PDA

View Full Version : OT Marine advanced sniper training Sierra Nevadas

rwsaunders
02-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Short video clip...no violence.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/14/marines.sniper.training/index.html?hpt=C2

A1CKot
02-14-2011, 08:49 PM
I kind of wish I would have done something a little more challenging and maybe more combat intensive instead of my current job as and aircraft maintainer. The only thing is that most security forces AF members end up just being police with m16 at their base.

Cool none the less. I have a friend deployed as a AF convoy driver and he received a lot more combat oriented training than I did. But my only deployment is to Guam so... I guess its ok :).

majorpat
02-15-2011, 08:03 AM
A1CKot,

Try a battlefield airman job! I spent 14 years active and reserve as a tanker in the USMC, took 5 years off and just transferred to the USAF as a TACP (tactical air control party) officer with an Air National Guard unit. I find it just as fun and challenging as my former life in the USMC. Good luck.

Pat

A1CKot
02-15-2011, 09:38 AM
A1CKot,

Try a battlefield airman job! I spent 14 years active and reserve as a tanker in the USMC, took 5 years off and just transferred to the USAF as a TACP (tactical air control party) officer with an Air National Guard unit. I find it just as fun and challenging as my former life in the USMC. Good luck.

Pat

I remember seeing the TACP guys training in while I was at BMT. That would be a challenge for sure. I'm a year into my 4 year enlistment and am only sure of the same thing I learned in college. I still have no idea what I want to do other than hang out and ride a bike :). I wouldn't mind working at a bike shop again... That was fun and I got all the inside deals.

BobbyJones
02-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I kind of wish I would have done something a little more challenging and maybe more combat intensive instead of my current job as and aircraft maintainer.

Holding back on words as to not make this political, but you've got a much better chance of coming home alive at the end of the day. It may not be "as cool" but it's a heck of a lot smarter.

dogdriver
02-15-2011, 10:50 AM
I kind of wish I would have done something a little more challenging and maybe more combat intensive instead of my current job as and aircraft maintainer.

Getting shot at may seem romantic and create some good stories for the bar, but its REALLY over-rated.

I hate to sound like your dad, but take your maintenance experience, parlay it into an A&P, and make some money with it on the outside if you choose to leave the USAF.

That said, this made me giggle:

dave thompson
02-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Holding back on words as to not make this political, but you've got a much better chance of coming home alive at the end of the day. It may not be "as cool" but it's a heck of a lot smarter.
My wife and I said this to our Marine son. He reminded us that there are folks who feel that being at the pointy end of the spear has its merits and rewards.

oldpotatoe
02-15-2011, 11:01 AM
My wife and I said this to our Marine son. He reminded us that there are folks who feel that being at the pointy end of the spear has its merits and rewards.

All who serve are to congratulated. Remember the military is there to break things and kill people, nothing more. All who serve aid in that endeavor when called upon by the civilian leadership.

-retried USN Phantom Phyler

A1CKot
02-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Getting shot at may seem romantic and create some good stories for the bar, but its REALLY over-rated.

I hate to sound like your dad, but take your maintenance experience, parlay it into an A&P, and make some money with it on the outside if you choose to leave the USAF.

That said, this made me giggle:

I'm more thinking about the travel than the possibility of getting shot at. Some jobs like Load Master, fly with the aircraft and are part of the flight crew. I don't care about the stories but I would like to experience a lot more out of my enlistment.

We had Pratt and Whitney visit our base and pass on some news about upgrades and ask questions about our maintenance practices. I talked with them after the conference and they suggested just about the same thing. Take classes at Embry Riddle, study Aerospace maintenance with a minor in safety and get my A&P. It is do-able but a lot of work. I was in college for 2 year prior to enlisting and am reasonably close to my CCAF so I have that going for me. But who knows if I will stay in or even want to see another aircraft in 3 years...

But for now I enjoy what I am doing but it couldn’t hurt to have a change of scenery… like maybe Europe or Japan

FL_MarkD
02-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks to all that serve.

And what is that Marine Sniper saying? 'Don't run, you will just die tired'.

Mark

dogdriver
02-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Right on, A1CKot-- the best things about the military are the cool stuff you get to do, the cool toys you get to play with, the places you get to be, and the people you work with (not necessarily in that order). You might as well get the best experiences you can!