PDA

View Full Version : Rear light flashing or steady?

toaster
02-14-2011, 07:54 AM
What is the best for safety?

oldpotatoe
02-14-2011, 07:56 AM

Flash and more than one. Most are pretty teeny. I use Blackburn Fleas, one on my helmet, 1 above rear brake, another white flashy back there also.

dekindy
02-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Flash is best for being seen. However steady is best for the car driver to be able to judge distance, how close he is to you.

ahumblecycler
02-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Taking from the above, I keep a flashing light on my helmet and a steady beam on my seatpost.

godfrey1112000
02-14-2011, 08:53 AM
I Flash, but try to avoid riding at night, although, I am doing the Death Valley Double in two weeks, most likely will use on flash one steady

two lights in front and a pocket of batteries,

false_Aest
02-14-2011, 08:55 AM
At least 1 of each.

use rechargeable batteries too.

Blue Jays
02-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Two rearward Planet Bike SuperFlashes for me at night.
Helmet-mounted one is blinking. Seatpost-mounted one is steady.

goonster
02-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Flash is best for attracting attention, steady is best for being seen in the dark.

Flashing lights are very difficult to locate precisely when it is dark, e.g. on a back road without street lighting. There is a reason why flashing lights are not permitted for use on the street in the EU.

I will sometimes set a rear light to flashing in dawn/dusk conditions, to attract drivers' attention when I am still visible once "acquired". I also think that the most important factor for visibility after dark are reflectors on moving parts, e.g. ankle bands and refelctive tape on rims/spokes.

And, for goodness sakes, please do not use flashing lights any time other riders will be on your wheel, i.e. group rides. Having a strobe light in your face is not pleasant.

Bottom line for me: flashing lights are OK only in conjunction with steady lights and lots of reflectors, when you are riding by yourself, or if there is sufficient ambient light such that you are visible outside the beam of a vehicle's headlight.

Birddog
02-14-2011, 09:27 AM
If only one, then a Blinkie is best. Blinkies like the Planet Bike Superflash (highly recommended) cost about $20 and have a pattern where one of the blinks "pops" more than the others. This is a feature you definitely want as it keeps approaching motorists from being mesmerized by steady blinking patterns. It is also helpful in judging distance. Using two is good advice whether both blink or otherwise. If you run one on steady, then keep your batteries fresh.

Mark McM
02-14-2011, 09:32 AM

One of each.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but Massachusetts law requires a steady red tail light when riding a bicycle after dark. However, adding a flashing red light (in addition to the steady light) is not prohibited.

My belief is that the flashing light is better at getting the motorist's initial attention, but once the bicycle has caught the eye of the motorist, the steady light is better for gauging speed and distance of the cyclist, as well as being easier for the motorist to keep an eye on the cyclist.

Black Dog
02-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Planet Bike Super Flash LED Rear Light. This is the best that I have found. It has a super bright strobe effect that cars can not miss.

http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/Products/Cycling/5012670t_v1_m56577569830988601.jpg

buck-50
02-14-2011, 10:13 AM
2 or 3 flashing out of sync are really hard to ignore.

bking
02-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I ride 5 days a week in the winter in the dark (we're the 04:50 group). We all use lights, most all flash. Here in Las Vegas no law regarding flashing lights on bikes.
I have read that sleepy/drunk drivers can actually be drawn to the flash. Still, we flash. I think its easier to pick up by 99.99% of folks on road. Just hope I don't find the .001 drawn to the flash.

toaster
02-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Flash attracts attention for sure, but do you really want a motorist's attention directed at you rather than the motorist being able to simply see the red light and then determine distance and your relative movement?

When I'm driving or riding behind these flashers I feel it attracts my attention first. I'm not sure there is not some basic hypnotic effect going on there.

Imagine all cars running around with flashing tail lights, how distracting would that be?

buck-50
02-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Toaster- that's why 2 or 3 out of sync works- there's no pattern which makes it very hard to ignore.

tuxbailey
02-14-2011, 10:52 AM
One flash one steady, until I lost the steady one this morning.

BumbleBeeDave
02-14-2011, 11:05 AM
2 or 3 flashing out of sync are really hard to ignore.

I have a Vesta mutliple LED light that has a cascade effect setting. I also have a selection of Knog lights that I attach at various points facing backward and I don't see how anybody can miss seeing me.

Ahneida Ride has a Minotte(sp?) tail light that wires into his main light batter yand that thing is super visible even in daylight! :eek:

BBD

anomaly
02-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I Flash, but try to avoid riding at night, although, I am doing the Death Valley Double in two weeks, most likely will use on flash one steady

two lights in front and a pocket of batteries,
You are required to have 2 non-blinking tail lights on DVD.

saab2000
02-14-2011, 11:39 AM
It is my firm belief that most taillights are a total waste of money. One notable exception is the Cateye LD-1100. It has different and random blinking options and a steady option (two rows of LEDs) and is supremely bright. Those little 1-diode wraparound seatpost thingies are worthless from more than a couple hundred feet away. Just sayin'....

Yeah, the Cateye is a bit bulky and not so sleek looking but it's a serious be-seen light too.

The Planet Bike one is bright. So is the Dinotte of course. But don't waste your money on cheap taillights. Spend the extra $20 on a good one if you're serious about your night riding.

Just my $.02......
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1020/5188054356_75e9e4a141_b.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5052/5445757224_c043fd92b3_b.jpg

biker72
02-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Planet Bike Super Flash is one bright flasher. I use the Planet Bike and Serfas TL200 for rear flashers. They flash at different rates.

kramnnim
02-14-2011, 05:25 PM
How are y'all attaching the Superflash to the helmet?

Ahneida Ride
02-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Nothing compares to the DiNotte ...

It's a flame thrower .

Motorist will think you are the Police.
The Police will stop you and ask just where did you get that ....

and great customer service to boot ....
you got a problem .... Rob takes care of it.

Do not Flash a DiNotte at night .... It is too bright.

Ahneida Ride
02-14-2011, 05:48 PM
I have a Vesta mutliple LED light that has a cascade effect setting. I also have a selection of Knog lights that I attach at various points facing backward and I don't see how anybody can miss seeing me.

Ahneida Ride has a Minotte(sp?) tail light that wires into his main light batter yand that thing is super visible even in daylight! :eek:

BBD

It's connected to a 50 lb battery pack which is attached to BBD's bike !
BBD never even notices the pack.

Blue Jays
02-14-2011, 06:05 PM
"...How are y'all attaching the Superflash to the helmet?..."Black plastic zip-tie at rear of helmet allows SuperFlash to slide-on securely or be removed (via the attached clip) in under five seconds.

Ahneida Ride
02-14-2011, 06:25 PM
http://www.illuminatedcycling.com/Fire%20Eye/page17/page17.html

I ordered one of these for a friend ... I was impressed ..
above average quality.

http://www.illuminatedcycling.com/Fire%20Eye/Gallery/files/page9-1014-full.jpg

http://www.illuminatedcycling.com/Fire%20Eye/Gallery/files/page9-1001-full.jpg

Bob Loblaw
02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Here's something to chew on: I'm color blind, and a low-emitting steady state red light means bupkiss to me. Could be an amber shoulder marker reflecting my headlights or the reflection from an animal's eye.

There are lots of color blind drivers out there. Flashing is for sure the way to go to get our attention. A flasher says "bike" in a way that nothing else does.

BL

etu
02-14-2011, 06:46 PM
1+ on the Dinotte

Although we fret over our backlights since we have no control over the motorists behind us, don't the vast majority of accidents occur in front of us? So front lights are at least as important for safety.

Rueda Tropical
02-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Nothing compares to the DiNotte ...

It's a flame thrower .

Motorist will think you are the Police.
The Police will stop you and ask just where did you get that ....

and great customer service to boot ....
you got a problem .... Rob takes care of it.

Do not Flash a DiNotte at night .... It is too bright.

+1 Great company, great products.

avalonracing
02-14-2011, 08:10 PM
I have read that sleepy/drunk drivers can actually be drawn to the flash. Still, we flash. I think its easier to pick up by 99.99% of folks on road. Just hope I don't find the .001 drawn to the flash.

Well, you are in Vegas so it is probably quite true that the drunks are drawn to the flashing lights...

Erik.Lazdins
02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
DiNotte - the best I've used - with regards to the original question, I run mine on flash mode.

Ahneida Ride
02-14-2011, 09:44 PM
1+ on the Dinotte

Although we fret over our backlights since we have no control over the motorists behind us, don't the vast majority of accidents occur in front of us? So front lights are at least as important for safety.

Which is why I also run with a DiNotte front amber daytime light. :beer:

Fixed
02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
i like the psychedelic strobe light on my helmet and a black light on the bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIJDFF2N2YE&feature=related
this can be seen over a half mile
cheers :)

A.T.&Love
02-15-2011, 01:02 AM
I wonder if flashers are more energy efficient? Because they're off half the time, right?

Fixed
02-15-2011, 01:07 AM
I wonder if flashers are more energy efficient? Because they're off half the time, right?
yes

spartacus
02-15-2011, 03:26 AM
If you only have one light then it has to be steady mode.
And, the light can be seen from one mile back on a straight road? - irrelevant.
What counts is the last three hundred feet.

Tom
02-15-2011, 04:35 AM
As someone said already, steady is far easier to range locate. Flashers are good for getting attention but you need a steady one so the driver of the overtaking vehicle can tell exactly where you are. Saab2000's right, the Cateye is superb, I like it because it has lights on the side. I was driving in from work one very early morning and my neighbor was leaving for his ride, despite a huge LED headlight and two taillights from 100 feet away he was virtually invisible from the side and I look for bikes.

I use the Cateye with one set of lights on blink and one set on steady. When I'm in an event that requires two, the other unit is on steady.

R2D2
02-15-2011, 05:06 AM
On Brevets we are required to use a steady red light. Partlly as it is easier for cars to judge distance, partly EU laws (ACP is in Paris), and partly as a consideration to following riders (flashing can get annoying).
I use a B&M combination light/reflector powered by two aa. It is very waterproof and lot of lights are only water resistant.My dynahub powers a charger that keeps batteries topped up during the day.
At night we are also required to wear reflective ankle straps and reflective vest/strap.

Bob Ross
02-15-2011, 06:15 AM
A flasher says "bike" in a way that nothing else does.

I would opine that reflective ankle straps [edit: or any type of reflective elements on the shoes, pedals, or ankles] are the best way to convey "bike" to approaching drivers (from either direction)

...but I'm in the One Steady/One Flashing Tailight camp.

Actually, if I did a lot more night riding, and in places more desolate than here (NYC), I'd seriously consider joining the Nine Steady/Twelve Flashing Tailight camp. And some of them would be orange, just to mix it up.

toaster
02-15-2011, 08:52 AM
From Effective Cycling by John Forester:

...Some people advocate rear lamps, either steady or flashing. Because a rear lamp can go out, and generator-powered rear lamps go out whenever you stop, it must have a backup reflector.

...The best choice for a bicycle is a new-technology, medium distance, large amber reflector (Clear would give a white reflection which would give a false indication of an approaching vehicle.)

...Amber reflectors are about 62% as bright as clear ones, but red reflectors are only 25% as bright as clear.

...Some people advocate flashing rear lights because these are visible from much greater distances for a given power consumption...The argument is foolish, because motorists don't base their steering commands on what they see far ahead. They steer according to what they see several hundred feet ahead, a visibility distance requirement well satisfied by less complex equipment. Flashing lights also have a serious disadvantage. Particularly at night, we estimate distance by relative movement between objects and surroundings. Interruptions in the light seriously impair this ability, so motorists are less certain about the position of a flashing light than a steady one.

...Drivers who have been drinking appear particularly susceptible to this befuddlement. (This is one theory put forth to explain why so many drunks drive into police cars stopped with their lights flashing.) For all these reasons, I do not advocate flashing lights.

salem
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
There has been a lot of mention of steady light facilitating the driver's ability to judge approach speed and passing. I won't disagree with that, but I'm not convinced that is a good (not absolutely convinced it is bad either). My impression is, the more comfortable the driver is with their ability to judge distance and approach speed (such as during daylight hours), the faster and closer they will pass. At night, I have ridden with rear lights in flash mode only and I'm always impressed with how much more room drivers leave as compared to during the day. I will also second the idea that two flashing lights, of difference brand and therefore flash frequency, is extremely noticeable.

rice rocket
02-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah, what Salem said. I understand that the solid light makes it easier to judge distances, but unless you're riding in traffic where closing speeds of motorists are >50 mph, I would think the flashing light would bring attention to your presence, and they would slow (or at least take time to acknowledge your presence).

I ride w/ a PB Superflash on flash mode, and I have a ~150 lumen rear custom light if I'm on a longer ride. If I'm just commuting though, PB Superflash rules b/c the battery life is ridiculous (>100 hrs on flash mode).

mpetry
02-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Try getting some reflective tape - not the junk at auto supply stores - look for SOLAS-A reflective tape at a marine supply store. Stick 3 or 4 pieces on the inside edge of the rim.

And, yes, the battery life is decreased if the LED flasher is on "steady".

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Ozz
02-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Try getting some reflective tape - not the junk at auto supply stores - look for SOLAS-A reflective tape at a marine supply store. Stick 3 or 4 pieces on the inside edge of the rim.

And, yes, the battery life is decreased if the LED flasher is on "steady".

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA
I just had to look up SOLAS to see what it was, and found this:

http://www.identi-tape.com/index.html

Everything anyone would want to be seen at night!

:beer:

mpetry
02-15-2011, 05:48 PM
good catch Ozz, yep, "Safety of Life at Sea". It's the stuff you'd put on your life jacket. Great stuff. The reflective tape sold in bike shops or auto supply is OK for a barricade or mailbox, but the good reflective tape is FAR better.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, Wa

noflysonme
02-15-2011, 11:06 PM
I saw a cyclist the other nite with 2 superflashes.

One steady on the seat post and one blinking on his ankle.

No way you could miss him from behind.

Birddog
02-16-2011, 09:09 AM
If your "blinkie" has only a regular blinking pattern i.e. off/on, sequential, etc, then you definitely need to invest in one of the newer versions like a PB Superflash. There are others too. The point is, get one that has a pattern that is interupted by an explosive type of blink. This keeps the driver from being mesmerized and helps them judge distance. If you don't believe me, compare them side by side and you'll notice a considerable difference.

SEABREEZE
02-16-2011, 09:40 AM
There has been a lot of mention of steady light facilitating the driver's ability to judge approach speed and passing. I won't disagree with that, but I'm not convinced that is a good (not absolutely convinced it is bad either). My impression is, the more comfortable the driver is with their ability to judge distance and approach speed (such as during daylight hours), the faster and closer they will pass. At night, I have ridden with rear lights in flash mode only and I'm always impressed with how much more room drivers leave as compared to during the day. I will also second the idea that two flashing lights, of difference brand and therefore flash frequency, is extremely noticeable.

Very intersting thread, love all the input of perspectives.

Salem you raise a very interseting point, that at night drivers give more respect to flashing lights and stay further away.

Perhaps we should use flashing rear lights in the day as well. Do you think they will still give same amount of respect as they do at night.

My own logic says probably not, as they have natural light of the day, to better there judgement. At night they want to be safer than sorry, as they dont have the same visibility. I say sorry because they dont want to get into an accident, that could injure themselfs or ther car.

DiNotte light in video, dont understand why they would have a front white strobe. Pretty distracting to on coming traffic and piolit of bike for night time use..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPzmzBu9Y0o&NR=1

SEABREEZE
02-16-2011, 10:01 AM
i like the psychedelic strobe light on my helmet and a black light on the bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIJDFF2N2YE&feature=related
this can be seen over a half mile
cheers :)

Fixed, I get the strobe, pretty impressive, but what black light are you referring to.

Tom
02-16-2011, 10:13 AM
DiNotte light in video, dont understand why they would have a front white strobe...

There's a local guy, quite the rider - BBDave knows of who I speak - that has every electronic gadget available attached to his bike somewhere. I met him on the road one time in bright daylight and there was a screaming yellow LCD strobe just about blinding me. I chuckled to myself, thinking "Aw, man, not really necessary in broad daylight, is it?"

Two weeks later I'm hit head on by a moron on the bike path (I was merely an idiot in this situation) who claimed that they never saw me. We collided in the middle of a half mile stretch of straight level path.

That being said, I'm also with the camp that says it's just a bike ride. You go with the risk reward thing. Put enough light on the back so the people that pay attention can see you. There isn't enough you can do about drunks/texters/phone assholes, if they hit you they hit you.

SEABREEZE
02-16-2011, 10:34 AM
There's a local guy, quite the rider - BBDave knows of who I speak - that has every electronic gadget available attached to his bike somewhere. I met him on the road one time in bright daylight and there was a screaming yellow LCD strobe just about blinding me. I chuckled to myself, thinking "Aw, man, not really necessary in broad daylight, is it?"

Two weeks later I'm hit head on by a moron on the bike path (I was merely an idiot in this situation) who claimed that they never saw me. We collided in the middle of a half mile stretch of straight level path.

That being said, I'm also with the camp that says it's just a bike ride. You go with the risk reward thing. Put enough light on the back so the people that pay attention can see you. There isn't enough you can do about drunks/texters/phone assholes, if they hit you they hit you.

I get the front strobe for day time riding, but not understanding why for night time riding...yea it brings attention, but it in it self could distract and blind on coming traffic, also how does it help the rider of the bike see out in front of him, with it constantly flashing.

Imagine cars constantly flahing from driving lights to high beams..at night

Mark McM
02-16-2011, 11:22 AM
I would opine that reflective ankle straps [edit: or any type of reflective elements on the shoes, pedals, or ankles] are the best way to convey "bike" to approaching drivers (from either direction).

This is actually a legal requirement in Massachusetts, in addition to the (steady) red light on the rear and a white light on the front:

"(8) During the period from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, the operator shall display to the front of his bicycle a lamp emitting a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet, and to the rear of said bicycle either a lamp emitting a red light, or a red reflector visible for not less than six hundred feet when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle. A generator powered lamp which emits light only when the bicycle is moving shall meet the requirements of this clause.

"(9) During the period from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, the operator shall display on each pedal of his bicycle a reflector, or around each of his ankles reflective material visible from the front and rear for a distance of six hundred feet, and reflectors or reflective material, either on said bicycle or on the person of the operator, visible on each side for a distance of six hundred feet, when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps of a motor vehicle. This clause shall not prohibit a bicycle or its operator to be equipped with lights or reflectors in addition to those required by clauses (8) and (9)."

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter85/Section11B

There may be similar laws in other states

Tom
02-16-2011, 11:44 AM
I get the front strobe for day time riding, but not understanding why for night time riding...yea it brings attention, but it in it self could distract and blind on coming traffic, also how does it help the rider of the bike see out in front of him, with it constantly flashing.

Imagine cars constantly flahing from driving lights to high beams..at night

Not sure you got the point. In response to the 'why the front strobe' question posted before, I made an ironical post about a guy that runs a front strobe in the daytime because it's probably the only gadget he had not already tried, my reaction being you don't need front end warning in the daytime and a fortnight later somebody riding a bike failed to see me coming for about fifteen seconds and turned directly into me. I suppose one could make the leap to think it was a post advocating a front strobe at night but since the idea is so clearly absurd it's difficult to understand how. Or perhaps my sense of humor is at a low ebb.