-up and color! Deltas need to run "wide", correct? IIRC Campy recommended 22mm+ wide rims. In your experience, do you see any significant benefit in using 23mm rims like the HED Belgium with Deltas?

oldpotatoe
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Love the bike but it deserves a better pic, me thinks. Interested in your opinion on stainless versus this one. Is it discernably better?

No difference in terms of ride. 953 doesn't rust but the ride, weight, etc, no difference.

As said on Waterford's web site:

* High Strength
* Corrosion Resistance
* Both weldable and brazeable with air-hardening characteristics
* High elongation for long life and a great ride.
* Customizability
* High quality control

Kinda like their -22 and -33 series.

Frankwurst
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM

If your curios about the difference in the way the bikes ride. Read the above. Sums it up. :beer:

oldpotatoe
02-16-2011, 06:10 PM
If your curios about the difference in the way the bikes ride. Read the above. Sums it up. :beer:

Yup..wish it wasn't so dern windy here tho...

Fixed
02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
please inquiring minds want to know ...
the parts breakdown please
cheers

oldpotatoe
02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Pete -- Great set-up and color! Deltas need to run "wide", correct? IIRC Campy recommended 22mm+ wide rims. In your experience, do you see any significant benefit in using 23mm rims like the HED Belgium with Deltas?

Deltas came with 2 sets of spacers for under the brake holder, wide for 20mm, narrower for 22mm. I use 22mm Campagnolo Delta Xl tubie rims(clinchers are for nancys).

I have ridden A23 but no 'ahhhhh hhhhaaa' moment for me with wider rims. Nice, but I use 100 psi for clinchers and tubies...like said elsewhere, wider clincher rims are NOT 'just like tubulars' in terms of ride.

IOf ya want a 'tubular ride' get tubualrs. Easy to glue on, great ride, safer, blah, blah..less messy than tubeless, better ride.

AND I have had 2 flats in one ride in 27 years riding tubulars so.......

oldpotatoe
02-16-2011, 06:53 PM
please inquiring minds want to know ...
the parts breakdown please
cheers

Well, it's all C-Record..from about 1988/9, including hubs. Campagnolo DeltaXL rims, TTT stem, Merckx bend TTT bar, Chris King HS and Chorus 10s FD(I have a C-Record FD but it works like crap).
50/39 rings, KMC 10s chain, DA 7s freewheel. Ti Campagnolo setapost, Rolls Due saddle. Speedplay Zeros, Conti Sprinters(clinchers are for nancys), Campagnolo toe strap holding the spare tire on, King ti cages, C Record BB, cup and ball..it is SO smooth.

Fixed
02-16-2011, 07:05 PM
cool mix of old and new i like your style
cheers

oldpotatoe
02-17-2011, 07:44 AM
one of the nicest i seen in a long time perfection my screen saver this week
cheers
the only thing i see i would do different is the crank , i have an older mid 90's campy record silver in a box in new shape if you want it it's yours

Old crank, silver, put on taken off over 20 years, finally on too far(dry spindle, 28 ft-lbs)..this was the only one I found that wasn't a zillion $. I would like Century group tho-those are tough to find.