PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Safety Gear, What do you use?

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2011, 06:44 AM
I have been paying more attention to safety lately, especially since my four year old asked if I was going to make it home from one of my rides.

My question is, what safety gear to you regularly use? For me, my typical ride includes:

-Helmet with reflective tape cut and affixed to it
-Reflective strap vest (see below)
-front light and rear light (AA battery powered unless it is a night ride, then I use a higher powered system)
-Helmet attached mirror, although I might have to look for one that works a little better for me.

This doesn't include gear I bring with me such as a pump, cash, phone etc.

What do you guys use?

AngryScientist
02-15-2011, 07:11 AM
i'll usually keep a rear blinkie on, and a helmet, that's about it, generally speaking.

zap
02-15-2011, 07:19 AM
A helmet.

Cycling road sense honed over many years has saved me many times so yes, I break some traffic laws.

Bigger question. As your daughter gets older her peers will question the logic of riding a bicycle on the road thanks to her peers parents.

Scott Shire
02-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Helmet
Gloves
Emergency bag (cash, gel, beef jerky, tube, lever, multitool)
Cell phone
U-Lock - if a buddy has a spill, the last thing I want to worry about is what I'm gonna do with my bike. Also, at 5'6 120lbs, I look REAL small in spandex. A U-Lock is nice to have just in case.
Lights front, rear, and on me or my bag.

a brake (sometimes :o )

Birddog
02-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Add some reflective ankle straps. They're cheap and cars approaching from rear know it's a bike.

Fixed
02-15-2011, 09:18 AM
helmet
sunglasses
id. and insurance card and money
gloves
good cycling shoes
spyderco's dragonfly
my doctors card with phone number
cell phone
cheers
at night light on front one or two on back
but i don't ride at night any longer

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2011, 09:27 AM
helmet
sunglasses
id. and insurance card and money
gloves
good cycling shoes
spyderco's dragonfly
my doctors card with phone number
cell phone
cheers
at night light on front one or two on back
but i don't ride at night any longer

$25 bucks at REI. http://www.rei.com/product/772529

I had wanted something like this for a little while, and this is light weight, easy to put on and does not get in the way. It doesn't inhibit use of the jersey or jacket pockets and I think it will do well in the summer as well. Anyway, worth the money, IMO.

Anyway, I was looking at getting a Bike ID, do folks here use it? I was also just thinking of getting a tattoo with my name and blood type since those two items are permanent. I was thinking just right on my chest above my heart, any thoughts? Like a tattooed dog tag. A simple tatoo like that will cost very little to get done.

FlashUNC
02-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Got a buddy who uses Road ID and I know his wife loves the peace of mind it provides.

Other than that, I've got a rear blinky light and a helmet. I don't ride at night, so the light's more just for overcast days, and whenever I going through an underpass.

Its not explicit safety gear per se, but I do try to wear the brightest, most obnoxious colored clothing I can. I figure if someone's pointing and laughing from inside a car, it means they see me.

I knew a guy who used to ride through some pretty rough neighborhoods in Pittsburgh who carried a Saturday Night Special in a jersey pocket, though that was for a different kind of safety I suppose.

zap
02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
snip

Anyway, I was looking at getting a Bike ID, do folks here use it?

That is a good idea.

For me, someone who is lazy but still wants to go at a decent clip, a vest thingy is useless for all but squirrels who look up when I'm about to run said squirrel over. Like the wind, motorists will not see my torso.

oldpotatoe
02-15-2011, 10:00 AM

I had wanted something like this for a little while, and this is light weight, easy to put on and does not get in the way. It doesn't inhibit use of the jersey or jacket pockets and I think it will do well in the summer as well. Anyway, worth the money, IMO.

Anyway, I was looking at getting a Bike ID, do folks here use it? I was also just thinking of getting a tattoo with my name and blood type since those two items are permanent. I was thinking just right on my chest above my heart, any thoughts? Like a tattooed dog tag. A simple tatoo like that will cost very little to get done.

More than a couple military members tattoo name, SSN, blood type but you ought to put it on your upper arm..That's where they are going to give you an IV, in your arm.

rugbysecondrow
02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
More than a couple military members tattoo name, SSN, blood type but you ought to put it on your upper arm..That's where they are going to give you an IV, in your arm.

Thanks!

goonster
02-15-2011, 10:17 AM
That's where they are going to give you an IV, in your arm.
Yes, but which arm? :confused:

Fixed
02-15-2011, 10:18 AM

thanks
cheers

goonster
02-15-2011, 10:22 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2791/4279010949_ab13c6a2bd.jpg

Steve in SLO
02-15-2011, 10:34 AM
For me:
Helmet
Sunglasses
Viewpoint mirror (inside glasses, invisible)
Dogtag
Cell Phone
Tools
spare masterlink

If on longer remote ride:
Extra water, food
+/-extra clothing

veloduffer
02-15-2011, 10:49 AM
I wear bright colored jerseys and jackets - either red, yellow, orange or hi-viz yellow. Therefore, no need for the belt or vest, as I don't ride at night. I never understood why anyone wear dark colored jerseys, other than looking nice. As a cyclist, I would think that visibility (on the road) would be a priority.

As a precaution, I also avoid riding in the early morning or sunset when the sun can blind drivers. Then it doesn't matter what you wear - just hope you have a shoulder to give you some distance.

When I did ride in the dark for early morning training rides, I wore a reflective vests and enough lights to be a moving Christmas tree.

yashcha
02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Most of the clothing I own seem to be all black, or black with some blue accents.

I have been told on a couple of group rides that here in Northern Ireland, I really have to wear a much more visible kit.

In the past, I would have never worn a bright yellow vest like this,

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gore-bike-wear/helium-windstopper-vest-ec010589

But now I wear one, and I have reflective tape on my fenders, and also use a bright blinking light.

I realize that the designers of Rapha must be cringing when I wear a high viz vest on top of their winter jersey, but if I don't wear the vest when riding alone, I totally feel naked.

russ46
02-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I've gradually added more kit hoping to increase visibility. Besides helmet & road id, I've started using my superflash during the day if not riding with a group & I've also started using a AA powered headlight on flasher when my night lights are removed. I wear a hi-vis jacket & hi-vis jerseys in the summer. My goal is to be as visible as possible because most of my rides are on rural CT back roads with little traffic & drivers who aren't expecting cyclists & who often swing wide on curves. I wish I could find a mirror that would stay in adjustment as vehicles approaching from the rear make me the most nervous.

Ozz
02-15-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most important safety device....just using the grey matter between your ears. ;)

Other than that, I usually just have a helmet (white) and lights (L&M stella or Seca, and a Planet Bike Superflash) if I am riding at night or early morning. Most of my kits are from Exte Ondo, who are really generous with putting reflective patches on their clothes...

Most important is still riding smart and being aware of what is going on around you.

:)

:beer:

Tom
02-15-2011, 12:03 PM
A rubber.

bzbvh5
02-15-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most important safety device....just using the grey matter between your ears. ;)

I agree that is the best thing to use. I also found anything out of the ordinary gets a drivers attention. When I put a Santa Hat on my helmet in December, I seem to get more clearance from the cars. Also, fat guy in the bright pink jersey is an attention grabber as well.

bzbvh5
02-15-2011, 12:07 PM
A rubber.
So that's what they mean when they say: "Keep the rubber side down".

jonnyBgood
02-15-2011, 12:59 PM
I usually ride with a couple friends but I carry the same thing if I'm riding alone or with my friends

Road iD band
Old Drivers License -has all my info as well- and credit card
Cell phone

and of course the usually

Helmet
Sunglasses
and my normal riding gear depending on the weather

Don49
02-15-2011, 02:02 PM
An inexpensive alternative to the Road ID is a military style dog tag like these http://www.dogtagsonline.com/ I had several made up with name, emergency contact info, etc and always wear one on a ride. I prefer having it around my neck rather than on a wrist like the Road ID.

biker72
02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Cell Phone for emergencies.
A few dollars cash. (Emergency tire boot.)
ID
Gloves
Credit card.
Helmet
Some type of rear view mirror.
Medical insurance card.
Bright flashing lights when riding at dusk or when dark.
Tube and inflator.
Ride defensively.

oliver1850
02-15-2011, 03:30 PM

Ahneida Ride
02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Rosary

R2D2
02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
An inexpensive alternative to the Road ID is a military style dog tag like these http://www.dogtagsonline.com/ I had several made up with name, emergency contact info, etc and always wear one on a ride. I prefer having it around my neck rather than on a wrist like the Road ID.

Road ID has dog tags also. Been wearing one for a few years.
My biggest safety gear is a Madonna Del Ghisallo medal blessed by my priest.

Fixed
02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Road ID has dog tags also. Been wearing one for a few years.
My biggest safety gear is a Madonna De Ghisalo medal blessed by my priest.
amen
cheers

northbend
02-15-2011, 07:37 PM

I wear one of these now they are great. Some of my friends gave me a new nickname after a night ride while wearing this.

"TRON"

Bud
02-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Visibility is one thing, and should definitely be taken into account. Bright colors, flashy lights, reflective stuff, etc = all good. But that alone won't keep you safe. At least it doesn't give me the comfort it once used to give me. For myself, the stakes are much higher now (i.e., I don't want to f-up and leave my wife and twin girls). As others have mentioned or alluded to, a keen vigilance and focus is what keeps you safe, especially in potentially hazardous situations.

If you've not read Robert Hurst's The Art of Cycling: A Guide to Bicycling in 21st Century America then you should. I used to think Hurst was a bit too paranoid (and perhaps he is), but there is an important message in his writing. That is, you are the only one that will keep you safe. The more experience I get with cycling, the more I believe this. Although you may not like Hurst's writing style, read it anyway. You will learn some things.

This thread is timely, as this morning I did not have that vigilance and almost f'd up a couple of times. My head was in the clouds, I was just pedaling, and I almost paid a price for my lack of concentration. First, in a deserted area with no cars, I took a corner a bit fast and slid on a nice ribbon of ice. Luckily this ice ribbon was narrow, and my tires grabbed again right away so I didn't even have to put a foot down. Could have been ugly. The second event (in very cycling friendly downtown Denver) almost cost me dearly. In that sketchy interface between sidewalk and street (read: cycling transition from acting like a ped to acting like a car), I jumped off the sidewalk and into the lane when I thought it was clear, only to realize that a very large bus (who had right of way) was merging into that lane. My bad, and lucky I didn't get flattened.

So after making it into the office, and hoping that this was my "day of bad cycling karma" for the year, I chilled out and vowed to wear my Road ID even on my daily commute, not just saving it for the long rides out to nowhere. But most of all, I realized that my own vigilance is the most valuable piece of safety gear I possess. It's up to me to stay safe. Don't loose your concentration, especially in potentially risky situations.

But in addition to that vigilance/concentration:
Helmet
Road ID
High-vis clothing
Lights front and rear (for dusk-dark-dawn and/or fog)
Phone

rugbysecondrow
02-16-2011, 05:16 AM
I agree that riding with sense and smarts will keep you safer than any one piece of equipment. But, as much as I appreciate those suggestions, that was not the point of the thread. I asked this question because while riding this past weekend, I saw quite a few other riders riders, only one had a bright/or reflective vest, no mirrors, and abou 30% had rear lights. I must have looked uber scared to ride since I had all of the above on, but that is what made me wonder how many other folks wore gear.

In addition, with folks starting to put in more miles with the weather turning nicer, I thought having a thread about safety gear might prompt some to consider options.

Bud
02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
I agree that riding with sense and smarts will keep you safer than any one piece of equipment. But, as much as I appreciate those suggestions, that was not the point of the thread.

I sincerely apologize if it seemed that I hijacked the thread. The discussion appeared to be going in that direction (e.g., comment by Ozz), and given my experiences yesterday my narcissistic self wanted to talk about another conception of safety "gear."

Back to the gear discussion. Carry on.

Ozz
02-16-2011, 10:42 AM
... The discussion appeared to be going in that direction (e.g., comment by Ozz),...Back to the gear discussion. Carry on.
no hijack intended by my comment....just thought it needed to be said.

regarding gear....here is my favorite jersey:

Etxe Ondo Vorale Jersey (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/3240U,,2_Etxe-Ondo-Vorale-Cycling-Jersey-Zip-Neck-Short-Sleeve-For-Men.html)

Please note reflective patches that run up sides of jersey, and onto the back. Similar patches are on my EO arm and leg warmers. I also have a pair of EO knickers that the reflective material on them....

Point being, there is plenty of good cycling gear that enhances visibility without the "TRON" effect ( ;) ...that's funny)

Cheers and stay safe.

Dekonick
02-16-2011, 10:48 AM

My future tattoo will be D.N.R

rugbysecondrow
02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
I sincerely apologize if it seemed that I hijacked the thread. The discussion appeared to be going in that direction (e.g., comment by Ozz), and given my experiences yesterday my narcissistic self wanted to talk about another conception of safety "gear."

Back to the gear discussion. Carry on.

No worries, I could see how what I wrote came off as dickish, not intended.

Thanks

RPS
02-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Helmet. If I expect a more dangerous ride maybe gloves to protect hands in case of fall.

Fixed
02-16-2011, 06:07 PM
when i was a messenger i used to view the world as a jungle i was naked and defenseless i had to use my instincts to survive as all the cars and trucks were lions and tigers .. do whatever you have to do to come back to your family .was my motto
17 years of that and i'll probably get whacked by a mad old heavy set woman cos she thinks i am on a race track ..you never know
cheers

KeithS
02-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Helmet
Sunglasses
Gloves
RoadID wrist strap - interactive version
Phone
Bag with multi tool, tube and CO2

Smokes, condoms and a stack of $20's, just kidding. Been married over 20 years, not allowed cash. She who must be obeyed won't let me leave the house without my RoadID. Ever since a couple of unscheduled visits to the cath lab, it makes her more comfortable.

Peter P.
02-16-2011, 10:03 PM
I made my own reflective gear.

I bought this vest from glowdog.com (links on their site don't seem to be working now). It has a mesh pattern of 3M Scotchlite reflective material.
I sewed on the 2" wide reflective strips. They're white on the front, yellow on the back. You can also see in the photo I applied Scotchlite tape to my helmet. The good thing about that tape is you can usually buy a color to match your helmet so it's invisible during the daytime, reducing the dork factor ;-) .
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/2979931192_38f2a21258.jpg

I sewed the 2" wide reflective ankle bands as well. I made two types; the yellow and orange bands are Reflexite (it's also available in white), and the white bands are actually gray or silver in daylight; they're 3M Scotchlite. Both are backed with wool felt.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3622/3554835937_6436ec6e35.jpg

rugbysecondow: I'm really impressed with that reflective vest you have. That's the first time I've seen that design.

Dekonick
02-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Paul - you forgot to mention a slower riding partner. Useful for when wild dogs attack...

:)

FWIW - I do like the reflective 'vest' from REI. And the lights.

gdw
02-17-2011, 02:08 PM
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/CMP/KNC-97950/cmpn/97950/store/MG/item/115371/N/0